Thudbuster vs Kinekt seat posts

Thank you about the knockdown effect,I had a joker tell me the 45 colt ACP wouldn't knock down a pain-crazed Filipino because it didn't have enough recoil that was actually the reason for the development of the 45 ACP to take out or knockdown berserkers that a 38 special wouldn't handle. I know a ACP is not a Long Colt, but the ACP had enough extra power over the 38 special to take down the ones that would keep coming
Your understanding coincides with mine. The M1911A1, 45ACP, 230grain - a sub-sonic round (830fps) - is still a superb short range firearm caliber, designed for (ambush) application in the Moro Rebellion.
In my experience (for .45cal), the beast's the 454 Casull, but other revolvers (my 5-round, unflutted Sporting Arms Seville comes to mind) can exceed that with custom loads - you just can't reload the casings, which eject a bit less cooperatively, since they expand and crack.

Your understanding coincides with mine. The M1911A1, 45ACP, 230grain - a sub-sonic round (830fps) - is still a superb short range firearm caliber, designed for (ambush) application in the Moro Rebellion.
In my experience (for .45cal), the beast's the 454 Casull, but other revolvers (my 5-round, unflutted Sporting Arms Seville comes to mind) can exceed that with custom loads - you just can't reload the casings, which eject a bit less cooperatively, since they expand and crack.
Brother used to have a Casull, became too much and too expensive, my favorite is my .44 mag Super Blackhawk, shes a sweet little revolver that can hit the mark. I liked my GP100 357. used it so little I exchanged it for the Blackhawk, need to get another ruger Mk, loved those little tack drivers. If I was into it in a bigger way again,I would get a super single .30 cal with a .30 carbine saddle gun( its actually in my opinion a sweet spot for fun gun for many reasons-Step Granddad used to deerhunt with His 30,carbine( WW2 SP Veteran) bagged a Whitetail with it too. Sorry about taking the thread off a bit, Common sense is hard to find. Its a wonder someone hasnt designed a single shot seat post gun( just make sure its pointed down on installation or up when leaving and securing bike :cool:

Brother used to have a Casull, became too much and too expensive, my favorite is my .44 mag Super Blackhawk, shes a sweet little revolver that can hit the mark. I liked my GP100 357. used it so little I exchanged it for the Blackhawk, need to get another ruger Mk, loved those little tack drivers. If I was into it in a bigger way again,I would get a super single .30 cal with a .30 carbine saddle gun( its actually in my opinion a sweet spot for fun gun for many reasons-Step Granddad used to deerhunt with His 30,carbine( WW2 SP Veteran) bagged a Whitetail with it too. Sorry about taking the thread off a bit, Common sense is hard to find. Its a wonder someone hasnt designed a single shot seat post gun( just make sure its pointed down on installation or up when leaving and securing bike :cool:
King Cage manything and minithing's work well for this and that. Not break-away, but close.

20230113_151753[1].jpg
20230113_162504[1].jpg

Soon, a 'manything', will be mounted on that Mastodon fork - for my fishing rod.
Added weight swinging fork around = PIA.
A hard-scabbard could be attached with p-clamps to the left side chain-stay and seat-stay.
Everything I build, first consideration is weight. Minimalism.
-
Back on topic (he, he, he).
If you're buying a KINEKT, you know you'll want to play with it.
You can get the adjuster - or carry tools. In hindsight, I'd have made that decision all one shipment.
Same with springs. Leaning towards the end of one weight class on the chart provided, order an an appropriate spring for the next weight class.
That's esp true if you are at the end of a weight class.
Segway, rewind. King Cage made a small cage that held a multitool/ inflator/ pouch of stuff under the bottle cage.
Quite rare, one's on eBay. Nice, but SS - I only doing ti , unless I can't help it.

Body Float/Knekt over TB for sure. I have had both. I am a larger rider and the float has better performance and you don't have the squeaky noise you get from the TB's elastomer insert.

Body Float/Knekt over TB for sure. I have had both. I am a larger rider and the float has better performance and you don't have the squeaky noise you get from the TB's elastomer insert.
None of my Thuds have ever squeaked. Since I posted in here last I put that Thud on the second bike, where the first one has the Kinekt on it. Easy now to make truly direct comparisons given identical frames etc and only different seatposts.

• The Kinekt XL2 provides smoother ride and better isolation.
  • The Thud LT with the max firm elastomer rounds off the sharp edges on impacts. It does not advertise to be an isolation post like the Kinekt does and the two are genuinely different in what they do. the Thud essentially does the job of easing the impact on your spine for a lot less money; although it is still pricey as it is.
  • The Kinekt XL2 has a pogo effect at high cadence rpms. It cannot be gotten rid of by adjusting preload. I can reduce the effect but taking it to the point where the effect is gone makes the unit bottom out with increasing frequency. I weight 250 lbs and the Kinekt XL2's weight range is if I remember right 250-340 lbs. I looked it up in the previous posts so whatever I said then is correct for sure.
  • The Thud has zero pogo no matter what.
  • Spine and bum are just as comfortable on either after equally long rides.
I was on the phone with Kinekt today. I am buying a 90mm suspension stem for my new bike. Those stems just play too big a role in wrist and hand fatigue elimination to do without. I confirmed with them I can use the orange-striped upper seat spring as an extra-extra-firm spring over and above the three they include in the stem, and ordered one. Also ordered the extra firm dampener kit. I have those on my other three Kinekt stems so I know its what I need to make the stem work for me as advertised.

