Vado 5.0 IGH versus Tero 5.0 (EQ pack)

Region
United Kingdom
Hello all,

‘Hat in hand’ to re-introduce this age old discussion.

A brief intro - I’m a new joiner to this group but have been reading the threads for a short while. I’m looking to a bike to solve my short commute (sometimes with a 3/4yr old) and address fitness needs (mid-forties, sedentary job blah blah) since my car got stolen last year - sign from above!

The thrill of the chase has lead me to test riding gazelles in the city centre, driving an hour away to visit a R&M showroom and take trains to visit a shop (one of two in the UK with a Tero 5.0 in stock)! In depth Tero and automatic Como/Vado IGH reviews not as many around (not at Cort’s level).

I have however narrowed it down to the Vado 5.0 IGH and Tero 5.0 (having closely looked at the Vado SL 5.0 EQ, Como IGH and Tero 4.0 IGH - sorry EQ).

Vado 5.0 IGH - meeting my req of
- low maintenance
- power to tow child up a hill
But
- teething IGH problems?
- no manual gearing

Tero 5.0 - meeting the req of
- colour not black (!)
- sucked in by marketing of commuter that goes off road (seemingly kills two birds)
- power to tow child up a hill
But
- chain maintenance
- forking even more for EQ pack

Of course the middle ground on price and all-rounder is the Tero 4.0 EQ I will go revisit that later.

My LBS (franchise Specialized dealer) is 2min walk away and their service experience in dealing with IGH (esp automatic) is not that extensive - that can be interpreted both ways. Not many issues with IGH or not many owners of IGH locally. So if I did have an issue with an IGH they may struggle. I live in suburbia in the UK with a couple of ups and downs on my work commute right next to some woods (with alternative trail option to work).

Thanks to @Stefan Mikes @GuruUno @dynamic and many others already for sharing their invaluable experiences.

It’s crunch time, and I need to make a decision on Monday. I’m very aware that I am in a very fortunate position to be able to consider such expensive bikes (though my son’s daycare costs are rising in April, again). But I am buying through a government scheme to soften the blow a little. Buying separate bikes for separate purposes would be lovely but I don’t have those means (especially having forked out on a new secure metal bike shed to deter the burglars)!

Thanks to all and any for sharing - I guess a few of us have gone through this dilemma already and your insights after committing will be tremendously helpful.

Cheers

Last edited:
@DeepintheShires,
No experience here with:
  • Towing a kid
  • IGH
And I have never heard of Tero IGH :) At least such an e-bike is not listed at Specialized UK site.

Questions:
  • The commute distance?
  • Undulating terrain? How steep your hills are?
  • Are the trails around you relatively easy?
I would say:
  • Version 5 has a powerful motor. This is an asset! (Towing a kid).
  • Both versions 4 and 5 have the large battery.
  • The gearing of Tero is made for hills but might slow you down on the commute (a small chainring will require a higher cadence)
  • The major difference between Vado and Tero is the latter has a longer fork travel. Do you really need a 100 mm travel fork?
I am all for chain/derailleur. Maintenance, yes. However, the chain/derailleur system has been perfectly known for many years, is efficient and does not bring any element of surprise.

Have you just considered a Vado 5.0 non-IGH?

1677320558144.png

I regularly ride in forests on a Vado 6.0 that has the fork similar to Vado 5.0 and I do not suffer at all! (My Vado not pictured here).

Last edited:
Thanks Stefan- I was pretty sure you would have an early impact on my thread.

Yes, the Tero 4.0 EQ is what I meant - not IGH.

-Commute distance - 3miles 😅 round trip to daycare and then work 6miles

-Hills - short run at 10% then longer run .5 miles on 5% incline (done with Tero 3.0 and felt ok on turbo).

-Trails around relatively easy

Probably don’t need a huge fork as I will be on tarmac for 75% of the time.

What is the Vado 6.0?

What is the Vado 6.0?
Vado 6.0 is a Euro 45 km/h (28 mph) L1e-B class "moped" based on Gen 1 technology. Requires a driving license, registration, insurance, MOT, (and wearing a motorcycle helmet in the UK). Not for you! :)

Your commute would be really short. 10% short incline? Both Vado and Tero 5.0 can do it easily! Choose either your heart dictates! The one that you would be proud to ride everyday! The one at which you would like to look at! And... chain/derailleur. At least Guru was infuriated with the IGH but is very happy with the chain Vado 5.0.

