1UP-USA Racks - I'm a fan

I've noticed with my QuikRStuff Mach2 (with 56 inch max ebike wheelbase) it looked like I had a lot wobble and bounce the first time I used it with my Himiway Cobra Pro (52.6 wheel base, 4.8" fat tires, 90lbs). I forgot to lock the rear and fork suspension and it was very secure and way less wobble after that.

A Giant Trance X E that I previously owned and the Levo that replaced it as well as a Norco efatbike all have 1200 mm (47”) or less wheel bases so I’m able to secure the arms further up. Perhaps that might explain how very little wobble I encounter on the road.

Patent wise, I can’t see how they could equal or improve on the QuikrStuff rack with their next gen SD without engaging in serious legal entanglement. There must have been some intense brainstorming occurring at HQ in order for them to try and 1Up the competition.

A Giant Trance X E that I previously owned and the Levo that replaced it as well as a Norco efatbike all have 1200 mm (47”) or less wheel bases so I’m able to secure the arms further up. Perhaps that might explain how very little wobble I encounter on the road.

Patent wise, I can’t see how they could equal or improve on the QuikrStuff rack with their next gen SD without engaging in serious legal entanglement. There must have been some intense brainstorming occurring at HQ in order for them to try and 1Up the competition.
I'm my experience with other platform racks from Thule or Yakima.... They all wobble. 1Up has a bit of wobble naturally but less than others that I've tried.... And with 1Up I'm confident that my bikes aren't going anywhere.
I saw that video review too... my findings are not similar.

Last edited:
This is a very useful thread. I took a close look at the photos Prairie Dog posted and the wheel arm alignment looks very similar to my Evelo Omega position. Most photos or video tutorials I've seen look fairly similar in that regard. The arms rest a little lower than I would like for complete confidence, but other than the aforementioned video, most users report good results with their 1Up.

I am using a hitch riser on my Subaru Legacy sedan which has relatively low ground clearance. https://a.co/d/5eHGRke .
I know these things reduce the tongue weight capacity somewhat but hopefully I'm okay at 170 lbs maximum (including rack and two bikes). Any thoughts about these risers in conjunction with the 1Up? I did use my previous Hollywood rack without the riser but the sound of the occasional scrape on steep driveways is much more nerve racking than any dentist drill. Yikes!

Last edited:
I used to own the Super duty 2 inch double boy and it was so rock solid I would do a Ronny Popeil and "set it and forget it" Once I sold the vehicle with the Stealth hitch and the 1 Up double boy ( a kinda sad day) I ended up buying the 1.25 Quick Rack single. It's still "Ronny style, set it and forget it" Probably the biggest no brainer in the history of bike racks. Plus it's built in America. I mean, Merica. ;)

I used to own the Super duty 2 inch double boy and it was so rock solid I would do a Ronny Popeil and "set it and forget it" Once I sold the vehicle with the Stealth hitch and the 1 Up double boy ( a kinda sad day) I ended up buying the 1.25 Quick Rack single. It's still "Ronny style, set it and forget it" Probably the biggest no brainer in the history of bike racks. Plus it's built in America. I mean, Merica. ;)

Yup yup yup. Especially when I see the Thule, Yakima, and Kuat plastic equivalents. Good marketing I s'pose...and I understand that some specific use cases require certain racks. I often hear "1UP is so expensive". No....1UP is not particularly expensive....at least not any more expensive than Thule, Kuat or Yakima....and my 1UP guaranteed will outlast the others and more soundly hold my bikes. I can barely force myself to load my bike on a Thule Easy Fold XT rack ($850-$1000)....man what a plastic piece of JUNK (that does serve a purpose for some use cases). Thule T2 Pro XTR is better imo ($750) but is a no-go if you have a bike with fenders. 1Up is more versatile, easier to install, easier to store away, does it all better, does it all more reliably, and doesn't have any plastic bits. Nuf said.

Last edited:
So, it’s official. 1Up has released the new Super Duty which is now capable of carrying bikes weighing up 100lbs each. It appears to be built burlier than its predecessor (in particular the arms) and that’s evident as it tips the scales at 37lbs for the single. A key feature is a release button that disengages the ratchet system and allows for easier one-handed operation. It also has adjustable trays to fit bikes with longer wheelbases and will also accommodate tires up to 5" without requiring a spacer kit. With that said, nothing earth shattering as expected.

Jordan_Rosen_Photography-_W3A2689-EDIT__84459.jpg

So, it’s official. 1Up has released the new Super Duty which is now capable of carrying bikes weighing up 100lbs each. It appears to be built burlier than its predecessor (in particular the arms) and that’s evident as it tips the scales at 37lbs for the single. A key feature is a release button that disengages the ratchet system and allows for easier one-handed operation. It also has adjustable trays to fit bikes with longer wheelbases and will also accommodate tires up to 5" without requiring a spacer kit. With that said, nothing earth shattering as expected.

