What's You're Plan For Major Breakdown?

Firstly, carry a spare hanger because they are supposed to snap before the derailiuer . When they don't , you will need to lock out the rear suspension to continue riding whith that shortened chain.

Last month I was halfway through a 60 km remote mtb track and came across a guy doing the single speed of shame . His " mates" were on ebikes but he was human powered - I couldn't belueve they hadn't offered him their derailiuers ! He made it through - surprisingly well. Walk the tough bits, ride the rest.
You mean single speed of determination!💪

I use lined Schwalbe Big Ben's. 3 years no flats. I see no reason to spend time to fix a flat when a small compressor and Slime will take me in. I don't fix tubes. Just replace if need be. The electronics is the real problem to worry about imo. There is no amount of prep work you can do to predict when it will fail. Like I said, my battery was just 6 months old when it died. Fully charged but quit, miles from home.
There is always a possibility of a flat which requires changing that a small compressor and slime won't get you home. Not that having those thing doesn't help reduce the chance of having to do that . By the way I don't fix tubes myself much just put them in to get home if sealant or plugs don't work.

you down see too many people talk about taking care of a gash in your tire. saw a guy get one in his road bike from a razor blade. you need something to line your tire with too. now that I am changing to tubeless. I have co2 a pump and the best plug kit plus a tube.

There is always a possibility of a flat which requires changing that a small compressor and slime won't get you home. Not that having those thing doesn't help reduce the chance of having to do that . By the way I don't fix tubes myself much just put them in to get home if sealant or plugs don't work.
Slime or a tubeless system will reduce the frequency of flats which require serious repairs but won't eliminate them. You should always carry a plug kit, a tire boot, a spare tube, and some shoe goo, and possibly a heavy needle and thread if you run tubeless.

Slime or a tubeless system will reduce the frequency of flats which require serious repairs but won't eliminate them. You should always carry a plug kit, a tire boot, a spare tube, and some shoe goo, and possibly a heavy needle and thread if you run tubeless.
well said

I strongly suggest looking at hacks you can do to get yourself home like zip tying your cassette to your spokes. Which reminds me I probably should through some zip ties in my bag.
Nomad
If I can ask a question,
Why would I want to zip tie my cassette to the spokes,
if I have a loose chain on the gears?

Here are the spec's for the WH bike:

I am slightly confused now..........?
Tia,
Don

Firstly, carry a spare hanger because they are supposed to snap before the derailiuer . When they don't , you will need to lock out the rear suspension to continue riding whith that shortened chain.

Last month I was halfway through a 60 km remote mtb track and came across a guy doing the single speed of shame . His " mates" were on ebikes but he was human powered - I couldn't belueve they hadn't offered him their derailiuers ! He made it through - surprisingly well. Walk the tough bits, ride the rest.
P Doz
Thanks for the information, I'll try to find a spare hanger, (which I don't what that is),
I am thinking that it is the spoked wheel the chain runs on?
I have only had this bike over 1 yr and really know nothing about e bikes etc.

My bike does NOT have any rear suspension,
it is my hunting bike for packing out game quarters and scouting with.
Why would you lock out the rear suspension?
Here is the spec's for my bike:
Tia,
Don

Yes, I do have a backup plan but any rescue options (which do not include AAA) are far down the list.
it's all we have if I cant fix the bike. a tandem is a beast to deal with thats why we named it the beast. a crash took us out once. and once I forgot to put the smaller tubes in my bag so had no spare tubes and the sealant did not plug the hole. friend grabbed a tube from my shop we were only 4 miles away but it was a shredder valve. well I was pumping it up and the tire sealed. went 1/2 a mile and the sealant failed. my daughter brought us a tube but I goofed it up installing it. I could not not finds the phone to call for the tow service I had from veloinsurance. so we walked the 2 miles home. sometimes everything fails.

AAA, call my Gf or kids or use my Ulock and cable to secure the bike until I can return with my car and rack. If the banditos get it, they get it...

Just wondering what others plan to do when the motor dies 20 miles from home. Mine did two years ago. Peddling that was brutal over hills. I'm getting a second battery for the rear rack. More weight but less stress. AAA has bike towing available but you need to be on a street.
Just joined the forum today and if mine broke down I would call my son in law, haha, he is a great person and only lives less than a mile away. My bike is an Addmotor m66r7 and only 1 week old so I hope it doesn't break down for a long long time.

you down see too many people talk about taking care of a gash in your tire. saw a guy get one in his road bike from a razor blade. you need something to line your tire with too. now that I am changing to tubeless. I have co2 a pump and the best plug kit plus a tube.
Don't forget a tire boot. I have a 3-pack of them in every bike's tool kit. Not because I need 3 but because they are in a sealed retail pak of 3 and survive forever if left inside until needed. I have duct taped a tire to the rim to get home - not fun but it worked. Duct tape is not something I carry along though.

