2023 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

Saratoga Dave

Disclaimer: This was and remains, in my mind, the House That Dave Berry Built. However, with him out of town, the recent and presumably future hyperlink indexing for months and years has apparently gone with him, and there always was a logic behind breaking it into years, so let’s see how this goes over.

So off we go. My personal goal this year is the usual 3000 miles, which I know RabH will surpass around lunchtime tomorrow… but it remains the most dependably entertaining thread on the site.

Last edited:
Sort of cold and quite windy, generally a lousy day but a warmup and several days of rain ahead, and it is January 1…

1672596155495.jpeg

So not exactly picturesque, but the old Champlain Canal paralleling the Hudson just above the beginning of the Erie Canal. Ground isn’t quite frozen so it was soft and very sluggish. Much better once the freeze comes back, but not this week.

The empty Erie Canal lock system looking towards the point where it meets the Mohawk. The sun even appeared for awhile.

1672596205513.jpeg

Only 12 miles, hardly more than a warmup, but at least it’s numbers on the board before a string of lousy weather shows up. Not often you can ride a bike around here on January 1.

1st ride of the year. Yeah, got the studded tires on.
A casual 30km, some of which was up on the local hill.

Without suspension, would probably have rattled a few fillings out.
Must have been an epic day skiing west of here in Banff.

20230101_132358.jpg
20230101_132407.jpg

Wishing everyone a safe and prosperous 2023.

January 1st arrived in Virginia with the genuine enthusiam of a fine Spring day. Robins were flocked on the lawns, cocked heads listening intently for worms just below the winter dead grass as the over-bright sun, enhanced by a background of blue sky artfully brushed with wispy high clouds, warmed the already warm air to the "t-shirts and flip flops" level, dried out the still damp gravel roads, and spread a path of glittering light through the winter storm battered trees everywhere one looked.

It was a perfect for a bike ride. A perfect day to start getting myself in shape.
20230101_132255_copy_750x1000_1.jpg

I had no goals today other than to just enjoy a cruise around the block. I had only ridden 5 miles before I bumped into a neighbor walking the roads. After sharing New Years greeting, we spent the next 1/2 hour simply standing and talking before we said our goodbyes and heading off in our selected directions. I had thought about riding a nice big looping further east but for some reason my legs were less enthusiastic about the idea and wanted to do the smaller 10 mile loop closer to home which was, much to my chagrin, all up and down some rather steep hills.

At the top of one hill I paused for a drink of water, noticing a trio of people on the other side of the road, all three resting next to a pasture fence while observing a trio of horses who were, in their turn, standing a distance away, quietly observing the human trio. It was a stalemate for everyone concerned, two legged as well as four.
20230101_141031_copy_750x1000_1.jpg

I rolled up next to the human trio, and suggested, with a smile, that apples might entice the horses closer.
"We're trying to entice them with our weirdness" the one gal quipped.
I laughed, and wished them luck as I cruised on. Horses are used to wacky humans and are content to watch from a distance. Wanna see a horse up close and personal? You need apples. That's the secret.

A photo op for my Gazelle further along, and then a turn for home.
20230101_141043_copy_750x1000_1.jpg

It was a grand total of 10 miles on beautiful roads in the balmy warmth of a true springtime day in the beginning of astronomical winter. Strange and funny.

Maybe tomorrow, with the promise of yet another stunningly unusual warm day, I can encourage my legs to wander a bit further afield.
Screenshot_20230101_193041.jpg

PS - thanks, Dave, for starting the 2023 ride thread for everyone here.

Last edited:
"Some Work Is The Best Cure For Hangover", or New Year 2023 Graveloza Group Ride

You would not believe that! January 1st 2023 and temperature +13 C in Poland's Mazovia! It felt like September! No wonder crowds of cyclists rode out from Warsaw on that Sunday. Our cycling club Graveloza gathered as many of participants for the New Year's group ride as I just forgot counting the people; and realized I forgot the names of most of them!

