2023 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

Speaking of which, I enjoyed my session at the bike park yesterday and by sheer coincidence the second half of the run is aptly named Roots, Turns and Twists. As far as I can tell, most of the trails out there are riddled with roots. :rolleyes: That said, there’s a cornucopia of terrain that would suit beginners and advanced riders alike. No way does it even comes close to rivaling what you have out there on the coast but for us small town prairie dwellers, it serves our needs well. 👍

I wish I had something like that near me!:cool:

I wish I had something like that near me!:cool:
Dave, you’ve been holding out on me. You can’t tell me this isn’t worth checking out. :cool:

Web capture_23-6-2023_222213_www.trailforks.com.jpeg

Dave, you’ve been holding out on me. You can’t tell me this isn’t worth checking out. :cool:

View attachment 156618
Yeah, I ride "through" there at least twice a month on the Lower trail (purple).
It's called Watershed Park. Named after a huge water retainment facility on the site.
For many years people would stop at a public spigot there on the north side/Parkway and fill multiple jugs of some of the best/freshest water on planet earth.
They unfortunately had to shut that practice down maybe 10 - 15 years ago due to traffic jams on the parkway!
Anyway... Those trails (although fun, and some are dangerous for me) are short. No freakin' riding for 20 - 30 minutes non stop on trails like you enjoy.
You win hands down.

Yeah, I ride "through" there at least twice a month on the Lower trail (purple).
It's called Watershed Park. Named after a huge water retainment facility on the site.
For many years people would stop at a public spigot there on the north side/Parkway and fill multiple jugs of some of the best/freshest water on planet earth.
They unfortunately had to shut that practice down maybe 10 - 15 years ago due to traffic jams on the parkway!
Anyway... Those trails (although fun, and some are dangerous for me) are short. No freakin' riding for 20 - 30 minutes non stop on trails like you enjoy.
You win hands down.
No worries. It goes without saying how little I know about Squamish or Whistler. Everything I’ve seen online and heard about out there is bigger, steeper, faster and likely well above my pay grade. Feelings of inadequacy overwhelm me just thinking about it. 😨

It’s difficult enough finding time to shred the local trails as road rides will also take up space on the short summer calendar since we've put off our west coast trip. I’m still keen on riding a few singletracks out at Bragg Creek which is less than a 90-minute drive away so there might be hope yet. 🤞

Another solo night ride on my local mtb trails. Weekdays are busy. Weekends aren't much better. But nights after the kids are asleep are mostly my own. I'm working on encouraging some friends to join my night rides, but for now it's just me and my lights.

Riding alone at night is quite a psychological exercise. Rationally, I know I'm likely to be the only person bonkers enough to be frolicking around the park. But at the darker, more remote parts of the circuit I do have to fight the mind from wandering. Reflectors on signs catch my lights out of the corner of my eye. A possums eyes glint in the darkness. My mind sometimes even turns to lore of the malevolent spirits of our local First Nations stories.

But then I'm on my next of single track and concentration and exhilaration tosses everything else aside. I've ridden these trails at least 100 times during daylight so I know them well. Night riding is a whole new spin on that familiarity. The pool of light gives me about 2-3 seconds of reaction time of track ahead. I don't ride as hard by torch but it does tend to reward a more clean, flowing style.

Every night ride is a real roller-coaster outing. It's exciting, a little bit edgy and rather addictive.

Screenshot_20230624_214156.jpg

IMG_20230624_210235.jpg
IMG_20230624_204446.jpg
IMG_20230624_205840.jpg

My rides always feel so lame compared to others. RabH, 160 miles, 12 hours? You’re killing me, it hurts me just thinking about it. As usual I also like the scenery of other peoples rides. We have no ships, castles or mountains in the Midwest but we do have corn and soy beans.

