2023 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

Mazovian Gravel 2023, East Mazovia Edition, MG 250 (160 mile) Race
Day 1, June 17th, 2023

'It is not a leisure trip, brother. It is a race. You need to avoid stopping, and use as much of assistance as the battery range allows!' said Jacek as he was transporting me to the elegant Warsaw neighbourhood of Royal Wilanów. This year 160 mile and 316 mile racers started from so called Wilanów Beach (which is just an urban meadow), and each starting group had its time slot. 600 people (2 x 300) paid to participate, several did not show up. There was even trading the 'starter packages' in the weeks before the race! (The original fee was 80 to 95 US$).

View attachment 156204
The 8:10 am group starting the ride. I could count 10 riders there.

View attachment 156205
The race motto was: "Accept the Challenge". Completely ready to ride! (See the socks, a part of the Starter Package, very nice!)

View attachment 156206
The tall man Michał B. of Łódź (MG500 #10 - his Pinarello H tyre cracked so he was not on the podium later -- he had to apply the inner tube for the tubeless system) has been my gravel cycling mentor. He said "The Distance Only Exists In Your Mind". A great lesson!

View attachment 156207
My Starting Group 37 (9:05 am). The organizers Bartek and Marcin were perfectly aware who I was. That I was a senior person with medical conditions, and the only e-biker in the race. Both were very friendly, and Bartek approached me and asked if I was OK to ride, and whether I planned to make the race in one or two days. The man in blue behind me was next to me at the finish line, and the man at my right hand side was the second behind me. The man with the Swiss Cross became #38.

View attachment 156208
The "slow" start. We should get to the flying start in 7 minutes minimum but I realized I was left alone by the group! (It took me 4:55 to get to the flying start line).

View attachment 156209
The first trap set by the organizers: An earthwork requiring the rider getting off the bike and carrying the bike uphill in loose soil, tree roots and rubble. And, carry the bike down the "hill". That was the first time I was glad I took the lightweight Vado SL for the race!

View attachment 156210
Riding in semi coma after my crash.

The Crash (Always Wear The Helmet!)
The route required to leave the path along the Royal Canal, ride the pavement for some distance and return to the Canal trail. As I was negotiating a speed bump on the pavement at some 30 km/h, I lost balance and crashed with my e-bike to the right side. The witnesses said I was laying for a while (I must have fainted) then vigorously got up, said everything was okay and restarted the ride. In fact, I was in semi coma and only could see the track on my Wahoo bike computer! As Jacek was monitoring me, he instantly drove his car to intercept me, and he stopped me, with the witnesses following me on their bikes. As I sat on a bench, they started asking me questions to realise I was semi-conscious. I must have spent a good half an hour on the bench to come back to my senses!

View attachment 156211
The Specialized Echelon II helmet withstood the impact and saved my head. Road rash on the knee, elbow and shoulder was disinfected by Jacek, and it dried up soon. Yes, and a bruised thigh and shoulder. I was continuing the ride anyway.

I admit I was trying riding my Vado 6.0 for a distance since a stop in Nieporęt. A very bad decision! The heavy Vado with inadequate tyres was not a proper ride for an 'ultramarathon' ("ultra" in the sense of "technically very difficult"). I returned to riding my Vado SL in Korycin, and it remained my e-bike of choice to the end of the race!

View attachment 156212
Modern Poland (especially the well developed regions) is the country of asphalt and dirt roads :) Yes you find gravel road in less developed areas such as East Mazovia; and in forests. As gravel roads are, well, despised, a decent gravel road is a rarity in my country!

View attachment 156213
I had no time for taking pictures! Here, the Professional Firefighter Station in Jadów, one of few towns of the area. Jadów is a popular holiday destination on the picturesque River Liwiec.

View attachment 156214
Horses met somewhere on the trail (Poland is big in horse breeding!)

View attachment 156215
Met my Guardian Angel Jacek in the village of Liw. We went straight to the local Inn for some decent food!

View attachment 156216
Zhur with sausage, followed by a pork chop with vegetable salad. I was only on nutrients on my ride until Liw!

