2023 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

Dearest Friends,

Past 11 am on Sunday, I have completed the Mazovian Gravel race with the distance ridden of 263 km (163 mi) in the net time of 12 h 17 min (gross time 26 hours 48 min).
It was a very difficult race, with the difficulties increasing the more you were into the ride. No boredom whatsoever!

View attachment 156170
The Polish text reads: 'East Mazovia'.

The results are not final yet but I promise you I left several contenders in the dust :D I was racing on the second day! :)

I will be happy to write a decent ride report for you. At the moment, I only dream of a shower and getting some sleep! (The race was just epic).
Huge congratulations, Stefan! 👍 That was an incredible effort, I'm glad you weren't hurt badly in the crash!

No cycling for me today, I was at the British Superbikes race meeting at Knockhill with a big crowd present so it wasn't a day to be cycling!

The Final Results of #MG2023, the 255 km gravel race

I took the 248th place, MG250 category (men and women, Open). 283 riders of that category actually started in the race, and 7 of them DNF. It makes 35 contenders behind me :) Necessary to mention as many as 300 people paid for the participation in the 255 km race but 17 have never showed up.
Could be worse! :) Like not finishing the race or being last :D

1687119889106.png

The red GPS means the rider was penalized with extra time for not riding exactly the mandatory route.

Last edited:

I took the 248th place, MG250 category (men and women, Open). 283 riders of that category actually started in the race, and 7 of them DNF. It makes 35 contenders behind me :) Necessary to mention as many as 300 people paid for the participation in the 255 km race but 17 have never showed up.

View attachment 156184
Congrats! But were you the first or second Stefan across the line?

Congrats! But were you the first or second Stefan across the line?
The second one :) First Stefan was 151st :)

Just To Let You Know :)
One of the "ultra" features was climbing onto Góra Kalwaria (Mt. Calvary), 10.6% max incline, 677 metres on rough cobblestones. I made it unlike many other racers :) Vado SL, SL Turbo Mode, 44-36T gearing. Not bad, eh? :D

1687125736591.png

Recorded speed of 10.2 km/h at the 10.6% incline. I was on the adrenalin rush there!

Last edited:
Thats pretty good Stefan. If my math is good you averaged 80 mph, but my math isn’t that good.
You are correct. Not. :)

@Readytoride: See the Polish Gravel Grinder version :)

1687128904425.png

Crossing the River Fiszor for the 300 mile group. The bottom of the river was full of rubble! Riders were wearing flip-flops there. One rider protected his legs with long plastic bags! :) (Crossing the Struga creek was easier for our 255 km group!) Photo courtesy Victor Troshka.

Mazovian Gravel 2023, East Mazovia Edition, MG 250 (160 mile) Race
Day 1, June 17th, 2023

'It is not a leisure trip, brother. It is a race. You need to avoid stopping, and use as much of assistance as the battery range allows!' said Jacek as he was transporting me to the elegant Warsaw neighbourhood of Royal Wilanów. This year 160 mile and 316 mile racers started from so called Wilanów Beach (which is just an urban meadow), and each starting group had its time slot. 600 people (2 x 300) paid to participate, several did not show up. There was even trading the 'starter packages' in the weeks before the race! (The original fee was 80 to 95 US$).

1687151092561.png

The 8:10 am group starting the ride. I could count 10 riders there.

1687151429935.png

The race motto was: "Accept the Challenge". Completely ready to ride! (See the socks, a part of the Starter Package, very nice!)

1687151544022.png

The tall man Michał B. of Łódź (MG500 #10 - his Pinarello H tyre cracked so he was not on the podium later -- he had to apply the inner tube for the tubeless system) has been my gravel cycling mentor. He said "The Distance Only Exists In Your Mind". A great lesson!

1687151942110.png

My Starting Group 37 (9:05 am). The organizers Bartek and Marcin were perfectly aware who I was. That I was a senior person with medical conditions, and the only e-biker in the race. Both were very friendly, and Bartek approached me and asked if I was OK to ride, and whether I planned to make the race in one or two days. The man in blue behind me was next to me at the finish line, and the man at my right hand side was the second behind me. The man with the Swiss Cross became #38.

1687152228584.png

The "slow" start. We should get to the flying start in 7 minutes minimum but I realized I was left alone by the group! (It took me 4:55 to get to the flying start line).

