What Real World Range Are You Seeing With Your Specialized Turbo?

My Turbo Vado 5.0 (2019), the S-Pedelec, turned out to be such a disappointment when it comes to the real range on a single battery charge... Yes, it's superfast but it also appears to be as quaffing the electric current as Ferrari gulps gasoline.

It was one of my recent rides when the battery went flat. Not exactly flat; below 5% battery level, the control unit limits the pedalling assistance to conserve the power for the lighting so the Vado starts behaving like a heavy unassisted bike with a lot of drag. There are "rider's power input" and "motor's power input" bars oscillating on the display. It was for the first time my pedalling input was far greater than the motor input. How comes?

There's a place I need to commute to and to make round trip home the other way for fitness. On November 15th I said to myself "Having a fast e-bike, I will ride all the way in the Sport mode". The outward trip was downwind (wind speed 22 km/h/13.7 mph) and of course the way back was upwind. On the return trip the wind was so nasty I turned the Turbo mode for some 5-10 minutes but switched back to Sport mode later, then to Eco. After 45 km (28 mi) trip, the battery reached 5% and the assistance virtually ceased to exist. Having nice average speed of 24 km/h (14.9 mph) with pedalling assistance, I ended up with the avg speed of 22.5 km/h (14 mph). Very, very short range as for a 604 Wh battery, isn't it. (The outside temperature was 48 F).

On the next day, I rode my other e-bike, Lovelec, which is rear-hub-motor bike with 576 Wh battery and is unrestricted. The maximum speed of the Vado that could practically be achieved and maintained on the Day 1 was some 37 km/h (23 mph). Lovelec is weaker than Vado and I could keep some 30 km/h (18.6 mph) for a longer time period. The conditions on the Day 2 were same as on the Day 1.

Guess what. Riding the Lovelec, I maintained the average speed of 24 km/h (14.9 mph) and there was still 30% of the battery left. Taking into account the Lovelec cost being half of what I paid for the Vado, I wonder why I bought the Vado in the first place. That was partly because I believed the Specialized Range Calculator.

If you give the Specialized Range Calculator a thorough test, you will notice it does not work over 25 km/h in Metric units but it produces crap if you enter 20 mph as the Average Speed in Imperial Units. Then, the average speed means nothing. It is because due to the road conditions it is typical for the Vado to accelerate to high speed fast and then decelerate because for any reason you need to pull the brakes. Frequent acceleration and deceleration means energy loss. With Lovelec, you slowly get onto a decent speed and as it is lower than with Vado, you move at more or less constant speed. The energy is spent wisely.

Specialized Range Calculator? What a crap! Here is what Specialized say about Turbo Vado 5.0 today:

"For the Vado 5.0, we developed a custom 600 Wh battery that seamlessly integrates into the frame, is lockable, and easily removable for simplified charging. In other words, there's plenty of juice to take you to and from work, a trip to the grocery store, or even to that new café on the other side of the city.
If you wish to see exactly how far you can go on a charge, have a look at our Turbo Range Calculator for more exact estimates."

That's what Specialized wrote on their Web site before:

"For the Vado 6.0, we developed a custom 600 Wh battery that seamlessly integrates into the frame, is lockable, and easily removable for simplified charging.

Thanks to the battery, the motor can assist the rider up to 80 km (50 mi) in Eco mode, up to 56 km (35 mi) in the Sport mode, and up to 40 km (25 mi) in Turbo mode. These are of course estimated values for the total weight of the rider and the bike of 110 kg (240 lbs) riding on the flat with weak wind.

In other words, and with the maximum speed of 45 km/h (28 mph) there's plenty of juice to take you to and from work, a trip to the grocery store, or even to that new café on the other side of the city."

/I found this older text in a Web site of a Specialized dealer who has not updated the wording yet/

I was cheated. Yes, the Vado 5.0 is a nice e-bike yet the real range is frustrating, especially as a spare battery costs $1000 (It is $500 for Lovelec).

(I attach the 2019 Specialized advert for Turbo Vado 5.0 as the proof, unluckily in Polish. I have found it only now).

Last edited:
Specialized Turbo Como 5.0 2020. This afternoon I realized that I was averaging 20 miles per 33% of battery usage or 60 miles on a full charge (not including that at 5% the bike cuts most power) with 10 mph headwinds about a third of the trip! Maybe 95% of the time at ECO mode, rolling hills and a deliberate effort to maintain a cadence of >60. Overall this is an improvement over last Spring which is probably due to better fitness after riding 3,000 miles in a year.

However, going up long steep hills in Turbo mode yields only 10% of battery per mile. Keeping up with the fast boys (25 mph average) yields about 30 mile range.

Bill

My Turbo Vado 5.0 (2019), the S-Pedelec, turned out to be such a disappointment when it comes to the real range on a single battery charge... Yes, it's superfast but it also appears to be as quaffing the electric current as Ferrari gulps gasoline.

It was one of my recent rides when the battery went flat. Not exactly flat; below 5% battery level, the control unit limits the pedalling assistance to conserve the power for the lighting so the Vado starts behaving like a heavy unassisted bike with a lot of drag. There are "rider's power input" and "motor's power input" bars oscillating on the display. It was for the first time my pedalling input was far greater than the motor input. How comes?

There's a place I need to commute to and to make round trip home the other way for fitness. On November 15th I said to myself "Having a fast e-bike, I will ride all the way in the Sport mode". The outward trip was downwind (wind speed 22 km/h/13.7 mph) and of course the way back was upwind. On the return trip the wind was so nasty I turned the Turbo mode for some 5-10 minutes but switched back to Sport mode later, then to Eco. After 45 km (28 mi) trip, the battery reached 5% and the assistance virtually ceased to exist. Having nice average speed of 24 km/h (14.9 mph) with pedalling assistance, I ended up with the avg speed of 22.5 km/h (14 mph). Very, very short range as for a 604 Wh battery, isn't it. (The outside temperature was 48 F).

