Your experiences with the new Mahle MySmartBike app (replacement for Ebikemotion)

The veteran thanks Javier from the Czech Republic for his reactions to cyclists:
I only have internet at home and not on the road.
My Polar watch records the entire route and doesn't need an internet connection.
At home, I download everything to the PC and I have been able to do it so far with My Smartbike, which I consider unique the app.
Since I have an X35, I preferred to disable updates, if you are already focusing on the X20, I do not need anything more - all I need is track recording and % climb.
Do not worry we still working on X35, at the end it is the same app.
We will release a new version soon for Android that will fix many connection and re-connection issues. You should install it ;)

We will release a new version soon for Android that will fix many connection and re-connection issues. You should install it ;)
I remember how many problems and changes I saw before you got to the final version.
It would be good to describe somewhere what the next new version is about, maybe I don't even need it.
I have already driven 13.500 km and I still do not understand why I should reduce the engine power (% in Motor map).
I also go to the climb maximum, otherwise I do not need the engine and if I reduce the engine power, I have to change

the assistance to a higher degree (greater consumption), usually I rather change the pinions with a derailleur (2x11).
I ride almost every day (depending on the weather, by health and mood), I can drive even 100 km and at my age of 74 I am satisfied.

Finally, thank you „JaviGPZ“ for the perfect cooperation, maybe I will need you again sometime

Attachments

• 105 km.jpg
    105 km.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 104
Hi JaviGPZ, I'm new to the forum and I take this opportunity to say hello to the entire community.
I recently own a Scott Addict eride 10. I am very happy with the Mahle X20 bike/motor complex.
Unfortunately I have serious problems with the My Smartbike app. I find this application important despite the fact that it consumes too much smartphone battery. Why not separate the engine management aspect from data logging? However I have a big problem regarding the possibility of mapping the engine. When I save the parameters with the Custom (LAB) option, they are not stored. Often by setting in ECO, Urban or Sport, saving and returning, you get different settings. I tried uninstalling and installing the application again as well as using My Smartbike with different devices but nothing changes. The transmission of data from the engine is certainly reliable since it communicates perfectly with my Garmin Edge 1030. Should I hope for a new version update of My Smartbike? Because at the moment I am very disappointed, especially since I never have the certainty of the option of the type of assistance that is going on. For info: I use the app with a Samsung S21 smartphone, Android 13.
Greetings all,
Angel

I remember how many problems and changes I saw before you got to the final version.
It would be good to describe somewhere what the next new version is about, maybe I don't even need it.
I have already driven 13.500 km and I still do not understand why I should reduce the engine power (% in Motor map).
I also go to the climb maximum, otherwise I do not need the engine and if I reduce the engine power, I have to change

the assistance to a higher degree (greater consumption), usually I rather change the pinions with a derailleur (2x11).
I ride almost every day (depending on the weather, by health and mood), I can drive even 100 km and at my age of 74 I am satisfied.

Finally, thank you „JaviGPZ“ for the perfect cooperation, maybe I will need you again sometime
You are amazing. I hope to reach your age with the same energy 👍
I agree with you about the behavior of the motor maps. The system was designed on that way and it is something that we can not change from the mobile apps.
About the next update we will improve the connections on Android:
- Faster connection with ebike
- Fix a connection crash on Android 13
- Fix the reconnection with the ebike (if you shutdown the bike during a ride the next time that you turn on your bike the connection will happen automatically without open the app. Remember, only during the ride because the app still alive on background).

