My ETrike, Heart, Dog, Me, And Community

Earl1946

Region
USA
I am 76 years old. I bought a basically brand new Miami Sun Trike for $200 about five years ago. My left side is substantially paralyzed, but my left hand will grasp, and I can peddle. I had no idea where I was going with that trike. The trike had a three speed hub on it. I put a five speed hub on it. I peddled my butt off with little result for four years. Then I had a heart attack. No big deal. The VA put a stent in one aorta and told me to keep moving. Three days after surgery, I was peddling. I got an Australian Cattle Dog that I slowly trained trot along side me. This was not planned. As he matured I extended our distances. Eventually he earned the right to run with commands off leash. The little turd could easily out run me. Last fall, My legs just were no longer able to do what I wanted, so I put a front wheel kit on the trike. I ordered a 1200 watt hub with 52 volt 19.2 amp hour battery. My grandson helped install it. Actually, he installed it. I just "supervised". For whatever that was worth. WOW! I felt like I had put a big block V/8 in a model T just to go to the grocery store! I figured the computer out an set the speed max at 25 mph. I weigh 170 pounds so it turns out to be about 20 mph. Initially that trike was scary. The torque....WOW! I will never know how fast that trike can go, because even with the new 5 speed hub I installed the pedals are useless somewhere around 12 mph, and the trike begins feeling like something really bad can happen. My dog has hit 18 mph, and that is as fast as I want to go. Fortunately, he is more of a sprinter than a distance runner. It is 3 miles around my town. Then there is highway with wide bike paths in 4 directions. We have done 5 and 6 miles. The trike will do 25-35 miles of stop and go, and messing around in town before It gets down to 20%, so I only have to charge it a max of once a week. We have had an easy winter so we go out 2-4 times a week; a couple times 5 days. Since early last spring I have not had a serious mishap. Until Sunday! Nails and I were easing along at about 6-8 mph. There is a short one block strip on main street where the bike path narrows and there is less than a foot to the beginning of a steep taper into a 4 foot ditch. We normally stop at the intersection, and I check for cars coming behind us. There were none, so we accelerated to get through that bad spot and turn into the driveway of a convenience store. Somehow, while watching my dog and looking into my mirror, my right rear wheel dropped over the edge of the pavement, and I could feel that there was no coming back from that. I instinctively knew to steer into the ditch to minimize damage, looking to see that I didn't run over Nails. Nails has razor sharp reactions and keys on the front wheel. Rode into that ditch on my terms, rather than the terms of gravity. Yeah! Slammed smack into the opposite side of that narrow ditch face first, eyes wide open watching the ground coming! Smashed my glasses into my face, cutting the bridge of my nose. I felt NO pain. All I felt was embarrassment. This is a small town. Before I could squirm free of my trike there were people wanting to save me. Nothing I hate more than screwing up and getting myself into situation where I need help. My left side is paralyzed, and I have my own ways of getting up, and when people start helping it is all wrong! A lady wants to call 911. LOL! "NOOO.... I'm okay. I fall all of the time! " I knew nothing was broken. I don't break! I was seriously disoriented, sort of dazed. I noticed a little blood dripping into my eyes. Wasn't enough for concern. Four people had appeared out of nowhere! They untangled me from my trike, and against my protests lifted me to my feet. then dragged me up the bank back to the highway. They wanted to call an ambulance. One guy offered to put my trike in his truck and give me a ride home. I kept telling them, I was okay, and I was going to finish our ride. Nails stayed right with me the entire time. The lady has taken the leash out of my basket and put it on Nails. I wiped the blood away with a towel finally convinced them that I was okay, and found the humility to thank them, and the slowly gave up trying to save me. I managed to straighten my front wheel, adjust my mirror, take the leash off of Nails, check for cars, and peddled away from my saviors with my dog and my embarrassment. I kinda wanted to just go home, but I said I was going to finish our ride. At the convenience store I turned around and ran Nails back past the spot where it happed. We went up to the intersection, pulled into the side street, turned around, stopped at the stop sign, checked traffic, and ran that stretch right! Then we finished our run. I really didn't feel like finishing the run, but I didn't want to confuse Nails. I wanted him to feel like everything was okay. Typing this hurts. My neck hurts. My right thigh is bruised good. My right ribs are bruised. My left leg is scraped deep from the bear claw peddle that I use to keep my paralyzed foot from sliding off, and my back hurts. A week from now, I will be fine. we did our run today. I told myself and Nails it was too cold and windy yesterday. Anyway, anyone wanting to discussing putting electric on a trike can feel free to talk with me. I can barely walk, but I can peddle that trike. I love my trike! I put solid rubber tires on it. That is pain in the butt with no suspension, but it is a lot of security. I can go anywhere without worry of a flat. those stresses, strains, and pains keeps ya young! If I had known where I was going, I would have started with a better trike. The weather tomorrow is going to be great!

