What's the Funniest critter you've Ever been chased by while on a ride ? ?

Ian Moone

On a trip through the park today, and Met a Goose who doesn't seem to like Ebikes !! A Couple on their road bikes were going the other way said "He's probably going to Chase you ." Before I knew What they were talking about, Here's this 3 foot high Goose Staring me down and Blocking the trail !! The couple watching asked, Do you have any Snacks ? Wow, I did have some Popcorn ... Threw the popcorn in the grass and he Moved !! I took off but Not before I got three Loud Honks from him !! ?

On a trip through the park today, and Met a Goose who doesn't seem to like Ebikes !! A Couple on their road bikes were going the other way said "He's probably going to Chase you ." Before I knew What they were talking about, Here's this 3 foot high Goose Staring me down and Blocking the trail !! The couple watching asked, Do you have any Snacks ? Wow, I did have some Popcorn ... Threw the popcorn in the grass and he Moved !! I took off but Not before I got three Loud Honks from him !! ?
Geese are very territorial, this time of year in particular as they nest in the grass. Any grass, anywhere. We had geese for eggs and roasting, when I was growing up. They can be very mean and do bite for self preservation reasons. There is actually a domestic type of goose called Guard Goose.

Hopefully he didn't succeed ?! ?
No but i was walking the bike at the time, grabbed a small 2 foot foldable chair i had in a basket and said lets dance, it didn't back down, i closed my eyes and kept walking, he gave up.
Don't know if anyone else has run into this but dogs seem to have a thing with bikers, at least around here

No but i was walking the bike at the time, grabbed a small 2 foot foldable chair i had in a basket and said lets dance, it didn't back down, i closed my eyes and kept walking, he gave up.
Don't know if anyone else has run into this but dogs seem to have a thing with bikers, at least around here

Postman and cyclists, dogs just love us.

Dont know if this works on Ostriches ?
1557877923906.png

Great story! after years around wild geese, ducks and other birds when they bob their heads up and down they are challenging you, bob back, they will back off. If they don't bob just do it, they will back off from the challenge.

what I used to do on my acoustic road bike when on a country road with a dog who chases and catches up to me is stop and get off the bike and use it as a shield. It buys time until the owner comes along and calls it off. BUT this strategy would likely not work with my ebike since I am too old and feeble to lift it and pivot quickly.

Last edited:
what I used to do on my acoustic road bike when on a country road with a dog who chases and catches up to me is stop and get off the bike and use it as a shield. It buys time until the owner comes along and calls it off.
I yelled to the owner repeatedly, no response. Deal with the consequences. going by all the time, next time i'm prepared, bet i don't see it again.

I yelled to the owner repeatedly, no response. Deal with the consequences. going by all the time, next time i'm prepared, bet i don't see it again.
I got a nasty bite on my thigh from a Rottweiler.....very painfull for weeks and I had to get a shot from the Doctor. He ran up behind me and I never saw him coming until I felt the searing pain on my leg. No time to pepperspray. Thank the gods he decided I was not tasty and let go. Of course the owners said the usual " He has never done that before "....grrrrrr

I got a nasty bite on my thigh from a Rottweiler.....very painfull for weeks and I had to get a shot from the Doctor. He ran up behind me and I never saw him coming. No time to pepperspray. Of course the owners said the usual " He has never done that before "....grrrrrr
So what! i had one of those migit dogs chase me and nip at my heel. OK you rule. hope it didn't deter your bike riding Steve. Things like that tends to throw you off track, always looking over your shoulder.
PS i actually worked with a Steve Mercier from Newfoundland Canada.

On a quite E-Bike Ian it's just not one thing, at least in my off-road world, it's all the amazing critters that pass in front of me, but to pick one is stopping to let deer pass, their tails are down, their not afraid of me.

Back