What is your current e-bike, and what do you hope will be your next?

Mass Deduction

Some of you may have an e-bike that you plan to own, maintain, and enjoy for years to come. If so, that's awesome!

For those of us who have an e-bike in mind to replace their current one: which is your current e-bike, what do you have your eye on as your next e-bike, and why?

M.D., great idea for a new thread. 👍

I presently ride a Pedego RidgeRider, along with two carbon road bikes. I'm not totally satisfied with my RR, but I've made some changes that I hope will make the bike more enjoyable to ride.
Having said that, I've been seriously looking at buying an high powered Bafang ebike kit and building my own DIY ebike. To me, half the fun is building it myself and I also want to end up with a fast bike.

I'm also looking at replacing my very light carbon road bike with a road ebike for my 70th birthday (just under two years). Presently, the Specialized Creo pushes all the "I want this bike" buttons, but at the speed the ebike market is changing I'm sure there will be something even more desirable in the near future.

The new drive in town, the GMAC from Grin (a quality gear driven rear hub with advanced regen features), would be the inspiration behind my next bike. As there isn't a production bike currently available with this drive, I'll be waiting for one, or more likely, getting impatient and building one of my own.

Currently riding a much modified '18 Rad City, powered by a MAC 12t (gear driven rear hub specially wound for low speed torque), where the only remaining RAD OEM parts are the fenders, the frame, the battery, and the front wheel.

Greetings, I currently own a rad mini, two years now. I plan on getting a super monarch in the spring, it’s just the tank I need for the trails I ride with the quad runners, upper lower Michigan.

My current commuting/long haul e-bike is a Felt Sport-E (https://feltbicycles.com/products/sport-e-50-s-electric-e-bike). It's a "trekking" bike with heavy puncture resistant tires. The tires are Schwalbe Energizer Pros, and are so beefy that swapping the stock tires to Energizer Pros on a previous bike added 3 pounds! So I'm very impressed that they got the stock weight with those tires, and a suspension fork, down to 42.4 pounds! I'm very happy with it, and it may be something that's my "daily driver" for years to come.

Then again, I may not. I'm looking hard at the BMC Alpenchallenge AMP Cross Ltd (https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/alpenchallenge-amp-cross-ltd-302002.html). A long name, but a lightweight bike. Same motor and battery as the Felt, vastly better wheels (DT Swiss w/through axles!), vastly better gearing (XT Di2!), carbon frame and fork, 10mm of vibration dampening in the rear end, a wider range of gears, and the bike weighs only 33 pounds. The lighter the bike, the more inspired I am to pedal hard. Givin' 'er on a lightweight bike feels far more rewarding to me than pedalling hard and feeling like I'm not getting much out of it! So a more efficient bike, that inspires me to also pedal harder, should equal "brraaaaaaap". ;)

My wife and I both have Ecotric's. She has and loves her 20" fattie folder step-thru. I have the 26" fattie beach/sand. It is currently in the shop getting upgraded headset berings. I bought my 26" for the price ($750) to ride but also modify. I think it works great for my needs. I'm older and don't need performance standards I once required. Fat tires allow me access to many different types of terrain and road/trail conditions. I did add a set of air/coil front forks to reduce the jarring my very worn out shoulders can't deal with. At this stage I am content but admit I spend hours looking at the higher line eMtbs. Unfortunately Fatties don't seem to get much manufacture attention in the 3 to 5k range.

I would keep what I have, Giant Explore, but would like the Trance-E+3 Pro in addition, to go ride old Sierra mountain trails that are now closed to dirtbikes. Beautiful country and fun riding.
The Yamaha mid-drive is a huge success. Can't wait to try out the pw-x motor.

Dropper seatpost and wide range gearsets are all the rage. :p

P1013068.JPG

Right now my quiver has a Pedego Interceptor and an R&M Charger GX Rohloff with Bosch Performance CX and dual batteries.

The Pedego is a pretty good bike. The Charger is a great bike. For my purposes and based on test rides of later R&M bikes R&M hasn't improved their bikes enough to make it worthwhile to go through the struggle and cost of ordering another one.

I am very intrigued by the Koga E-world Traveler, if they had a Rohloff version with dual batteries and a US version I would take such a bike very seriously.

Personally I think I will wait quite a while (like a few more years) and see what surfaces. So far I haven't seen an e-bike I absolutely have to have. Acoustic bikes, on the other hand, I can think of a few that very much intrigue me:

I want a full suspension road bike. suspension designed for a fast road bike. but other then that a electronic rollof hub and belt drive.

Foreground shows my wife's next bike (maybe) with her current one behind it. We'll see if I can make a good ebike out of the Schwinn folder. Don't know. Lots of cheap bits can be upgraded, but I can't find a suspension fork that fits it. Rear hub motor is on its way from China, Hope to have it running by Valentines Day.