1687152338307.png

The first trap set by the organizers: An earthwork requiring the rider getting off the bike and carrying the bike uphill in loose soil, tree roots and rubble. And, carry the bike down the "hill". That was the first time I was glad I took the lightweight Vado SL for the race!

1687152526507.png

Riding in semi coma after my crash.

The Crash (Always Wear The Helmet!)
The route required to leave the path along the Royal Canal, ride the pavement for some distance and return to the Canal trail. As I was negotiating a speed bump on the pavement at some 30 km/h, I lost balance and crashed with my e-bike to the right side. The witnesses said I was laying for a while (I must have fainted) then vigorously got up, said everything was okay and restarted the ride. In fact, I was in semi coma and only could see the track on my Wahoo bike computer! As Jacek was monitoring me, he instantly drove his car to intercept me, and he stopped me, with the witnesses following me on their bikes. As I sat on a bench, they started asking me questions to realise I was semi-conscious. I must have spent a good half an hour on the bench to come back to my senses!

1687153123564.png

The Specialized Echelon II helmet withstood the impact and saved my head. Road rash on the knee, elbow and shoulder was disinfected by Jacek, and it dried up soon. Yes, and a bruised thigh and shoulder. I was continuing the ride anyway.

I admit I was trying riding my Vado 6.0 for a distance since a stop in Nieporęt. A very bad decision! The heavy Vado with inadequate tyres was not a proper ride for an 'ultramarathon' ("ultra" in the sense of "technically very difficult"). I returned to riding my Vado SL in Korycin, and it remained my e-bike of choice to the end of the race!

1687153985614.png

Modern Poland (especially the well developed regions) is the country of asphalt and dirt roads :) Yes you find gravel road in less developed areas such as East Mazovia; and in forests. As gravel roads are, well, despised, a decent gravel road is a rarity in my country!

1687156174855.png

I had no time for taking pictures! Here, the Professional Firefighter Station in Jadów, one of few towns of the area. Jadów is a popular holiday destination on the picturesque River Liwiec.

1687156330841.png

Horses met somewhere on the trail (Poland is big in horse breeding!)

1687156395509.png

Met my Guardian Angel Jacek in the village of Liw. We went straight to the local Inn for some decent food!

1687156471821.png

Zhur with sausage, followed by a pork chop with vegetable salad. I was only on nutrients on my ride until Liw!

1687156598797.png

Me taking the photo of the Castle in Liw.

1687156648231.png

The Castle of Liw with a motorcycle rally and rock concerts! (See the tents).

A historical note

The castle of Liw upon River Liwiec was completed in 1429 by the order of Duke of Mazovia Janusz I. Liw was a big city at that time, having its own Land (sub-province). Liw was even bigger under the reign of Duchess Anna of Mazovia and Queen Bona Sforza in 16th c. The castle was damaged in mid 17th c. by the Swedish, and Liw slowly turned into a little village... Same as the big city of Nur in Mazovia that is a small village nowadays, too. However, the Castle of Liw has been reconstructed, and a lot is being done to attract visitors there (like, motorcycle rallies, rock concerts...)

1687157156831.png

The MG pitstop in Liw. We were there late (I was the second last rider of MG 250 there!) We were met with very warm and hospitable reception that you can expect in Polish countryside! The local people were aware of the Race (I spoke with two farmers sitting in their Land Rover while I had a short stop on my ride, so I know it). The people of Liw wanted to show their hospitality at the best to the cycling visitors! Only boiled fresh cabbage was available. We were not hungry, so we thanked our hosts and only took some banana on our leave.

1687157560448.png

Now, the 'ultra' has just started. What you can see is a weak representation of future kilometres, what we gravel cyclists call "ujeby & wyrypy" (U&W), which can be translated as "trail that is excessively exhausting, and segments on which it is easy to crash".

1687157735152.png

Fording the Creek Struga ('Struga' means 'a creek'). Shoeless and sockless! The bottom was covered with fine clean sand at the left hand side and everybody was walking their bikes there. Then, you were walking in mud, were cleaning your feet with grass and... you were swarmed by mosquito! Fancy how fast we were putting our socks and shoes again to escape the insects!