View attachment 156217
Me taking the photo of the Castle in Liw.

View attachment 156218
The Castle of Liw with a motorcycle rally and rock concerts! (See the tents).

A historical note

The castle of Liw upon River Liwiec was completed in 1429 by the order of Duke of Mazovia Janusz I. Liw was a big city at that time, having its own Land (sub-province). Liw was even bigger under the reign of Duchess Anna of Mazovia and Queen Bona Sforza in 16th c. The castle was damaged in mid 17th c. by the Swedish, and Liw slowly turned into a little village... Same as the big city of Nur in Mazovia that is a small village nowadays, too. However, the Castle of Liw has been reconstructed, and a lot is being done to attract visitors there (like, motorcycle rallies, rock concerts...)

View attachment 156220
The MG pitstop in Liw. We were there late (I was the second last rider of MG 250 there!) We were met with very warm and hospitable reception that you can expect in Polish countryside! The local people were aware of the Race (I spoke with two farmers sitting in their Land Rover while I had a short stop on my ride, so I know it). The people of Liw wanted to show their hospitality at the best to the cycling visitors! Only boiled fresh cabbage was available. We were not hungry, so we thanked our hosts and only took some banana on our leave.

View attachment 156227
Now, the 'ultra' has just started. What you can see is a weak representation of future kilometres, what we gravel cyclists call "ujeby & wyrypy" (U&W), which can be translated as "trail that is excessively exhausting, and segments on which it is easy to crash".

View attachment 156228
Fording the Creek Struga ('Struga' means 'a creek'). Shoeless and sockless! The bottom was covered with fine clean sand at the left hand side and everybody was walking their bikes there. Then, you were walking in mud, were cleaning your feet with grass and... you were swarmed by mosquito! Fancy how fast we were putting our socks and shoes again to escape the insects!

The next kilometres were so full of U&W that I must have been pale with fear on my face. Jacek was observing the trail exit from his car. One cyclist emerged from the trail walking his bike, pale, unresponsive, apparently totally exhausted. I crashed again: this time in soft sand...

View attachment 156229
We got in Grębki to an agro-touristic ranch and stables with I was familiar with from the past. Yes, they had a spare room. With the bathroom outside and a bunk bed inside :) Oh, we could now take a shower, set the batteries, phones, and the Wahoo on charging, and have a couple until we fell fast asleep!

View attachment 156230
151 km on the Day 1.

tbc...
Geez, Stefan! I'm glad you're ok! That was an epic ride, congrats on completing it 🥳👏🥳👏🥳!!!

but I remember you complaining about your legs not being strong enough to ever ride a SL bike ... and now you just finished an ultra marathon? ... on an SL .?? :p
It was the 76 km on Vado 6.0 that helped me finish the Day 1 earlier :) It was very important related to the total battery energy available, and to the charging plan overnight. The SL alone would not let me do the complete ride! All these matters such as carrying 4 e-bike chargers, 2 USB-C ones, the extension cord. three big batteries, four Range Extenders...
No, e-bikes are not made for ultramarathons!

However, I know what you wanted to say. Yes, my shape has improved significantly for the last 3+ years, especially in relation to endurance. The experience gained matters, too. Change in mentality. Hard workouts! Important mods to my e-bikes. And it is true riding Vado SL was the greatest factor in the improvement of my physical form.

And imagine carrying your heavy ebike over all that ....
Well, I was lucky as the northern part of the ride (Nieporęt - Korytnica) was relatively easy and involved many asphalt roads so it could be ridden on the Vado 6.0. Still, I had a moment of fear in one of the forests: I had to make a sharp turn left and then the rear wheel slipped in the mud (but I regained the balance).

Jacek is such a good brother and deserves a medal for being your SAG. 😍
Oh, I totally agree!

