Does Anyone have experience using a suspension seat post with a sprung saddle?

mata2maui

Region
USA
I have a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST G4 that I am currently using with a very uncomfortable seat. I want to replace the seat with either a Brooks B17 or a Brooks Flyer (sprung). Do I need a sprung seat with the Thudbuster I have? Is it even practical to use a sprung saddle with a suspension seat post? I am trying to get the most comfortable riding experience possible so I will ride longer. The Flyer is basically the B17 with springs. Any advice?

Last edited:
It's going to be very difficult to tune the seat post when you have twice the spring. I'd suggest padded cycling shorts instead of double sprung seating and go to a great local bicycle shop and have them fit you for a good saddle.

You should have bought a full suspension ebike. You will not need sprung saddle or are you saying seat/saddle post dropper?
Roger that, don't think I mentioned anything about a seat post dropper. Thing is I have no need or desire to get a full suspension bike with my style of riding and the terrain I prefer, so why spend the extra money? No, rest assured my friend, I bought exactly what I wanted. Plus, you can't really find an upright stance, cruiser-style bike in full suspension, accept maybe a Soul Cuda, but then you have the BMX overkill motorcycle forks to deal with. Aloha.

It's going to be very difficult to tune the seat post when you have twice the spring. I'd suggest padded cycling shorts instead of double sprung seating and go to a great local bicycle shop and have them fit you for a good saddle.
Ya, I do use padded shorts if it's a long ride. The Brooks saddles are very good, and we don't have LBS's on Maui with a library of bike seats where you could get fitted. But the issue you brought up is exactly why I was wondering if it's not just better to get the unsprung B17. I mean I paid $179 for the seat post so I want to get all I can get out of its design. Mahalo.

I've used the thudbuster lt with the brooks b67. Works well. Used a little stiffer rubber than what thudbuster recommends. The thudbuster moves the seat back a little and I didn't like the increased reach or I might still be using that setup.

Noting wrong with cumulating both the spring saddle and the suspension seat post.
The suspension seat post is a stiff suspension for harsh impact, it is no good to filter small bumps.
The spring saddle is soft spring and made to filter the small bump, so they complement each other.

I have a full suspension bike and a spring saddle.

Noting wrong with cumulating both the spring saddle and the suspension seat post.
Ever heard the term "harmonic vibration"? The two spring systems might start oscillating together, eventually vibrating themselves. I call it "Swapping the devil for the Satan".

Huh... well.. long ago I went with this, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BIQN9UC/ , a piston based suspension post. It makes a big difference cause my butt was never conditioned to riding bikes. I paired it was a nice, but nothing fancy wide saddle seat that had the split gap down the center, in fact it looks very much like https://www.amazon.com/Serfas-Mens-Road-Comfort-Saddle/dp/B001T4Z876 . good cushion but no additional spring. This, and the used of padded bike shorts really helped with my out of shape butt for the past 5 years. I am borderline obese and weight 220 pounds. My bike has basic front suspension but nothing for the rear.

Come on... turning a good suspension into a pogo stick? :D
A suspension seat post like the suntour is like riding a cloud. That's what my spine says anyway.
Ok, I admit, we both have spring saddles as well. And thick ones. But not the double width they sell.
Not that they aren't comfortable, but they limit my pedaling comfort, and my Como has no throttle.
So pedaling full time is required. I tried four seats from Amazon and returned three.

Last edited:
A suspension seat post like the suntour is like riding a cloud. That's what my spine says anyway.

I've got that suspension seat post,.. and a spring seat,.. and a gell cushion.

Talk about riding a cloud,.. 😂

20230313_095257.jpg
20230606_114852.jpg
20230408_152654.jpg

The more that my butt rides on the cloud, the more my my wheels stay connected to the road.

It Happened To Me !!!

I Farted and my seat springs started to vibrate.
That vibration just happened to be half lambda of the Suntour suspension spring, so my seat post started to Oscillate Wildly !!

