2022 Vado - Flat tire while on kickstand

Region
USA
I just got my second flat tire since getting the bike last fall, both undetected until I find my bike laying down on the floor of my garage. Apparently, a flat tire in the back will cause the bike to fall while on kickstand.
Makes me rethink how to store my bike, do you guys not use the kickstand when storing the bike in your garage?

I just got my second flat tire since getting the bike last fall, both undetected until I find my bike laying down on the floor of my garage. Apparently, a flat tire in the back will cause the bike to fall while on kickstand.
Makes me rethink how to store my bike, do you guys not use the kickstand when storing the bike in your garage?
That must have been an individual and isolated case. It does not normally happen. If you are concerned, you might remove the battery from your Vado and store the e-bike upside down (standing on the handlebars and the saddle). The only weak point here could be the display; my Vado is equipped with Ergon GP2 bar-ends and SQlab Innebarends, and these raise the handlebars so the display is safe in the rotated position when standing on the ground. You also could support the bars of the rotated bike on pieces of styrofoam to protect the display.

That must have been an individual and isolated case. It does not normally happen. If you are concerned, you might remove the battery from your Vado and store the e-bike upside down (standing on the handlebars and the saddle). The only weak point here could be the display; my Vado is equipped with Ergon GP2 bar-ends and SQlab Innebarends, and these raise the handlebars so the display is safe in the rotated position when standing on the ground. You also could support the bars of the rotated bike on pieces of styrofoam to protect the display.

unless your brakes are brand new, or freshly bled, storing them upside down is not a good idea. the small amount of air that appears in the system as the pads wear will end up in the pistons, not the reservoir.

unless your brakes are brand new, or freshly bled, storing them upside down is not a good idea. the small amount of air that appears in the system as the pads wear will end up in the pistons, not the reservoir.
A good point! Perhaps a work-stand would be a better idea?

Timely post, given that I’m about to move my bike to the garage in the next couple days… (It’s not a Vado).

I’m trying to understand the physics of what you’re describing. The Vado has a rear kickstand rather than mid-mounted kickstand, yes? Even if so, I’m having trouble picture why a flat rear tire would necessarily cause the bike to fall over. I have one bike with a rear kickstand and one with a mid kickstand: looking at the one with the rear kickstand, it seems like the bike would still be fully supported by the kickstand even if the tire was flat. It doesn’t look like the tire is doing much of the work in keeping the bike upright with the kickstand deployed. But I could be totally wrong.

Is it because the bike rolls enough when it gets a flat tire that the friction of the kickstand against the ground pushes the kickstand up enough that it pops up? I tried to test this theory right now by pushing my bike that has the rear kickstand pretty forcefully from the rear and the kickstand didn’t pop up. (But it’s on a hardwood floor, not a concrete garage floor, so maybe there’s not enough friction).

(The bike I’ll be moving to the garage is actually the one with the mid kickstand. So, I’m mostly just curious; but it’s possible that this same issue could also apply to the one with the mid kickstand, depending on the reasons why a flat would cause a bike that’s on a kickstand to tip over.)

Last edited:
Also: depending on many factors (type and frequency of riding, type of tires, storage conditions, etc.), two flats since fall 2022 seems like a bit much, in my (very limited) experience. I therefore wonder whether this might be a causation versus correlation issue. That is, rather than it being the flat tire that is causing the bike to fall over even though the kickstand is deployed, could it be something else that’s associated both with the flat tire and the bike falling over? (I have no idea what that would be: a critter in the garage that’s gnawing at the tire, causing both the flat and the bike to fall over? An enemy who sneaks into your garage at night, punctures your tire, and then tips the bike over for good measure? 😂)

The fact that *both* flats *only* were detected while the bike was in the garage also makes me wonder whether there’s another factor here. Statistically, it seems odd that neither flat was detectable until after the bike had been put in the garage. Wouldn’t it have been equally likely, statistically speaking, that the flat would have happened while you were out on a ride and you would have noticed it once you stopped for any reason; put the bike on the kickstand;and saw it fall over? In my case, even if I don’t happen to stop during a ride, I still have to put the bike on the kickstand at least once in order to open the door to bring it into the house.

