Trek Pedal Recall

I have pelals that look the same but don't have the serial number on them. So looks like I don't have a problem, except for so-so pedals.

These pedals seem to be designed more for a beach cruiser used barefoot.
Try taking another look. The number may be hidden on the side of the pedals closest to the crank. It's stamped in the same color as the pedal.

Mine (from my 2020 Allant+7) do have the brand. My Trek dealer evidently hasn’t read the recall well, as they said it was only for aftermarket sales whereas the recall clearly states it’s good for either bought aftermarket or original equipment that came with the bikes.
Yes, they are definitely all covered as long as they are within the model listed. I work at shop that sells Trek and Specialized. There was no info or warning given to shops "before hand" about this ridiculous torque wrench installation requirement. However, it's quite understandable as to why a torque wrench is mentioned because they are somewhat of a challenge for many builders/mechanics to get tightened properly...as are all pedals that use the allen head, inline with the spindle design. Impossible to get properly tightened?...of course not. But they suck in comparison to the traditional pedal wrench to the 90 degree to spindle design. Most people have no issue getting the 90 degree design tight. IMO no bicycle pedal should come with the inline, allen head pedal except for high end road bike pedals...and maybe some high end, MTB, XC racer types who are really just roadies on dirt...LOL! But seriously, this inline, allen head design has always required good technique for proper, safe installation. The leverage just isn't there for many folks to get properly installed, hence the liability of a pedal falling off.

I’ve been told by my Trek guy that these pedals “should be fine” if properly installed at initial set up. I haven’t attempted to turn mine in for any credit yet. I changed mine out to a grippier pedal early on so the originals are sitting in a box.

I have 2 treks and My Vado has a real similar pedal on it . There's nothing wrong with the pedal . I bet that someone who didn't know the threads are reversed on the Left pedal . Forced them on the wrong way . Someone's ended up falling off . If you read the letter it says the pedals require a Multidirectional Torque wrench to be secured properly . That's the disclaimer they needed to put . After All any pedal I ever had when installed the right way . Got Tighter from Riding .
I actually like these pedals on My Vado .

I’ve been told by my Trek guy that these pedals “should be fine” if properly installed at initial set up. I haven’t attempted to turn mine in for any credit yet. I changed mine out to a grippier pedal early on so the originals are sitting in a box.
Yeah I agree . Bet you money someone installed the Left Pedal wrong . Stripped the Threads on the crank arm . So the thing fell off . And someone decided to sue . When it wasn't the Pedal . It was some bike Shop person who didn't know the left pedal goes backwards with reversed threads . I doubt most riders even know this unless they have a reason to find out

We have a Verve 2 and a Verve 3, purchased last fall at Landry’s in Newton Mass. The Verve 2 pedals were swapped a couple weeks ago and I was told at the time by the employee that I would have a $20 credit on my account to spend on “anything in the store”.

I decided to wait until they had more pedals, as they said they could not swap out the other bike yet.

Yesterday we received an email that they had more pedals so I brought the Verve 3 in. The first guy scratched the crank arm trying to remove the Bontrager pedal when the allen wrench slipped. He gave up and I waited for another mechanic. When I asked about the $20 (now $40) he insisted that it was to pay for the replacement pedals. I showed the email that clearly states “in addition” but he just repeats that it is to cover the replacement pedals and that he has no authority or knowledge. I saw on the box of the new pedals that they cost $15.

I go to the front of the store and get the same response, that the $20 is to pay for the new pedals. Again I show the email and again I get the same response. He goes to a back room to get the “acting manager” who says the same thing. I would not back down and finally they agree to $20 that has to be used TODAY. Even though the email from Trek states good through December. I say I want $40 so he goes to “research our account”. When the acting manager returns he has another set of cheap pedals and says because I wanted it on the spot that is why the $20 is to go towards the replacement. If I was willing to wait for the Trek pedals… Then they go ahead and replace the pedals again and the mechanic asks me if I want the previous replacements. I say sure.

Then they finally agree to a $40 credit, but “it’s a coupon not a credit”. 🙄 Previously I had referred to it as a coupon and was told “it’s not a coupon, it’s a credit”. I grab a $39.99 Bontrager handlebar bag, pay the $2.49 tax and leave, never to return again.

The end. Except that I will be replacing pedals again but not from this store.

Landry’s in Newton, Massachusetts
Good on you for outing LANDRY'S in NEWTON, MASS for the lousy customer service jerks they revealed themselves to be.

Our local Bellingham, Washington Trek store which is just that, a Trek corporate store, could not be more customer service oriented. Great bunch of guys there, out front on the floor as well as back in the shop, always eager to help.

I sent this note to my local Trek store an hour ago:

“Pedal recall:

Just want to register my annoyance with your shop. I dropped in today with a pair of Circuit City pedals which have been recalled. I have already replaced them on my Verve + 3 (which I bought there just over a year ago) with a pair of Blackspire pedals. It’s an hour and 20 minute drive each way from Grand Bend.

Here’s what the recall notice states: “In addition, when you bring your recalled pedals to a Trek retailer for replacement, Trek will give you an in-store credit of $26 to use toward any Trek or Bontrager merchandise. The credit is good through December 31, 2021 and has no cash value.”

It didn’t say, as I was told when I presented the pedals, that I had to bring the entire bike in for photographing of the serial numbers, all of which will be on file at your store. The owner refused to take my pedals or details, insisting that the only way this could be done was for me to return with the entire bike. As I have to partly disassemble it to get it into my car, it’s hardly worth the effort. Or the cost of the drive in time and fuel. I have now discarded the pedals.