Thank you for your help

Hi JaviGPZ, I'm new to the forum and I take this opportunity to say hello to the entire community.
I recently own a Scott Addict eride 10. I am very happy with the Mahle X20 bike/motor complex.
Unfortunately I have serious problems with the My Smartbike app. I find this application important despite the fact that it consumes too much smartphone battery. Why not separate the engine management aspect from data logging? However I have a big problem regarding the possibility of mapping the engine. When I save the parameters with the Custom (LAB) option, they are not stored. Often by setting in ECO, Urban or Sport, saving and returning, you get different settings. I tried uninstalling and installing the application again as well as using My Smartbike with different devices but nothing changes. The transmission of data from the engine is certainly reliable since it communicates perfectly with my Garmin Edge 1030. Should I hope for a new version update of My Smartbike? Because at the moment I am very disappointed, especially since I never have the certainty of the option of the type of assistance that is going on. For info: I use the app with a Samsung S21 smartphone, Android 13.
Greetings all,
Angel
Hello Angel,
Are you using an Android device?
We discover an issue on Android on motor maps the previous week. We plan to release a fix soon, probably not this week (because this week we will release an update to fix connection issues as I answer to Veteran).
But soon we will release an update to fix this issue.
I am sorry for the inconvenience.
I hope you enjoy your new amazing ebike!

Best regards
Javier

You are amazing. I hope to reach your age with the same energy 👍
I agree with you about the behavior of the motor maps. The system was designed on that way and it is something that we can not change from the mobile apps.
About the next update we will improve the connections on Android:
- Faster connection with ebike
- Fix a connection crash on Android 13
- Fix the reconnection with the ebike (if you shutdown the bike during a ride the next time that you turn on your bike the connection will happen automatically without open the app. Remember, only during the ride because the app still alive on background).

Thank you for your help

Hello Angel,
Are you using an Android device?
We discover an issue on Android on motor maps the previous week. We plan to release a fix soon, probably not this week (because this week we will release an update to fix connection issues as I answer to Veteran).
But soon we will release an update to fix this issue.
I am sorry for the inconvenience.
I hope you enjoy your new amazing ebike!

Best regards
Javier
Thanks JaviGPZ, I look forward to the updates. It comforts me that your staff is working to improve the application. I feel like suggesting one thing, among the updates, it would be interesting to view in the application, in addition to the level of assistance, also the active mode (ECO, Urban, Sport or Custom). I confirm the satisfaction of the X20 bike-engine complex: exceptional! Thank you so much again.

Thanks JaviGPZ, I look forward to the updates. It comforts me that your staff is working to improve the application. I feel like suggesting one thing, among the updates, it would be interesting to view in the application, in addition to the level of assistance, also the active mode (ECO, Urban, Sport or Custom). I confirm the satisfaction of the X20 bike-engine complex: exceptional! Thank you so much again.
You are welcome ;)

You are welcome ;)
"Ang5" reads:
"... the fact that it consumes too much smartphone battery"
Today, out of curiosity, I did a test on how much the battery of my mobile "Cubot King Kong Mini 2" Android 10 will be lost,
1. I had the activated app in my pocket with the display off: 2:20, 60 km Battery drain -10%.
2. Today test app - display activated for the entire route, brightness 50%, 2:16, 60 km Battery took -37%
3. Today test app - display activated for the entire route, brightness 70%, in 60 min. app took -15%.

4 Today test app - display disabled for the entire route, brightness 70%, 2:20, app took -25%.

Application 2.0.4. works very well, reliably for all data that interests me (Motor maps do not interest me).
As I have stated elsewhere, I ride a lot of climbs and mostly to the maximum (not hiking) and I subordinate everything to the derailleur and the selected gears.
Therefore, I do not understand why reduce the % of help in Motor map - I have set Custom and everything to 100%.
Anyway, I ride routes up to 100 km and 4-5 hours on the bike is quite enough for me and the battery always comes out well.

Maybe I'll figure out that I made a mistake and something wrong. 😞

Attachments

• window.jpg
    window.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
For Veteran.
I'm also very interested in the data, but the engine map is important because it should allow me to adapt the engine itself to the physical possibilities and how many resources to spend. Otherwise I wouldn't buy myself an assisted bike. I also did some tests and I must say that the application works, but I never know what type of mapping I'm driving with: ECO, Urban, Sport or Custom...😂😂

I purchased my Bianchi e-rode bike in early 2020 and used the Ebikemotion app on my iPhone and when Mahle entered the picture the app was changed to MySmartBike. Both apps provided the limited functions I needed and had absolutely no problems linking iPhone to bike, motor maps and battery charge level. My firmware is out of date and am hesitant on getting it updated by my LBS. The limited functionality is fine by me. In the long term will my reliability degrade due to old firmware?

