What's You're Plan For Major Breakdown?

Well at least I'm prepared now even if it's for something that will never happen to me?

Chain breaks do happen, so its not unreasonable to be prepared for it. Carrying a multitool with a chain tool on it and a spare link is no major hardship, in any case.

I do intend to remove my chain periodically to clean it and give it another hot wax treatment.
At least my chain pliers is a squeezer not a spreader.
It does make it easier.

Pretty much every manufacturer says not to reuse quick links too many times, but IME you'll wear the chain out before you hit the point where it causes problems unless you remove the chain every ride or something. I've definitely used some of mine dozens of times over thousands of miles and never had a problem.

Because, I figured out that I can't use all the gear in this emergency situation,
so I pick every other gear, starting from the largest to smallest etc.

If you use the chain tensioner you should be able to set the chain on quite a few sprockets depending on how much slop the tensioner can take up.
You shouldn't have to choose every second sprocket.

If you use the chain tensioner you shouldn't have to mess with the rear adjustment plate.
It will just be a matter of installing the tensioner.

Yes that is correct, the headache is it seems that the extra chain always lands
on a thick tooth and I have to move the chain (creates slop) to get the chain
to fit properly on the front gear.

If you are making a single chain for a single gear on the back, and not using the chain tensioner, you should be able to slide the rear adjustment plate forward until the chain links line up to where they need to be.

It does not make any difference if the rear adjustment plate is moved forward
or all the way to the back, when adjusting/using the best option for whatever
of the 4 gear I'll be using.
This adjuster plate only has about 3/4'-1" of total movement for adjusting.

If your adjustment plate moves forward ¾"-1" you should be able to get the chain to shorten by 1½"-2"

Your bikes adjustment plate is probably designed with enough movement to get a one speed chain to fit snuggly on any gear.

Instead of making the chain a bit longer to get the teeth to line up, you should be able to make the chain a bit shorter by sliding the adjustment plate forward until the chain links line up.

I have tried every combo I can think of, and sliding the rear plate forward or backward doesn't make a difference.

If your rear axle and cluster moves along with the adjustment plate towards the front chain ring, you should be able to make your chain 1½"-2" shorter.
I can't see how moving your axle forward doesn't make a difference?

PC
The length difference of the thick/thin links is as follows,
thin link measure .790" long, outside end to the other end,
the thick link also measures the same distance.
Measuring a thick and thin link is 1.300" long.

The 15T gear fits 116 links and has about an inch of slop etc.
This is the only gear that fits that I maybe can use without the use of a chain tensioner, all the rest of the gears, I'll need a chain tensioner to control the slop.

I have been double checking to make sure of the distance measuring via moving the rear adjustment plate forward and backward.
Regardless which way I move/adjust the chain to fit the thick/thin pockets of the 44T gear I have have about one half of a chain link to tight and have to move the chain back one half of a link (Longer) to fit the front gear properly..

I am waiting on the chain tensioner to get here from across the pond,
which is to be here around the middle of March.
This chain tensioner is a double action, it lifts and or pushes the chain down ,
depending on which spring is used.

I'll continue to adjust this chain options while I wait for the chain tensioner,
I have an Idea to test out.
Tia,
Don

You can get 8" Klein diagonal cutters made in Mansfield TX in the electrical aisle of Home Depot.

I took your name brand advice and bought myself a Klein wire strippers.

Screenshot_20230214-152602_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The Knipex version was $92

I went with the manual version with the bigger nose for twisting wire.
It's also got a wire cutter and 2 sizes of screw cutters (for electrical boxes)

Screenshot_20230214-154957_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The biggest complaint about it is that it doesn't have a lock, and a couple guys damaged their cutters (Knipex too), but they were cutting steel wire and Armoured cable.

I went with the manual version with the bigger nose for twisting wire.
It's also got a wire cutter and 2 sizes of screw cutters (for electrical boxes)

View attachment 147017

The biggest complaint about it is that it doesn't have a lock, and a couple guys damaged their cutters (Knipex too), but they were cutting steel wire and Armoured cable.
but its cool. I dont use it for bike stuff.

I've got a crappy version of that.
It works OK for solid wire but it rips stranded wire.

20230214_155134.jpg

It is really quick and easy though.

Ok Guys

This chain tensioner finally got here, very HD in the material and design,
fits the WH bottom square chain stays. This tensioner also has a tilt/angle feature, and the idler wheel pulls up when taking up the slack, which is what I wanted,
to keep the chain up higher out of the brush/rocks.

I just did a quickie try fit and it appears that I may need to extend/lengthen the idler wheel axle that carry's the chain, as It doesn't appear to have enough reach to cover the gear ratio's (26T & 34T), I want to use 15T, 20T, 26T 34T, while providing a good straight chain line.

I'll spend this weekend moving the chain thru these 4 selections and moving the axle block forward and backward, attempting to get the best chain length, along with the straightest chain line possible.

I think, I can leave the main tensioner base in place (once I find the correct spot),
and just move the idler wheel axle up closer to the frame. The width of the idler wheel is wide enough to fit 2 gear selections, so less fitting makes it easier, and having the main base there provides more protection for the derailleur/rear gear sprockets.

Tia,
Don

After reading this I decided to make a quick link removal pliers.

View attachment 146657View attachment 146658View attachment 146659

I don't know if such a tool is available?

I've got one of these coming, but it's for spreading a quick link open to lock it.

View attachment 146660

My chain breaker arrived a couple of days ago. (It was lost in the mail for a month. lol)

20230324_023549.jpg
20230324_024204.jpg

I didn't realize how small it was in comparison.
I managed to easily remove/compress the link by using my thumbs to pull on the handles.
I think maybe the link loosened up after putting a few miles on the chain?

I'm going to put the new one in my tool kit. It's smaller, lighter, and works fine to remove a master link.
And I can clip my spare master links to the handle.

PC
Those type of chain pliers work very well, as I found out, testing mine..........LoL
Mine is in the tool bag on the bike.
Tia,
Don

PC
Those type of chain pliers work very well, as I found out, testing mine..........LoL
Mine is in the tool bag on the bike.
Tia,
Don
Yeah, I thought it would be difficult to pull the handles apart to compress the link, but the tool kinda "clips" into the chain and it's easy to pull the handles apart with my thumbs.

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but here it is. AAA will now tow your ebike. I have AAA with up to 150 miles of tow, so that is good news in case Im up in the mountains or at the beach.

Not sure if this has been posted or not, but here it is. AAA will now tow your ebike. I have AAA with up to 150 miles of tow, so that is good news in case Im up in the mountains or at the beach.

I have AAA as well. They will transport e-bikes but there are limits. Although their plan is great for roadies, most AAA sponsored towing agencies won't go out into the boondocks to fetch a stranded biker. Don't expect to be rescued if you're out on a remote trail somewhere or even on a rural dirt road.

Obviously, you also need cell service to call AAA in the first place.

If you're a trail rider, it's always a good idea to know the location of the nearest paved road. I always carry a GPS for this purpose. As an added layer of protection, my GPS is equipped with Garmin Inreach, a satellite based texting service with near global coverage:

I wouldn't use it for something minor like a flat but it's good protection for a serious injury.

Back