Chris_x

Hi guys!

I don’t have much experience on bikes, I’m kinda new to all of this. Got a Voltbike Mariner a month ago and yesterday I got a flat tire, a tiny nail punctured it. -_-

What should I do? Just replace the tube? Or do I need to get a new tire too?

Can I patch the tire? How?

Here is the photo of the situation lol

Thanks for your help!

86CE4FE4-542A-488F-8E19-A4AC3C92CCC8.jpeg
F119C5BF-CEDF-4579-B1D7-34FD3167C8E5.jpeg
5C42002C-9797-4F9F-982A-283E92CBCE2B.jpeg

Just patch the tube, you don't have to do anything to the tire. Cleanliness is the key to a good tube repair. They use a mold release on the rubber, and that keeps the patch from sticking. Plenty of videos on youtube for video help.

Just patch the tube, you don't have to do anything to the tire. Cleanliness is the key to a good tube repair. They use a mold release on the rubber, and that keeps the patch from sticking. Plenty of videos on youtube for video help.
Cool, ok I’ll check how to patch it
Thanks!

I'd like to suggest that you consider upgrading to a thicker tube (thorn resistant) and add a tire liner like Mr. Tuffy or other brand to reduce the chance of another flat. Tire liners help deflect glass, nails, goat head stickers and the like from ever getting to the tube. A little added weight which amounts to nothing on an ebike and are inexpensive ways to spend less time dealing with another flat.

Mr Tuffy tire liner.jpg
TR tube.jpg

I have a Radrover with Kenda 4" fat tires. You would have the same flat with that type of nail even with Mr. Tuffy liners. Mr. Tuffy does a good job by adding additional thickness to help keep shorter sharp objects from reaching the tube. I still had to add Stans tire sealant because I was still getting flats from goatheads. The combo of Mr. Tuffy and Stans worked to eliminate goathead type flats (I still had wet spots on the tires from the Stans working a few times a week). I still had to remove the tires and tubes every few months to pull out the goathead stickers that broken off and the thorns were sticking out from the inside of the tires. I even had a few goat heads broken off in the Mr Tuffy liners barely touching the tube.

The kit I liked the best was at Ace Hardware for $2.47 USD. It came with soft round patches of various sizes. I had a tear in my fatbike tube that was almost an inch long. It was so big that I finessed a patch on the inside of the tube and managed to align it. Then I added one on the outside. OK, these tires are only 15 PSI, but it's worked fine.

Bike shops got patch kits too.

The kit I liked the best was at Ace Hardware for $2.47 USD. It came with soft round patches of various sizes. I had a tear in my fatbike tube that was almost an inch long. It was so big that I finessed a patch on the inside of the tube and managed to align it. Then I added one on the outside. OK, these tires are only 15 PSI, but it's worked fine.

Bike shops got patch kits too.

Cool, I’ll look for that brand to have the patches handy too, thanks for the info!

Back