Trek Pedal recall - if you have the plastic pedals read this

Talked with my Trek guy and his response was that SOME folks who installed these did not torque them and SOME folks were injured when those pedals fell off. As far as I (or he) can tell, there’s really nothing wrong with the pedals. I had already changed my pedals out last summer and will likely keep the old ones as I hear the replacement pedals are definitely crappier than the originals. Same with my wife’s Allant+7 Lowstep.
This is a classic lawyer-driven “campaign” designed to prevent lawsuits.
In my humble opinion, there must be something more to this issue or else Trek would have issued a recall campaign to only have these pedals examined or adjusted (i.e., torqued again) without replacing them and without giving a $20 credit. There must be some deeper issue with this more costly expenditure for Trek. Or it could be what I stated in post #2 from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission provided: Trek has received 132 reports of the recalled pedals loosening, locking up or falling off, including seven reports of riders falling and experiencing injuries, including scrapes, bruises and road rash. That's around 316,500 units the US and an additional 28,650 units in Canada, which were installed as original equipment on Trek “Allant+,” “Dual Sport+,” “FX 2,” “FX 3,” “Verve 2,” “Verve 3,” and “Verve+” model bicycles with ZTR02 stamped on the bicycle’s pedal. I agree with you, Dallant. It could be to head off any further(?) lawsuits. Or it could be that Trek is going above and beyond to show goodwill and to show that they care about our collective safety.

In my humble opinion, there must be something more to this issue or else Trek would have issued a recall campaign to only have these pedals examined or adjusted (i.e., torqued again) without replacing them and without giving a $20 credit. There must be some deeper issue with this more costly expenditure for Trek. Or it could be what I stated in post #2 from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission provided: Trek has received 132 reports of the recalled pedals loosening, locking up or falling off, including seven reports of riders falling and experiencing injuries, including scrapes, bruises and road rash. That's around 316,500 units the US and an additional 28,650 units in Canada, which were installed as original equipment on Trek “Allant+,” “Dual Sport+,” “FX 2,” “FX 3,” “Verve 2,” “Verve 3,” and “Verve+” model bicycles with ZTR02 stamped on the bicycle’s pedal. I agree with you, Dallant. It could be to head off any further(?) lawsuits. Or it could be that Trek is going above and beyond to show goodwill and to show that they care about our collective safety.
Just repeating what I’ve heard so far. I‘m very curious what pedals they will replace them with. I am happy they seem to be doing something about it, though I’ve got two totally problem-free sets of these pedals.
I’d like to see then use these as a substitute:

It's interesting to note what has not been said. A few years ago, some Bontrager (Trek) pedals were recalled because the spindle was breaking. Now that's a serious problem, and they did NOT say that was happening now.

Anyone know what the big deal is here? Pedals coming loose? Easy enough to tighten with a pedal wrench. Sure they "should" be torqued with a torque wrench, but how many folks do that? Besides, by design, they should tighten with use, not loosen.

What am I not understanding here?
The description from Trek seems to be their concern that since the recalled pedals only have an internal hex (to use an Allen Key) to tighten them, and don't have external wrench flats, you can't use a crowfoot adapter on a torque wrench to install them. You'd have to have a torque wrench with a hex that can torque in both directions - which would be a specialty tool. A torque wrench with a crowfoot you can just flip over for the LH-threaded pedal.

Their concern is thus likely that most bike shops will simply tighten them by hand and say "good enough", and since there is variation in people's abilities to correctly judge torque, as a legal precaution they want them all yanked (and presumably replaced with pedals that have wrench flats).

Went to the LBS today where I bought my Trek, for the warranty replacement. Looks like the same pedals, now that I'm home. They mentioned nothing about a choice of pedals or a credit. Have I been hosed? And this is a Trek owned store....

Back