1687232142113.png

My Vado 6.0 ride with the battery swap at the 47th kilometre from Nieporęt. As other 255 km race members comment now: 'Everything from Liw to Góra Kalwaria in the south was bloodthirsty sand' :)

The community uses these terms for the region: "Flatpoland" or "Flatsand Poland" :D

Last edited:
It’s been raining steadily for several days now. No grievances on my behalf as we really do need the moisture. It’s good news for who have been battling the wildfires and relief for some of the evacuees who can now return to their homes. In fact, we’ve had so much rain that some regions have experienced severe flooding. It’s been such a transformation in weather compared to the past two weeks when we were facing record high temps and drought conditions.

The rain, in fact, turned to rare snow along stretches of the Icefields Parkway from Lake Louise to Jasper with some areas receiving up to 20 cm. It was a little over a week ago that I was riding trails in Louise and it was bone dry at the time.

Web capture_19-6-2023_191420_globalnews.ca.jpeg

I said to heck with the rain and decided to go for a ride on this wet and blustery day. I donned my rain gear, slapped the Speedrocker fenders on the bike and headed out to Lacombe along the Trans Canada Trail. The 66km outing wasn’t typically a difficult one but with the temperature hovering around 7C and strong SW wind gusts along with the rain made for an interesting ride nevertheless.

Web capture_19-6-2023_201147_connect.garmin.com.jpeg

PXL_20230619_180236557.PORTRAIT.jpg

The Blindman River. According to folklore, this tributary received its name from the Cree Tribe when one of their parties became snow blinded while traveling and needed to rest along the banks of the river.

PXL_20230619_174054702.jpg

Lacombe Lake and the surrounding lands. The rain was pretty consistent but a brief lull in the system allowed me to stop along the way to get some aerial shots.

DJI_0148 - frame at 0m3s.jpg

DJI_0145 - frame at 0m44s.jpg

Livestock and horses seem to be oblivious of the weather and all were quite content grazing in their respective surroundings.

PXL_20230619_200509693.jpg

PXL_20230619_204443538.jpg

Arriving in the heritage Town of Lacombe. I love the main street with its remarkably restored buildings and wide variety of arts and culture.

GH012072 - frame at 1m12s.jpg

GH012072 - frame at 1m27s.jpg

I’ve posted pics of the town center murals before, but I never seem to tire of gazing at these amazing works of tromp l’oeil any chance that I get.

PXL_20230619_194117570.jpg

PXL_20230619_194157675.jpg

PXL_20230619_194219269.jpg

PXL_20230619_194342507.PORTRAIT.jpg

This house caught my eye as I left the townsite. It used to be a pretty non-descript abode until someone decided that it needed a dramatic makeover. It’s home to a massage therapy business. Me likey! :cool:

PXL_20230619_194836260.jpg

Missed it by a day. The LA Vintage Machinery Club hosts an annual event every Father’s Day when tractor enthusiasts from all over Alberta gather to view and display antique machinery and farm equipment.

PXL_20230619_195355543.jpg

Heading home in the rain I was warm and dry but brought along a spare set of gloves just in case. It was also a good opportunity to test out a Shakedry Gore jacket as well as some Castelli shoe covers that seemed to have fared quite well.

GH012080 - frame at 0m54s (2).jpg

GH012081 - frame at 0m27s.jpg

One last stop along one of several convenient wood bridges as I make my way home.

PXL_20230619_182726723.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230619_190010234.jpg

Back on home turf, I came across one of several trees with severed limbs as a result of yesterday’s storm. More rain on the way but what looks to be clearing skies by Thursday.

PXL_20230619_211339699.jpg

It’s been raining steadily for several days now. No grievances on my behalf as we really do need the moisture. It’s good news for who have been battling the wildfires and relief for some of the evacuees who can now return to their homes. In fact, we’ve had so much rain that some regions have experienced severe flooding. It’s been such a transformation in weather compared to the past two weeks when we were facing record high temps and drought conditions.

The rain, in fact, turned to rare snow along stretches of the Icefields Parkway from Lake Louise to Jasper with some areas receiving up to 20 cm. It was a little over a week ago that I was riding trails in Louise and it was bone dry at the time.

