2019 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Maps

Roads less traveled:

The view I rode: Going-to-the-Sun-Road, Glacier NP, Montana:

Bossburg Cutoff Road, near Barstow, WA:

Cooper Mountain Road, near Manson, WA:

Cascading Rivers Scenic Bikeway, near Estacada, OR:

Smith Rock and marijuana fields, near Terrebone, OR:

Basket Mountain Road, Blue Mountains, near Milton-Freewater, OR:

25 miles this weekend with 9 of us from the local bike shop group on the gravel C&O tow path from Point of Rocks (Maryland) into Harper's Ferry (West Virginia). Terrific ride with a super, super fun group. We all ride at about the same level and speed, so that's a plus. Chilly and overcast, 41°f (5°c).

Enroute to our destination there had been a trail washout a month or so back so bad that the Park Service had closed the path and put in a detour that would have warmed the heart of any mountain biker. The pic doesn't do the slope justice, but trust me when I say it was steep enough for feet to slip pushing a bike. The group walked their bikes down and up. My ebike barely made the slope at highest assist, lowest gear. I had to put in the best of my own power to make it up the steepest side still on the bike. Barely made it to the top.
IMG_20191130_135209619_HDR.jpg

My ebike sitting on the detour bridge over the creek. The trail washout (which swept away an entire section of the old historic tow path) is seen in the background (before the stone bridge of the RR tracks). There is only a remnant of the 1800s bridge remaining (seen just above the back of my bike in the photo)

The red thing on the back rack of my LaFree is actually a battery cover since the temps were high 30s to low 40 degrees (f). Had to custom make a cover due to the way the battery slides into the rack - it is a precise fit in the rack, including a special locking slide for accurate placement, with no room for a full cover. The quilted fabric obviously did the job of helping keep my 400w battery warm since I ended up with over 50% battery still left at the end of the ride even though I used the middle assist (200%) pretty much the entire way. The normal capacity for 3rd level assist is 53 miles. Despite the cold weather, my battery was still performing at optimum.

The red thing on the front fork is a big red Christmas bow. I'm ready for the holidays!!
IMG_20191130_134936511_HDR-756x1008.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a a fun ride with a great group.

I’m curious what the other cyclists thought of your ebike after your ride up that steep slope?

25 miles this weekend with 9 of us from the local bike shop group on the gravel C&O tow path from Point of Rocks (Maryland) into Harper's Ferry (West Virginia). Terrific ride with a super, super fun group. We all ride at about the same level and speed, so that's a plus. Chilly and overcast, 41°f (5°c).

Enroute to our destination there had been a trail washout a month or so back so bad that the Park Service had closed the path and put in a detour that would have warmed the heart of any mountain biker. The pic doesn't do the slope justice, but trust me when I say it was steep enough for feet to slip pushing a bike. The group walked their bikes down and up. My ebike barely made the slope at highest assist, lowest gear. I had to put in the best of my own power to make it up the steepest side still on the bike. Barely made it to the top.
View attachment 42327

My ebike sitting on the detour bridge over the creek. The trail washout (which swept away an entire section of the old historic tow path) is seen in the background (before the stone bridge of the RR tracks). There is only a remnant of the 1800s bridge remaining (seen just above the back of my bike in the photo)

The red thing on the back rack of my LaFree is actually a battery cover since the temps were high 30s to low 40 degrees (f). Had to custom make a cover due to the way the battery slides into the rack - it is a precise fit in the rack, including a special locking slide for accurate placement, with no room for a full cover. The quilted fabric obviously did the job of helping keep my 400w battery warm since I ended up with over 50% battery still left at the end of the ride even though I used the middle assist (200%) pretty much the entire way. The normal capacity for 3rd level assist is 53 miles. Despite the cold weather, my battery was still performing at optimum.

The red thing on the front fork is a big red Christmas bow. I'm ready for the holidays!!
View attachment 42329

That washout has been there since 6/18. It used to be much worse: no path up, so you kind of had to hoist the bike up over your shoulder at a location well to the left of the bridge, if you are going eastward. Summer 2018 I had a loaded ebike+trailer so there was no hoisting for me. I had to take the very unpleasant roads around ....

I’m puzzled by the length of time it’s taken to fix this, but last I heard it was out on bid.

The hill after the bridge isn’t too bad, but I would not ride down it. Why did you ride up it if you were going to Harper’s Ferry? Or was this on the way back to Point of Rocks?

Note: this is the low-water solution. After a good rain, you have to find an alternative if you are on an ebike.

Last edited:
Good for another century?
2019-12-03-thagoona-house.jpg

My guess is that Victoria was still the queen of Queensland when this house was built.

It has been 'improved' with a few PVC downpipes and, judging from the green patch in the parched 'garden', a septic toilet system has been installed. The veranda around three sides has not been filled in (thank goodness!) and the wooden stumps with their all-important galvanised steel termite barriers are much as they would have been at the time of construction. There'll be a century's worth of junk stored beneath the house (snake paradise).