Last edited:
Quite an adventure you've had. I really respect your tenacity.
My wife calls it a different word that ends with "ity", and it isn't serenity. It is in the 50's today. We just finished our three miles. A tired dog is a happy dog. Dogs can learn to love Ebikes! I grew up with coon dogs. Coon, rabbit, and squirrel was the bulk of our meat. Those dogs lived for the hunt and the fight. Nails gets crazy just like them when we are getting ready to go on a run. And he doesn't want to kill anything. He just wants the run. Squirrels can run out three foot in front of us. He just ignores them. The only thing that bothers him is huge aggressive dogs. He wants to speed up and get past them. Nails is an Ebike dog!

Last edited:
Years ago my wife bought a new metallic red Miami Sun trike with a 3 speed hub. It was a beautiful well-made trike, but it was kind of a beast to ride, especially on hills. I didn't know anything about electrifying bikes or trikes back then, and she couldn't keep up with those of us on 2 wheelers or make the distance on our typical rides, so she never used it much. It was still in perfect shape when we sold it 5 or 6 years ago. She then got a 2 wheel Blix e-bike after we sold the Miami Sun and enjoyed riding the Blix for a couple of years. But she suffered several falls on the 2 wheeler and had a few nasty scrapes, broken glasses and other minor injuries. Fortunately, she never had any serious injuries, but we realized with her age/health situation that she would not be able to safely continue with the Blix. So, I bought her a Evelo Compass e-trike. We are now ready to start our 4th riding season with the Compass this summer. It has worked out great. Our typical rides are less than 30 miles so there is plenty of charge in the dual batteries to go the distance even when she makes ample use of the throttle. We usually ride at average speeds of 10 to 15 mph so with the Compass she can easily keep up with most of us in our riding group. And so far she has had no tip-overs or other mishaps with the Compass. The Compass has made a big difference in enabling her to keep riding and enjoying the bike trails.

Last edited:
Years ago my wife bought a new metallic red Miami Sun trike with a 3 speed hub. It was a beautiful well-made trike, but it was kind of a beast to ride, especially on hills. I didn't know anything about electrifying bikes or trikes back then, and she couldn't keep up with those of us on 2 wheelers or make the distance on our typical rides, so she never used it much. It was still in perfect shape when we sold it 5 or 6 years ago. She then got a 2 wheel Blix e-bike after we sold the Miami Sun and enjoyed riding the Blix for a couple of years. But she suffered several falls on the 2 wheeler and had a few nasty scrapes, broken glasses and other minor injuries. Fortunately, she never had any serious injuries, but we realized with her age/health situation that she would not be able to safely continue with the Blix. So, I bought her a Evelo Compass e-trike. We are now ready to start our 4th riding season with the Compass this summer. It has worked out great. Our typical rides are less than 30 miles so there is plenty of charge in the dual batteries to go the distance even when she makes ample use of the throttle. We usually ride at average speeds of 10 to 15 mph so with the Compass she can easily keep up with most of us in our riding group. And so far she has had no tip-overs or other mishaps with the Compass. The Compass has made a big difference in enabling her to keep riding and enjoying the bike trails.
I am happy with my Trike, but I am going to check the Evelo Compass out. I see that Lectric has an affordable trike, now. I think Lectric is an American company. It will carry a second battery, too.