Ahh....well that's cool. Thankfully these updates don't compel me to ditch my 1 year old Super Duty in favor of the newer iteration. My heaviest bike is < 60 lbs.
I'm not entirely certain that the new ratchet system will make it any less wonky to release the bike.....but I have 2 arms, 2 legs, and a nose and seem to be able to manage.
All of these platform style racks are wonky to release in one way or the other.

The Super Duty Single price has changed and is now 33% more ($600)
That might be the only earth-shattering news of its release. Anyone ordering one as of today will have to eat the increase. A c-note lower than the QS rack but with still fewer features that are integrated in the Mach 2. More blog details of the release here.

I’m content with my previous gen SD even though I had to pay extra for the fat tire spacer kit.

That might be the only earth-shattering news of its release. Anyone ordering one as of today will have to eat the increase. A c-note lower than the QS rack but with still fewer features that are integrated in the Mach 2. More blog details of the release here.

I’m content with my previous gen SD even though I had to pay extra for the fat tire spacer kit.
I am content too BUT: I had always intended to purchase a Super Duty Add-On at some point. I wonder how this will be handled? I don't see that they are making the old Super Duty and now it is the new Super Duty.

He said Super Doodie lol.

Edit: Geeezuz the new Super Duty Add On Silver is $395!!?!! If I recall it had been $250. I had started this thread because 1Up is awesome and in my opinion was a bargain against equivalent Thule, Yakima, Kuat etc.....but these NEW prices aren't so awesome. I just looked up my receipt.....My Super Duty Single was $430 on 07/31/2023.

Last edited:
I am content too BUT: I had always intended to purchase a Super Duty Add-On at some point. I wonder how this will be handled? I don't see that they are making the old Super Duty and now it is the new Super Duty.

He said Super Doodie lol.

Edit: Geeezuz the new Super Duty Add On Silver is $395!!?!! If I recall it had been $250. I had started this thread because 1Up is awesome and in my opinion was a bargain against equivalent Thule, Yakima, Kuat etc.....but these NEW prices aren't so awesome. I just looked up my receipt.....My Super Duty Single was $430 on 07/31/2023.
Yea, good question. That’s something that you might want to raise as I’m sure there are others who would also like to know. I can only speculate the new add on versions could be fitted without issue? It would be rather upsetting if that wasn’t the case.

Well, consider yourself lucky that you don’t have to deal with horrendous exchange rates. I paid $800 Cad two years ago for my SD single + addon. It was still cheaper than anything comparable from other rack makers.

Yea, good question. That’s something that you might want to raise as I’m sure there are others who would also like to know. I can only speculate the new add on versions could be fitted without issue? It would be rather upsetting if that wasn’t the case.

Well, consider yourself lucky that you don’t have to deal with horrendous exchange rates. I paid $800 Cad two years ago for my SD single + addon. It was still cheaper than anything comparable from other rack makers.

Ya I called 1UP and asked them. They said that they will not be manufacturing the old Super Duty Add On version....but that any of the add-ons can be used in conjunction with my older version Super Duty Single rack.
So....for example...I could buy the silver Quick Rack Add On to carry my Vado SL (50lb weight capacity on that tray) and use the Super Duty tray to carry my full sized Vado (75lb tray capacity). So for me this is not a big issue. Others with differing bike weights might need to add a Heavy Duty add-on to their old Super Duty.

Been using my Super Duty for, dunno, 6 years now? It replaced a $300 Yakima that had some problems and was well on its way to disintegrating to rust and dust after a similar time on the car. The 1ups are really expensive, but after half a decade mine still looks works like it did when new. Only real complaint was the catch to fold the rack up and down was a pain to use. I added the EZ Pull and it made that a whole lot easier. Really should be standard with the rack IMO.

New one looks like a nice evolution. Expensive, but they hold their value really well and basically last forever.

Ya I called 1UP and asked them. They said that they will not be manufacturing the old Super Duty Add On version....but that any of the add-ons can be used in conjunction with my older version Super Duty Single rack.
So....for example...I could buy the silver Quick Rack Add On to carry my Vado SL (50lb weight capacity on that tray) and use the Super Duty tray to carry my full sized Vado (75lb tray capacity). So for me this is not a big issue. Others with differing bike weights might need to add a Heavy Duty add-on to their old Super Duty.
A bit of a compromise but I suppose they had to come up with some kind of a work around to deal with owners of older versions.

Does anyone use their 1Up wheel locks? I do, almost all the time when I stop for sundries, coffee, snacks....

I came across RockyMount's lock system that uses a beefy 10mm chain that attaches directly to the rack. No whimpy cables like I've seen on other racks. S'pose one could just go out and buy a chain lock and wrap it around but I do like its method of integration.

1713469882145.png

New one looks like a nice evolution. Expensive, but they hold their value really well and basically last forever.
I'm a little relieved actually. I agree the knob is a very nice upgrade feature on the new n' improved version, but I'm happy to have pocketed the 33% increase instead. At the new price, I would have probably stepped up another notch to the Quikr Stuff rack.