The next kilometres were so full of U&W that I must have been pale with fear on my face. Jacek was observing the trail exit from his car. One cyclist emerged from the trail walking his bike, pale, unresponsive, apparently totally exhausted. I crashed again: this time in soft sand...

1687158114851.png

We got in Grębki to an agro-touristic ranch and stables which I was familiar with from the past. Yes, they had a spare room. With the bathroom outside and a bunk bed inside :) Oh, we could now take a shower, set the batteries, phones, and the Wahoo on charging, and have a couple until we fell fast asleep!

1687159587437.png

151 km on the Day 1.

tbc...

Last edited:
Jesus Christmas, Stefan!!!! You crashed and were unresponsive for several minutes??? 😯 Then vision impaired and were out of it when you were stopped, sat down and questioned?? That's a concussion, dear fellow, and an ambulance trip to the hospital in my mind, not a green flag to continue!! Really, really glad you are alright.

Wanna hear how the bike batteries held up, and I don't blame you for ditching the Vado for your lightweight ebike when the route threw those "hike up the hill with your bike on your shoulder" obstacles at you. I can never remember how my Vado is coded for the Walk function, so I'd struggle as well 🙁

In all, an amazing feat of endurance. Waiting now for the conclusion!

Mazovian Gravel 2023, East Mazovia Edition, MG 250 (160 mile) Race
Day 2, June 18th, 2023

Jacek was still asleep when I left the ranch at 4:45 am. It was raining during the night. I put my thin windbreaker on but it was rather necessary against the morning cold (in no case a chill! It was even warm if not the apparent wind of the e-bike, as it seemed to be windless!) The more I rode the more I realized what the real meaning of the "ultra" (as in ultramarathon) was. It was all about the difficulties staggering up as I was riding. Like, a forest road totally damaged by lumberjack vehicles and full of puddles. Or, a sandy road full of ruts, making it easy to crash. It looked as if those two guys Bartek and Marcin had a database of all most hopeless roads of East Mazovia and combined them into a race route plan! :D I was explained that the MG250 was just a "demo version of MG500 for the less advanced" :D

1687173929809.png

Would you call that road "gravel"? :) There, I was eating my early breakfast consisting of two bananas and some nutrients. There was a drizzle in the air.

1687174060662.png

The village of Jeruzal was made famous by the "Ranczo" (The Ranch) sitcom (I have never seen that programme!) The store visible in the picture has been televised as a model countryside store, with local weirdos sitting on the benches, drinking 8% fruit "wine" called Mamrot ("Mumble") and discussing things. The store got a cult following, and Jeruzal gets many visitors (who would have never heard of that village or the store if not TV). I hear Ms. Krystyna Więcławska has a good business as any tourist must buy a bottle of Mamrot while in Jeruzal! :D I was thinking of buying a bottle of Mamrot myself! Alas! The store was opened from 8 am on Sundays while I arrived in Jeruzal at seven!

1687174693231.png

At least two (remote) villages were renamed to Jeruzal in 19th c. The local people thought the new name (Jerusal-em) would bring a lot of pilgrims :) I have already been to both Jeruzals! The guy on the bike, Łukasz, was my direct rival on the ride. Riding from Liw through the creek as well as U&Ws he effectively cancelled my strategic advantage! We started really racing... Pretending not to :) (Jacek sent me earlier the message: "There are still 15 riders in Liw. Fight!")

1687175034927.png

That's why it is called "ultra" :) (I could not take photos in really bad places as I was fighting for my dear life!)

1687175232534.png

After long and hard ride, I found myself in the area more familiar to me, on the Vistula right embankment. When I saw
this, I yelled: "These perverts! To tell us to ride on grass! What next?!" :D

1687175393156.png

Oh yes they could invent even more. Now, we had to carry our bikes up the steep and high staircase onto the Góra Kalwaria road bridge over the Vistula...

1687175481900.png

If you think the staircase was not steep or high, see it from the right perspective :) I was already atop with my pannier (carrying it upstairs felt like climbing Calvary with the cross...). Before I was ready to pick my Vado SL downstairs, a line of gravel cyclists (mostly from MG500) formed there! Let me not describe getting the Vado SL upstairs using the Walk Mode (the stairs were too steep to carry the VSL in my hand) or racing through an extremely narrow pedestrian walkway along the bridge, or zooming with traffic to the next exit...