Another project for myself is my 20" minivello. Front drive 36 volts. 36 pounds. Rides like the wind. Why disturb a good thing? I have a TSDZ2 mid drive that's been in the box for 18 months. Will the motor actually work? Will the torque sensor fail? I was going to put the mid drive on the Schwinn, but I can't have that fail in the field with my wife riding, so I'll have to be the guinea pig.

Finally, I bought these yellow wheels on a whim. They're junk, but I can't send them back to China, so might as well lace up a front motor and give it a try on Ecotric fat tire folder.

i have an Ariel Rider w-750 for commuting and a Biktrix HD for light trail and bad weather and i will be keeping both

1228190930a.jpg
1013191033b.jpg

however i really want to add a Frey HT1000 in Mustard or Blue!! im dying to get my hands on an Ultra equipped bike!

1579179550096.png

1579179750343.png

Either the BMC AMP or the BH CREO (500wh, 28lb) road bike.

My second (purely recreational) e-bike is a Haibike XDURO Race S 6.0. I've been giving some thought as to whether to replace it with the BMC AMP drop bar road bike, or to give up on both of them and go with only one bike only. I have decided that I do want all my bikes to use the same battery packs and chargers going forward, and getting the BMC AMP road bike would help with that. I considered getting the Felt Surplus hardtail mountain bike, but the fact that it uses a different battery pack than my other e-bike held me back.

Yes , the Felt surplus is also a good choice. I'm surprised that the Haibike road is gone for 2020. It looked very unique.
Check out the BH Creo, in march is coming to the Us.
The Carbon version will be around 3.2-3.5k. Inlike BHb/c of their quality and reliability. Most of their 2020ebikes have the new 21700cells/720WH packs.

Either that or the BMC AMP for me. Possibly the battery pack on either one can be Upgraded with higher density cells(300$ cost -FTH POWER-CAli).

Then there are the ridiculously underpowered Fazua/Emotion system equipped ebikes. Those will go to the junkyard very quickly...even Court , the Ebike master himself , seems to agree with this idea.

That's why that BMC or BH makes perfect sense. 3-4k price tag. Can easily be sold , if needed , for 1500$, 2-3years from now, when better , lighter 😉 stuff will be available.

Maybe, a Sub 20lb , 35mph assisted e road bike with 1.5KW battery and 500watts motor in 2-3years from now ? Actually the BMC does 35mph delimited....amazing.

I feel that the other 28mph road ebikes are just overpriced . Trek +HP Domane or Specialized Creo will certainly ,as in 1000% certainty, will be obsolete 2 years from now as in completely new and much better technology will be available at a much lighter weight.

A 9000$ Super-ebike such as the Creo will sell "On sale" for 2799$ in dec. 2021😉. But many people(including me) ,totally understandably , just want it NOOOOOW.
Is too damn sexy-her design, paintjob, not to desire it. It's probaly the Ultimate Toy for an adult or a much younger person too....

I currently have a Spark Mini (20"x4" fat folder) that I love.

It's been perfect for running errands snow or shine, but now that I've done summer and winter riding, a second e-bike better suited to weekend rides (ride 75ish KM on a Friday, and return on Sunday) would be nice.

I'd consider converting my beloved Specialized Sirrus Sport I've pampered for over a decade, but both the forks and the seat stays are carbon fibre, which presents some issues.

Foreground shows my wife's next bike (maybe) with her current one behind it. We'll see if I can make a good ebike out of the Schwinn folder. Don't know. Lots of cheap bits can be upgraded, but I can't find a suspension fork that fits it. Rear hub motor is on its way from China, Hope to have it running by Valentines Day.
View attachment 44114

Another project for myself is my 20" minivello. Front drive 36 volts. 36 pounds. Rides like the wind. Why disturb a good thing? I have a TSDZ2 mid drive that's been in the box for 18 months. Will the motor actually work? Will the torque sensor fail? I was going to put the mid drive on the Schwinn, but I can't have that fail in the field with my wife riding, so I'll have to be the guinea pig.
Dahon just introduced their 2 new folders this week at CABDA West, and one of them has the Tongsheng mid drive. Why do you think it will fail ? I've also installed a number of them and none have failed.

I have a Raleigh Lore, and I love it. But I’m thinking as I get in better shape that I’d like to supplement it with something built a little more like a road bike or gravel bike. Something lighter.
Then again, I’d like to try a little mountain biking, and would like a pure mountain bike.
Oh heck, I’m going to eventually end up with a stable of ebikes, plus one for my fiancée, if I can get him riding.

Oh heck, I’m going to eventually end up with a stable of ebikes, plus one for my fiancée, if I can get him riding.
I'm actually seeing more and more customers do exactly that. They are buying multiple ebikes for specific purposes, rather than trying to find one ebike to do many things. They are all very happy and enthusiastic about this approach, and seem much more relaxed than customers trying to find just one, making that a 'force fit' and not being completely satisfied with the outcome for any one purpose.

Back