What's You're Plan For Major Breakdown?

Fooferdoggie is in a league of his own
No electric car or ice. But he gets around
Hey I feel like I got run over. these three vaccines are kicking my butt. the third day is worse then the last two. could not even leave the house way too tried.

They say it's made in Colorado USA

My Crank Brothers multi-tool arrived today,..

20230206_103228.jpg20230206_103042.jpg

Now to try and break some chains ⛓,..

I managed to crank my Crank Brothers tool to 30 ft/lbs.

20230206_185943.jpg

I quit buying Craftsman tools when Sears decided ****ese tools were good enough. Sears is closed now.

My Sears Craftsman 8 mm socket and adapter from ~1980.

20230206_185500.jpg

Ouch. 😂

20230206_190032.jpg20230206_190133.jpg

There's just something about a brand new tool though.

I feel like a kid on Christmas day. 😂

I think that I got the Craftsman socket set for Christmas?

I'm sure that I'll get 40 years of service out of it too.
(not that I've got 40 years left. 😂)

Duhh,..
I didn't think of using the hand protector,..

20230206_194021.jpg

I was trying to use it as a flask, but it leaks. 😂

I know it works well on the Shimano twelve speeds. Some of the others won't do them. It doesn't take some effort to crank the pin out though your hand might not like it because the leverage isn't there, but the tool can handle it.

I'll use it to remove the "master pin" and the regular mushroomed pin to the left to get a feel for what it's like.

20230207_124753.jpg

Then I'll install the KMC Missing Link.

20230207_125421.jpg

Then I shouldn't need to use the chain breaker except for emergencies while I'm riding.

Now it's a matter of finding out if my crappy $4 chain breaker pliers will work?

Screenshot_20230207-130526_AliExpress.jpg

Actually, looking at them now, it looks like it's for installing a link, not removing one.
It's geared the wrong way.
I'd have to use both hands and pull the handles apart.

I won't have a problem installing a new link.
I'd just line up the link then step on the pedal to pull the chain and set the link.

I need to buy another chain pliers, or take my grinder to my needle nose pliers to make it fit in the link.

I'll see how the two handed approach works when the tool arrives but I don't want to practice too much on my single Missing Link.
It's only good for 3-4 uses.

Practicing on my crappy quick links won't give me a good indication of how much force the proper Missing Link will need.

Screenshot_20230207-133635_AliExpress.jpg

Last edited:
I also found out that I need to add a couple of more tools for this bike,
a GOOD chain breaker pliers, for the quick links, along with a chain holder wire,
it took me over 2 hrs to get the quick links off the OEM chain,..

After reading this I decided to make a quick link removal pliers.

20230208_082154.jpg20230208_112322.jpg20230208_112141.jpg

I don't know if such a tool is available?

I've got one of these coming, but it's for spreading a quick link open to lock it.

Screenshot_20230207-170151_AliExpress.jpg

Park Tool makes the MLP (master link pliers). They are primarily useful for opening master links but can be used for opening and closing. For closing a master link easily, put it together on the top of the chain (between cassette and chainring), and snap it shut by standing on the pedals.

I've never had a need to carry them on the bike though, they are for convenience in the shop. I've always been able to pop them open by hand when necessary. Closing can be harder (especially a new one) but the pedal trick works nicely for that.

Park Tool makes the MLP (master link pliers). They are primarily useful for opening master links but can be used for opening and closing. For closing a master link easily, put it together on the top of the chain (between cassette and chainring), and snap it shut by standing on the pedals.

I've never had a need to carry them on the bike though, they are for convenience in the shop. I've always been able to pop them open by hand when necessary. Closing can be harder (especially a new one) but the pedal trick works nicely for that.
they used to be easier or I used to be younger not sure what one is valid.

they used to be easier or I used to be younger not sure what one is valid.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about.

I don't want to be stuck trying to open a quick link. I've never actually done it yet. I don't know what I'm in for?

After reading this I decided to make a quick link removal pliers.

View attachment 146657View attachment 146658View attachment 146659

I don't know if such a tool is available?

I've got one of these coming, but it's for spreading a quick link open to lock it.

View attachment 146660
Shimano makes the TL-CN10 that is made for both opening and closing quick links. I thought Park did 2? You can use Park's MLP-1.2 as was said. It feels a little off to lock them because you're pulling the pliers apart to lock them but works fine.

I even made (I thought) chain pliers out of an old needle nose pliers,
used the mill and cut notches on the nose of the pliers, (DIDN'T work) etc.

I have a good chain pliers coming along with a 8mm open end wrench for the adjustment bolt.

I found that the OEM chain pliers open and close the quick links, the problem I had with unlocking the OEM KMC #9 SP chain quick links is I couldn't hold the chain in the correct position to pinch the end links together, to unlock the links, kept slipping etc.
Tia,
Don

The locking of the quick links is no problem,
I just install the chain and motor tension lock the link, when pedaling.

I even made (I thought) chain pliers out of an old needle nose pliers,
used the mill and cut notches on the nose of the pliers, (DIDN'T work) etc.

I have a good chain pliers coming along with a 8mm open end wrench for the adjustment bolt.

I found that the OEM chain pliers open and close the quick links, the problem I had with unlocking the OEM KMC #9 SP chain quick links is I couldn't hold the chain in the correct position to pinch the end links together, to unlock the links, kept slipping etc.
Tia,
Don
That's where using clutch level on bike that have them or the lock pin on Srams come in handy and a little piece of wire to hold the two halfs of chain together with slack come in handy. I sure some one could link a youtube video on here to show how that works.

Back