Tire Puncture Survey for those using Sealant.

the biggest problem with sealants is they are designed for tires with no tubes. plus the PIS of your tire is a big issue. so more then 50 PSI and there is less chance it will work. Stans seemed to work sometimes at 70 psi. you also have to be able to remove what's in the tire. often I cant find it its either non or often pushed in all the way so you cant find it from outside so it won't seal. if it is raining it does not seem to work either.
so far Stans has worked the most times though not much. tried the slime and flat out with less reliable results. trying muck off right now.
I am pretty sure we have both discussed Flatout only working on lower-pressure tires. I have it working successfully on two tubed tires, where one is 40 psi and the other is up to 60. My 29er enduro uses Flatout tubeless on tires that are a 29x2.3/2.4 Maxxis Assegai and Minion. But thats not much of a sample.

I am taking my Apostate tubeless - probably tonight or tomorrow - using 60 psi 26x2.30 Maxxis Aggressors. Before I committed to doing that, I wanted to call the Flatout people and ask them about the product on these smaller volume, higher presure tires - why do they only advertise its use on fat bicycle tires, and what of the tire pressure issue? In particular does the higher pressure cause the stuff to just squirt out and not work?

The answer I got was
  1. They have just gotten around to really adapting their marketing to mention bicycles at all (its only on their web site, not the product labeling).
  2. Smaller volume tires will work just fine, they just haven't finished their testing on them and cannot yet recommend a dosage amount. However they do know that - and I'm quoting here - "air pressure does not have an effect".
I also asked them about the ATV formula that is available off the shelf at Home Depot for $14.99 vs. the Sportsman formula that is $23 on Amazon. I was told the ATV formula and Sportsman formula are interchangeable for bicycles.

I am pretty sure we have both discussed Flatout only working on lower-pressure tires. I have it working successfully on two tubed tires, where one is 40 psi and the other is up to 60. My 29er enduro uses Flatout tubeless on tires that are a 29x2.3/2.4 Maxxis Assegai and Minion. But thats not much of a sample.

I am taking my Apostate tubeless - probably tonight or tomorrow - using 60 psi 26x2.30 Maxxis Aggressors. Before I committed to doing that, I wanted to call the Flatout people and ask them about the product on these smaller volume, higher presure tires - why do they only advertise its use on fat bicycle tires, and what of the tire pressure issue? In particular does the higher pressure cause the stuff to just squirt out and not work?

The answer I got was
  1. They have just gotten around to really adapting their marketing to mention bicycles at all (its only on their web site, not the product labeling).
  2. Smaller volume tires will work just fine, they just haven't finished their testing on them and cannot yet recommend a dosage amount. However they do know that - and I'm quoting here - "air pressure does not have an effect".
I also asked them about the ATV formula that is available off the shelf at Home Depot for $14.99 vs. the Sportsman formula that is $23 on Amazon. I was told the ATV formula and Sportsman formula are interchangeable for bicycles.
WoW, Really? "Air Pressure does not have an effect" from the FlatOut folks. WoW . . . that's pretty counter-intuitive on it's face but they must be basing that statement on some testing. It's odd they're well aware of pressure vs sealing ability per given tire size but most of the reply's in here mention Higher pressures in the smaller tires Are an issue.
You've posted a Gr8 response as if gives the pertinent details and is very well said, Thank You. I'm kinda new to this "blogging" thing . . for example I didn't know there was a Second Page and to look to the end of the thread for the latest reply's. My apologies, I'm New : /
Most reply's have been a good learning experience for me personally. I know this has all been "hashed out" B4 on other threads. My intent was not to throw fuel on the ongoing debate over Tubes vs Tubeless, only to find people's preferences/experiences on weather to leave the nail in or not before getting trying for home. I know it doesn't matter to many as fixing a flat in-sitsu is no problem. Electric Fat Bikes with Tannus Foam Inserts and Sealant makes it less convenient, especially if it's really hot or raining a bit.
Sounds like you've found practical solutions for different configurations . . . smart!
Thx Again, Happy Trails !

I have been thru the exact scenario the OP asks about many, many times. I've tried it both ways. I keep a pair of needlenose pliers at the ready in a handlebar bag or someplace similar that I don't have to dig for it because... you pretty much have to pull that nail to get a 100% positive resolution. I'm talking fat tires here, both tubed and tubeless with FlatOut as the sealant for both tubed and tubeless installations (I have both) in active service).