I purchased my Bianchi e-rode bike in early 2020 and used the Ebikemotion app on my iPhone and when Mahle entered the picture the app was changed to MySmartBike. Both apps provided the limited functions I needed and had absolutely no problems linking iPhone to bike, motor maps and battery charge level. My firmware is out of date and am hesitant on getting it updated by my LBS. The limited functionality is fine by me. In the long term will my reliability degrade due to old firmware?
My 1.5 years of experience says that if everything works for you to drive, be calm and do not update, nothing has changed for the X35 anyway.
I have already updated several times and I can say that everything worked well for me rather in the previous, penultimate version of the update.
After the last update, I'm struggling with the PulsarOne feature being affected, even though it was said that each product works using
a different protocol (I wrote about this elsewhere). I suppose everything will be resolved in time.

My 1.5 years of experience says that if everything works for you to drive, be calm and do not update, nothing has changed for the X35 anyway.
I have already updated several times and I can say that everything worked well for me rather in the previous, penultimate version of the update.
After the last update, I'm struggling with the PulsarOne feature being affected, even though it was said that each product works using
a different protocol (I wrote about this elsewhere). I suppose everything will be resolved in time.
Thanks, you confirmed by thinking, if it isn’t broke don’t fix it.

Thanks, you confirmed by thinking, if it isn’t broke don’t fix it.
Probably so, you can update, the application is very good -
but I do not use the app to change help 1+2+3 (ihave it in my pocket running) but I have PulsarOne.
I use the app only at home to download to my PC and follow the route.

The season hasn't started yet, so I was tempted by a new update 2.0.5🤨.
All driving records are available, from this point of view everything works perfectly for me.
Today I noticed the footage >Weather< - impeccable.
„Last version 2.0.5, fixed a problem with saving Engine Map settings.“
1. A similar problem from the last update but is repeats again🤕:
I set >Eco< in the app and after a short while >Tour< starts and after a short time it returns to >Eco< again – it repeats several spontaneously times in a row.
The same when used together with PulsarOne, (although it has been said elsewhere that they have a different protocol).
The PulsarOne itself works fine, but when the app is used in parallel – for example: on the PulsarOne I will set >Tour<, it will pass arbitrarily to the Eco setting that is is set setting in the app.
In summary: Unreliable adherence (entered) to the engine assistance settings. Inconsistency (not unified) the PulsarOne with app or vice versa.

2. Today I ran a test with only activated application without PulsarOne:
Straight path - I go to >You< after about 10 sec spontaneously sets to >Eco<(Level 1) and after 10 sec spontaneously sets to >Tour<(Level 2).
I return to >You< but after a while again >Turbo<(Level 3) while driving at a speed of 34 km/h. This repeats itself spontaneously
and so after 20 minutes I turn off the application and today I only go to PulsarOne.
In summary: The level is constantly changing arbitrarily without my intervention.

Maybe a silly question: couldn't the update be rolled back to a previous version (make a backup of a previous version)?
For Windows, there is an option to use a Restore Point or for Win 11 OS, there is an option to roll back to Win10 within 10 days.
I feel as if the problems are only in my case, but the reality is this.
(I would almost think I have a bad mobil, but after experiencing the app after a year and a half, I know that you are still working on the app).

