Trek Pedal Recall

I gave these pedals to a friend. Now, I need to warn her and swap the gift with another one.

I have pelals that look the same but don't have the serial number on them. So looks like I don't have a problem, except for so-so pedals.

These pedals seem to be designed more for a beach cruiser used barefoot.

Bought aftermarket in a TREK store. Interestingly, these have no "ZTRO2" moulded on them. Perhaps the 2019 release was made better.
Mine (from my 2020 Allant+7) do have the brand. My Trek dealer evidently hasn’t read the recall well, as they said it was only for aftermarket sales whereas the recall clearly states it’s good for either bought aftermarket or original equipment that came with the bikes.

Does anyone know what replacement pedals Trek is using? Has anyone upgraded to something other than what the replacement is?

For the price of the Trek bikes they should come with good pedals and not ones that require a special torque tool to mount properly. This is a poor design that was passed along by Trek to its customers. I hope they learn from their mistake and are not such cheapskates going forward - one can hope.

For the price of the Trek bikes they should come with good pedals and not ones that require a special torque tool to mount properly. This is a poor design that was passed along by Trek to its customers. I hope they learn from their mistake and are not such cheapskates going forward - one can hope.
The irony is the most expensive bikes and e-bikes come without pedals at all. Because pedals are the most personal item for any enthusiast cyclist.

I have pelals that look the same but don't have the serial number on them. So looks like I don't have a problem, except for so-so pedals.

These pedals seem to be designed more for a beach cruiser used barefoot.
Look closely, its hard to see. I'm not too worried about mine. I let them swap them out when take it in for the checkup and software update.

Attachments

• 20210529_112837.jpg
    20210529_112837.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 186
We have a Verve 2 and a Verve 3, purchased last fall at Landry’s in Newton Mass. The Verve 2 pedals were swapped a couple weeks ago and I was told at the time by the employee that I would have a $20 credit on my account to spend on “anything in the store”.

I decided to wait until they had more pedals, as they said they could not swap out the other bike yet.

Yesterday we received an email that they had more pedals so I brought the Verve 3 in. The first guy scratched the crank arm trying to remove the Bontrager pedal when the allen wrench slipped. He gave up and I waited for another mechanic. When I asked about the $20 (now $40) he insisted that it was to pay for the replacement pedals. I showed the email that clearly states “in addition” but he just repeats that it is to cover the replacement pedals and that he has no authority or knowledge. I saw on the box of the new pedals that they cost $15.

I go to the front of the store and get the same response, that the $20 is to pay for the new pedals. Again I show the email and again I get the same response. He goes to a back room to get the “acting manager” who says the same thing. I would not back down and finally they agree to $20 that has to be used TODAY. Even though the email from Trek states good through December. I say I want $40 so he goes to “research our account”. When the acting manager returns he has another set of cheap pedals and says because I wanted it on the spot that is why the $20 is to go towards the replacement. If I was willing to wait for the Trek pedals… Then they go ahead and replace the pedals again and the mechanic asks me if I want the previous replacements. I say sure.

Then they finally agree to a $40 credit, but “it’s a coupon not a credit”. 🙄 Previously I had referred to it as a coupon and was told “it’s not a coupon, it’s a credit”. I grab a $39.99 Bontrager handlebar bag, pay the $2.49 tax and leave, never to return again.

The end. Except that I will be replacing pedals again but not from this store.

Landry’s in Newton, Massachusetts

How they treated you and the entire situation are some pretty bad and irresponsible customer service. They should be ashamed of themselves. I hope you report them to Trek Bike's Corporate Customer Services (at (800) 585-8735) to let them know how difficult they were, especially since you bought two Trek bikes at this shop. Ask customer service to have the District Manager to contact you about this as well to get more closure on this rotten treatment, how this store's personnel refused to accept the evidence, how they failed to take responsibility for scratching the crank arm, how they engaged you in a deceptive game-playing you had to endure, and how they lied about a supposed fee to research our account.

My Trek bike shop (corporate owned) gave me $20 credit for the recalled pedals (since I ordered new Look Trail Grip Pedals from REI instead of getting their replacements) plus the additional $20 as a credit. That's $40 credit in all to apply to anything in the store. Even though the original pedals were selling for $29.99, corporate confirmed that the store could only give a $20 credit for the recalled pedals, which still remains a mystery to me. In any case, I have a $40 credit to use when my chain needs to be replaced.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Thank you. I think I will contact Trek. I actually tried calling them while I was waiting in the store but the connection was bad and we couldn’t hear each other.

Linda

Back