Yes, those guys invented the "Mt Calvary Cobblestone Climb" as described in Post #1,124! As I could make it and was overcharged with adrenalin, I started really racing :) I sprinted through Góra Kalwaria and started approaching a 10% curvy descent. I could see several people on bikes with drop-bars behind me, trying to catch up with me. No way! I sprinted even faster and descended at crazy speed. When I was already on the flat, I heard "ON YER LEFT!" and then several Time Trial bikes overtook me :D The Góra Kalwaria Trail is reportedly the most ridden segment in the world (according to Strava). I was sprinting all the time (or pedalled as hard as I could in SL Turbo mode), and I was overtaking any gravel cyclist I met (all of them were already very tired!)

The roadies always take a detour between Dębówka and Cieciszew and then head towards Gassy. Our trail was gravel one (very narrow and technical) just along the river and straight to Gassy. When I was riding there, I exclaimed aloud: "Just the last fuggin' gravel road on the race! And possibly my last one ever!" -- and at that moment a gravel cyclist overtook me. He could hear my every word! :D As we passed Gassy, we got onto a paved road towards the blue bridge of Jeziorka and we turned left there. Suddenly, several Time Trial bikes appeared on my left side, with the smiling riders merrily shouting at me: "Guy! You are great! Don't give up! Race together with us!" but I had to turn left... onto the very last gravel road on the trip! And... There was a MG500 rider pedalling hard. As we rode side by side, I asked 'MG500?' -- 'Yes!' -- 'Then I don't race with you' -- I said -- 'I let you be first on the finish line' -- to which he replied -- 'My foot feels like burning. I do not race anymore today!' --

1687177318354.png

So I crossed the finish line...

1687176975488.png

...and pulled brake levers hard! I heard bravos and hand-clapping. A female photographer took several pictures of me, and I was laughing from the delight! (I hope to get those pictures!)

1687177134316.png

Drunk with happiness, I expressed the greatest compliments of the ride plan to Marcin the co-organizer! Yes, it was a real adventure, once you passed all the obstacles! It was no time for boredom during the race!

1687177396039.png

I was immediately decorated by a little boy, got a bottle of the special "Finisher's Beer" (whatever it was, it tasted like the nectar of the gods!), and a little girl approached me to offer food, excellent coffee and perhaps some mineral water? I felt like in heaven!

1687177675646.png

Then Jacek took the customary photo of me at the finish line (Polish: Meta).

1687178114418.png

I was the last competitor who got the applause as the awarding ceremony for MG500 started in several minutes after my arrival! See the Women's Masters. The winner Maria rode 509 km for 32 seconds short of 21 hours! The redhead with the braid is a popular female roadie champion known as the "Rust", and she represented the bronze medallist, and acted as a co-organizer. The tall man in blue is Marcin the co-organizer, and the dark man in black T-shirt is Bartek co-organizer. The latter is known for his motto: "To ride, you have to be riding" (that is "if you want to survive a gravel race, you have to persistently be working out on a bike"). A great motto!

1687179018880.png

Men Masters, MG500. The winner Grzegorz rode the 509 km in 17 hours 45 minutes gross! What a feat!

As you already know, I finished the 255 km race as #248 out of 283, so I was better than 35 other people who started in MG250 :) The "Jeruzal Man" Łukasz arrived 17 minutes behind, and another one was 31 minutes behind me. I lost to a man who was on the finish line just 5 minutes before me! I could have one cigarette less to be better than him! :)

1687180285970.png

263 km in 12 hours and 17 minutes of pedalling, 26 hours 48 minutes from start to finish.
----------------------
@Readytoride: Thank you very much for your concern! I must have experienced a slight concussion but was lucky again! And totally motivated to finish the race! ❤️

As for e-bikes: In my opinion, the current e-bike technology eliminates our steeds from ultramarathons. Either the e-bike (and the batteries/chargers) is too heavy for harsh terrain, or (in case of lightweight e-bikes with small Range Extenders), the charging time overnight would take as much of time as to place the rider in the last place! I could only make my feat thanks to two e-bikes and the SAG car...