1672644309616.png

Gathering at the Wilanów Town Hall for 11 a.m. Wilanów (Villa Nova) is one of the two southernmost quarters of Warsaw. If you like to locate me and my brother Jacek, we are wearing a yellow and a green helmet there :)

1672644685504.png

After some 36 km from the start line, we reached Góra Kalwaria ("Mount Calvary"). The popular cycling cafe Góra Kawiarnia was under a siege of cyclists! It was a good decision for the Cafe to open on the New Year's Day! We only waited for 20 minutes to get our Carbon Meringue and Pumpkin Cheesecake. Jacek (left) and Maciek (right). (We were on the Korboloza group gravel ride last Autumn together; Maciek was waiting for an hour At The Girls to be able to place our orders there!)

1672645021445.png

The huge group was naturally split into smaller groups. Some of the riders could not ride as fast as the leaders, and also there were breakdowns (tyre flats) slowing the ride. The "recreation group" pictured here.

1672645139181.png

Kuba (left) and Marek (centre) are two experienced gravel cyclists who tend to stay together with the "slow group" to encourage weaker riders and to offer help during breakdowns.

1672645272208.png

And that happened! "Stefan, you and a flat tyre?!" No, it was worse. We got into a real nasty cross-country segment. As I was downshifting, the chain of my Vado SL dropped and got stuck between the cassette and the rear wheel, and between the chainring and the frame! I was ready to remove the chainring! Fortunately, the experienced rider Marek applied his hand force properly, and was able to remove the chain from the trap. Never ever go on a forest ride alone! You need friends to help extricating you from the dire situation! (Me sitting on the ground here).

1672645842795.png

The group gravel ride, approximately 66 km (40+ miles).

1672646402152.png

The total ride map for January 1st, 2023.

However wonderful my Vado SL is in the terms of its light weight and handling of rough terrain, I dream I could get my Vado 6.0 back from the repair. The motor of Vado SL is simply too weak to match stronger riders on the Graveloza trips!

Last edited:
Glad you had help to get the chain back into position, Stefan.
Oh yes! A mechanical breakdown on a group ride is far more serious than a trivial flat...

1672657709377.png

I had all the necessary tools with me. Except of the chain pliers that would make the issue non existent.

1672657806632.png

Meanwhile "the wolves started howling"... :)

1672657862907.png

At the finish line. We had waited for the last riders, and then everybody rode their own way. Necessary to mention we had a single rider who was not only unprepared physically but also took no water bottles with him. That wretch was assisted as long as possible. When the guy lost the rest of his power on the sandy roads, he was helped to get back to the civilization!

So many in the dead of winter...here's some 70 degree sunshine in Savannah GA USA for y'all! I still need to figure out a good mapping program like you pros have. I'm new, just got this bike a few weeks ago. Long time lurker though!

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    255 KB · Views: 220
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    523.4 KB · Views: 237
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 224
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 239
So many in the dead of winter...here's some 70 degree sunshine in Savannah GA USA for y'all! I still need to figure out a good mapping program like you pros have. I'm new, just got this bike a few weeks ago. Long time lurker though!
I use Ride with GPS, and also the app that goes with my smart watch. Basic, compared to apps like Strava, but they get the job done 😉.

The fine weather continues to welcome each day in our region with the same smile as that echoed on the face of every cyclist visiting our rural area roads. We see the bikes flying along in flocks of twos, fours, and more, riders sometimes chatting away with voices that far precede their appearance, but far more often just gliding silently into view, a spot of color for a moment before they are, just as silently, gone.

I joined them as a solo as the afternoon settled in warm and comfortable around me. I'd spent the morning on house projects so decided the afternoon was perfect for a few miles of "me time" on the Gazelle.