Wow! Sorry to hear about your ordeal for sure, and I hope you’re right that nothing major is wrong. I hope your trike is okay as well, as when I have a mishaps, my first concern is usually my steed.

I have a friend who wants a etrike but he's kinda slow and weak, so I'm arranging a test ride because I know someone who happens to have one. A BUZZ 350 watt mid-drive. No throttle though. My friend who wants a etrike stinks at reading so I can't have him read your story but as you know, trikes are their own beast. My wife has had a few trike motorcycles and I've learned how t ride them safely but I still prefer 2 wheels.

Glad you didn't get seriously mangled from your etrike crash. If I fall and see blood I'm done for the day. No getting back on the horse for me, that thing can run away after bucking me off!

I have a friend who wants a etrike but he's kinda slow and weak, so I'm arranging a test ride because I know someone who happens to have one. A BUZZ 350 watt mid-drive. No throttle though. My friend who wants a etrike stinks at reading so I can't have him read your story but as you know, trikes are their own beast. My wife has had a few trike motorcycles and I've learned how t ride them safely but I still prefer 2 wheels.

Glad you didn't get seriously mangled from your etrike crash. If I fall and see blood I'm done for the day. No getting back on the horse for me, that thing can run away after bucking me off!
I don't break! I got scraped and bruised. Been out three times since, We did 5 miles today. Nails is on the couch recharging, and the trike is in the garage recharging. I have a Honda Helix with training wheels, So I know three wheels. The Helix is lot more stable.

I don't break! I got scraped and bruised. Been out three times since, We did 5 miles today. Nails is on the couch recharging, and the trike is in the garage recharging. I have a Honda Helix with training wheels, So I know three wheels. The Helix is lot more stable.
Keep at it. Loved reading your story !

