What do you use for a Helmet? (Pictures Thread)

How are the stop light and the turn signals activated in that helmet?
Brake lights are automatic when the app senses a reduction in speed. Turn signals are activated with a remote attached to the handlebar that is paired with the helmet. Unlike the integrated turn signals on the bike, the helmet has an audible clicking sound so I remember to turn them off after I complete a turn.

Brake lights are automatic when the app senses a reduction in speed. Turn signals are activated with a remote attached to the handlebar that is paired with the helmet. Unlike the integrated turn signals on the bike, the helmet has an audible clicking sound so I remember to turn them off after I complete a turn.
Thank you!

Fox Proframe - great venting & lightweight protection

23310001_2.jpg

Gotta love this helmet... Easy Rider lives again. ;)

1585167589190.png

ABUS Hyban, because it’s a cheap CPSC-certified helmet required by my Markel bicycle insurance policy, previously I use an ABUS Pedelec that was only CEN-certified. I’ve added a Velcro strip for when I remove the visor and use a removable polarized shield (when it's warmer in summer). Recently I added wind noise reducing baffles on the straps that work ok when in winter I wear goggles with the headstrap over the helmet chinstrap pressing them against my head and removing the gap, when they work they do a decent job of taking away wind roar when riding downhill. I wear under the helmet a skull cap in winter and a cotton doo-rag in summer.

18647FFF-DFBE-4691-AA5B-FD86F429230D.jpeg

Last edited:
I have a $20 dollar bike helmet bought from Costco. Do more expensive ones really make a difference in safety? I can understand the extra features and certifications that justify the higher price. But we’re talking about some of these helmets costing 10x. And yes, 10x is still better than brain damage. Just wondering if investing in a more expensive helmet makes a worthy difference over the $20 one.

Last edited:
From a 2008 study:

It is shown that action to make the wearing of a bicycle helmet compulsory was a response to fear of death and chronic disability from brain injury, and it was taken at a time when cycling was increasing and the risk of casualty was falling. It appears that governments did not verify the efficacy of helmets and disregarded research which found that they can increase brain injury. After the legislation was introduced, rates of cycling declined sharply with loss of benefits for health, but the risk of casualty increased.

Conclusions: Compulsion to wear a bicycle helmet is detrimental to public health in Australia.

But I digress. It's the law here, so I do what I'm told and wear a bog standard Lazer. In my 35 years of on and off cycling I've fallen a few times but never on my noggin, touch wood.

Just to clarify, if the cheap Zefal did it’s job and it looks like it did it well since you’re still posting seemingly coherent sentences 😀, doesn’t that say the different between cheap and expensive helmets is really not that much? Of course there are many variables in a bike crash. It seems like a scientific study is warranted just like testing car crashes with dummies. I wonder if these tests are already done but not made all that public since it would hurt sales of the expensive helmets. If the tests show benefits, one would think these companies would not be shy to share them to push sales.

Here’s a video explaining difference between chap and expensive helmets:

Basically, if a helmet is tested to meet a safety standard, then they “should” be the same (Duh). The other differences are either cosmetic, additional features, fit, etc. This seems like a reasonable explanation to me.

I have a $20 dollar bike helmet bought from Costco. Do more expensive ones really make a difference in safety? I can understand the extra features and certifications that justify the higher price. But we’re talking about some of these helmets costing 10x. And yes, 10x is still better than brain damage. Just wondering if investing in a more expensive helmet makes a worthy difference over the $20 one.
I have heard: spend $1.00 for every point in your IQ.

Back