The biggest asset you have is the Specialized store just 2 minutes walk from your home. Mine is 40 miles round trip (I typically ride one of my e-bikes to get there!)

Last edited:
I’ve had my Vado 5.0 since September, best bike I’ve ever been on, the IGH has been great for me, don’t even think about it anymore, I just get on and ride, you give yourself time to get adjusted to the auto shift and give the IGH at least a brief time to get seated. I get the feeling on the forum the people get on the bike new, put it in turbo, for me that’s not what the auto shift is about, very comfortable bike, you will like the air fork, especially with a load, stable at any speed.

@DeepintheShires,
No experience here with:
  • Towing a kid
  • IGH
And I have never heard of Tero IGH :) At least such an e-bike is not listed at Specialized UK site.

Questions:
  • The commute distance?
  • Undulating terrain? How steep your hills are?
  • Are the trails around you relatively easy?
I would say:
  • Version 5 has a powerful motor. This is an asset! (Towing a kid).
  • Both versions 4 and 5 have the large battery.
  • The gearing of Tero is made for hills but might slow you down on the commute (a small chainring will require a higher cadence)
  • The major difference between Vado and Tero is the latter has a longer fork travel. Do you really need a 100 mm travel fork?
I am all for chain/derailleur. Maintenance, yes. However, the chain/derailleur system has been perfectly known for many years, is efficient and does not bring any element of surprise.

Have you just considered a Vado 5.0 non-IGH?

View attachment 147743
I regularly ride in forests on a Vado 6.0 that has the fork similar to Vado 5.0 and I do not suffer at all! (My Vado not pictured here).
Being part of a group, riding around forests looks idyllic 👍🏽 Nice break from the everyday!

Vado 6.0 is a Euro 45 km/h (28 mph) L1e-B class "moped" based on Gen 1 technology. Requires a driving license, registration, insurance, MOT, (and wearing a motorcycle helmet in the UK). Not for you! :)

Your commute would be really short. 10% short incline? Both Vado and Tero 5.0 can do it easily! Choose either your heart dictates! The one that you would be proud to ride everyday! The one at which you would like to look at! And... chain/derailleur. At least Guru was infuriated with the IGH but is very happy with the chain Vado 5.0.

The biggest asset you have is the Specialized store just 2 minutes walk from your home. Mine is 40 miles round trip (I typically ride one of my e-bikes to get there!)
Think you’ve got the nail on the head - my search started with belt drive as a low maintenance primary objective, then I found and rode the Tero 5.0 - my mistake. Now my head and my heart are choosing different options.

The Vado 6.0 is definitely not in my shopping list. Sounds like a beast with added regulations! I’m still gutted the UK limit is 15.5mph assist!

I’ve had my Vado 5.0 since September, best bike I’ve ever been on, the IGH has been great for me, don’t even think about it anymore, I just get on and ride, you give yourself time to get adjusted to the auto shift and give the IGH at least a brief time to get seated. I get the feeling on the forum the people get on the bike new, put it in turbo, for me that’s not what the auto shift is about, very comfortable bike, you will like the air fork, especially with a load, stable at any speed.
Thanks @rarobo - it’s nice to hear positive things about the 5.0 Igh because the negatives usually get amplified (human nature). My aim is to ride whatever bike I get without assist most of the time so it helps improve fitness. What is the Igh auto like without power? Too heavy?

From a Tero owner‘s perspective I don’t think you’d benefit from the slightly greater trail capability, you’d want to add the EQ kit, and you’d probably end up changing the gearing to meet the requirements of street/commute riding. I’m glad I bought the Tero but I ride trails and rough dirt/gravel roads that justify more fork travel and off road tires.

The 29’s go with the factory gearing and provide a little more off road capability, but are of questionable benefit on this bike, and make it that much bigger/bulkier. You’ll also never need a dropper and will probably enjoy the benefit of a suspension seat post. I’m adding a PNW suspension dropper to gain a little more riding comfort without losing the dropper capability.