I am 76 years old. I bought a basically brand new Miami Sun Trike for $200 about five years ago. My left side is substantially paralyzed, but my left hand will grasp, and I can peddle. I had no idea where I was going with that trike. The trike had a three speed hub on it. I put a five speed hub on it. I peddled my butt off with little result for four years. Then I had a heart attack. No big deal. The VA put a stent in one aorta and told me to keep moving. Three days after surgery, I was peddling. I got an Australian Cattle Dog that I slowly trained trot along side me. This was not planned. As he matured I extended our distances. Eventually he earned the right to run with commands off leash. The little turd could easily out run me. Last fall, My legs just were no longer able to do what I wanted, so I put a front wheel kit on the trike. I ordered a 1200 watt hub with 52 volt 19.2 amp hour battery. My grandson helped install it. Actually, he installed it. I just "supervised". For whatever that was worth. WOW! I felt like I had put a big block V/8 in a model T just to go to the grocery store! I figured the computer out an set the speed max at 25 mph. I weigh 170 pounds so it turns out to be about 20 mph. Initially that trike was scary. The torque....WOW! I will never know how fast that trike can go, because even with the new 5 speed hub I installed the pedals are useless somewhere around 12 mph, and the trike begins feeling like something really bad can happen. My dog has hit 18 mph, and that is as fast as I want to go. Fortunately, he is more of a sprinter than a distance runner. It is 3 miles around my town. Then there is highway with wide bike paths in 4 directions. We have done 5 and 6 miles. The trike will do 25-35 miles of stop and go, and messing around in town before It gets down to 20%, so I only have to charge it a max of once a week. We have had an easy winter so we go out 2-4 times a week; a couple times 5 days. Since early last spring I have not had a serious mishap. Until Sunday! Nails and I were easing along at about 6-8 mph. There is a short one block strip on main street where the bike path narrows and there is less than a foot to the beginning of a steep taper into a 4 foot ditch. We normally stop at the intersection, and I check for cars coming behind us. There were none, so we accelerated to get through that bad spot and turn into the driveway of a convenience store. Somehow, while watching my dog and looking into my mirror, my right rear wheel dropped over the edge of the pavement, and I could feel that there was no coming back from that. I instinctively knew to steer into the ditch to minimize damage, looking to see that I didn't run over Nails. Nails has razor sharp reactions and keys on the front wheel. Rode into that ditch on my terms, rather than the terms of gravity. Yeah! Slammed smack into the opposite side of that narrow ditch face first, eyes wide open watching the ground coming! Smashed my glasses into my face, cutting the bridge of my nose. I felt NO pain. All I felt was embarrassment. This is a small town. Before I could squirm free of my trike there were people wanting to save me. Nothing I hate more than screwing up and getting myself into situation where I need help. My left side is paralyzed, and I have my own ways of getting up, and when people start helping it is all wrong! A lady wants to call 911. LOL! "NOOO.... I'm okay. I fall all of the time! " I knew nothing was broken. I don't break! I was seriously disoriented, sort of dazed. I noticed a little blood dripping into my eyes. Wasn't enough for concern. Four people had appeared out of nowhere! They untangled me from my trike, and against my protests lifted me to my feet. then dragged me up the bank back to the highway. They wanted to call an ambulance. One guy offered to put my trike in his truck and give me a ride home. I kept telling them, I was okay, and I was going to finish our ride. Nails stayed right with me the entire time. The lady has taken the leash out of my basket and put it on Nails. I wiped the blood away with a towel finally convinced them that I was okay, and found the humility to thank them, and the slowly gave up trying to save me. I managed to straighten my front wheel, adjust my mirror, take the leash off of Nails, check for cars, and peddled away from my saviors with my dog and my embarrassment. I kinda wanted to just go home, but I said I was going to finish our ride. At the convenience store I turned around and ran Nails back past the spot where it happed. We went up to the intersection, pulled into the side street, turned around, stopped at the stop sign, checked traffic, and ran that stretch right! Then we finished our run. I really didn't feel like finishing the run, but I didn't want to confuse Nails. I wanted him to feel like everything was okay. Typing this hurts. My neck hurts. My right thigh is bruised good. My right ribs are bruised. My left leg is scraped deep from the bear claw peddle that I use to keep my paralyzed foot from sliding off, and my back hurts. A week from now, I will be fine. we did our run today. I told myself and Nails it was too cold and windy yesterday. Anyway, anyone wanting to discussing putting electric on a trike can feel free to talk with me. I can barely walk, but I can peddle that trike. I love my trike! I put solid rubber tires on it. That is pain in the butt with no suspension, but it is a lot of security. I can go anywhere without worry of a flat. those stresses, strains, and pains keeps ya young! If I had known where I was going, I would have started with a better trike. The weather tomorrow is going to be great!
I love reading stories like yours! As someone with MS, who rides a tadpole trike (and has flipped them) and is as stubborn as you appear to be, I can relate completely! I also love that you were sensitive to your dog throughout the whole experience of the mishap. Dogs and bikes keep us moving so keep moving, but maybe a little more carefully...?

The Helix is the greatest motor scooter ever! I've owned 2 of them and still miss them. Simple to work on and overall pretty bulletproof.

Wow! Sorry to hear about your ordeal for sure, and I hope you’re right that nothing major is wrong. I hope your trike is okay as well, as when I have a mishaps, my first concern is usually my steed.
All is good. We go out almost every day. Getting hot, now, so we go out at day break.

I'm curious whether trikes with the single wheel in front are more or less stable than trikes with the single wheel in the rear. I'd like to hear any opinions or relevant facts.

There are now tilting delta trikes (and same for the tadpoles). I assume that solves the flipping your trike over issue. That feature seems to raise the price of a trike quite a bit, but bike wrecks are not fun and anything that helps prevent tipping over is probably well worth the extra cost.

