Your experiences with the new Mahle MySmartBike app (replacement for Ebikemotion)

Hello Javi,
I personally like a GPS-based solution , since it is more independent of calibrations, independent of the position of the phone and is already being used in some way in the Mahle app. I understand that it is a question of precision, but like everything in life, that precision should be quantified. I have some measurements with different devices for a same route and I will try to compare results.
By the way, have you ever thought about incorporating a GPS into the PulsarOne?
Best Regards
Hello Antonio,

If we use GPS you will calculate the slope based on the height of previous GPS location compared to the current one.
The value is in meters but looks like it have decimal values... I will modify an app to get a position every second to check the precision luckily this weekend will not rain an can make some tests :D
The biggest problem that i see is the GPS chips and antenas that use every phone. On iOS we can asume that have good quality but some cheap Android devices could have cheap chips with low quality.

Best regards

Hello Antonio,

If we use GPS you will calculate the slope based on the height of previous GPS location compared to the current one.
The value is in meters but looks like it have decimal values... I will modify an app to get a position every second to check the precision luckily this weekend will not rain an can make some tests :D
The biggest problem that i see is the GPS chips and antenas that use every phone. On iOS we can asume that have good quality but some cheap Android devices could have cheap chips with low quality.

Best regards
Hello Javi
Very good news from you! Regarding the quality of the GPS chips and antennas in the different phones, it is something inert to the phone and not to the app ( it will be solved with a disclammer). You have to see the results and precisions obtained but looking at the current slope data obtained in the current app (see photo) with respect to well-known slopes, I do not see significant differences. Probably there is a difference in distance between the starting point of the actual slope and the starting point of the reported slope in the app. (It can be the sampling as you say). In any case, 10 or 15 meters more or less would not be a great inconvenience.

Attachments

• Slope test.png
    Slope test.png
    79.7 KB · Views: 92
Javi
I want to attach some basic slope measurement results with the Mahle app and with the Karoo Hammerhead cycle computer. I show you two results that were taken at two different points using an easy reference point on both maps.

Attachments

• 2022-12-15 07_44_56-Alajuela_Carrizal_VaraBlanca_Poasito_Alajuela _ road ride _ Komoot — Mozil...png
    2022-12-15 07_44_56-Alajuela_Carrizal_VaraBlanca_Poasito_Alajuela _ road ride _ Komoot — Mozil...png
    55.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 2022-12-15 07_42_49-Alajuela_Carrizal_VaraBlanca_Poasito_Alajuela _ road ride _ Komoot — Mozil...png
    2022-12-15 07_42_49-Alajuela_Carrizal_VaraBlanca_Poasito_Alajuela _ road ride _ Komoot — Mozil...png
    73.7 KB · Views: 82
  • 2022-12-15 07_48_31-Alajuela_Carrizal_VaraBlanca_Poasito_Alajuela _ road ride _ Komoot — Mozil...png
    2022-12-15 07_48_31-Alajuela_Carrizal_VaraBlanca_Poasito_Alajuela _ road ride _ Komoot — Mozil...png
    91.1 KB · Views: 93
  • 2022-12-15 07_48_58-Alajuela_Carrizal_VaraBlanca_Poasito_Alajuela _ road ride _ Komoot — Mozil...png
    2022-12-15 07_48_58-Alajuela_Carrizal_VaraBlanca_Poasito_Alajuela _ road ride _ Komoot — Mozil...png
    81.1 KB · Views: 81
  • 2022-12-15 07_48_31-Alajuela_Carrizal_VaraBlanca_Poasito_Alajuela _ road ride _ Komoot — Mozil...png
    2022-12-15 07_48_31-Alajuela_Carrizal_VaraBlanca_Poasito_Alajuela _ road ride _ Komoot — Mozil...png
    91.1 KB · Views: 89
  • 2022-12-15 07_44_15-MY SMARTBIKE - Alajuela_cCarrizal_Vara Blanca_Poasito_Alajuela — Mozilla F...png
    2022-12-15 07_44_15-MY SMARTBIKE - Alajuela_cCarrizal_Vara Blanca_Poasito_Alajuela — Mozilla F...png
    114.2 KB · Views: 87
pues he actualizado la bicicleta de un compañero, y la precision de autonomia deja que desear, con el 72% de bateria le indica 350km de autonomia, no lo veo yo fiable, luego en el pulsar one cuando vas en nivel 1 por ejemplo no marca como lo llevas configurado en % en pulsar one, en el x35 si lo marca, lo de mapear motor si funciona bien, veremos que mas cosas salen.