Lets say its a nail, partially inserted and now bent-over sideways. If you don't pull it, its going to get knocked around on every revolution and *probably* will prevent the tire from sealing. the sealant will certainly slow the leak, and if you are lucky it will seal it, but for me, on city streets, that answer is "usually not". The way to do it is as soon as you hear the tictictic stop, jump off, grab the pliers, pull the nail and then lower the kickstand so you can rock the back tire of the bike up off the ground a touch. Then hit the throttle which will cause the wheel to spin and get a bunch of sealant to the hole. Then jump on and hit the throttle again. I am a PAS kind of guy but holes in tires cause me to toss appearances out the window and I throttle that sucker to a) get me closer to home and b) let the sealant spread out on the underside and do its work.

If I let the nail sit, I stand a much better chance of losing air and having to stop. Then pull the nail and get out the battery pump to reinflate so I can do the above described fast roll.

EDIT: Same goes for glass and metal strips. In fact I have the pliers because glass and metal shards don't shred my pliers like they do my fingertips. A knife blade works too but using the blade on tire tread gives me the willies.

EDITEDIT: Tire size. Forgot that. Tubeless: Vee Snowshoe XLs 26x4.8. Tubed: Surly Lou 26x4.8(?) and Arisun Big Fatty 26x4.9. Tubeless sealants I have used Stans and a couple different flavors of Orange Seal but found Flatout to be head/shoulders above them for puncture protection and the fact it never dries up. For tubes, I have gone thru Slime, Stans and Orange Seal again before Flatout. This is where I first used Flatout in, I think, 2020. Those tire sizes are Vee Speedster 26x3.5, Arisun Big Smoothy 26x4.0, Arisun Big Fatty 26x4.9, Surly Edna 26x4.3, Vee Snow Avalanche 26x4.7 and Vee Snowshoe XL 26x4.8.

Ummm, gonna use the "I'm New" excuse again : / I didn't see this reply till I realized there was more than one page of Reply's to read. I'm embarrased to tell you what I do for a living now !
Excellent intel there Hombre, it pretty much details what I was looking to find out about my Fat Tire Fun w/ Flats. So, after reading this, and after this season's TANNUS experiment, I may opt to simplify how I deal w/ Flats. I like the "Throttle Up on the Kickstand" idea a Lot! I pretty much had decided that pulling the nail was best but my setup w/ Slime 2in1 hasn't been consistent and works or doesn't work in either case . . leave it or pull it. I will say in cases where I'd pulled the Tac/Nail I'd hop in the seat and haul ass in an attempt to get some sealant in the hole.. Didn't always work but some punctures were from embedded and curled nails in the Foam Insert, which punctured the Side of the tube. Frustrating but I'm still learning.
Yea, Thx Again m@Robertson, short of going Tubeless you've given me a couple of more options that sound promising. Like I'd mentioned elsewhere in this Thread, I've looked very closely at the materials and expenses for thee Tubeless option. Then I saw those Tannus guys somewhere on the interweb and here I am !
I'll likely sit down and read thru these responses again in a week or so and post a summation. Maybe I can make this attempt at "bloging" pay off.

Yea, Thx Again m@Robertson, short of going Tubeless you've given me a couple of more options that sound promising. Like I'd mentioned elsewhere in this Thread, I've looked very closely at the materials and expenses for thee Tubeless option. Then I saw those Tannus guys somewhere on the interweb and here I am !
Glad I could help :D

I didn't mention above that I have also gone all in on Tannus over the last 18-24 months or so and when I built my Apostate early this year, after having some truly hellish mounting experiences on some bikes, I found yet another tire/wheel combo that would not take the liners and that was one failure too many. I've stopped putting them into bikes. I'll leave them in the bikes that have them in already but thats it. I'm done blowing the extra money on them when they don't seem to do anything a thornproof tube and a generous load of Flatout does.

Maybe I should back up just a bit. See... Tannus Armour can go into a wheel nice and easy, or it can go in but be a nightmare. Or it can be a nightmare and a failure. Particularly with more 'normal' sized tires, even with downsized tubes and cutting down the sides at the indicated cut line, they may decide there isn't enough room under the tire and now you have a $50 pink life preserver to hang on something in the garage. For example they will not (no way, no how) go underneath 26x3.5 Vee Speedsters on 80mm Surly MYOBD rims. They will not go on 29er DT Swiss FR 560's with Maxxis Assegais or Minions. They will not go in 26" FR560's with Schwalbe Pickups. On the flip side putting them under 90mm Nextie carbon rims or 80mm and 100mm Origin8 fatty rims is easy peasy. But couple this Jekyll/Hyde situation with the fact that they are known to compress to paper thinness over time, and they make the wheels perform as if they are giant round dead blow hammers... I've had enough. I can get my flatproofing in other ways.
I'll likely sit down and read thru these responses again in a week or so and post a summation. Maybe I can make this attempt at "bloging" pay off.
I use mine to save my fingertips on common topics that come up over and over again. But you'd never know it sometimes :D Speaking of which, I updated my tool kit contents. Biggest change is the pump.