I had a "squeaker" Thudbuster as well, and yes it was set up for my weight.

None of my Thuds have ever squeaked. Since I posted in here last I put that Thud on the second bike, where the first one has the Kinekt on it. Easy now to make truly direct comparisons given identical frames etc and only different seatposts.

• The Kinekt XL2 provides smoother ride and better isolation.
  • The Thud LT with the max firm elastomer rounds off the sharp edges on impacts. It does not advertise to be an isolation post like the Kinekt does and the two are genuinely different in what they do. the Thud essentially does the job of easing the impact on your spine for a lot less money; although it is still pricey as it is.
  • The Kinekt XL2 has a pogo effect at high cadence rpms. It cannot be gotten rid of by adjusting preload. I can reduce the effect but taking it to the point where the effect is gone makes the unit bottom out with increasing frequency. I weight 250 lbs and the Kinekt XL2's weight range is if I remember right 250-340 lbs. I looked it up in the previous posts so whatever I said then is correct for sure.
  • The Thud has zero pogo no matter what.
  • Spine and bum are just as comfortable on either after equally long rides.
I was on the phone with Kinekt today. I am buying a 90mm suspension stem for my new bike. Those stems just play too big a role in wrist and hand fatigue elimination to do without. I confirmed with them I can use the orange-striped upper seat spring as an extra-extra-firm spring over and above the three they include in the stem, and ordered one. Also ordered the extra firm dampener kit. I have those on my other three Kinekt stems so I know its what I need to make the stem work for me as advertised.
I have heard other TB squeaking on other bikes as well. Which one do you prefer? Why did you buy the TB after first owning a float, or if I got the order wrong why did you switch up? I have never experienced the pogo effect with Body Float I weigh 225.

Last edited:
What Thudbuster post are you referring to? There is a big difference between the LT and ST versions. I have both and the LT does not squeak. The ST can begin making noise after prolonged use but it's easily cured by applying a drop of mineral oil to the bushings.

Which one do you prefer? Why did you buy the TB after first owning a float, or if I got the order wrong why did you switch up? I have never experienced the pogo effect with Body Float I weigh 225.
Thudbuster LT. I have also owned the ST and there's no point in limiting it to the lesser performance unless you have, perhaps, aesthetic issues to consider. Recently this changed though because now the current ST model has a 330 lb weight limit, over and above the hard 250 lb limit of the LT.

If you look to the previous posts in this thread, you'll see I have owned a half-dozen thuds and a Satori Animaris over a period of several years. I have over two years now on a Kinekt XL2 (the big one, no longer sold but same product just scaled up physically a bit) that is a daily driver on a bike that is pedaled hard, daily on flat pavement. So that means road bike style pedaling. High cadence rate.

As you can see in the previous posts, it pogo'd at high cadence. Alaskan took a close look at how I had mine set up and suggested I increase the preload over what I had, and this works, but only to a point. There is not enough travel when you do that and it makes the spring bottom out in use when the inevitable big bumps happen. So given this - on a Kinekt post that has a weight limit waaaaay over and above mine - I instead put a Thud LT on a second, otherwise identical bike. The Thud does not provide isolation, it does what a traditional suspension post does. And it never pogo's. But at 250 lbs I am at the upper end of its weight range which is always something to keep an eye on (across several bikes and more than a few years there has never been an issue).

If the goal is to soften the impact on your spine and bum, the Thud is every bit as good as its reputation. If on the other hand you are looking to spend an additional $100 to hopefully have a full-suspension-smooth ride, then the Kinekt will do that, assuming your riding style and physique cooperates.

The Kinekt is a great product but it has limitations that can get in the way if the stars are misaligned.

Last edited:
I have an unused XR, in the box for $200 + whatever shipping buyer picks. No BS.
Ton's of springs, so just say you want a certain (correct) set included for your weight. I'm cleaning house.
I'll also kick in an unbroken-in Selle Anatomica - USA Made - or new Brooks B17 Imperial saddle for 60% retail.
PM me.
My Hardtail's LR is great. Springs dialed in, tension correct, I have so much torque at my pedals, no 'bobbing' anomaly.
If you're 250+lbs, and/ or fancy yourself as the 'Mike Tyson grade wrecking-crew' type, the KINEKT might not be up to you.
At 140lbs it's easy to stay near the sweet-point with the springs and DAMN is it Sweet.
My research showed the Thud's for initial impact, not overall ride. My experience is the KINEKT works through the entire range absorbing multi-impacts (real world turf), not just one - and recovering so well it becomes unnoticeable.
The big, hard sluggers like m@Robertson, at the end limits succinctly nail the distinctions.

Ever, Fn'F

Back