What's the Funniest critter you've Ever been chased by while on a ride ? ?

1557883265243.jpeg

I carry the large bear spray.1557883265243.jpeg

Last edited:
It wasn't biking but jogging. In my undergrad university days, I was chased by a rooster daily when passing a particular house on a country lane ... loved that little guy although I never got to know him very well. But I don't think he cared too much for me ...

Most amazing bicycle/animal chase I've ever seen....a bear! And this crazy guy abandons his bicycle to run when a branch blocks the trail! Absolutely terrifying.

Does anybody actually believe this! gunshots at the end! I have been in places god does not know exists, no bears, no coyotes, safe. And i think i have an understanding, go to places they have had very little human contact, they will fear you.
As for this ass, glad you got some exercise.

It was not a funny critter. It was a damn scary critter. The pit bull that chased me today and almost caught me.

I was commuting home, and just a few blocks from where I had witnessed a school bus dropping off some elementary school kids, I happened on a loose pit bull. Female perhaps nursing or recently nursing. I noticed a car idling in the street next to this pit which was standing by a tree in the yard of a corner lot. I thought perhaps the car's occupants were trying to corral a loose pet so I slowed my pace for fear the dog might run into my path. Well the damn dog did run but not into my path. Rather, it broke into a full death-sprint at me snarling and growling. I was on my class 1 GSD. I really didn't feel fear at first because I've had dogs come at me before and either they stop when they hit a property line or I just accelerate and they give up. I accelerated moderately thinking that would be the end of the story and still actually concerned for the dog because it had entered the roadway. But then I hear the claws of the dog on the asphalt and the snarling and I look down and realize that dog is just about to get a hold of my foot. I had accelerated to about 17 mph and that damn dog was almost keeping pace! Can a pit bull really run 17 mph? There are news reports here all the time of loose pit bulls getting kids or mailmen and now I understand cause if I had been afoot then I'd probably be writing this from a hospital bed. For a second I thought the dog was going to pull me off my bike and I felt like that dog chased me for two blocks but it was probably about a block. Once it gave up on me, I saw it in a standoff with a car in the middle of the road. The car stopped to not hit the dog and the dog was stopped facing the car and growling.

I shudder to think there are dogs running the streets like that and kiddos are going to and coming from school. I also shudder to think what the outcome would have been if my wife had been with me. She doesn't ride all that fast. She's already been through the rabies treatment once after a dog chased her and bit her in the butt (we were not riding together on that day).

It was not a funny critter. It was a damn scary critter. The pit bull that chased me today and almost caught me.

I was commuting home, and just a few blocks from where I had witnessed a school bus dropping off some elementary school kids, I happened on a loose pit bull. Female perhaps nursing or recently nursing. I noticed a car idling in the street next to this pit which was standing by a tree in the yard of a corner lot. I thought perhaps the car's occupants were trying to corral a loose pet so I slowed my pace for fear the dog might run into my path. Well the damn dog did run but not into my path. Rather, it broke into a full death-sprint at me snarling and growling. I was on my class 1 GSD. I really didn't feel fear at first because I've had dogs come at me before and either they stop when they hit a property line or I just accelerate and they give up. I accelerated moderately thinking that would be the end of the story and still actually concerned for the dog because it had entered the roadway. But then I hear the claws of the dog on the asphalt and the snarling and I look down and realize that dog is just about to get a hold of my foot. I had accelerated to about 17 mph and that damn dog was almost keeping pace! Can a pit bull really run 17 mph? There are news reports here all the time of loose pit bulls getting kids or mailmen and now I understand cause if I had been afoot then I'd probably be writing this from a hospital bed. For a second I thought the dog was going to pull me off my bike and I felt like that dog chased me for two blocks but it was probably about a block. Once it gave up on me, I saw it in a standoff with a car in the middle of the road. The car stopped to not hit the dog and the dog was stopped facing the car and growling.

I shudder to think there are dogs running the streets like that and kiddos are going to and coming from school. I also shudder to think what the outcome would have been if my wife had been with me. She doesn't ride all that fast. She's already been through the rabies treatment once after a dog chased her and bit her in the butt (we were not riding together on that day).
Wow, Stupid dog lol !! ??

All-Thanks for sharing these interesting posts on this thread. I live in the Midwest and have been on a bicycle for over 40 yrs and never once have I ever been chased by anything on any ride. Is this very common, and if so, where does it happen most of the time (if anyone knows)? Perhaps I am just a little bit more lucky than the rest of the riders?

All-Thanks for sharing these interesting posts on this thread. I live in the Midwest and have been on a bicycle for over 40 yrs and never once have I ever been chased by anything on any ride. Is this very common, and if so, where does it happen most of the time (if anyone knows)? Perhaps I am just a little bit more lucky than the rest of the riders?
It happened to Me, and I'm in Illinois ! ??

Wow this does sound scary. I also did not know a pit bull could run that fast. Then again, you see how some breeds can take off so quickly at the dog races. Just about any animal with 4 legs can probably get into a nice stride and start moving at a decent pace. The pit bull has such short legs though, don't they? I like em, but never owned em.

The interwebs say pitbulls can maintain a running speed of 25-30mph and are great pets for runners.
Usain Bolt runs 28mph and I'm sure dogs are faster than humans. Here's a video of a guy on his motorcycle clocking a pitbull easily running at 43mph. Better etune that pedelec soon!

I was pecked on the back of the helmet by a mockingbird, I think. Vicious little beasts. Blue Jays will do that too, but not as many around here as MB's. I have to wear a hardhat when I work on my roofing; the local MB is very territorial up there.
Dogs are not funny, I view all as a hazard but yellow & black labs, red setters, bassetts. Had a red setter run with me 4 blocks just to be freindly once. Lots of breeds aim for my heel. An old yeller thinks she owns the shortest road into my summer camp, knows right where my heel is. Blasted by her house Saturday at 25 mph, catch that bitch! Hooray 1000 W hub motor. Previously I always was struggling uphill at 4 mph at that house.
Border collies try to herd me, nipping a heel for emphasis.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I rode by a park by my house on my regular bike. There were a couple of cops giving their K-9 partner a bathroom break or leg stretching. They were on the street corner at an intersection at the park. I purposefully went by extra slow and in the middle of the street vs a normal lane position that would have placed me closer to the dog. As I passed and started to pick up pace that dog snarled and lunged after me. It pulled a very strong, young policeman into the roadway as it hit the end of its leash. Something about the pace of a bicycle that sparks a dog's aggression? I always wonder what the city protocol would have been had the dog escaped his handler and taken down an innocent civilian on a bicycle.

Loved watching those Mockingbirds torture my cats when I was a kid, growing up in West Texas. Relentless little guys.

Not mine pinched off the internet. (we don't have bears)

Attachments

• Montana Meals on Wheels Program.jpg
    Montana Meals on Wheels Program.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 342
Back