As it would turn out, the entire 15.2 miles of my ride were spent in animated conversation with my youngest sister - via the technological marvels of cell phones and Bluetooth headsets - almost 1,000 miles south of me. After spending the New Years with friends near Miami, Florida, she was headed south towards her home in Key West, Florida. I called her as I left my driveway, just as she was leaving the Florida turnpike to jump onto the first of the Florida keys - Key Largo. We talked and talked and talked as my bike rolled effortlessly over the winter-smoothed gravel roads and she drove from Key to Key, mentioning each one as she passed through, entertaining me with a continuously flowing antimated documentary on the drivers around her, the sometimes bottlenecks she had to slowly make her way through on this one-road-only highway in and out of the Keys, and various other subjects that found way into our conversations.

For myself, I rode a gravel and paved route south through the countryside and into the historic town of Upperville where the highway, upon hitting the town limits, suddenly was throttled to a crawling 25mph through the one-road-only 2 mile byway into and out of the town. Midway I stopped at the massive historic church that was the town's pride and joy to visit its graveyard, the final resting place of an old endurance friend of mine who had died of cancer at age 49 in 2004. Her family seems to have forgotten her during the holiday as nothing graced her gravestone. "In Beloved Memory" the stone had been scribed, but she was not anymore. 19 years had passed into history, her kids all grown up and scattered, her husband moved on with his life. Her stone marker lay in the winter grass, forgotten, unlike the many stones of others nearby that were graced with beautiful wreaths and winter flowers. I silently promised her I'd rectify this omission on my next ride past, placed a few windblown bits of Christmas greenery onto her stone, and then guided my bike away from that silent place back onto the highway. I joined the few slow paced cars until a mile further, at the far end of town, I left the now unthrottled road to loop back onto the peaceful rural paved and gravel roads again.
20230102_142008_copy_726x475.jpg

20230102_142004_copy_1178x1136.jpg

All the time my sister and I talked, and talked, and talked.

By the time my farm came back into view over an hour later on the final 2/10s of a mile of my ride, my sister's car had reached within 16 miles from Key West itself. It was time to say our goodbyes. I rode up my driveway, my tires making a perfect line of thin tracks in the rain softened gravel, solo once again, happy to be home. I'd text my sister in a bit to find that she arrived safe at her tropical paradise doorstep and was in the middle of unpacking her dogs and luggage from her car. In the meantime I had to attend to my duties of plugging my bike into the charger in the garage, hanging up helmet, jacket and gloves, and greeting my hubby who was happily ensconced on the sofa watching something lively on TV, and the collie who obviously had just woken up from a doggy nap with a big toothy canine yawn of welcome.

It's always good to be home.
Screenshot_20230103_042930.jpg

Last edited:
Not the best day in the world, but it stopped raining this morning, the temp got over 40 degrees and there’s not a snowflake within thirty miles. For early January around here, that’s go time! A quick twenty miles and just beat the next round of cold rain back to the house.

Lock 1 of the Erie Canal back there… not a lot goes on at the visitors‘ center this time of year, either.

1672964325869.jpeg

My friend James from town drove out for his first ebike ride of the year. The great weather lured him and we cycled mostly empty roads for 17 miles...perfect weather, low 60s F. A great ride that deserved a fine lunch which I was treated to TYVM.
IMG_1218.JPG
IMG_1218.JPGIMG_1223.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1221.JPG
    IMG_1221.JPG
    608 KB · Views: 192
1673026823176.png

I can finally contribute to the new thread, nice work Dave! @Saratoga Dave The forecast for the start of the year was way off so cycling was put on the back burner while the ice descended followed by very heavy rain and very strong winds! Even this morning it was around 45mph and chucking it down, when I finally got out it was down to around 35mph and the sky was looking more promising so I was more comfortable riding in that! The first 21 miles with that wind behind me was a lot of fun, a road that I normally cycle at around 35mph was 43mph today :D When I reached my turning point just before Kingscavil I had a nice view of the Forth Bridges and I even had the bonus of some sunshine👍

1673027415431.png

You can see the remnants of the rain here....
1673027514029.png

I reached Kingscavil where the road plummets down into the valley and I was freewheeling at almost 42mph down the 20% gradient:eek: I had a crosswind here so I wasn't pedalling at all until I hit the climb on the other side, this will almost certainly be a 50mph+ descent in the right conditions! I continued on into Linlithgow and the sun was still gracing me with its presence, it was so good to get out again and even have some sun to lift my spirits!