Hello JaviGPZ

I think I have updated the firmware successfully - the mobile app says the new firmware is in place - but there is no motor adjustment mode. Is this correct? Or should I re-install the firmware?

Hello JaviGPZ

I think I have updated the firmware successfully - the mobile app says the new firmware is in place - but there is no motor adjustment mode. Is this correct? Or should I re-install the firmware?
I updated a scoot with x20 yesterday and the engine maps work fine and can be configured, I use Android.

I emptied the files from the charger drive and started again. Everything now works fine.

I emptied the files from the charger drive and started again. Everything now works fine.
Hi Javi
Any chance of putting in voice feedback for distance, speed, level assist, battery, it had this on the ebike motion app great on headphones I keep my phone in a pocket yes pulsa one gives that info but for night riding you cannot see it I realy miss this voice feedback
You could set it for time say every minute etc or every mile
One more thing I found with new firmware on my x20 bike
The HMI switches itself on so the whole bike is on
I shut it off it comes back on after 30 seconds yes another bug sent MAHLE email
Anyone else got this issue

Hello all,

I am sorry but I was a little bit disconnected this week.

@r1roman the range is something calculated by the bike we just show the data on the screen. It need some time to make a good estimation. Looks like it reset how to calculate the range after the update. Give it some rides and later let me know if it make good calculations or the problem persist.
@ikell hope you enjoy playing with the new motor maps ;)
@Dave the panda the true it is that this is the first news about a voice functionality. By now it is not on the roadmap.
@AntonioAlfaro at the end I did not enough time to make the test, it should wait until i come back from holidays 😅

Best Regards
Javier

Hi all to add some value to the distance calculation yes JaviGPZ is correct it is calculated by the bike based on voltage of battery at start and finish of ride vs distance travelled
as the firmware was all over the place pre update
The values were very high because the system was not using both values to calculate
the system does take time over a number of rides to average the distance calculations usually coming down each ride to settle on a lower and more accurate value
The new firmware now appears to work
I had this distance calculation a number of years ago when my battery and controller was replaced due to as it turns out a phantom firmware issue error which was never resolved
as pervious calculations were deleted the controller had to start again
As I remember it took about 10 or so rides to settle down
Mine is coming down each ride still a bit high
Hello all,

I am sorry but I was a little bit disconnected this week.

@r1roman the range is something calculated by the bike we just show the data on the screen. It need some time to make a good estimation. Looks like it reset how to calculate the range after the update. Give it some rides and later let me know if it make good calculations or the problem persist.
@ikell hope you enjoy playing with the new motor maps ;)
@Dave the panda the true it is that this is the first news about a voice functionality. By now it is not on the roadmap.
@AntonioAlfaro at the end I did not enough time to make the test, it should wait until i come back from holidays 😅

Best Regards
Javieri

The app looks great, but it looks like I have to give up hope that the app will work for me after June 13th. Neither 2.0.0 nor 2.0.1 version doesn't work.

I give up!

Good luck, all the best.

Otra vez no funciona lo de los mapas de motor en el x20, alguien mas con ese problema en la app?

Otra vez no funciona lo de los mapas de motor en el x20, alguien mas con ese problema en la app?
It works for me on IOS there are set levels and a custom one on the right
Explain in a bit more detail what is not working so we can help

When I translated r1romans message today I realised that posting pdf files means that people can't translate it.
It may be me, but I found the Mahle instructions difficult to follow and made many mistakes before I got my e-ride firmware updated successfully, so I wrote to Mahle and sent them this Idiots guide to updating X20 firmware.
They responded that they had read my article "with delight" ( I kid you not) so I'm posting it here as well.as text, not pdf, for anyone who is having problems.

