Tero X 5.0 Fenders removed

Looks so naked!

What size frame is that? My XL has enough room on the frame part of the seatpost to mount a Varia. If I tried putting it on the dropper post like that I'd probably eject it 5 times per ride.

That looks so much better! I really don’t like fenders.

I get they serve a purpose, but can’t stand the look.

This is a size (L)... I would need a bigger o-ring to mount it to the frame, it's really tight on the seat post with the one supplied. I am curious..you have it mounted on your frame and it still reads correctly? I was concerned about getting too close to the tire, like the image below...maybe I should go get the larger o-ring and give it a try.
You can see it in profile in this pic from my thread: https://forums.electricbikereview.com/threads/i-bought-a-turbo-tero-x-6-0-ama.52857/post-606315

It has been working fine for me mounted like that for a year. It might work "better" if it were higher? But I haven't tried. You can see in the pic how the seat is slammed there so there'd be no way to mount it on the actual dropper post. To mount higher I'd need a seat mount. That is the stock rubber band. It's just very snug.

The only time there has been a car behind me that the radar didn't see was when someone paced me for half a mile. Since there was no speed differential, it quit showing the traffic. When I shoulder checked I jumped.

I've also seen it be unhappy when riding near another Vario owner. Just constant errors, presumably due to radar interference.

You can see it in profile in this pic from my thread: https://forums.electricbikereview.com/threads/i-bought-a-turbo-tero-x-6-0-ama.52857/post-606315

It has been working fine for me mounted like that for a year. It might work "better" if it were higher? But I haven't tried. You can see in the pic how the seat is slammed there so there'd be no way to mount it on the actual dropper post. To mount higher I'd need a seat mount. That is the stock rubber band. It's just very snug.

The only time there has been a car behind me that the radar didn't see was when someone paced me for half a mile. Since there was no speed differential, it quit showing the traffic. When I shoulder checked I jumped.

I've also seen it be unhappy when riding near another Vario owner. Just constant errors, presumably due to radar interference.
I have a Garmin seat mount - it bolts to those two holes in the seat. Gets it a little higher and I worry (a little) less about it coming off.

Pic stolen from the web, but it looks like this:

1711573070966.png

My Varia has the blinking light built in.

The stock mount is pretty terrible given the price of the Varia. It won't stay in place when twisting the Varia in and out, and the rubber will snap at some point.
I was paranoid about that at first, but I've been over some rough terrain and never had an issue. Having to hold the base to twist it on/off isn't great, though. I'm going to try your suggested mount.
(I also reassure myself that my bike would beep if the radar fell off and went out of range, so it should be hard to lose)

I was paranoid about that at first, but I've been over some rough terrain and never had an issue. Having to hold the base to twist it on/off isn't great, though. I'm going to try your suggested mount.
(I also reassure myself that my bike would beep if the radar fell off and went out of range, so it should be hard to lose)
My thoughts exactly on the disconnect sound if it ever fell off -- but I always turn it off on hike and bike trails so that wasn't foolproof.

Keep us posted on the new bracket that Avalanche suggested.
Didn't work for me. With no spacers (so set up for the largest tube diameter) it doesn't fit where my current mount is: The base of the dropper post just above the top of the seat tube. With spacers, it could probably go on the moving part of the dropper post, but at that point I might as well get the seat mount.

for those contemplating the radar, they're on sale now:
I highly recommend them. Before I bought mine, I watched reviews and "imagined" what it would be like given the devices capabilities. The ideas you have about weaknesses (like two lane roads, or range, or false alarms) are really not a problem at all in actual use. Having a mental picture of what's behind you is really nice.

It's got some flaws (like occasionally throwing errors which the Specialized display turns into a warning box) and I wish it would remember my default blinkenlight setting. I would also prefer it charged with USB C instead of micro B. But if I lost mine tomorrow I'd immediately order a replacement.

Back