On the next day, I rode my other e-bike, Lovelec, which is rear-hub-motor bike with 576 Wh battery and is unrestricted. The maximum speed of the Vado that could practically be achieved and maintained on the Day 1 was some 37 km/h (23 mph). Lovelec is weaker than Vado and I could keep some 30 km/h (18.6 mph) for a longer time period. The conditions on the Day 2 were same as on the Day 1.

Guess what. Riding the Lovelec, I maintained the average speed of 24 km/h (14.9 mph) and there was still 30% of the battery left. Taking into account the Lovelec cost being half of what I paid for the Vado, I wonder why I bought the Vado in the first place. That was partly because I believed the Specialized Range Calculator.

If you give the Specialized Range Calculator a thorough test, you will notice it does not work over 25 km/h in Metric units but it produces crap if you enter 20 mph as the Average Speed in Imperial Units. Then, the average speed means nothing. It is because due to the road conditions it is typical for the Vado to accelerate to high speed fast and then decelerate because for any reason you need to pull the brakes. Frequent acceleration and deceleration means energy loss. With Lovelec, you slowly get onto a decent speed and as it is lower than with Vado, you move at more or less constant speed. The energy is spent wisely.

Specialized Range Calculator? What a crap! Here is what Specialized say about Turbo Vado 5.0 today:

"For the Vado 5.0, we developed a custom 600 Wh battery that seamlessly integrates into the frame, is lockable, and easily removable for simplified charging. In other words, there's plenty of juice to take you to and from work, a trip to the grocery store, or even to that new café on the other side of the city.
If you wish to see exactly how far you can go on a charge, have a look at our Turbo Range Calculator for more exact estimates."

That's what Specialized wrote on their Web site before:

"For the Vado 6.0, we developed a custom 600 Wh battery that seamlessly integrates into the frame, is lockable, and easily removable for simplified charging.

Thanks to the battery, the motor can assist the rider up to 80 km (50 mi) in Eco mode, up to 56 km (35 mi) in the Sport mode, and up to 40 km (25 mi) in Turbo mode. These are of course estimated values for the total weight of the rider and the bike of 110 kg (240 lbs) riding on the flat with weak wind.

In other words, and with the maximum speed of 45 km/h (28 mph) there's plenty of juice to take you to and from work, a trip to the grocery store, or even to that new café on the other side of the city."

/I found this older text in a Web site of a Specialized dealer who has not updated the wording yet/

I was cheated. Yes, the Vado 5.0 is a nice e-bike yet the real range is frustrating, especially as a spare battery costs $1000 (It is $500 for Lovelec).

(I attach the 2019 Specialized advert for Turbo Vado 5.0 as the proof, unluckily in Polish. I have found it only now).

View attachment 41616
@Stefan Mikes do you have Vado 5 or Vado 6?

Did 100.4 km's today, 1,000 metres of climbing, average speed of 25.5 km/hr. and still had 33% battery left at the end of the ride. I was skeptical of the bike's range, but the motor is more efficient than I expected and I'm getting very good range. Haven't been tempted to buy the range extender yet. But I still might, if only to raise my average speed :)

Did 100.4 km's today, 1,000 metres of climbing, average speed of 25.5 km/hr. and still had 33% battery left at the end of the ride. I was skeptical of the bike's range, but the motor is more efficient than I expected and I'm getting very good range. Haven't been tempted to buy the range extender yet. But I still might, if only to raise my average speed :)
Creo? Or Creo SL?

I thought so...I saw above text when you said “my 2019 Vado 5”
I was cheated by the LBS regarding the model year (I only discovered the MY during the bike registration). Yet the price was really good and the Vado 5.0 was the flagship e-bike of 2017 equipped with the best components.

I commute with the como 4.0. My commute is 16 miles round trip, and fairly flat. I pretty much put it into turbo mode at all times. Why not?

My ride takes about half of the battery. If it is cold or windy, I have seen it take up to 85% of the battery.

Weight of rider plus gear is about 250 - 270 pounds depending on what gear is strapped to the rack.

Graph, MC/BLEvo and Display. Head wind both days coming back. My weight 180. Weight in my panniers about 27 pounds. Distant over 2 days 82.5 miles 13% battery remaining.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200508-053114~2.png
    Screenshot_20200508-053114~2.png
    179.7 KB · Views: 347
  • Screenshot_20200508-053808.png
    Screenshot_20200508-053808.png
    861.9 KB · Views: 360
  • Screenshot_20200508-053124~2.png
    Screenshot_20200508-053124~2.png
    123.1 KB · Views: 330
  • Screenshot_20200507-121640~2.png
    Screenshot_20200507-121640~2.png
    94.3 KB · Views: 350
Specialized's lineup is so confusing... There is no 2020 Vado 6.0 in the USA. Is there one in Europe? The 5.0 is the top of the line stateside.
Yes it is. Vado 6.0 is the only Class 3 Vado model for Europe.

Last edited:
I don't see any range calculator on specialized website. Is it still available or is it part of the phone app? Or just gone?

I don't see any range calculator on specialized website. Is it still available or is it part of the phone app? Or just gone?
I think it's gone. At least U.S. site. Anyway latest range riding in the same area, hills of SCV. Over 2 days of riding on a single charge.

Attachments

• 20200523_182351.jpg
    20200523_182351.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 329
  • 20200523_182337.jpg
    20200523_182337.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 332
  • 20200523_182325.jpg
    20200523_182325.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 345
Back