Alternative rack for Allant+ 8

Because the spacing was tight between the MIK top plate and the fender, I installed my spare MIK adapter on to the top plate...redundant somewhat, but it is easier to put the bag on, and take it off.
Ok, yes maybe redundant, but yet suitable. You must have also wished the MIK top plate would fit the 8s pannier rack without the need for the intermediary rack. But you made it work.Yet another solution. Nice one.

Ok, yes maybe redundant, but yet suitable. You must have also wished the MIK top plate would fit the 8s pannier rack without the need for the intermediary rack. But you made it work.Yet another solution. Nice one.
Yes, that would have been nice, but this is really a better option than what Trek stuck us with. I still scratch my head as to why they did this. I own a Vado 4, and it has a normal rack and suspension fork and seat post, and so does its big brother, the Vado 5. Trek should have followed suit, because their current rack offering on the 8s and 9s is very limiting with bag options. Not a smart move considering they are targeting commuters. Thanks for the responses and solution.

@Sparky731
Well, I finally installed the MIK rack using the "p-clamps" you suggested, and with help from @Sparky731. Trek should have manufactured the 8s with the rack or similar as the one installed on the 7s. Everybody is running panniers, and just want a traditional trunk bag. This solution solves the problem for me, and many thanks...(also to retiredNH who first came up with the idea). Forgot to give major props to @offthewall who came up with the "p-clamp" idea....my bad.
Where did you get that nice MIK compatible deck? All I could find is this lame deck.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Lame_Rack.JPG
    Lame_Rack.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 49
I tried those links and I did not find the rack deck in question. I must suck at searching the internet too, because I cannot find that rack anywhere - ugh.

Thanks for trying to help!
This is the only place I could find it, and it says not available :(

Attachments

• MIK_Rear_Deck.JPG
    MIK_Rear_Deck.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 54
Thanks guys!

Those links show the simpler rack though, I want the one shown on top in the attached image. It looks like the legs might be a tad longer too, which might help a little as well, although the rack looks to be a little thicker than the simple one, which might be why the legs are longer...

Thanks again for your help! It's much appreciated!

Attachments

• Both_Racks.JPG
    Both_Racks.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 57
Thanks guys!

Those links show the simpler rack though, I want the one shown on top in the attached image. It looks like the legs might be a tad longer too, which might help a little as well, although the rack looks to be a little thicker than the simple one, which might be why the legs are longer...

Thanks again for your help! It's much appreciated!
The I one purchased directly from Giant (the link given by @Sefutau2020, does in fact look like the top picture. Look at all of the actual racks in this thread. They look like the top picture.

Thanks offthewall!
I’ll take a closer look. Might even see about getting glasses - lol
Yes, the legs on the Giant rack may be too short — they were for most of us who added the rack to our 8s racks. Previous conversations within this tread allude to our mounting solutions. Hopefully one will work for you.

Yes, the legs on the Giant rack may be too short — they were for most of us who added the rack to our 8s racks. Previous conversations within this tread allude to our mounting solutions. Hopefully one will work for you.
Thanks Sparky731!

Guys,
Ok, I think I figured out my rear rack/bag dealio. Instead of adapting a rack deck to my existing Tero X fender supports and then getting a new small bag for the new deck, I adapted an old (but never used) motorcycle gas tank bag to work with my existing fender support rails. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. It's just the right size, I didn't want a large bag, and the Velcro attachment makes installation and removal super quick and easy.

Here are a couple pics. The second one shows the Velcro attachment undone, the other side is identical.

Attachments

• Both_Bags_Right_SM.jpg
    Both_Bags_Right_SM.jpg
    382.9 KB · Views: 68
  • Sedici_Bag_Attachment_SM.jpg
    Sedici_Bag_Attachment_SM.jpg
    581.2 KB · Views: 68
Guys,
Ok, I think I figured out my rear rack/bag dealio. Instead of adapting a rack deck to my existing Tero X fender supports and then getting a new small bag for the new deck, I adapted an old (but never used) motorcycle gas tank bag to work with my existing fender support rails. I'm very pleased with how it turned out. It's just the right size, I didn't want a large bag, and the Velcro attachment makes installation and removal super quick and easy.

Here are a couple pics. The second one shows the Velcro attachment undone, the other side is identical.
I like it and think it is well done.....and cost effective. Awesome.

Back