As a newbie, I have a few more questions about the 1Up Super Duty Double:

Taking the advice of some other users I just purchased the EZ pull handle. However, I also installed the 1up license plate holder accessory last week, and at first glance the two accessory's look incompatible. Is that the case? I'm also wondering if the holder was even necessary. While I live in a very rural area where I'm unlikely to get hassled over license plate visibility, I often travel to the "big city" (Boston or NYC) for business, where the police are much more inclined to issue citations for the sake of fund-raising. Anybody have thoughts about this? The license plate does look, at least to my eye, a little goofy perched on top of the folded rack, but I can live with that if it means less risk of being ticketed. In that case, the holder paid for itself.

Thanks again in advance for any constructive comments or suggestions.

Edit: One more question. For those using multiple wheel locks, do you label the lock cylinder and corresponding key? Otherwise, it seems like an exercise to fumble with different key and lock combinations each time.

Last edited:
At the new price, I would have probably stepped up another notch to the Quikr Stuff rack.
I’m not having buyer’s remorse but there are some nice features with the QuikrStuff that are hard to overlook one of which is the release bar. I usually have the SD in the single tray configuration most of the time when I’m not riding somewhere else with the missus. However, in instances when I need to attach the add on, I would also be required to install the EZ pull each time which can be a hassle as it’s only constructed for a multi tray setup. I just feel more inclined to reach down and pull the release bar in the double setup. Again, this only applies to owners of single tray racks with add ons. One of the features that I like about the QuikrStuff rack is that a pull trigger for the release bar is integrated into every add on which is much more convenient. I do like the fact that I can have the single in its folded position and still open the back hatch of my vehicle.

My locks are all keyed alike with the exception of the ones that I needed to accommodate a fatbike spacer kit which I obtained as recently as last year and so those keys do require tagging.

Last edited:
I’m not having buyer’s remorse but there are some nice features with the QuikrStuff that are hard to overlook one of which is the release bar. I usually have the SD in the single tray configuration most of the time when I’m not riding somewhere else with the missus. However, in instances when I need to attach the add on, I would also be required to install the EZ pull each time which can be a hassle as it’s only constructed for a multi tray setup. I just feel more inclined to reach down and pull the release bar in the double setup. Again, this only applies to owners of single tray racks with add ons. One of the features that I like about the QuikrStuff rack is that a pull trigger for the release bar is integrated into every add on which is much more convenient. I do like the fact that I can have the single in its folded position and still open the back hatch of my vehicle.

My locks are all keyed alike with the exception of the ones that I needed to accommodate a fatbike spacer kit which I obtained as recently as last year and so those keys do require tagging.
In retrospect, I regret not buying the single with the add on option since I too only need the double capability once in a while. I suspect the single would be more manageable for single bike use (which is most of the time for me), but I did not understand the wisdom of that originally.

I used the rack for only the second time today, and other than the slightly clumsy process of folding and unfolding the rack it is a pleasure to use. It was also a little unwieldy to remove the bike as I felt like I needed a third hand. I used my chin to balance the bike (what could possibly go wrong doing that?) while I released the 2nd arm. There must be a better way, but then again, I'm new to this thing.

Still, I'm very happy I will not need the damn fake crossbar again which was required for my former Hollywood rack.

In retrospect, I regret not buying the single with the add on option since I too only need the double capability once in a while. I suspect the single would be more manageable for single bike use (which is most of the time for me), but I did not understand the wisdom of that originally.

I used the rack for only the second time today, and other than the slightly clumsy process of folding and unfolding the rack it is a pleasure to use. It was also a little unwieldy to remove the bike as I felt like I needed a third hand. I used my chin to balance the bike (what could possibly go wrong doing that?) while I released the 2nd arm. There must be a better way, but then again, I'm new to this thing.

Still, I'm very happy I will not need the damn fake crossbar again which was required for my former Hollywood rack.
Being able to attach and remove the stand-alone base rack and add-on as separate components were what enticed me to pull the trigger on the single SD.

I suspect 1Up received plenty of feedback with regards to the awkward manner in which owners must go through when holding and balancing bikes while offloading hence the improved one-handed design feature which likely answered that call. RockyMount uses a similar system as well as Kuat with its Piston Pro and I think that this is an area that QuikrStuff could also improve upon. When it comes to removing a bike, I usually disengage the front wheel ratchet first and extend the arm out as far as possible. The back arm will continue to hold the bike in place while I disengage the rear ratchet. Once it’s released, I simply roll the bike slightly forward and lift it off the tray. It's easier if your bike sports a shorter wheel base. I usually bring along my portable folding stand which solves the problem of where to park the bike whether I’m loading or unloading. It comes in handy whenever there isn't a place to lean it on. It also allows me to prep for a ride and get all of my gear organized as well as if I’m returning from an outing on the bike.

PXL_20240421_170051994.jpg

I guess you could always re-purpose that cross bar as a repair stand accessory if you haven't done so already.

IMG_0888.jpeg

Back