View attachment 156277

I said to heck with the rain and decided to go for a ride on this wet and blustery day. I donned my rain gear, slapped the Speedrocker fenders on the bike and headed out to Lacombe along the Trans Canada Trail. The 66km outing wasn’t typically a difficult one but with the temperature hovering around 7C and strong SW wind gusts along with the rain made for an interesting ride nevertheless.

View attachment 156280

View attachment 156278

The Blindman River. According to folklore, this tributary received its name from the Cree Tribe when one of their parties became snow blinded while traveling and needed to rest along the banks of the river.

View attachment 156279
Lacombe Lake and the surrounding lands. The rain was pretty consistent but a brief lull in the system allowed me to stop along the way to get some aerial shots.

View attachment 156282
View attachment 156281
Livestock and horses seem to be oblivious of the weather and all were quite content grazing in their respective surroundings.

View attachment 156283
View attachment 156284
Arriving in the heritage Town of Lacombe. I love the main street with its remarkably restored buildings and wide variety of arts and culture.

View attachment 156285
View attachment 156286
I’ve posted pics of the town center murals before, but I never seem to tire of gazing at these amazing works of tromp l’oeil any chance that I get.

View attachment 156287
View attachment 156288
View attachment 156289
View attachment 156290
This house caught my eye as I left the townsite. It used to be a pretty non-descript abode until someone decided that it needed a dramatic makeover. It’s home to a massage therapy business. Me likey! :cool:

View attachment 156291
Missed it by a day. The LA Vintage Machinery Club hosts an annual event every Father’s Day when tractor enthusiasts from all over Alberta gather to view and display antique machinery and farm equipment.

View attachment 156292
Heading home in the rain I was warm and dry but brought along a spare set of gloves just in case. It was also a good opportunity to test out a Shakedry Gore jacket as well as some Castelli shoe covers that seemed to have fared quite well.

View attachment 156293
View attachment 156298
One last stop along one of several convenient wood bridges as I make my way home.

View attachment 156296
View attachment 156295
Back on home turf, I came across one of several trees with severed limbs as a result of yesterday’s storm. More rain on the way but what looks to be clearing skies by Thursday.

View attachment 156297
A great ride report ... you started in snow, @fooferdoggie had hail,
And it's June ...

And it's June ...
Thanks Art. It seems more like June-uary in some resort areas at higher elevations. Check out these 'Plan your trip' webcams particularly the ones located at the Banff Gondola, Maligne Lake in Jasper and the Columbia Ice Fields. Based on the views, I would not be planning any trips there over the next few days. 🥶

View attachment 156277

View attachment 156280

View attachment 156278

View attachment 156279

View attachment 156282
View attachment 156281

View attachment 156283
View attachment 156284

View attachment 156285
View attachment 156286

View attachment 156287
View attachment 156290

View attachment 156291

View attachment 156292

View attachment 156293
View attachment 156298

View attachment 156296
View attachment 156295

View attachment 156297
Especially good photos and commentary this time! Those murals truly are amazing.

Thanks Art. It seems more like June-uary in some resort areas at higher elevations. Check out these 'Plan your trip' webcams particularly the ones located at the Banff Gondola, Maligne Lake in Jasper and the Columbia Ice Fields. Based on the views, I would not be planning any trips there over the next few days. 🥶

June-uary ! I like that word, I am sure i will steal it. :p

And it's June ...
In Denver at least, hail's a monsoon-season phenomenon — summer and early fall — with impressive to apocalyptic thunderstorms almost every afternoon or evening. At my house, these brought significant hail maybe 12 times a season.

20160715_173959.jpg
20190601_141418.jpg

From our Denver back yard in 2016 and 2017. Two foot-high splashes from hailstone impacts on the lake weren't uncommon. Imagine getting caught in a barrage like that on a ride!

"Awesome" is so overused, but thunderstorms truly are awesome forces of nature. Kinda miss the atmospheric drama now that we're in coastal SoCal, but not on a daily basis, and no hail, thank you.

Last edited:
"Awesome" is so overused, but thunderstorms truly are awesome forces of nature. Kinda miss the atmospheric drama now that we're in coastal SoCal, but not on a daily basis, and no hail, thank you.
You said it. I can’t fathom how it must feel/sound to have these monstrous pieces of ice plummet from the sky onto your home or vehicles. This one came down about 35km from my home town last August and broke a Canadian record tipping the scales at 291 grams or about 10 oz.