I have spent easily over $5000 in your shop in the past year, and this is not the first time I have received a flippant response to a reasonable after-sales enquiry. Usually, the service is quite good at your shop, but when it isn’t, it’s appalling.”

Still have t got word of this officially. I put the pedals on a different bike for my wife.Last time at the store I said i wouldn’t be back, rode the bike once and put it away. all knowing service manager with condending attitudes, not a Trek corp store…been a couple months now, storing to sell for when I get my new bikes in now a couple weeks I hope.

Last edited:
Well, my right pedal flew off after turning a corner coming back home. Thank heavens I was going slow and wasn't on the steep hill when it happened. I stayed upright at least, lol! However, neither my lbs nor the Trek bike store in the Seattle metro area notified me of it. A friend of mine who rides an Allant +7 like mine was the one that told me. Two weeks later, the notice arrived. Sheeeeeshhhh!

Well, my right pedal flew off after turning a corner coming back home. Thank heavens I was going slow and wasn't on the steep hill when it happened. I stayed upright at least, lol! However, neither my lbs nor the Trek bike store in the Seattle metro area notified me of it. A friend of mine who rides an Allant +7 like mine was the one that told me. Two weeks later, the notice arrived. Sheeeeeshhhh!
So your pedal came off today and you hadn't heard about it till today? How long have you been riding your bike?

I sent this note to my local Trek store an hour ago:

“Pedal recall:

Just want to register my annoyance with your shop. I dropped in today with a pair of Circuit City pedals which have been recalled. I have already replaced them on my Verve + 3 (which I bought there just over a year ago) with a pair of Blackspire pedals. It’s an hour and 20 minute drive each way from Grand Bend.

Here’s what the recall notice states: “In addition, when you bring your recalled pedals to a Trek retailer for replacement, Trek will give you an in-store credit of $26 to use toward any Trek or Bontrager merchandise. The credit is good through December 31, 2021 and has no cash value.”

It didn’t say, as I was told when I presented the pedals, that I had to bring the entire bike in for photographing of the serial numbers, all of which will be on file at your store. The owner refused to take my pedals or details, insisting that the only way this could be done was for me to return with the entire bike. As I have to partly disassemble it to get it into my car, it’s hardly worth the effort. Or the cost of the drive in time and fuel. I have now discarded the pedals.

I have spent easily over $5000 in your shop in the past year, and this is not the first time I have received a flippant response to a reasonable after-sales enquiry. Usually, the service is quite good at your shop, but when it isn’t, it’s appalling.”
Usually the service is very good at Trek stores.
I called my Lbs and they said: Remove the original pedals and bring them to the store after they give me a $26.00 credit on new Stamp 1 pedals.

I recieved a congrats on my birthday of purchasing the bike but still no pedal recall notice

I recieved a congrats on my birthday of purchasing the bike but still no pedal recall notice
You dont need to receive the notice just type: Trek Satellite pedal recall and print the form

Thx, I know I find it interesting i haven’t been notified. I am not happy Trek/Bosch customer and it continues with tricks such as this

OEM pedals are bottom of the barrel garbage and should be the first thing, followed by a new saddle and grips, to be replaced by any new bicycle owner.

With my Specialized Fatboy, I noted a very loud knocking noise coming from what I thought was my bottom bracket, which happens to be one of those built-in failed components waiting to happen with Specialized and that particular bike. On one long ride, as the day got hot, the knock returned as it always did on a long ride in hot weather. Even stopped in a bike shop and had the owner give a test spin to see if he could isolate the knock. He could not. It turned out to be the chineseium bearings on the pedal shaft, heating up and failing.

Any AutoZone or similar auto parts store will have a metric 3/8" drive hex head socket set and combined with your 3/8" drive ratchet, you too can install the socket drive style pedal shafts onto your own bike. No bi-directional horse phlooey torque wrench needed, either. Just some common sense not to overtighten it (if you really want to do a great job, use some anti-seize paste on the pedal threads. Your aluminum crank arms will thank you) and about some 25 ft pounds of torque or so will do you.

OEM pedals are bottom of the barrel garbage and should be the first thing, followed by a new saddle and grips, to be replaced by any new bicycle owner.

With my Specialized Fatboy, I noted a very loud knocking noise coming from what I thought was my bottom bracket, which happens to be one of those built-in failed components waiting to happen with Specialized and that particular bike. On one long ride, as the day got hot, the knock returned as it always did on a long ride in hot weather. Even stopped in a bike shop and had the owner give a test spin to see if he could isolate the knock. He could not. It turned out to be the chineseium bearings on the pedal shaft, heating up and failing.

Any AutoZone or similar auto parts store will have a metric 3/8" drive hex head socket set and combined with your 3/8" drive ratchet, you too can install the socket drive style pedal shafts onto your own bike. No bi-directional horse phlooey torque wrench needed, either. Just some common sense not to overtighten it (if you really want to do a great job, use some anti-seize paste on the pedal threads. Your aluminum crank arms will thank you) and about some 25 ft pounds of torque or so will do you.
I bought some Meetlock pedals to replace my cheap OEMs and one broke after riding no more than a block! Pedal axle fractured! What pedals would you recommend? I don't want the ones that have clips. Thanks.

Back