My ride today was 17 miles, a few more hills with 626 feet of elevation gain. I rode by a recently remodeled school in a nearby town. It was suppose to be open this last school year but they are just finishing up. It looks pretty nice compared to what it did before.
View attachment 156582
Your rides are far from lame, every ride matters and I know its cliché but as long as you enjoy getting out on the bike thats all that matters at the end of the day! Yes I'm lucky to live somewhere that has a great cycling climate and great roads to enjoy and it makes me happy to share that with you all so please don't feel bad about it as thats the opposite of what my intentions are about posting my rides!

My Fearless Has Been With Me For Exactly Two Years!

Unlike many EBR Forum members, I was not paralysed with my decision to buy a Vado SL 4.0 EQ on Thursday June 24th, 2021 :) I was on a Vado SL 4.0 demo ride just twelve days before and was truly impressed by the e-bike. Despite its low motor power and a smallish battery, Vado SL brought me through a summer storm with hail, during which my face was being hit by "needles of ice", and I was at Specialized Warsaw on time to return the demo bike! On 24th of June, I returned to the LBS and asked about the availability of Vado SL 4.0 EQ ST size M colour Sage. The salesman Mateusz made a sad face and told me that because of the pandemic, the model of my dreams would only be available in December that year. I actually made a pre-order. Then, my sight started wandering through the showroom to see a Dove Gray Vado SL 4.0 EQ size M...

-- 'Mr Mateusz, what is this that white Vado SL there?'
-- 'It is for sale Mr Stefan!'
-- 'Please cancel the pre-order. I want this e-bike now!'

I simply decided I wanted to ride the Vado SL now instead of waiting until the Winter came! That was the best decision when seen from the two-year perspective! Well. I got a customary discount of 10%. I instantly added a Range Extender and a RE Y Cable to the order, and got a Specialized Warsaw water bottle as a bonus for 1 PLN :) (I still use that bottle!)

1687635060537.png

June 24th, 2021. Me and Mateusz figuring out why Mission Control app would not connect to my new e-bike (the app just required a software update).

Just after purchase and setup, I rode home on my new e-bike! (33.7 km) I only missed a rear-view mirror... :) The nickname of Fearless comes from David Weber Sci-Fi prose, the series of books on the space navy female Admiral Honor Harrington who commanded the light cruiser HMS Fearless when she was a Captain :) The nickname has a deeper meaning. When I ride my Fearless I know the e-bike is afraid of nothing: despite its low motor power! :)

The odometer reads 10,388.4 km. No single issue.

June 24th, 2023

Started a Fearless ride on 7:35 am. I was to pay & collect a vital electronic spare part for my Vado 6.0 at Specialized Warsaw. Mateusz does not work there anymore but his equivalent is a man by name of Kamil who is competent and always gives me a discount as for a loyal paying customer (I buy from Spec WAW a lot!) I took the opportunity to apply the firmware updates to the e-bike, the main battery, and to 4 Range Extenders I own (I did not need to pay anything for the update and got the discount on the electronic spare part).

1687636021173.png

Kamil applying the firmware updates. The door at the left are for a professional bike wash.

1687636143957.png

Vado SL during the data transfusion. If you are interested, Range Extender firmware updates need to be done on the bike. It took an hour to update everything!

Vado SL feels like a traditional bicycle. If there is a headwind then you need to pedal harder (or, increase the assistance). Technically, I can derestrict the e-bike with a button push. I stopped doing so and keep Fearless at the 25 km/h restriction. It gives me better battery range and more workout (I can pedal unassisted past 25 km/h if the conditions allow it). It is unbelievable how my fitness has improved by riding a Vado SL!

The total ride of today was 66.6 km :)

Starting this Sunday, I'm totally devoted to a big training we are doing to our key customer. You may not hear me for a week! See you later! :)

No ride for me today either. I was tasked with building a wood plant border for my wife’s garden and also had to keep a watchful eye on these as they continue to smoke low and slow for 5 + hours. I used the wood chips that we kept from a downed Evans cherry tree in our backyard for this specific purpose and my own homemade dry rub.

