2019 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Maps

Commuting alongside the Brisbane River …
2019-11-18-bicent-cc.jpg

Click photo to fill screen.
  • Bicentennial Bikeway connecting nd Brisbane Central and the University of Queensland.
  • Look beyond the two concrete bridges and you will see the over-water section of the bikeway continuing just above the river.

Last edited by a moderator:
Subtropical spring …
2019-11-25-spathodea-hdr.jpg

Spathodea overhanging the Brisbane River — left bank downstream from city centre. (Photo at 37 km.)

2019-11-25-spathodea-hdr-cu-a.jpg

A small section cropped from the previous photo to show the flowers. In a few weeks they'll be littering the bikeway and – this is just wishful thinking – the rain will turn them into the wickedest of slippery obstacles.

Ride : 174 km / 2019 : 14,865 km

And thank you so much for sharing the beauty of your home area with us all. It really would make an amazing coffee table book.

I know it has taken effort cubed. Effort in pausing to take all those gorgeous photos, effort to write about them and put them in context and effort to ride all those incredible kilometers on your bikes.

Looking back over 20 pages o this thread of your work is truly amazing. Thank you, Thank you. Thank you.

• Does everybody reasonable in the world use the Mirrycle?
  • Do you use the British-style brakes (left for rear, right for front)?
Stefan …
Yes and Yes.

Mirrycle seems to be the default mirror by which others are judged. That said, there are other options that many find preferable – Richard might like to add a photo or two. The Mirrycle can be set left or right; above or below; inside or outside the bar end. All bases covered? It's also the only brand to prompt forum spellcheckers into performing their miracles.

Front brake on the right (same as the mirror). I cannot figure out any connection between that and which side of the road we ride on, although I have heard an implausibly complicated explanation of the issue at a mid-ride coffee stop. Too much caffeine?

And one more thing… left and right turns are signalled by stretching out the left or right arm! (There's an earnest discussion on the subject going on elsewhere on the EBR Forum.)
… David

Richard, Dave and Rab …
Thank you for your kind comments.
… David

Per Dave's request,: The Busch & Muller 701 mirror I have on all my bikes is rather substantial. It is designed for the left handlebar but If used on the right handlebar it would have to be upside down but would still work. It has a spring pivot on the vertical axis so you can quickly fold it inwards when going through a door and it will swing in if hit...very durable and quite large at 115mm long. It is EU approved for fast ebikes. https://www.starbike.com/en/busch-und-mueller-e-bike-mirror-for-e-bikes/
busch muller 701.jpg
busch_and_muller_e-bike_mirror_left_hand_1400x.jpg

Stefan …
Yes and Yes.

Mirrycle seems to be the default mirror by which others are judged. That said, there are other options that many find preferable – Richard might like to add a photo or two. The Mirrycle can be set left or right; above or below; inside or outside the bar end. All bases covered? It's also the only brand to prompt forum spellcheckers into performing their miracles.

Front brake on the right (same as the mirror). I cannot figure out any connection between that and which side of the road we ride on, although I have heard an implausibly complicated explanation of the issue at a mid-ride coffee stop. Too much caffeine?

And one more thing… left and right turns are signalled by stretching out the left or right arm! (There's an earnest discussion on the subject going on elsewhere on the EBR Forum.)
… David
To prove your point David here is my Turbo Vado with as many as two Mirrycles ;) I found it necessary for an S-Pedelec to have both installed for even more safety. I learned about Mirrycle from EBR Forums!

The brake question explained; thank you.

Turn signalling is same in Australia as it is in Poland. Additionally, the intention to stop is signalled by rising left arm upwards here.

I have to congratulate you your exploit @David Berry! I'm new to EBR Forums and I was unaware this extensive thread has documented your trips. As the thread is extensive, could you tell me what camera was used for your photos? These are brilliant!

Safely separated …
2019-11-29-qutgp-aaa.jpg

• Tourists — separate walkway; out of sight beyond the mangroves.
  • Ferry Commuters — walkway through mangroves (orange railings) connecting to city via tunnel under motorway.
  • Pedestrians — soft impact asphalt.
  • Cyclists — green bikeway.
  • Motor Vehicles — multi-level elevated motorway; system of tunnels.
  • Buses — dedicated tunnel and own motorway on other side of river.
Ride : 113 km / 2019 : 15,120 km

Could you tell me what camera was used for your photos?
Stefan …
Until earlier this month ride photos were taken on my old iPhone 6 (2014). Apple offers a new iPhone temptation every September and, judging by what has been written about them, the latest crop are so good that one needs to ask what the point of buying a 'real' camera is. The answer is twofold: iPhones are expensive and, more significantly, I'd still have to look at a screen blotted out by sunlight rather than looking through a 'proper' camera viewfinder (actually looking at a tiny TV screen inside the viewfinder). So…

Three weeks ago I splurged on a really simple old-style compact camera with a fixed wide-angle lens (no zooming; told you it was simple!) and said viewfinder. It gets tossed in the handlebar bag to share my adventures.
… David

Good lord, that setup in your city is amazing. I have never seen anything like that.

Good looking building there on the right, too.

Downstream, from the opposite bank, and on another ride …
2019-11-29-kc-b.jpg

• Looking upstream from the Brisbane River's right bank.
  • The previous photo was taken beyond the blue yacht and motorway.
  • The cycleway is hidden between the mangroves growing in the river and the taller trees in the City Botanical Gardens.

Sheltering from the wind and sun …
2019-12-02-ecb-kbb-comp copy.jpg

Today was hot and windy so I scrapped my original plan for a day in the mountains and wandered around the more sheltered bike paths that Brisbane has to offer, especially one that led to a rather pleasant patisserie.
  • Kedron Brook Bikeway
  • Enoggera Creek Bikeway
Ride : 107 km / 2019 : 15,244 km

Back