Next year, Jacek buys a traditional gravel bike and rides in the MG 2024 (I pass). As for myself, I plan taking part in two 200 km events: Sudovia Gravel, and the Kaszebe Runda. The former (northeast Poland, Suwałki) is organized on beautiful gravel roads with many very steep inclines. The latter is a totally open formula (not a race) on asphalt roads of Kashubia (in Pomoria, near to Gdańsk). Both events will be good for my Vado 6.0 with three batteries as long as I replace the Vado tyres with my Schwalbe Smart Sam tyres.

Dear friends, thank you for your time and patience about my big reports!

Last edited:
Jesus Christmas, Stefan!!!! You crashed and were unresponsive for several minutes??? 😯 Then vision impaired and were out of it when you were stopped, sat down and questioned?? That's a concussion, dear fellow, and an ambulance trip to the hospital in my mind, not a green flag to continue!! Really, really glad you are alright.

Wanna hear how the bike batteries held up, and I don't blame you for ditching the Vado for your lightweight ebike when the route threw those "hike up the hill with your bike on your shoulder" obstacles at you. I can never remember how my Vado is coded for the Walk function, so I'd struggle as well 🙁

In all, an amazing feat of endurance. Waiting now for the conclusion!
Agree with this, you need to be very careful with concussion! Make sure you replace that helmet, Stefan! @Stefan Mikes

Friends 😊 Do you think I could process all those pictures if I still suffered the concussion I could have got last Saturday morning? 😊

Art, you joker! 🤣 Some people enjoy taking risks for fun. I'm not that type. I just love to have goals 😊 The goal for MG 2023 250 was precisely defined, the rules too (if I broke them three or four times who cares?) 😊

Now, my Strava handle reads Stefan Mikeš Mikulski | Electric Bike Review 😊 I do represent you people 😁

View attachment 156184
The red GPS means the rider was penalized with extra time for not riding exactly the mandatory route.
Where was BROTHER?

Oh, now I realize he was your support person and not riding. That's how you had a spare light-weight bike! I can be slow especially even reading about a L O N G R I D E!

Last edited:
Where was BROTHER?

Oh, now I realize he was your support person and not riding. That's how you had a spare light-weight bike! I can be slow especially even reading about a L O N G R I D E!
I will be honest Kahn: if not the brother, I would not make the race. He was my transport early in the morning. He took care of me after I crashed. He made it possible to swap e-bikes on the ride (I could not make it without the Vado 6.0 for some 80 km). I got pictures from him I could not make himself!

Jacek (59) is a healthy, slim person. He now rides with my former gravel cycling club, and got infected with the gravel cycling. Yes he will be riding epic rides on the Giant Trance E+ I gave him: In the mountains :) But he wants to be riding gravel on a regular bike.

That is why I want to take part in any gravel event where the heavy Vado 6.0 with three batteries would do :)

Now, watch the video. My start in the race. My friend, the Welsh Paul N. was encouraging me: "Good luck, Stefan, good luck!". It was so sweet! And he speaks such good Polish!

I will be honest Kahn: if not the brother, I would not make the race. He was my transport early in the morning. He took care of me after I crashed. He made it possible to swap e-bikes on the ride (I could not make it without the Vado 6.0 for some 80 km). I got pictures from him I could not make himself!

Jacek (59) is a healthy, slim person. He now rides with my former gravel cycling club, and got infected with the gravel cycling. Yes he will be riding epic rides on the Giant Trance E+ I gave him: In the mountains :) But he wants to be riding gravel on a regular bike.

That is why I want to take part in any gravel event where the heavy Vado 6.0 with three batteries would do :)

Now, watch the video. My start in the race. My friend, the Welsh Paul N. was encouraging me: "Good luck, Stefan, good luck!". It was so sweet! And he speaks such good Polish!
You know I dislike videos @Stefan Mikes . I'll do it later ... but I remember you complaining about your legs not being strong enough to ever ride a SL bike ... and now you just finished an ultra marathon? ... on an SL .?? :p
And imagine carrying your heavy ebike over all that ....

Last edited:
Woohoo…nicely done, Stefan!! 👍This ride should go down as one, if not, the most epic one that you’ve accomplished. Glad to hear that you survived the crash and kudos for getting back on the saddle when many would have conceded. Jacek is such a good brother and deserves a medal for being your SAG. 😍

Back