Linlithgow Bridge!
1673027882488.png

1673027930945.png

The viaduct was looking nice in the sun!
1673028015049.png

I wasn't alone on the roads today...
1673028063736.png

I was now heading towards Maddiston and avoiding most of the back roads because of flooding and the drivers were behaving themselves thankfully, I passed through Hallglen and decided to tackle the huge hill up to Shieldhill, I mostly come down this one as its so much fun!

At the top of the hill at Shieldhill looking down into the Forth Valley!
1673028499294.png

1673028636977.png

From Shieldill I returned to the back roads towards Slamannan, I had this road all to myself today!
1673028874865.png

1673028924830.png

I was getting close to home now and still no sign of any rain, I was sure I was going to get wet at some point! My luck was finally in and I had such a great ride despite the winds and I got home with a filthy bike but I was grinning from ear to ear!😁

Attachments

• elevation_profile134.jpg
    elevation_profile134.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 154
  • trip-110551592-map-full134.png
    trip-110551592-map-full134.png
    479.7 KB · Views: 176
  • 20230106_134453.jpg
    20230106_134453.jpg
    416.8 KB · Views: 175
  • 20230106_134753.jpg
    20230106_134753.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 164
  • 20230106_134927.jpg
    20230106_134927.jpg
    524.3 KB · Views: 188
  • 20230106_142659.jpg
    20230106_142659.jpg
    602.5 KB · Views: 173
  • 20230106_144839.jpg
    20230106_144839.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 160
  • 20230106_144841.jpg
    20230106_144841.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 172
That Road E of yours is just unstoppable! Nice job by Giant for sure.

I’m pleased to report that replacing the display unit along with whatever other machinations the shop guys performed has resulted in the redemption of my much loved 2018 Toughroad. The Creo is in my son’s enormous garage for the winter, while the Toughroad once again stands ready for action at any time weather permits. Maybe it was the new orange bar tape and orange pedals.

Week 1 of January

Screenshot_20230108_012310.jpg

My goal of a bike ride every day has gone quite well thus far, thanks to the unusually cooperative weather. Every day has been above 45°f (5.5c), a couple touching close to 60°f (15c). I've been sticking to the gravel roads which means slow going (read this as "you get a really good workout") but also relatively car free. In general a 10 mile ride each day (16km) seems to be the perfect distance to encourage winter riding without getting too cold. Hasn't been cold enough for my new heated gloves to be of use, but I'm sure those days are coming soon.

I've been selecting a different gravel road route each day so I'm not treading the same ground ad nausium. It also gives me the opportunity - in this era of never ending Covid - to stop and chat, sans mask, with various neighbors and landowners that are also out and about when I ride past. While these impromptu chat sessions destroy any speed records my RideWithGPS may hope to record, they are fun and mentally uplifting. Yesterday I met the nicest couple (around my age) out walking their gravel road about 4 miles from my place. Stopped to chat and it turned out they were both cyclists as well. We were discussing the charity rides we had done (they had ridden the Seagull Century about 20 times and LOVE it) and as we were talking another older gentleman walking down the road joined us. He had recently moved into the neighborhood from living 35 years in Marin County California (a gorgeous area near San Francisco) to live with his brother just up the road, and was a mountain biker! So all four of us had a wonderful time chatting about all things biking. They each rode regular bikes although none were were currently riding due to various injuries (shoulders and back issues). All three admired my bike, even recognizing it immediately as electric which surprised me until they told me they knew friends or family members who had transitioned to electric when medical or physical problems made it too difficult to continue biking without help.