Attachments

• 3.3.2023.jpg
    3.3.2023.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
You are welcome ;)

You are welcome ;)
Hi JaviGPZ, with the latest update of MySmartBike I solved the problems of setting and storing the engine map with Android smartphones.
But given my curiosity about the level of help that the engine delivers and to better understand battery consumption, I did some tests in some races, using the ECO mode. I stored the data with the app. MySmartBike. With the help of the graphs, readable on the site, and interpreting the data that can be exported from the .json type files, I verified the power supplied in assistance at levels 1,2 and 3 (with factory settings, respectively at 38% , 57% and 76%). Well I found that the assistance values in Watts were precisely 38%, 57% and 76% of the maximum peak of 250 Watts (example: level 1 actually provided me with around 95W which corresponds to 38% of 250W).
I don't understand why both Mahle and some users assert that the values at 100% of the assistance levels correspond to values limited to levels 1, 2 and 3 respectively, such as for example 40%, 70% and 100% which, as AntonioAlfaro writes, correspond at 100W, 175W and 250W max (see post from Mar 19, 2022)? So according to this theory if in CUSTOM level 1 mode, I insert 50% in theory I should receive assistance for 50W of 100W. I'm going crazy for this thing, because in a mathematical logic what's the point of setting percentage values of another percentage? Also because, among other things, from what I have observed, the power supplied coincides perfectly with the mathematical one referred to the maximum peak value.
If you could explain better how things are (surely I'm wrong in interpreting) you would do me a very welcome thing. Thank you.

Hi JaviGPZ, with the latest update of MySmartBike I solved the problems of setting and storing the engine map with Android smartphones.
But given my curiosity about the level of help that the engine delivers and to better understand battery consumption, I did some tests in some races, using the ECO mode. I stored the data with the app. MySmartBike. With the help of the graphs, readable on the site, and interpreting the data that can be exported from the .json type files, I verified the power supplied in assistance at levels 1,2 and 3 (with factory settings, respectively at 38% , 57% and 76%). Well I found that the assistance values in Watts were precisely 38%, 57% and 76% of the maximum peak of 250 Watts (example: level 1 actually provided me with around 95W which corresponds to 38% of 250W).
I don't understand why both Mahle and some users assert that the values at 100% of the assistance levels correspond to values limited to levels 1, 2 and 3 respectively, such as for example 40%, 70% and 100% which, as AntonioAlfaro writes, correspond at 100W, 175W and 250W max (see post from Mar 19, 2022)? So according to this theory if in CUSTOM level 1 mode, I insert 50% in theory I should receive assistance for 50W of 100W. I'm going crazy for this thing, because in a mathematical logic what's the point of setting percentage values of another percentage? Also because, among other things, from what I have observed, the power supplied coincides perfectly with the mathematical one referred to the maximum peak value.
If you could explain better how things are (surely I'm wrong in interpreting) you would do me a very welcome thing. Thank you.
Hello Ang5,
From the manual "Blue Paper Gain Hydro 2021" I have captured an image to better understand the assistance levels (photo attached).
As you can see, there is a maximum power that the Mahle system can deliver at each level of assistance. But we also have the flexibility to reduce that maximum by mapping a %. That is, from 100% of each level, we can assign a lower percentage if we wish.
Example:
30% of the L1 level corresponds to 30W.
30% of the L2 level corresponds to 52.5W
30% of the L3 level corresponds to 75W.

The possibility of mapping our own assistance levels gives us the flexibility to deviate from the preset levels and adjust them to our physical conditions, terrain, type of routes, duration, etc.

Attachments

• 2023-03-06 14_32_03-Window.png
    2023-03-06 14_32_03-Window.png
    101.3 KB · Views: 117
Hello Ang5,
From the manual "Blue Paper Gain Hydro 2021" I have captured an image to better understand the assistance levels (photo attached).
As you can see, there is a maximum power that the Mahle system can deliver at each level of assistance. But we also have the flexibility to reduce that maximum by mapping a %. That is, from 100% of each level, we can assign a lower percentage if we wish.
Example:
30% of the L1 level corresponds to 30W.
30% of the L2 level corresponds to 52.5W
30% of the L3 level corresponds to 75W.