PXL_20230624_003930841.jpg

PXL_20230624_003936431.jpg

Back to our home trails, today followed Willow Creek for about 25 km and the storm clouds building in the Pic let loose just as we got home - power is out and slim pickings in the fridge and Prairie Dog shared his fine job on the BBQ - those ribs look mighty fine!!!
Ribs? Oh, I almost forgot to check on them. I was distracted by that gorgeous view and of Willow Creek as it snakes it way through the coulee and rolling foothills. I’m quite envious of your home trails.

No ride for me today either. I was tasked with building a wood plant border for my wife’s garden and also had to keep a watchful eye on these as they continue to smoke low and slow for 5 + hours. I used the wood chips that we kept from a downed Evans cherry tree in our backyard for this specific purpose and my own homemade dry rub.

View attachment 156784
View attachment 156785
Aw yeah!
Do us a solid and share the rub recipe! :D

Aw yeah!
Do us a solid and share the rub recipe! :D

Here you go Dave. Should be plenty for 1-2 racks of baby back ribs.

¼ cup brown sugar

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp onion powder

2 tsp smoked paprika

1 tsp black pepper

1 tsp kosher salt

1 tsp cayenne pepper

½ tsp cinnamon

For a more savory rub, you can double up on the dry seasonings and use the same amount of brown sugar. I don’t make my own BBQ sauce but my wife and I both prefer Sweet Baby Rays Hickory and brown sugar.

I don’t have a smoker but find my natural gas BBQ serves me well and use the 3-2-1 cold smoke method. Soak two generous handfuls of wood chips for about an hour then drain them before wrapping them in foil. You could also use a metal smoke box if you have one handy.

Remove one side of the grill grate and pop the foil wood chip pack on top of the element on the same side. Turn the gas only on the one side until the you can see/smell the smoke from the pack. Pop the rib racks on top of the other grill grate that has no heat and close the cover and reduce the heat on the gas element to 225-250 F. Smoke for 3 hours maintaining that temp, then remove the ribs and wrap them in foil. I like to put several pads of butter and brown sugar inside the foil for more flavor and moisture. Smoke for another 2 hours wrapped then remove the foil and place the ribs back on the grates to further intensify the bark. Slather with your favorite BBQ sauce and smoke it for the final hour.

Voila.

PXL_20230624_004836634.jpgPXL_20230624_005034131.jpg

Last edited:

¼ cup brown sugar

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp onion powder

2 tsp smoked paprika

1 tsp black pepper

1 tsp kosher salt

1 tsp cayenne pepper

½ tsp cinnamon

For a more savory rub, you can double up on the dry seasonings and use the same amount of brown sugar. I don’t make my own BBQ sauce but my wife and I both prefer Sweet Baby Rays Hickory and brown sugar.

I don’t have a smoker but find my natural gas BBQ serves me well and use the 3-2-1 cold smoke method. Soak two generous handfuls of wood chips for about an hour then drain them before wrapping them in foil. You could also use a metal smoke box if you have one handy.

Remove one side of the grill grate and pop the foil wood chip pack on top of the element on the same side. Turn the gas only on the one side until the you can see/smell the smoke from the pack. Pop the rib racks on top of the other grill grate that has no heat and close the cover and reduce the heat on the gas element to 225-250 F. Smoke for 3 hours maintaining that temp, then remove the ribs and wrap them in foil. I like to put several pads of butter and brown sugar inside the foil for more flavor and moisture. Smoke for another 2 hours wrapped then remove the foil and place the ribs back on the grates to further intensify the bark. Slather with your favorite BBQ sauce and smoke it for the final hour.

Voila.

View attachment 156793View attachment 156794
Thanks mate! I've got all the ingredients so I'll try that out next time. Love me some back ribs! 😍

¼ cup brown sugar

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp onion powder

2 tsp smoked paprika

1 tsp black pepper

1 tsp kosher salt

1 tsp cayenne pepper

½ tsp cinnamon

Voila.

View attachment 156793View attachment 156794
Looks great!

My rub is very similar, but I add Cayenne and 5 Spice (and perhaps a bit more salt).
Nice on Pork tenderloin too.

Back