1687287335889.png

You said it. I can’t fathom how it must feel/sound to have these monstrous pieces of ice plummet from the sky onto your home or vehicles. This one came down about 35km from my home town last August and broke a Canadian record tipping the scales at 291 grams or about 10 oz.

View attachment 156322
Wow!

We spend a lot of time cursing air resistance air around here, but it's not all bad. Without terminal velocities, hailstones much smaller than that could be lethal.

Double dose of new today. Beautiful sunny day, heading for 80 degrees plus, so I found a route on Ride With GPS over in Washington County, along the Vermont border, with lots of gravel and a bunch of climbing. I love riding in Washington County, but have never been to this particular area (near Greenwich). Loaded up the Creo and off we went, about forty minutes from home.

Second new item was my first chance to use the routing functions on my recently acquired Garmin Edge Explorer, after many years of iPhone/RWGPS. I’d already come to terms with a lot of the differences, but I didn’t even know about the graphic course elevation display that runs across the bottom of the Map screen - I love that - and hadn’t had much chance to play with the Climb Pro stuff either, most of the hills in Saratoga County being of shorter duration.

Well, that ain’t the case in Washington County! I already knew it to be a lot like southwestern Virginia, with big knob type hills, steep hills, roads winding all over the place, and not a lot of flat land when into the hilly areas. It was as lovely as I expected, super green and lush everywhere, and the dirt roads especially were absolutely deserted. Grinding up some of the 12% climbs I could wander all over the road without worrying about anything except the one large deer that burst out of the trees and ran across the road about twenty feet in front of me at one point.

So a lot of fun, quiet as hell, and really appreciated how well the Garmin led me around. At one point I ran into two other cyclists at a small junction halfway up what turned out to be a mountain and chatted with them for about ten minutes. Two retired guys on road bikes just out having a nice morning.

Not far from the start, and from looking at the route I knew I was going be going over this:

1687294739930.jpeg

No wonder this section was so tough.

1687294965014.jpeg

1687301905946.jpeg

The view from the top.

1687295490348.jpeg

And everywhere else, a whole lot of this.

1687295741897.jpeg

Last edited:
Another sunny day, first day of summer. After yesterday‘s successful foray into Washington County, I pulled another new route out of RWGPS and took off for Poultney, Vermont, about 50 miles away to do it again.

Poultney’s Main Street, Green Mountain College down there at the end:

1687385198421.jpeg

Today was a majority of heavily wooded gravel and really excellent hard dirt roads. Again, that liberating sense of having no idea where I was at any time, and not caring the least bit. Those dirt roads particularly were just terrific, but it was all pretty good. The hills lacked some of the savageness of yesterday, and that was fine with me as well.

1687385450053.jpeg

1687385512638.jpeg

At one point, this beautiful house at the intersection of two gravel forest roads. I could have moved right in and been happy from there forward.

1687385607923.jpeg

Of course, the lucky people who own it might have a different opinion on that!

All in all, not a bad way to spend the day. The ride over and back was very nice as well, rolling New York farmland and the edge of the Green Mountains all the way. Not bad, this whole being retired thing!

1687386029353.jpeg

(and no, the Creo was not leaning on the derailleur in that picture with the sign! It was carefully placed there to make sure no contact)

Attachments

• 1687385773671.jpeg
    1687385773671.jpeg
    805.2 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
1687459685832.png

I have been waiting for the right conditions to cycle to St Andrews again, I was doing it in my dads memory as he passed away just over a year ago and it was his favourite place to visit in Scotland! It was his happy place and he visited every year until a couple of years ago when he was no longer able to make the journey! Conditions were just perfect, I set off at 5.20am with the intention of heading up the coast road to the town which is an 82 mile trip! I would then head home inland which is just over 70 miles!

My first photo was at the Black Loch, I was hoping it would be flat calm as there was very little wind at this time but I was out of luck!

