What shoes do you ride with?

Dallant

Region
USA
So, what newer shoes do you ride with and what do you like about them?
I’ve been looking at some new biking shoes but have no interest in any kind of clip style shoes as my Allant has the boring but effective Bontrager Satellite City pedal. I’ve been wearing a very light pair of ASICS hiking style shoes.

1593561823202.jpeg

ASIC sneakers or a pair of Shimano spd clip shoe but just use them in my baskets. The cycling shoe are a little stiffer and better for longer rides(more efficient)

These are the ones my wife has. She road with regular sneakers one day and the flex in the sole made her foot hurt so she wears these every ride now.

Mine are the mens equivalent. I mostly ride clipless but if conditions are tough for mtb riding and I don’t want to be clipped in or if I think I will be walking around during a ride, I wear my five- tens. I bought my first pair in the ‘80’s for light climbing when they first came out and loved them.

Any specific one and why?

Specifically, these:

Adidas FiveTen Freerider Pro are believed to be the best cycling shoes ever made for flat pedals. I only wear these for my rides nowadays. Strong points:
  • Durable, protecting your feet, especially the toes against any injuries. I once managed to drop a heavy automotive wrench onto my toes while wearing the 510s. I felt no impact!
  • Unbelievably good pedal grip. The sole of 510s is made of special rubber that holds as if it were glued to platform pedals. As good as the "clipless" shoes.
  • The sole is stiff, which improves pedalling efficiency.
  • Even if the shoes are "enclosed", these ensure good ventillation.
  • Allow walking.
The 510s are not the best below 50F because the soles are not that grippy at low temperatures. I wear these shoes even on 4 hour (ride time) trips and feel no foot fatigue, now, in the Summer. Note: My feet suffer from inadequate blood supply and are very sensitive. The 510s protect my feet ideally. I used to ride the Bontrager City Satellite pedals with 510s several months ago before too (before I swapped the pedals to Stamps).

1593575660242.png

Last edited:
For lower temps, the freerider EPS (with insulation) are a much better choice. Not sure on the durometer of the rubber in the cold but the shoes are very comfy in the cold. I have never though t to myself, I wish these shoes were more sticky.

https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/five-ten-freerider-eps-high-men's-mountain-bike-shoe/FT43.html

Prior to going to flat pedals, for over 20 years I exclusively used SPD MTB pedals with SPD compabtible shoes(road and mountain) and all the cold weather gear like booties and chemical toes/warmers, I would usually give up about 20F

The Freerider EPS is a great winter shoe(much better/warmer than any SPD compatible shoe I have ever used), I usually start wearing them when it gets below 50F and start using chemical toe warmers when it gets below 40F.

For lower temps, the freerider EPS (with insulation) are a much better choice. Not sure on the durometer of the rubber in the cold but the shoes are very comfy in the cold. I have never though t to myself, I wish these shoes were more sticky.

https://www.adidasoutdoor.com/five-ten-freerider-eps-high-men's-mountain-bike-shoe/FT43.html

Prior to going to flat pedals, for over 20 years I exclusively used SPD MTB pedals with SPD compabtible shoes(road and mountain) and all the cold weather gear like booties and chemical toes/warmers, I would usually give up about 20F

The Freerider EPS is a great winter shoe(much better/warmer than any SPD compatible shoe I have ever used), I usually start wearing them when it gets below 50F and start using chemical toe warmers when it gets below 40F.
Interesting! For the winter, I just wear mountain hiking boots and also e-socks (electrically heated socks) :)

I use these
1E7FB12B-AF98-421C-A722-7D646D68DFCB.jpeg

Flarut men’s sandals. Actually Amazon sells these under several brand names. They are cheap and run large. I am wearing a pair now that is two sizes smaller than normal. The soles are indestructible. I use platform pedals with little screws and they chew up the bottom of most shoes, but not these. The rubber bumpers protect my toes. The openings let air in to my foot. They are comfortable to walk in, and the sole is rigid enough to provide some buffer from the pedal. The label on top says “fashion” so I know when I am wearing them I have fashion on my feet.

Thanks a bunch to everyone for their insights! The ASICS/Bontrager Satellite City pedal combo I have are just OK but really slip more than I prefer. I’m looking at a shoe/pedal combo change to get the best of both worlds.😎

MKS ALLWAYS

We set out to design a pedal that can be used for all types of cycling. We knew it needed it have a large platform, replaceable pins, our triple sealed bearing, while still being lightweight.

We present to you the MKS Allways: Any road (or path), all of the time.

1593600246749.png

1593600463546.png

I’m looking at a shoe/pedal combo change to get the best of both worlds.😎
Adidas 510 with either CrankBrothers Stamp 1 pedals or with Race Face (e.g. Ride) ones. The "Stamps" are equipped with adjustable steel pins that hold the shoe as strong as the clipless pedal hold the shoe-cleat. You actually need to lift your feet from the Stamps before dismounting the bike. The downside is you can hurt your shins agains the pins if you're not careful enough. The Race Face "Ride" have plastic "pins" that hold the shoe well, no danger of injury.

Back