Most definately winter riding. My limit used to be 15F for many years until just recently, these days around 30F
No problem with freezing the product? Bike kept warm before rides? I’ve read anecdotes regarding some types “puddling” and making for out of balance tires.

thanks!

No problem with freezing the product? Bike kept warm before rides? I’ve read anecdotes regarding some types “puddling” and making for out of balance tires.

thanks!
Not really any problems I have noticed. I usually keep my bikes indoors except for the winter where they are constantly covered by muck from ridng in snow melt conditions.

My garage can get down to 20F on the coldest days.

I run stans in tubes.

I have had two weird occurances over the years.

I had stans go solid in a set of tires/tubes (noticable bulge in tire) on one bike. Its been too long ago to remember if it was cold related.

On an acoustic bike which I ran tubeless, everytime the garage would get well below freezing, the front tire(only the front....weird) would start weeping sealant from the sidewalls enough to puddle on the floor. Once this started happening, the tire would loose all air over a period of a day or so. Adding new sealant and even taking it all apart and resealing everything never fixed the problem. Putting tubes in (with stans) has worked fine ever since

I stick with Stans because it works for me. Will flatout work better? Who knows but I would feel silly if I changed over and got a flat.

Last edited:
Glad I could help :D

I didn't mention above that I have also gone all in on Tannus over the last 18-24 months or so and when I built my Apostate early this year, after having some truly hellish mounting experiences on some bikes, I found yet another tire/wheel combo that would not take the liners and that was one failure too many. I've stopped putting them into bikes. I'll leave them in the bikes that have them in already but thats it. I'm done blowing the extra money on them when they don't seem to do anything a thornproof tube and a generous load of Flatout does.

Maybe I should back up just a bit. See... Tannus Armour can go into a wheel nice and easy, or it can go in but be a nightmare. Or it can be a nightmare and a failure. Particularly with more 'normal' sized tires, even with downsized tubes and cutting down the sides at the indicated cut line, they may decide there isn't enough room under the tire and now you have a $50 pink life preserver to hang on something in the garage. For example they will not (no way, no how) go underneath 26x3.5 Vee Speedsters on 80mm Surly MYOBD rims. They will not go on 29er DT Swiss FR 560's with Maxxis Assegais or Minions. They will not go in 26" FR560's with Schwalbe Pickups. On the flip side putting them under 90mm Nextie carbon rims or 80mm and 100mm Origin8 fatty rims is easy peasy. But couple this Jekyll/Hyde situation with the fact that they are known to compress to paper thinness over time, and they make the wheels perform as if they are giant round dead blow hammers... I've had enough. I can get my flatproofing in other ways.