Scott e-Ride X20 Firmware Updates

When you get an email from Mahle telling you there is a new firmware update you may, like me, grab your charger, connect it up and follow the instructions on the website.

Best of luck.

The video, I think, is the best to follow, but you need to follow it exactly…well, mostly.

That is, first of all, update the charger firmware. This one, December 22, is GCU-2_1.51-zip. Download the zipped file and, if you are using a Mac, click on the zip and its will give you a folder. Transfer that folder to your desktop.

Connect your charger and it should show a blue light. This means it is connected and ready to receive the firmware update. You will see an external drive icon on your desktop called MAHLE.

Click on it and it should show an empty drive. Mine didn’t, but I’ll come to it later because I made a mess of updating the firmware, which is why I’m writing this.

Click open the folder on your desktop and transfer the file to the Mahle drive.

Don’t load the system firmware update at the same time. Just the charger update.

Safely eject the Mahle drive and plug it in. This is where things go a little off piste.

Mahle tell you to wait till the green light on the charger goes white. You will be waiting a long time because their idea of white is my idea of light green, not the rich green that says it is updating itself. The rich green soon changes to light green - but its still green, so I hung on for ages staring at the light green lights which stared straight back.

When you get the steady light green light, unplug the charger from the mains and plug it back in to your computer.

Click on the Mahle drive icon and if everything is OK, the file you put there will have vanished. There will be a log file, which, if you open it, will tell you that the firmware is updated successfully.

If the file is still there, take it out and put it in the bin then reload the file from the Mahle update again and repeat the operation from “Safely eject the Mahle drive….”

Once you have a successful firmware update, NOW unzip and move the X20 firmware system update folder to your desktop and transfer the contents of that folder to the Mahle drive.

As it says on the Mahle website, don’t transfer the folder itself, just the contents.

Now go to your bike and plug the charger into the wall first.

It will flash purple for a bit, then will settle down to the light green colour that Mahle call white.

Now plug it in and wait while the files are transferred. Even though they are less than a megabyte, they take a minute or two and you can see the progress on the bike HMI as the purple light gradually grow longer.

Everything goes off on the bike, the charger goes green and you think “That’s it!”

If you hang on, the charger starts flashing purple again but I assume it is cleaning up because after a minute or two it goes back to green.

If you check your phone app, you should fined that your bike has a new firmware version. You can now adopt a smug smile of achievement.

So, what did I do wrong?

Pretty well everything, as it happens. I uploaded everything in one go. The charger firmware may have updated but I got a series of flashing red lights when I plugged the bike in. On the charger drive there were two previous firmware updates which I was afraid to move as I didn’t understand why they were there. So I put everything on the Mahle drive into an separate folder on the desktop in case I upset the charger, and then followed the procedure as described above.

Unless you start with a clean Mahle drive, the system firmware won’t load.

If you load everything at once onto the charger, it won’t update the bike.

And if you transfer the folder then open its contents on the Mahle drive, that won’t work either.

When I translated r1romans message today I realised that posting pdf files means that people can't translate it.
It may be me, but I found the Mahle instructions difficult to follow and made many mistakes before I got my e-ride firmware updated successfully, so I wrote to Mahle and sent them this Idiots guide to updating X20 firmware.
They responded that they had read my article "with delight" ( I kid you not) so I'm posting it here as well.as text, not pdf, for anyone who is having problems.

Scott e-Ride X20 Firmware Updates

When you get an email from Mahle telling you there is a new firmware update you may, like me, grab your charger, connect it up and follow the instructions on the website.

Best of luck.

The video, I think, is the best to follow, but you need to follow it exactly…well, mostly.

That is, first of all, update the charger firmware. This one, December 22, is GCU-2_1.51-zip. Download the zipped file and, if you are using a Mac, click on the zip and its will give you a folder. Transfer that folder to your desktop.

Connect your charger and it should show a blue light. This means it is connected and ready to receive the firmware update. You will see an external drive icon on your desktop called MAHLE.