As for the barbed wire fence… it's almost worthy of heritage listing itself.

Ride : 55 km / 2019 : 15,297 km

That washout has been there since 6/18. It used to be much worse: no path up, so you kind of had to hoist the bike up over your shoulder at a location well to the left of the bridge, if you are going eastward. Summer 2018 I had a loaded ebike+trailer so there was no hoisting for me. I had to take the very unpleasant roads around ....

I’m puzzled by the length of time it’s taken to fix this, but last I heard it was out on bid.

The hill after the bridge isn’t too bad, but I would not ride down it. Why did you ride up it if you were going to Harper’s Ferry? Or was this on the way back to Point of Rocks?

Note: this is the low-water solution. After a good rain, you have to find an alternative if you are on an ebike.
The photo was taken on the way back to Point of Rocks. I rode ahead of the group to set myself up to take photos. I did take photos of the crossing going east to west, but it was everyone's backs. Not as interesting a series of photos to share.

Did not know the washout was almost a year and a half old!! Most probably the holdup to repair is the desire to replace the centuries old stone bridge with a duplicate build so the tow path retains its historic integrity.

Funny story - as I reached the detour there was a gentlemen on his recumbent, stopped at the top of my side of detour, looking at the open gap of the washed out pathway. I asked if he was OK and if he would need any help going through the detour (my concern being would his recumbent be too wide for the plank bridge, and too heavy pushing up the east slope for one person alone). He laughed, thanked me, and said he'd already come through the detour (down steep east and up easier slope west). I declared myself greatly impressed, and he laughed again.

I shot about 6 photos of the group walking down the west slope and pushing up the east slope. This was my favorite shot.

I contemplated what I'd have to do to portage my bike, and decided it would be an adventure I wouldn't mind doing once. Doing it twice? Nah.

Last edited:
Looks like a a fun ride with a great group.

I’m curious what the other cyclists thought of your ebike after your ride up that steep slope?
The group is a gathering of a really fun, relaxed, easy going people. Very enjoyable to ride with and socialize. Our group leaders are always looking for enjoyable rides with places to see. In two weeks we'll be doing an evening hour ride around town to see the houses all lit with Christmas lights and decorations. We'll have our own bikes decorated with lights as well.

Anyway, back to this ride: Most did see me ride up the more gently inclined steep west side on our way to Harper's Ferry. I had stayed behind to take photos and thus rode my bike down the steep side, across the bridge, and came up the slope as they stood for a breather at the top. But they expect an ebike to make hills look easy and my bike did not disappoint. It just zoomed up in middle gear, highest assist. Never missed a beat. I looked cool and nonplussed, and was greeted with grins, of course.

They didn't see me ride up the steep east slope because about a half mile down the trail I'd gone far enough ahead to get up to the top of the detour and set myself up to take the best shots. Had they been there they would not have seen me zooming. They would have seen me come to a damn near dead standstill just shy of the top despite my motor, the granny gear, and my best efforts. Maybe I shouldn't had stopped and photographed my bike on the bridge, but instead used that causeway to ramp a decent takeoff. I didn't, but was stupid enough to start my assent from a standstill at the very bottom.:p But I made it all the way up and didn't put a foot down until I was at the top. But ... it was a close shave! I was standing and pushing on those pedals for all I was worth!

As our gang finished the detour and regrouped flanking both sides of the original tow path to take a break and a breather, we saw a very fit 20 something (heading our way on the far side) turn to take the detour, go flying down the west slope, zoom across the planks, and power up the steep east slope without breaking a sweat. All the guys in our group were vocally impressed, and we laughed and applauded the guy as he got back on the trail and zipped by us with a smile. He was going so fast I didn't see what type of bike he was riding, but it for sure wasn't an ebike. I think it was a hybrid.

Nothing like being young on a fast bike! 😁

Last edited:
Nothing like being young on a fast bike!
R2R …
That's why so many of us love our ebikes; they take a decade or two off our age and let the fun times continue.

A ride shared with friends is so much better. I have a once-a-month date with members of my old road group. We ride so slowly that the two of us with ebikes switch off our motors. If only we could make a few more converts!

Thank you for sharing the story behind the photos.
… David

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of my favorite regions of the US to bike, known as “Driftless,” or bypassed by glaciers 100,000 years ago. It’s the quad-state area of SE Minnesota, SW Wisconsin, NE Iowa and a patch of NW Illinois. This is the upper Mississippi River and the bridge on the left connects Marquette, IA, with Prarie Du Chien, WI. I am standing in Pikes Peak State Park (IA) looking at Wisconsin.

I’ve been here four times, 2X on a Bianchi cross bike, once with a R&M Charger, and most recently with a R&M Nevo.