I use mine to save my fingertips on common topics that come up over and over again. But you'd never know it sometimes :D Speaking of which, I updated my tool kit contents. Biggest change is the pump.
You've definitely done some experimenting and it shows. The Good news is that you've found most Pro's vs Con's with your varied Tire/Wheel setup's and found uses for these various methods we use to prevent flats. Not the case so far with me as I've only One backup "regular" Mountain Bike and it's a "Hanger Queen" that just sits there & looks pretty. It's a 2010 FUJI Police Special w/ so few miles on it I'm embarrassed to say.
My focus has been on reducing the Flat Count on this Stock Wheeled RipCurrent S. Maybe after my experience/experiments w/ the Pink Tannus Life Preserver (luv that!) I'll install my NIB 26 x 3.5" folding VEE Speedsters w/ some FlatOut or Stans just to simplify and lighten my Rear Wheel assy. I've been wanting to try these 3.5" tires.
Fat Tires have a Much larger footprint on the pavement/asphalt/dirt vs skinny High Press tires. This equals more chance to pick up a puncture imho, so I'm on a quest to possibly have a positive effect reducing these unscheduled stops . . . and I like to experiment ; ) I did experiment with the Tuffy Fat Tire Kevlar Belts; https://www.amazon.com/Fat-Bike-Tir...34&sprefix=tuffy+fat+bike+belt,aps,303&sr=8-2 They're even More difficult to keep centered and install than the Tannus Foam Noodle. They Always migrated into a circular "S" shape and wouldn't stay centered. The instructions say Nothing about how to properly overlap the ends to avoid pinching the tube, AND, probably because of my Tire Loading on the Rear, Everything punctured these things. They didn't stop a single nail or tac from penetrating the tube. That was likely to the added weight over the rear. I do run one of these up front andd have yet to get a Front Flat in over 15,000 miles on this RipCurrent . . . Retired a yr after buying this thing & hoping to burn some calories whole breathing fresh air.
I'm having Gr8 Success w/ the Pink Pool-Noodle Orb (like that one? ; ) on this particular tire/wheel combo and will likely see it thru until this 26 x 4.0" Origin8 Supercell beaded street tire wears out, likely early next riding season. I'd installed this insert on a half-worn VEE ZigZag before putting the Vee up front and switching to the Origin8. I've got total of about 5K miles on the Pool Noodle w/ only two slow leaks that occurred on the same ride, from the same nail. I cant find it at the moment but I'd written elsewhere within this thread of Three real drawbacks to these Tannus Foam Inserts, and you've reminded me of a couple more. (had to highlight it so it'd be easier to find next time)
1. The reduction in Flats amounts to a Time & Labor scheduling tradeoff. You MUST deflate the tire between rides to allow the Foam to fully Re-Expand or you will get the paper thin, useless foam condition so many have commented on. It's entirely avoidable if you follow the instructional fine print which Tannus fails to mention in their Adverts. My 26 x 4.0 tube will lose about 1psi per hour due to the tube expanding into the compressing foam. Nat a problem, my rides are rarely more than 2hrs so I add 3 or 4 psi to the 20psi rated Fat Tires. I figure there's a 10% "fudge factor" built into the recommended pressures and haven't had Any problems running them @ 22 & 24psi, Front & Rear respectively. That said, higher pressures = smaller footprint and more miles per charge. I can plan my rides but not my flats.
2. They add considerable weight to a 26 x 4.0" tire/wheel assembly that already has an Electric Motor on the hub and if ur unlucky, causes Real Unbalanced issues felt at higher speeds.
3. The inserts will initially "polish" the fine flashing, nubs and coarse surfaces inside the Tire walls of Fat Tires (this may not be so bad on smaller tire assy's). Ya gotta pull the Tube & Insert after 100+ miles, blow out the rubber bits and dust that's everywhere, give it a thorough wipe down w/ some 70% isopropyl alcohol, dry everything and reassemble, preferably w/ some anti-chafe powder like such as foot Powder. A second cleaning isn't necessary once the initial surface polishing effect these Inserts have is delt with.
4. It's a learned skill to install these into a Fat Bike Tire. This is where you come face to face with Mr. Jekyll or Mr. Hyde : /
5. The Deflation/Reinflate routine is gonna have to be done by removing the Valve Stem if your running Sealant. Trying a "bleed-off" by just pressing the valve will not go well with sealant. That said, unseating and removing the Valve Stem usually will have some sealant expel with the sudden pressure drop. This is avoidable with proper positioning before removing the Valve Stem. None the less any sealant loss, while minimal, will usually requires cleanup outside and inside the stem. I usually position the rear tire valve @ the 12:00 position when I park the bike, use my valve cap (which contains the removal tool) to unseat the valve, bleed the air into a paper towel, wipe down the outer threads of any sealant and clean the valve internal w/ a Q-Tip and leave the clean end inserted until I'm ready to re-inflate the tire. It's something to add to a pre-launch routine that I'm used to now.
6. I'm still working on this one : /
Apologies for the seemingly random writing style. I did a few edits that probably need some editing : )
Thanks for sharing your experiences, it's been very helpful for the New Guy. Happy Trails !

I bought a 2020 Rad Rover ST in April of 2020 that came with Kenda 26X4's. I had a flat shortly after around 600 miles. I pulled the rear wheel installed a Mr. Tuffy and then slimed both tires. No flats since. Last year I bought a pair of like new Origin 8's along with two tubes that had been slimed from another EBR member. A few days ago I noticed some green dots showing on the rear Kenda after 4,000 miles which I assume are wear indicators telling me to put on new tires which I did a couple of days ago. I noticed two things about slime in the process. First after unscrewing the valves on the Kenda's I noticed a little of the slime that was about 2&1/2 years old oozed out of the stem and looked pretty much brand new. Next I unscrewed the valves on the new tubes that ha been slimed. I had added some air before storing them. On one the air would not come out and I had to poke a nail up the stem as the slime was blocking. So slime seems to last more than two years and was enough to plug a valve stem under low pressure with the valve removed. I also like the Origin 8's which are much quieter than the Kendas.

Back