Before I knew it, my whole damn e-bike was bouncing. 😂

So just Blow It Out your Ass Stefan.
See what happens. 😂
Ah, my mistake. Your SunTour is worn out or adjusted wrong. The seat action should have a good amount of friction during use. It should be difficult to compress and recoil should also be muted, not free springing. I didn't consider that my setup is new. Still, I've considered adding memory foam under the seat to absorb it's motion.

I've got that suspension seat post,.. and a spring seat,.. and a gell cushion.

Talk about riding a cloud,.. 😂

The more that my butt rides on the cloud, the more my my wheels stay connected to the road.
The more my butt sits on a cloud, the more miles I ride and more often. With no back pain, I ride daily.
My non-electric was dusty from just sitting and now has been mothballed.

I have a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST G4 that I am currently using with a very uncomfortable seat. I want to replace the seat with either a Brooks B17 or a Brooks Flyer (sprung). Do I need a sprung seat with the Thudbuster I have? Is it even practical to use a sprung saddle with a suspension seat post? I am trying to get the most comfortable riding experience possible so I will ride longer. The Flyer is basically the B17 with springs. Any advice?
Both our new bikes have both the spring seat and the suntour suspension posts.

Ah, my mistake. Your SunTour is worn out or adjusted wrong.

I am a little on the lighter side and have the seat post adjusted to its lightest preload setting.
I'm considering getting a softer spring for it, but it's still working quite well, and I don't have to worry about bottoming out the seat post mechanism.

Screenshot_20230917-063709_Amazon Shopping.jpg

They have a stiffer spring too for heavier riders.

I removed the spring and greased it to help keep it working smoothly. I spray the exposed pivoting mechanism with silicone spray to keep it lubed without attracting dust.

There are times when I'm riding on washboard gravel roads where the e-bike is pounding (not really resonating). I just stand on the pedals or slow down or both.

Last edited:
I have a sprung saddle/suspension post combo on one bike, i love the suspension seat post but i think that sprung saddles are maybe just not for me.

The issue using two suspensions is the rebound rate is different on each one, and it's next to impossible to tune them to work properly together. Saddle springs are slow and give the feeling of floating, and seatpost suspension or rear bike suspension are designed to react to terrain fast. When the saddle springs are still compressing the seatpost is rebounding, so the systems are actually working against one another.

For less challenging terrain it probably doesn't matter. I have a friend with a full suspension eMTB and he also uses a Kinekt seatpost from his old hardtail eMTB. He's happy with it, I've made no mention of the fact that riding behind him I can actually see at times they are working against one another. You can imagine if one is going down, compressing and the other is rebounding, the forces collide giving a harsher ride.

IMO, the answer depends on the particular combination of sprung seat and suspension seatpost you're using.

FWIW, I use the Thudbuster ST, LT, kinekt 2 and Redshift suspension posts with Spiderflex, Cloud9, Spalding and Hobson sprung seats and have never noticed any adverse effects. That doesn't necessarily mean there won't be issues with other combinations though.

For less challenging terrain it probably doesn't matter. I have a friend with a full suspension eMTB and he also uses a Kinekt seatpost from his old hardtail eMTB. He's happy with it, I've made no mention of the fact that riding behind him I can actually see at times they are working against one another. You can imagine if one is going down, compressing and the other is rebounding, the forces collide giving a harsher ride.

It is hard to imagine. With rubber tires, suspension seat posts, seat springs, and seat foam and gel all different rebound rates, my spine is fooled with the result.
I also have gel seat cover I haven't tried yet. I just bought another ebike because I've lost 20 lbs since I bought my first ebike and now I need a folding one to keep in the car at all times.
I make it a point to do some amount of riding every day. So it has to be smoooth and fun. I have suspension seat posts on all my bikes.
I've had too many friends' health fail due partly to lack of exercise.
1696154193133.png

Last edited:
Back