I love reading stories like yours! As someone with MS, who rides a tadpole trike (and has flipped them) and is as stubborn as you appear to be, I can relate completely! I also love that you were sensitive to your dog throughout the whole experience of the mishap. Dogs and bikes keep us moving so keep moving, but maybe a little more carefully...?
LOL! A few weeks ago. My grandson's huge Wolf Pit mix pulled me into the same ditch, in almost the same spot. He was attending to another dog instead of me. We were going about 9 mph. I didn't get hurt at all this time. "Practice makes perfect"?? I have him sharpened up, now. He has become the poetry I seek while running the dogs. We do figure 8s on the gas pumps at the local convenience store. He now attends to me and the front wheel, and I barely have to watch him. We know each other and are each predictable to the other. He can run 3 miles at 7-8-9-10mph. I know that if something goes wrong at those speeds, at 76 years old and substantially paralyzed on the left side, I am going to be hurt, but the rhythmic beauty of it is too much to resist. My cattle dog is a dependable little work horse. I have started running my great granddaughter's pup. He lean and racy. He is going to be beautiful in the run. Weird thing. Seems like the dogs just naturally focus on the run after some runs. They seem to naturally ignore distractions. Aggressive dogs are a problem. We live in a smaller town, and we know where the big aggressive dogs are. It is the surprises that get you. I would rather die than lose the joy of running the dogs. It is so beautiful and joyous when we become one in movement. I feel like we are free flowing liquid.

LOL! A few weeks ago. My grandson's huge Wolf Pit mix pulled me into the same ditch, in almost the same spot. He was attending to another dog instead of me. We were going about 9 mph. I didn't get hurt at all this time. "Practice makes perfect"?? I have him sharpened up, now. He has become the poetry I seek while running the dogs. We do figure 8s on the gas pumps at the local convenience store. He now attends to me and the front wheel, and I barely have to watch him. We know each other and are each predictable to the other. He can run 3 miles at 7-8-9-10mph. I know that if something goes wrong at those speeds, at 76 years old and substantially paralyzed on the left side, I am going to be hurt, but the rhythmic beauty of it is too much to resist. My cattle dog is a dependable little work horse. I have started running my great granddaughter's pup. He lean and racy. He is going to be beautiful in the run. Weird thing. Seems like the dogs just naturally focus on the run after some runs. They seem to naturally ignore distractions. Aggressive dogs are a problem. We live in a smaller town, and we know where the big aggressive dogs are. It is the surprises that get you. I would rather die than lose the joy of running the dogs. It is so beautiful and joyous when we become one in movement. I feel like we are free flowing liquid.
I used to have a big Irish setter who could pull me like an ox on my bike--using his choke chain as harness. He didn't even notice the discomfort. Much later, I had a springer spaniel, who was also a strong puller, but I never tried her with the bike. To tame her insistence on pulling, I got a "Gentle Leader," which yanks the dog's muzzle sideways when they get too rambunctious. She hated it, but I'd say, "No Gentle Leader, no walk," and then she'd submit. Eventually, she'd walk at my side with a slack lead, which was my ultimate goal. We learned to totally ignore dogs that would rush the fence to roar at us, but I never could let her off leash because of the combination of squirrels (utterly irresistible) and auto traffic (concerning which she was dumb as a post). Eventually, as she aged, the walks got slower and shorter, until . . .

Great granddaughter's pup has become a real joy in my life. I have no idea how fast he can run, because I won't go that fast. Being a pup, he stays on leash. We babysit him 3 days a week, so three days a week I run three dogs 2 1/2- 3 miles each. We go out 6-7 days a week. Something about that pup makes me smile and laugh. With him, I peddle around with a bid stupid smile on my face. That pup is an airhead, but he is so easy to love, and he can run!! He walks fast at 9-10 mph. 17 mph is not a full run for him. Running these dogs has become a drug. Excellent heart medicine. Run the dogs...No chest pains. Sit around....chest pain. Sometimes 7 miles a day. Cold weather it coming, we can go almost every day. The dogs love the cold. Until it snows. Strong head winds really drain the battery. I have to give Ebikeling a big thumbs up. I expect to get five years out of that battery....maybe more. I have 550 miles on the kit without any issue.

I have seen video (on this forum) of articulated trikes, where the whole bike kind of leans into the turn. I think these may be either front wheel or rear wheel trikes (referring to the steering wheel). They look much more stable in turns. Also, the recumbent trikes look more stable, as they should be with your weight down so low.

Back