1687460130474.png

A couple of miles later I had to stop to capture this photo while the early morning mist was still hovering in the fields, it actually looked much more misty than the photo suggests!

1687460463137.png

I stopped taking photos until I reached the Forth bridges as I wanted to make sure I missed the busy morning traffic, I timed it perfectly!

1687460649852.png

1687460704284.png

I passed over the bridge and at the other end there were big queues of traffic trying to get over the new bridge, I sort of felt sorry for them...well maybe not! 😂 The old bridge is only for buses and taxis so it is very quiet these days, it can't handle the modern traffic! I was now on the coast road and tackled the big climb at Aberdour, the sign says 16% but it looks way steeper! I love the view down the Firth of Forth from here!

1687461055033.png

The road leads to Kirkcaldy and is so much fun to ride, its all ups and downs and twists and turns which is what I love most about cycling!

1687461208913.png

I reached the Esplanade at Kirkcaldy which was totally rebuilt in the last couple of years and probably cost a small fortune but they did such a great job of it!👍

1687461331239.png

Kirkcaldy can be a very busy town but once again I timed it perfectly to miss the worst of the morning traffic, it was all planned with military precision you see!;) I continued along the coast to Leven where the bridge over the River Leven was undergoing massive renovation work so I was diverted over the old rickety bridge which has big signs saying weak bridge all over it, the limit was 18 tons though so I think my bike was safely under that...🤣 After passing through Leven the road turns inland for a bit, I was passing the Lundin Links golf course and stopped for a snack and a photo!

1687461833872.png

Next stop would be the small town of Elie right on the coast where my sisters recently stayed in a caravan while our new heating system was being installed, the tide was way out today!

1687461976921.png

This one was taken at the other end of the town where the small lighthouse is situated!

1687462104711.png

I hugged the coast all the way to St Andrews, 5 miles from the town I changed my first battery which had lasted for 77 miles! Not bad for a 5 year old battery! As I arrived in the town I popped into the caravan site which overlooks the town way up on the hill to grab some photos! My sisters were actually here last week and had an awesome week of weather, their caravan had an unobstructed view of the beach and the town!

1687462327176.png

1687462469331.png

I then descending down the huge hill into the town proper and headed for the harbour where I enjoyed a delicious lunch from the cafe, my dad knew the woman that runs the cafe very well from all of his visits spanning more than 60 years! The water in the harbour was very low as the tide was out!

1687462701513.png

I decided to take my food to a bench overlooking the beach, not a bad view to enjoy your lunch!

1687462796800.png

It was so lovely sitting on the bench with the sea breeze keeping me nice and cool!:D After a nice break it was time to hit the road home, I think I spent a little too much time on that bench as my legs had turned to jelly now and I was now riding into a strenghtening headwind! The road out of St Andrews is a bit of a nightmare but thankfully they built a nice cycle path which keeps you away from the traffic all the way to Guardbridge! I was still struggling a bit after my extended break and it took me quite a while to get my second wind, once it came I was feeling way better!

That soon changed though as my backside was starting to ache, I really should have bought proper chamois cream for such a long ride! I have been using vaseline and it has been working really well but with todays heat I think it evaporated and it was getting rather painful! Anyway I had my strength back now and was making good progress, just before reaching the village of Dairsie I grabbed my last photos!

1687463513121.png

1687463566798.png

Thankfully due to my first battery lasting 77 miles I only had around 76 miles to go with 2 batteries at my disposal so I was able to crank the assist up to negate that strong headwind all the way home! I arrived home very tired and my aching derrier was really troubling me but I had such a brilliant ride and I'm sure dad would have approved!😁 I always rememeber the first time I cycled all the way to St Andrews in 2012 on my Focus Cayo carbon road bike and when I got home I informed dad where I had gone (I kept it a secret) and he couldn't believe I had ridden all that way in one day! I then showed him all of my photos and he was just loving it, he was so proud of what I had achieved and I told him he was my inspiration and that he played a big part in making me the person I had become! I'm welling up now but I will always have those amazing memories of a very special person!:)