I added the EQ kit, changed the gearing, had it upgraded to Class 3, and added a Garmin Varia and a mirror so I could ride roads with traffic more comfortably. My riding is just unique enough for a Tero to be a good fit (after around $800 in mods), but its somewhat a worst of both worlds bike. It’s limited as a mountain bike and in OE trim, wouldn’t be that great for commuting either.

Last edited:
From a Tero owner‘s perspective I don’t think you’d benefit from the slightly greater trail capability, you’d want to add the EQ kit, and you’d probably end up changing the gearing to meet the requirements of street/commute riding. I’m glad I bought the Tero but I ride trails and rough dirt/gravel roads that justify more fork travel and off road tires.

The 29’s go with the factory gearing and provide a little more off road capability, but are of questionable benefit on this bike, and make it that much bigger/bulkier. You’ll also never need a dropper and will probably enjoy the benefit of a suspension seat post. I’m adding a PNW suspension dropper to gain a little more riding comfort without losing the dropper capability.

I added the EQ kit, changed the gearing, had it upgraded to Class 3, and added a Garmin Varia and a mirror so I could ride roads with traffic more comfortably. My riding is just unique enough for a Tero to be a good fit (after around $800 in mods), but its somewhat a worst of both worlds bike. It’s limited as a mountain bike and in OE trim, wouldn’t be that great for commuting either.
Thanks @Rich W. Really good to have a Tero owner’s perspective - duely noted!

I’m adding a PNW suspension dropper to gain a little more riding comfort without losing the dropper capability.
Please do not make this mistake. The PNW is badly designed and does not actually work as intended. It was tried by me, my cousin and @RandallS: Nobody liked it!

P.S. The issue with the PNW suspension dropper seat-post is it does not translate the vertical movements of the rider's body into the angled action necessary for the suspension to work.

Please do not make this mistake. The PNW is badly designed and does not actually work as intended. It was tried by me, my cousin and @RandallS: Nobody liked it!

P.S. The issue with the PNW suspension dropper seat-post is it does not translate the vertical movements of the rider's body into the angled action necessary for the suspension to work.
Well its already ordered, probably already delivered to my PO box by now so I’ll give it a try. I bought it through Amazon (and on sale) so easy returns if I don't like it. There really isn’t any other choice to add a little suspension while maintaining my drop capability and I like that and use it frequently. And for those longer rides on bumpy roads I can probably adjust my position/riding posture to take advantage of the suspension. if not, back it goes. I considered buying a suspension seat post such as Redshift and mating the suspension seat mount to a dropper, but it would cost a lot more and might end up just wasting both parts. The PNW offering was $30 off and is a simple approach, and I don’t need that much cushioning anyway. I can see how the geometry is off a bit and it might end up working against itself, but I’ll see how it works.

Thanks @rarobo - it’s nice to hear positive things about the 5.0 Igh because the negatives usually get amplified (human nature). My aim is to ride whatever bike I get without assist most of the time so it helps improve fitness. What is the Igh auto like without power? Too heavy?
The bike is 56 lbs with the battery and the hybrid tires make it harder to ride without assist, on crowded trails I tune the eco mode to 5 percent, that helps me with control and low power feel

@Rich W. like you, I expected to be changing the dropper post on the Tero. But during my test ride in the city traffic I ended up using it more than expected at stop and start sections and on getting on/off. May also handy on mounting with a childseat insitu.

@Stefan Mikes - completely understand your issue with the angle of the suspension. I’m guessing there are numerous threads already on the perfect combo suspension dropper posts so won’t open that can here. Guess @Rich W. will be letting us know in due course what he thinks of his - each to their own.

@rarobo thanks for the info - tuning down eco is a good tip! Looking forward to the micro adjustments and customisation.

To be honest, I liked it, but I wanted more suspension.
So I bought a new FS bike...

I think the PNW is fine for pathways and smooth trails as the dropper function works well and I will likely never own a bike without a dropper post ever again.
Balancing in tiptoes isn't my idea of a good time when riding.

My $0.02

I came across this image posted over at the emtb forum and wondered if anyone has heard any whisperings about a FS Tero? I personally couldn’t find anything related to it on Spec’d site.

1677347123900.png

Back