Coincidentally, we were standing in the dead middle of a t-intersection, just chattering away for close to 20 minutes, and in all that time we had been passed by just one vehicle - a UPS truck. We were also passed by 2 separate sets of cyclists out touring the countryside on their gravel road bikes. All 4 cyclists happily whipped past us, exchanging greetings and quick comments on where they were headed when I asked. All had easily 30 or more miles to get to their destinations after covering the same miles to reach where we were standing. All young and fit. We watched them go and my one neighbor sighed at how nice it was to be young and fit as she rubbed her injured shoulder (broken when she was out biking with her daughter this past summer, tried to take a one handed picture before realising she was going too fast, hit the front brake a bit too hard, and the bike flipped on her sending her to concrete pathway she was riding at the time). Her husband (who was dealing with recovery from back issues) smiled as he watched the cyclists zip down the road. He was trying to get back into cycling shape but the going was slow. He was up to about 20 miles before his back - and rear end - would say enough. Toughening up the seat is the hardest, he said, when you've been off the bike for a while. But at least he has a goal for his efforts - to do the multi-day 334 mile Gap Trail and C&O bike trail from Washington DC to Pittsburg, Pennsylvania.

I'll have to stay in touch with them, and perhaps plan a bike ride with them when they both have healed.

I do have a few pictures from the rides which I need to dig out of my other phone. A bit boring as life currently is dressed in shades of gray since all the holiday decorations are now gone. A scant few still have yet to take down from their farm signs the now wilted and lifeless Christmas greenery. We still have a dull January through March to wait until the spring flowers make an appearance to brighten up the landscape. Unless, of course, we have snow to place a lovely white blanket over the countyside. I understand we might just have some moving in today. Preferably after I've had my chance to get in my 10 miles.

Then again, it might be fun to be on the bike when the flakes start to fall. And I can put those new heated gloves to the test.

Last edited:
Well its stopped rai....
Oh no, its started again.
This vid is a compilation of two years offroad trail riding in the luverly UK.
The musics a bit annoying, and its certainly not a chill experience.
This is mostly Wales, Cumbria, Peak District and Devon.
Warning its a bit full on and the song has one mild swear word

1673201009922.png

I was going to rest today after Friday's hard ride and I was hoping to go out tomorrow, but the forecast wasn't that inspiring and it was lovely today for the time of year! I even had dry roads which is always a bonus at this time of year, still lots of floods about though! Thankfully the winds were back to a more manageable 25mph and as they were from the SW I decided to head NE at first towards Falkirk!

You can see the nice conditions I had in my first photo approaching Falkirk!
1673201936261.png

As soon as I reached Falkirk I turned west on to the quiet back roads which would lead me to Bonnybridge, I was now facing the 25mph headwind but this road is pretty sheltered so it wasn't too bad!

This is looking towards the Campsie Hills which were looking inviting today but it would have been a struggle for me today...
1673202234332.png

Flatter roads were more inviting ;)
1673202337446.png

The deer were in the field today but only 4 could be seen, a far cry from the massive herd I pictured just before Christmas!
1673202441317.png

I arrived in Bonnybridge where I had a little scare as a young lady was turning in to a car park as I was descending a steep hill, I was on the brakes as I had a feeling she would struggle to see me as she was looking directly into the bright sun! Just as I thought she started to make the turn and I made sure she heard me and she got on the brakes, I did get a little wave of apology and I continued on my way! This is where years of experience keeps you from being another statistic, riding a motorbike for over 50 years makes you ride defensively and makes you more aware of the dangers...

From Bonnybridge I was heading west towards Kilsyth, the December ride along this road was the day I got drenched, today it was very different and a real joy to be riding with the sun shining! I arrived in Kilsyth and it was time to turn south to head for home, passing the Forth and Clyde canal with the sun still present!
1673203208626.png

I arrived in Cumbernauld with 32 miles covered so decided to turn east for a bit and get the benefit of the tailwind after almost 20 miles of headwind! I then took the Fannyside road which is single track and has been resurfaced recently and enjoyed having the road mostly to myself!
1673203455048.png

1673203516281.png

There is a small sailing club along this road and they had a nice breeze today to enjoy, a short time before this the guy was wading to the yacht and it put a shiver down my spine! :eek: I prefer dry land thank you very much:p
1673203743193.png

From here I sort of zigzagged my way home taking lots of quiet back roads to get the 50 miles I was hoping for, what a lovely day for a ride despite the chilly wind! The next week is looking rather wet so I'm not sure when the next outing will be, possibly Friday after a wet and windy start...a little rest will do my old legs good I think!