Attachments

• 6195EE9E-47F2-4456-9F31-DF448606BC90.jpeg
    6195EE9E-47F2-4456-9F31-DF448606BC90.jpeg
    608.9 KB · Views: 425
The trees are standing in their own shadows so …
2019-12-06-woody-pt-a.jpg

It must be midday in the South Pacific!

Moreton Bay Cycleway at Woody Point, Redcliffe Peninsula — at 34 km on the map (switch to Satellite View to see these young Moreton Bay figs).

Ride : 91 km / 2019 : 15,398 km

A short ride from home …
fairney-view.jpg

Brisbane Valley Rail Trail near Fairney View (12 km from home).

The rail trail varies greatly in quality but, being just two minutes from home, the temptation to slip out for a short ride is always there.

Winter on the Darling Downs …
2009_bbta_dalby_06aa.jpg

There's been quite a bit of chatter on another thread about appropriate winter clothing, so here's how to go about cycling across the Darling Downs (interior Queensland) in midwinter.

The trip was with the Brisbane Bicycle Touring Association (BBTA) and I was leading the slowest of the four groups (aka Dave's Dawdlers). The bike is my Airnimal Black Rhino (Rohloff-equipped folder) that I was keen to convert to an ebike before giving up on the venture because it was just too complicated. I still wonder whether I should have fitted it with a electric motor in the front wheel which could have been left at home (with the battery) when air travel was involved.

X marks the spot …
2019-12-11-skydive-aaa.jpg

Click photo to fill screen.
  • Moreton Bay Cycleway runs between the beach and the houses.
  • Photo taken at Osbourne Point — 41 km on map.
Ride : 96 km / 2019 : 15,692 km

Ahhh. The balmy, warm, sunny inviting biking weather...is not what I found stepping outside with my bike yesterday morning. I had rushed preparations for a quick ride, spurred on by a forecaster's solemn promise - a window of about an hour of fairly tempid autumn warmth (50f/10c) under unenthusiastic skies before the incessant rains moved in yet again, and the temps began their slide into true winter.

And thus I found myself starting out under depressed skies and on shiny roads still wet from recent rain, a bit concerned as my phone pinged a warning from my weather app (which I dutifully read) that "rain was expected to start in 20 minutes". I had wanted to rush a 20 mile ride into that promised hour. Now that hour had been chopped to a stingy one-third...and I was barely out the driveway.

So I adjusted my neck warmer up and over my nose, put the bike into Sport+ mode (highest assist, relatively speaking, because that bike and I would be at full gallop, so to speak, the entire way), and, ignoring the siren call of the nearby gravel roads because they would be slower than the solitary paved road in my neck of the woods plus they would have made my bike filthy, I zoomed off.

18mph was my average, with only two stops to take pictures, and one stop to call VDOT to have them arrange pick up the four bags of litter I'd collected on this route just 3 days ago (using my other ebike - another story for another time). At the 10 mile point, as I stopped to take a pic, my phone pinged again, this time quite ominously. The weather app, boldly taking over the home screen without fanfare, now warned outright that the rain was charging in...fast. I blanched. The app said I had about 3 minutes before the onslaught of rain started. At that moment, prophetically, the gloomy heavens released the advance guard, and rain began tapping on my helmet to get my attention. I was still 5 miles from home.

Well, the weather app had lied. No sooner had I tucked my phone away than the real rain, without further notice and in direct - may I add - unsporting violation of the 3 minute promise of reprieve, began coming down. I put all my panic onto my bike pedals, racing the final 5 miles home in record time. I arrived safe and sound, barely able to see through foggy rain splattered glasses, my clothing wet from rain and sweat.

Needless to say I had the best afternoon nap on the couch later on. The rain never let up. It poured down all afternoon and into the evening, the temps starting their inevitable slide back to December weather.

As I sit here writing this, the rain has metamorphed and it is now snowing outside. Soft, soundless, and very pretty.

My bike and I may have to wait for a while before we can venture out together again. The winter freeze, it seems, is here to stay.

(Below: the Blue Ridge mountains in the distance are generally very faithful to their name. But not when rain begins to deliberately obscure them, as it is doing so here)
IMG_20191210_100254165_HDR-756x1008.jpg

(Below: the disapproving skies, hanging low and more than ready to inflict yet more heavy duty atmospheric moisture on the already soggy landscape, and, by default, anything dumb enough to be lingering outside, snapping photos, as well.
IMG_20191210_095635444_HDR-756x1008.jpg

Last edited:
The 'Bush' …
2019-03-11-coominya-esk.jpg

• Dry and dusty… and a very good reason for running Schwalbe Marathon Plus MTBs with Tannus Armour inside.
  • Thank goodness, too, for Gates Carbon Drive and Rohloff E-14 internal gear hub.
  • My 2019 R&M Homage has covered around 4000 km on tracks like this – passed 12345 km on it this weekend!
  • With temperatures beyond awful, Monday – usually my long-distance day – will be spent indoors.

Back