What do you use for a Helmet? (Pictures Thread)

Just to clarify, if the cheap Zefal did it’s job and it looks like it did it well since you’re still posting seemingly coherent sentences 😀, doesn’t that say the different between cheap and expensive helmets is really not that much? Of course there are many variables in a bike crash. It seems like a scientific study is warranted just like testing car crashes with dummies. I wonder if these tests are already done but not made all that public since it would hurt sales of the expensive helmets. If the tests show benefits, one would think these companies would not be shy to share them to push sales.
I certainly would say that the Zefal did it’s job in a 10-15 mph crash on the side of the helmet and I’m very glad I had it on! Note the area I marked on the Zefal Pic below and you can clearly see the significant crack in the styrofoam that shows it absorbed a lot more of the energy than just what the scratched surface would indicate. I’m very glad it did! That said, had I been going 25-30 mph down a steep hill, I’m not sure it would have protected me as well.
Considering that 10 years ago I might not have bothered to even wear a bike helmet out of shear laziness, this incident certainly makes me very glad I already had a better (I assume) MIPS helmet on order that did arrive today.
BTW, I felt my head bounce off the concrete and was immediately VERY GLAD I was wearing a helmet!
130158FD-41CF-4F36-ADE1-334D5B2BA506.jpeg

BTW, the Zefal helmet I bought was purchased at a Walmart and I recall it was in the low $20 range.

I've been shopping helmets and am having a hard time finding any in my size. Some companies list XL or XXL (I'm a 7 3/4-7 7/8) but a lot of them are unavailable or out of stock.

Most of these helmets have exact same interior foam and are probably made my 2 or 3 Chinese manufacturers. Unlike motorcycle helmets, there are little to none urethane comfort Inserts. It’s really a joke. Most helmets also use same chin straps.

if your looking for differentiation, it’s in the exterior design.

I actually bought helmets before I decided on which bikes to buy. I was renting and test riding a bunch of bikes and bought the helmets from a trek store that bent over backwards to help me. I didn't like his bikes, but wanted to buy something from him. Added the mirrors and lights to these mid level bontrager mips helmets in hi vis ugly.20200731_211901.jpg

Last edited:
Gotta love this helmet... Easy Rider lives again. ;)

View attachment 48223
It has that knocked around look .

How are the stop light and the turn signals activated in that helmet?
I have a different Livall helmet. Turn signals and lights activated by remote on handle bar. Can also use app on your phone or buttons on helmet. Mine also has ability to speak to someone with a matching helmet or listen to music, podcasts on phone or answer phone calls via Bluetooth.

It’s really a joke. Most helmets also use same chin straps.

This is exactly what I found when researching for a new helmet. I was looking at one from Giro trying to see what’s different and so special to justify the $150. What shocked me was that the chin strap clip was exactly the same as the magnetic one on my $20 helmet. That’s when it dawned on me that they are all pretty much the same for safety.

Nothing fancy but it has lights front, back and sides which is rechargeable through a USB cable.

Attachments

• 33339C10-FE99-414E-A630-67C704FC6E65.png
    33339C10-FE99-414E-A630-67C704FC6E65.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 314
Basically, if a helmet is tested to meet a safety standard, then they “should” be the same (Duh). The other differences are either cosmetic, additional features, fit, etc. This seems like a reasonable explanation to me.

No. This is like saying if all students are taking a math class pass/fail, students passing have equal knowledge of the math taught. You're confusing a measure with reality, because the measure is (intentionally) vague. I'm guessing the industry was too lazy / didn't care about helmets enough to have more than a mediocre pass fail system.

That's why people should consult the Virginia Tech list.

Price is somewhat correlated with performance, but some of the best are around $100 (use the under $100 filter): https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

Helmets last for decades, properly cared for. Given the cost of medical care, a $100 helmet if you bike a lot (and you should :p) is nothing.

Most of these helmets have exact same interior foam and are probably made my 2 or 3 Chinese manufacturers. Unlike motorcycle helmets, there are little to none urethane comfort Inserts. It’s really a joke. Most helmets also use same chin straps.

Given the safety scores for helmets are all over the map, this is false.

So I come from a motorcycle background. And I just got the Abus 2.0 today And put it on and realized immediately that it was complete trash. There was barely any soft foam On the top, And looking inside the entire interior is a very hard formed foam Which probably is in 90% of all high-end bike helmets.

Now I challenge all of you to put your helmet on, clench your fist, and hit yourself on the side of the head with your palm of their hand, And tell me how that feels with that hard surface ?

I almost knocked myself out Lol. So I found the soft wave cell helmets from Bontrager, and ordered 2. I Believe this makes all these hard cell helmets worthless

The inside tech is most important not your style. Good luck out there protecting the brain.

Last edited:
So I come from a motorcycle background. And I just got the Abus 2.0 today And put it on and realized immediately that it was complete trash. There was barely any soft foam On the top, And looking inside the entire interior is a very hard formed foam Which probably is in 90% of all high-end bike helmets.

Now I challenge all of you to put your helmet on, clench your fist, and hit yourself on the side of the head with your palm of their hand, And tell me how that feels with that hard surface ?

I almost knocked myself out Lol. So I found the soft wave cell helmets from Bontrager, and ordered 2. I Believe this makes all these hard cell helmets worthless

The inside tech is most important not your style. Good luck out there protecting the brain.
Please post the video showing us just how hard you're hitting yourself. Just for our reference, of course.🤔

Do you think that this random cheap hard foam is a serious issue Or not ?::
Having come from a motorcycling background (which is a meaningless point when discussing bicycle helmets) myself you don’t really want to know what I’m thinking about your ‘experiment‘. Having just been through a recent real crash myself, you really don’t want to know what I think of your ‘testing methodology‘ vs real-world either. The Bontrager’s capability is not in question but I note you didn’t appear to hit yourself in the Bontrager helmet with your fist for comparisons sake.

Having come from a motorcycling background (which is a meaningless point when discussing bicycle helmets) myself you don’t really want to know what I’m thinking about your ‘experiment‘. Having just been through a recent real crash myself, you really don’t want to know what I think of your ‘testing methodology‘ vs real-world either. The Bontrager’s capability is not in question but I note you didn’t appear to hit yourself in the Bontrager helmet with your fist for comparisons sake.

No experiment here., and no method.

Ok Dallant

How is any crash meaningless on a bike? tell is about your crash so we can learn.

Back