Click on it and it should show an empty drive. Mine didn’t, but I’ll come to it later because I made a mess of updating the firmware, which is why I’m writing this.

Click open the folder on your desktop and transfer the file to the Mahle drive.

Don’t load the system firmware update at the same time. Just the charger update.

Safely eject the Mahle drive and plug it in. This is where things go a little off piste.

Mahle tell you to wait till the green light on the charger goes white. You will be waiting a long time because their idea of white is my idea of light green, not the rich green that says it is updating itself. The rich green soon changes to light green - but its still green, so I hung on for ages staring at the light green lights which stared straight back.

When you get the steady light green light, unplug the charger from the mains and plug it back in to your computer.

Click on the Mahle drive icon and if everything is OK, the file you put there will have vanished. There will be a log file, which, if you open it, will tell you that the firmware is updated successfully.

If the file is still there, take it out and put it in the bin then reload the file from the Mahle update again and repeat the operation from “Safely eject the Mahle drive….”

Once you have a successful firmware update, NOW unzip and move the X20 firmware system update folder to your desktop and transfer the contents of that folder to the Mahle drive.

As it says on the Mahle website, don’t transfer the folder itself, just the contents.

Now go to your bike and plug the charger into the wall first.

It will flash purple for a bit, then will settle down to the light green colour that Mahle call white.

Now plug it in and wait while the files are transferred. Even though they are less than a megabyte, they take a minute or two and you can see the progress on the bike HMI as the purple light gradually grow longer.

Everything goes off on the bike, the charger goes green and you think “That’s it!”

If you hang on, the charger starts flashing purple again but I assume it is cleaning up because after a minute or two it goes back to green.

If you check your phone app, you should fined that your bike has a new firmware version. You can now adopt a smug smile of achievement.

So, what did I do wrong?

Pretty well everything, as it happens. I uploaded everything in one go. The charger firmware may have updated but I got a series of flashing red lights when I plugged the bike in. On the charger drive there were two previous firmware updates which I was afraid to move as I didn’t understand why they were there. So I put everything on the Mahle drive into an separate folder on the desktop in case I upset the charger, and then followed the procedure as described above.

Unless you start with a clean Mahle drive, the system firmware won’t load.

If you load everything at once onto the charger, it won’t update the bike.

And if you transfer the folder then open its contents on the Mahle drive, that won’t work either.

Hello Ikell,

I hope that the team take into account your feedback.
Thank you!

Best Regards
Javier

Hi Roman,

iOS or Android? Did you receive the previous message about "Not available yet" or what happens?

Best Regards
Javier

So after a month I sat on the bike and again got an unpleasant surprise from the company.
Mahle in the form of a new application, already this year about " Fifth in order".
For God's sake, you can put a video somewhere on how to launch the app to record the ride.
Previously, there was START – today there is nothing there and how many times you need to press the button is no longer clear to me.
After returning home again – INSUFFICIENT LOCATIONS.
I have been riding a bike with the app for almost 2 years, but what is happening is not acceptable.
The previous application was already fine and worked very well.I have a video on the page HELP
- https://my-smartbike.com/en/how-to-manage-my-activities -
and this does not correspond at all to what is applied in the app today.

la conficguracion del motor x20 ya funciona bien javier,desinstale y volvi a instalar la aplicacion, no se porque el otro dia no podia entrar en ese apartado, es en Android,gracias

So after a month I sat on the bike and again got an unpleasant surprise from the company.
Mahle in the form of a new application, already this year about " Fifth in order".
For God's sake, you can put a video somewhere on how to launch the app to record the ride.
Previously, there was START – today there is nothing there and how many times you need to press the button is no longer clear to me.
After returning home again – INSUFFICIENT LOCATIONS.
I have been riding a bike with the app for almost 2 years, but what is happening is not acceptable.
The previous application was already fine and worked very well.I have a video on the page HELP
- https://my-smartbike.com/en/how-to-manage-my-activities -
and this does not correspond at all to what is applied in the app today.
You have to press the central red button below 2 times to start recording and go a certain distance.

Back