Last edited:
I’m trying to understand the physics of what you’re describing.
Usually, a flat on a bike supported by the kickstand remains stationary. Therefore I wonder how the Vado could fall over, too.

It is easy enough to make a stand out of wood. It sounds to me that these are slow leaks, and yes the lowered height of the bike will relatively raise the kickstand to push a bike over to the right. I will bet it is tubeless and sealant got into the O-ring of the valve because the 0-ring was not first dabbed with silicone O-ring lube. This outdoor pallet rack, when built, will hold eight bikes. All you need is a slot for a wheel.
1683228954487.jpeg
1683229014446.jpeg

Haven't had a flat behave like that, so haven't had anything like that happen.
I’m trying to understand the physics of what you’re describing. The Vado has a rear kickstand rather than mid-mounted kickstand, yes? Even if so, I’m having trouble picture why a flat rear tire would necessarily cause the bike to fall over. I have one bike with a rear kickstand and one with a mid kickstand: looking at the one with the rear kickstand, it seems like the bike would still be fully supported by the kickstand even if the tire was flat. It doesn’t look like the tire is doing much of the work in keeping the bike upright with the kickstand deployed. But I could be totally wrong.

I have a Vado 4.0 and just had a look with a ruler.

With the tire inflated, the rim sits about 2 1/4" off the floor, and if I tilt the bike upright the kickstand sits about 1 5/8" off the floor. If I continue to where the kickstand is the same 2 1/4" off the floor the bike is leaning away from the kickstand.

Thus it seems quite possible for the bike to fall over away from the kickstand if the tire fully flattens - there's enough difference that the flattened tire & tube won't keep it from toppling over.

The kickstand is holding the bike too upright so when tire goes flat it stands straight up and tips. Shorten the kickstand .
Just note there's no adjustability with the stock Vado kickstand - would have to cut it or replace with an adjustable.

I confirm, the bike tipped both times away from the kickstand.
I like the creativity around here to prove this hypothesis; for those with the same bike, an easy test would be to just fully deflate your rear tire 😂 You will notice that you won't be able to keep the bike staying upright with the kickstand (unless, of course, I have a defective unit somehow).
I think for now I will just store against the wall rather than using the kickstand, it almost scratched my car last time it tipped over.

Also: depending on many factors (type and frequency of riding, type of tires, storage conditions, etc.), two flats since fall 2022 seems like a bit much, in my (very limited) experience. I therefore wonder whether this might be a causation versus correlation issue. That is, rather than it being the flat tire that is causing the bike to fall over even though the kickstand is deployed, could it be something else that’s associated both with the flat tire and the bike falling over? (I have no idea what that would be: a critter in the garage that’s gnawing at the tire, causing both the flat and the bike to fall over? An enemy who sneaks into your garage at night, punctures your tire, and then tips the bike over for good measure? 😂)

The fact that *both* flats *only* were detected while the bike was in the garage also makes me wonder whether there’s another factor here. Statistically, it seems odd that neither flat was detectable until after the bike had been put in the garage. Wouldn’t it have been equally likely, statistically speaking, that the flat would have happened while you were out on a ride and you would have noticed it once you stopped for any reason; put the bike on the kickstand;and saw it fall over? In my case, even if I don’t happen to stop during a ride, I still have to put the bike on the kickstand at least once in order to open the door to bring it into the house.
the second flat was just a consequence of my poor job fixing the first one :) (or a limitation of the Park Tool GP-2 stickers that don't seem to last long term if overlapping a seam on the tube). I don't ride every day and it seems it was leaking slow enough for me not to notice it until completely flat.

The test is to place a two inch block under the kickstand at about the height of a flat tire.
The test is just to deflate your rear tire :) or even better, you can just take my word for it. I wish the bike would stay upright with just the kickstand, that would be helpful when taking the rear wheel off for a repair, but that's just not the case.

My Vado with a flat rear tire also tipped over. Very annoying. Not being able to use the kickstand when the tire is flat is just adding insult to injury, especially if you don’t have something nearby to lean it on while you try to pump up the flat tire.

I like the idea of laying down a chunk of cardboard and flipping the bike.

Back