Attachments

• elevation_profile172.jpg
    elevation_profile172.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 62
  • trip-125558900-map-full172.png
    trip-125558900-map-full172.png
    291.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230622_071534.jpg
    20230622_071534.jpg
    476.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230622_072011.jpg
    20230622_072011.jpg
    480 KB · Views: 62
  • 20230622_124250.jpg
    20230622_124250.jpg
    467.2 KB · Views: 57
Damn, here I am again, three days in a row! I was going to knock it off today, but:

So, today the flip side of the coin. A ride I take quite often, normally very pleasant and relaxed in a suburban/neighborhood area in a very attractive town. Ride is going well, having a great time.

Now I’m passing in front of an elementary school, of all places, on a wide road with a nice shoulder. Just ahead, across from the school, I see a school bus pull up to the stop sign on a road that takes off on the right from the one I’m on. He/she comes to a complete stop, so no problem, right? I continue north across the intersection.

And as I am just about to pass in front of the bus, I see the thing starts ahead and is coming into the intersection, apparently to turn left? He is RIGHT THERE as I cross in front of the hood and obviously isn’t looking where he is going. I could only jump on the pedal and try to swoop a little to the left - I didn’t know if there was anyone behind me, and certainly couldn’t take the time to look. I was certain he was going to hit me, but as I cleared his path I figured he would only clip my rear wheel and it might not be so bad. Somehow I got past the damn thing and he missed me by what couldn’t have been more than a couple of inches.

So, another exciting ride! What can you do except wave your arm like a maniac and keep going? That’s what I did, and once my heart rate came back to normal continued and completed what was otherwise a very nice ride. Closest call I’ve had in a very long time, though!

My view of the intersection as I approached it (bus was at the stop sign on that road to the right, and came to a compete stop there):
1687464629956.png

Same intersection from the point of view of the bus driver, where I would be coming down from the left and straight across in front of the bus:

1687464770234.png

Turns out things were a lot safer over in Vermont!

I have been waiting for the right conditions to cycle to St Andrews again, I was doing it in my dads memory as he passed away just over a year ago and it was his favourite place to visit in Scotland! It was his happy place and he visited every year until a couple of years ago when he was no longer able to make the journey!
Sorry to hear of your dad's passing. He clearly meant a lot to you. I can see why he liked St. Andrews.

As you might have guessed, I'm kinda partial to water views, but these are some of your best photos yet.

Damn, here I am again, three days in a row! I was going to knock it off today, but:

So, today the flip side of the coin. A ride I take quite often, normally very pleasant and relaxed in a suburban/neighborhood area in a very attractive town. Ride is going well, having a great time.

Now I’m passing in front of an elementary school, of all places, on a wide road with a nice shoulder. Just ahead, across from the school, I see a school bus pull up to the stop sign on a road that takes off on the right from the one I’m on. He/she comes to a complete stop, so no problem, right? I continue north across the intersection.

And as I am just about to pass in front of the bus, I see the thing starts ahead and is coming into the intersection, apparently to turn left? He is RIGHT THERE as I cross in front of the hood and obviously isn’t looking where he is going. I could only jump on the pedal and try to swoop a little to the left - I didn’t know if there was anyone behind me, and certainly couldn’t take the time to look. I was certain he was going to hit me, but as I cleared his path I figured he would only clip my rear wheel and it might not be so bad. Somehow I got past the damn thing and he missed me by what couldn’t have been more than a couple of inches.

So, another exciting ride! What can you do except wave your arm like a maniac and keep going? That’s what I did, and once my heart rate came back to normal continued and completed what was otherwise a very nice ride. Closest call I’ve had in a very long time, though!

My view of the intersection as I approached it (bus was at the stop sign on that road to the right, and came to a compete stop there):
View attachment 156454

Same intersection from the point of view of the bus driver, where I would be coming down from the left and straight across in front of the bus:

View attachment 156455

Turns out things were a lot safer over in Vermont!
Looks like the bus driver should have had an unobstructed view of you on the left, but maybe that bush hid you until it was too late.
Anyway too close a call. EEK.

Back