What do you use for a Helmet? (Pictures Thread)

FullyCharged

Out of sheer curiosity, what are you guys wearing this season to protect your skull?

I've been wearing this style Bell Helmet for the last 5 years. The modular Chin Bar is a must for my style of riding.

2015 Kryptonite Green Bell Super 2R MIPS with Matte Black Chin Bar.

BellSuper2R.jpg

I use the motorcycle style helmet that came free with my Voltbike Bravo. I would not wear a lower impact rated bicycle helmet on my ebike at the higher speeds I travel...
20200322_211524.jpg

Giro Compound Fixture - mips. Love it. I have to wear a doo-rag under it for my bald head. LOL
(edited for correct model)

Last edited:
I use the motorcycle style helmet that came free with my Voltbike Bravo. I would not wear a lower impact rated bicycle helmet on my ebike at the higher speeds I travel...View attachment 48035
That's true, but even at low speeds, the thing I'm concerned about is a 4,000 lb auto hitting me at it's high velocity. In my motorcycle days, a good Snell approved helmet helped me in an auto/motorcycle collision, but helmets aren't always going to save you. Interesting statistic, in every state in the US that lowered their speed limits on the highways years ago, auto fatalities went up. In every state that enacted mandatory helmets for motorcyclists, their motorcycle fatalities went up. Not sure what this means, but have my own thoughts on it. I don't trust any of the conventional bike helmets because they offer little real protection, especially at the back where the spinal cord injuries would occur.

What do you use?
Wavecel Specter by Bontrager. I actually just crashed with it a couple weeks ago and a) there was zero damage to my head and b) Trek replaced the helmet for free thanks to it's 1 year crash guarantee. I had a previous crash two years before with a Specialized Echelon, a poorly rated helmet for safety, and if I did not get a concussion from the crash, I was certainly dazed and faint after, though the crash was much more head impact heavy. I trust the ratings.

Trek also has the higher rated Rally MIPS helmet on sale for $120 right now, cheaper and rates better than the Specter. This helmet also got a top rating and is only $100.

SCOTT ARX PLUS (CPSC) HELMET

View attachment 48063

A little heavier than I would like, but some of my riding is in areas I might not be found for hours if I crashed or had a health emergency. Brake lights and turn signals are much more visible than the ones integrated on my bike.
How are the stop light and the turn signals activated in that helmet?

Reactions: BET
My wife and I use these Sena helmets:

41wJ5ZZ2TuL._AC_.jpg

We use the bluetooth intercom feature to converse while we ride. They work so well, we bought a third helmet for guests.

The only complaint I have is the small visor (not shown) that comes with the helmet. We often ride early morning & late evening when the sun angle is low. I found an easy fix using this Bell visor which attaches with Velcro:

71AY-3oTgnL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Back