Attachments

• elevation_profile135.jpg
    elevation_profile135.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 156
  • trip-110704554-map-full135.png
    trip-110704554-map-full135.png
    424.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 20230108_130822.jpg
    20230108_130822.jpg
    368.9 KB · Views: 167
  • 20230108_130837.jpg
    20230108_130837.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 179
  • 20230108_143953.jpg
    20230108_143953.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 171
  • 20230108_144058.jpg
    20230108_144058.jpg
    469.7 KB · Views: 177
  • 20230108_144231.jpg
    20230108_144231.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 156
View attachment 144223

I was going to rest today after Friday's hard ride and I was hoping to go out tomorrow, but the forecast wasn't that inspiring and it was lovely today for the time of year! I even had dry roads which is always a bonus at this time of year, still lots of floods about though! Thankfully the winds were back to a more manageable 25mph and as they were from the SW I decided to head NE at first towards Falkirk!

You can see the nice conditions I had in my first photo approaching Falkirk!
View attachment 144226

As soon as I reached Falkirk I turned west on to the quiet back roads which would lead me to Bonnybridge, I was now facing the 25mph headwind but this road is pretty sheltered so it wasn't too bad!

This is looking towards the Campsie Hills which were looking inviting today but it would have been a struggle for me today...
View attachment 144227

Flatter roads were more inviting ;)
View attachment 144228

The deer were in the field today but only 4 could be seen, a far cry from the massive herd I pictured just before Christmas!
View attachment 144229

I arrived in Bonnybridge where I had a little scare as a young lady was turning in to a car park as I was descending a steep hill, I was on the brakes as I had a feeling she would struggle to see me as she was looking directly into the bright sun! Just as I thought she started to make the turn and I made sure she heard me and she got on the brakes, I did get a little wave of apology and I continued on my way! This is where years of experience keeps you from being another statistic, riding a motorbike for over 50 years makes you ride defensively and makes you more aware of the dangers...

From Bonnybridge I was heading west towards Kilsyth, the December ride along this road was the day I got drenched, today it was very different and a real joy to be riding with the sun shining! I arrived in Kilsyth and it was time to turn south to head for home, passing the Forth and Clyde canal with the sun still present!
View attachment 144230

I arrived in Cumbernauld with 32 miles covered so decided to turn east for a bit and get the benefit of the tailwind after almost 20 miles of headwind! I then took the Fannyside road which is single track and has been resurfaced recently and enjoyed having the road mostly to myself!
View attachment 144231
View attachment 144232

There is a small sailing club along this road and they had a nice breeze today to enjoy, a short time before this the guy was wading to the yacht and it put a shiver down my spine! :eek: I prefer dry land thank you very much:p
View attachment 144233

From here I sort of zigzagged my way home taking lots of quiet back roads to get the 50 miles I was hoping for, what a lovely day for a ride despite the chilly wind! The next week is looking rather wet so I'm not sure when the next outing will be, possibly Friday after a wet and windy start...a little rest will do my old legs good I think!
Always look forward to your outing reports -- beautiful countryside, good writing. Please keep them coming!

Some battery-related questions, please:

Q1: What's your total battery capacity, including any extras onboard?

Q2: How much of it did you use on this 51-mile ride?

Q3: When you have to, how do manage battery on the fly?

On Q3, guessing some combo of slowing down, reducing or turning off assist, and avoiding resistances (hills, headwinds, tire sinkage). But maybe you have other tricks.Thanks!

Back