The possibility of mapping our own assistance levels gives us the flexibility to deviate from the preset levels and adjust them to our physical conditions, terrain, type of routes, duration, etc.
hello Antonio Alfano. You are referring to an Orbea Gain with a Mahle x35 engine, I have read the relative manual and this indicates the operation for that type of engine and its application. In my previous post I didn't specify that I own a Scott Addict eRide 10 with Mahle x20 engine. The application that manages the engine maps allows me to choose the ECO option which has pre-set values: L1=38%, L2=57% and L3=76%. Well, during a test I ascertained that at L1 the assistance corresponded to 95W which is exactly 38% of 250W and not 38% of 100W; therefore for L1 there would be no limitations as well as L2. I ran the same test with the LAB (custom) option and the results are the same. Unlike Orbea, Scott probably programs the engine maps differently. Or I, in the absence of a valid user manual, did not understand the operation. Thanks for your valid suggestions.

hello Antonio Alfano. You are referring to an Orbea Gain with a Mahle x35 engine, I have read the relative manual and this indicates the operation for that type of engine and its application. In my previous post I didn't specify that I own a Scott Addict eRide 10 with Mahle x20 engine. The application that manages the engine maps allows me to choose the ECO option which has pre-set values: L1=38%, L2=57% and L3=76%. Well, during a test I ascertained that at L1 the assistance corresponded to 95W which is exactly 38% of 250W and not 38% of 100W; therefore for L1 there would be no limitations as well as L2. I ran the same test with the LAB (custom) option and the results are the same. Unlike Orbea, Scott probably programs the engine maps differently. Or I, in the absence of a valid user manual, did not understand the operation. Thanks for your valid suggestions.
Hello Ang5
The result you are reporting is interesting.
Thinking a little about the fact that each assistance level varies in the range of 0 to 250W would make it easier for the user to customize their assistance levels.
An interesting test that you could carry out would be to personalize the 3 levels of assistance to the same value (for example L1=L2=L3=30%) and ride a same 100m route with each level and feel your level of effort.

Hello Ang5
The result you are reporting is interesting.
Thinking a little about the fact that each assistance level varies in the range of 0 to 250W would make it easier for the user to customize their assistance levels.
An interesting test that you could carry out would be to personalize the 3 levels of assistance to the same value (for example L1=L2=L3=30%) and ride a same 100m route with each level and feel your level of effort.
Hi AntonioAlfaro,
Thanks for the advice. As soon as I can I will do this type of test.

Hello Antonio,

Thank you for your feedback. We are hiring people on the software team to continue adding more and more functionalities so the idea it is improve the app to be the best on the market ;)

About your idea, there is way to do it right now but you need a Heart Rate band. The "Auto HR" option on monitor (or on Settings), activate the automatically Level of your bike using your current bpm (beats per minute).
The idea it is that on Settings set a maximum bpm and the bike will increase the assitance level automatically trying to not pass that limit.
If you want to have more assistance you just need to decrease your maximum bpm.

Best Regards
Oh, I see... that is very interesting and I have a conversation pending about this. Because the HR also works "late".
Use the slope it is the solution, the problem here is how to get the slope of the road. The GPS it is not very exact, so use the location to get the slope it is not a good idea. Other possibility is use the mobile sensor, but it will need a calibration (put the device on the handlebar and then on a flat road calibrate it as 0º). Also X20 have slope sensors.
In my opinion the calibration is the best solution for X35 and X20 but it will no work if you have your phone on a pocket or on backpack.
We have to think about it ;)

Best Regards
Hi JaviGPZ, when I use HR sensor if I need L3 on slope I have to put max HR too low that cause L1 to come in too quickly, the slope sensor seem to be a good idea since my iPhone have one and is fix on the handlebars, or maybe a minimum HR adjustement would be nice too, example L1 come in at 110 HR (minimum HR), L3 at 125 (maximum HR), and L2 somewhere in between. In case of heavy front wind I think Auto HR option is better than slope sensor.

Last edited:
MySmartBike app on my iPhone is very reliable; I’m challenged however on how to delete prior rides saved on My activities. How do you delete or unsave prior rides?

Last edited:
Back