Generally speaking, I keep enough tools in my kit to handle road emergencies I have encountered over the years. So that includes a spare chain. A chainbreaker. tube patches. A spare tube in case the tube is really fubar'd. I have seen some DIY ebikers bringing along an entire electrical survival kit which I think is ridiculous. Better to learn how to make reliable connections in the first place so you can do without the wire strippers and crimpers and connectors in your kit.

For an mtb that gets singletrack duty, a derailleur hanger tossed into the tool bag can be worth its weight in gold. A spare hanger is the first thing I buy if I get a bike with a replaceable one. You can never guarantee they'll be available years from now.

Beyond that, its about buying quality parts that don't break in the first place, and maintaining them. This cranks up the bike price, but a bicycle that reliably gets 12,000 miles a year is not any kind of new thing. If you want reliability, you can, by and large, buy it.

Nomad
If I can ask a question,
Why would I want to zip tie my cassette to the spokes,
if I have a loose chain on the gears?

Here are the spec's for the WH bike:

I am slightly confused now..........?
Tia,
Don
If your freehub fails (doesn't engage) then you can zip tie the cassette threw 1st gear to the spokes to limp home you just loose 1st gear and have to take easy on the cranks. I wasn't talking about a loose chain. I was referring to hacks you can use when you find yourself stranded on your bike to get home:). Hope that clears it up some.

it's all we have if I cant fix the bike. a tandem is a beast to deal with thats why we named it the beast. a crash took us out once. and once I forgot to put the smaller tubes in my bag so had no spare tubes and the sealant did not plug the hole. friend grabbed a tube from my shop we were only 4 miles away but it was a shredder valve. well I was pumping it up and the tire sealed. went 1/2 a mile and the sealant failed. my daughter brought us a tube but I goofed it up installing it. I could not not finds the phone to call for the tow service I had from veloinsurance. so we walked the 2 miles home. sometimes everything fails.
But...... why didn't you have a spare bike in your back pocket???

Nomad
Thank you,
That does help me, I'll look up that option and add zip ties to the tool box on the bike, I have never heard of that information.
Tia,
Don

Just wondering what others plan to do when the motor dies 20 miles from home. Mine did two years ago. Peddling that was brutal over hills. I'm getting a second battery for the rear rack. More weight but less stress. AAA has bike towing available but you need to be on a street.
Bike TOWING? Wow, I can picture that. Sounds like fun.

P Doz
Thanks for the information, I'll try to find a spare hanger, (which I don't what that is),
I am thinking that it is the spoked wheel the chain runs on?
I have only had this bike over 1 yr and really know nothing about e bikes etc.

My bike does NOT have any rear suspension,
it is my hunting bike for packing out game quarters and scouting with.
Why would you lock out the rear suspension?
Here is the spec's for my bike:
Tia,
Don

The derailleur hanger is the metal bracket between the frame and the derailleur itself . It's supposed to be a sacrificial part designed to bend / snap before an expensive frame or derailleur is damaged. Naturally there are hundreds of different versions so you pretty much have to buy one from the bikes manufacturer ( or spend a lot of time trawling online looking for a $10 part ) . Buying two will mean you never bend one and always enjoy clean shifting ( or they won't fit)

Warning, carrying a spare will enact murphys law so something else will break instead - so once you have packed the spare derailleur , cable repair kit, chain quick links and suitable toolkit, be prepared for the bag to be torn / stolen / have a seized zipper or left at home

In your case, I'm not sure they built that hanger to protect anything

FA08E683-919C-4D31-ACCC-27D89EB14A23.jpeg

Am I correct your whole back wheel is held in place on an adjustable plate? I guess you can use that to take up slack when running as a single speed....but WTF were they thinking?

Last edited:
Bike TOWING? Wow, I can picture that. Sounds like fun.

I used to have a retractable tow line on my seat post for towing the kids ( mtb riding, so I'd tow them up hill, they'd leave me for dead down hill) . I left it off the levo sl because it doesn't have enough grunt to tow with.

It was the trax mtb https://traxbike.com/. Not perfect - I had to replace the line with some dynema after a couple of years, and it takes a fair bit of skill / cooperation to negotiate technical trails with it....great for bonding between parents and children.....

Back