Suspension seat post for C380

LBP

Region
Canada
Just purchased a 2023 Gazelle C380 and after a couple 15 km rides I’m finding the bumps unbearable on the behind. So, my question is, has anyone swapped their regular seat post out for a suspension one, and if so which one? I know prior to the 2023 models they did have a suspension post but not so for the this current model year. I’ve been researching the most popular, including the somewhat expensive ones, but a potential issue for me is the added height necessary for the suspension to work. I’m only 5’6” and with the current seat post all the way down, I find it’s the comfortable riding position for me although I haven’t tried a higher position yet. Most suspension seat posts add about an extra 4” I believe.

Appreciate any recommendations or suggestions.

If your current seat post is down all the way, and you find it comfortable, I doubt that you will be able to raise it enough to accommodate a suspension seat post. All suspension seat posts require 8 to 10 cm above the seat post collar to accommodate the suspension mechanism. A change of 1 cm in seat post height is quite noticeable. 8 to 10 cm is huge.

I suggest you should look for a saddle with more padding or suspension as this will not add as much height.

Appreciate the recommendation. I have been researching options for a different saddle and there are a lot to choose from. Might be a trial and error exercise.

LBP: Please tell me one thing to make sure. When you are riding your Gazelle and rest your heel on the pedal, is your leg fully extended?

Not fully extended but almost, just a very slight bend. I do not have to roll my hip
It would be ideal if it were slightly bent in the normal riding foot position on the pedal and fully extended with the heel there but I can see your saddle height is such you would not really win any extra space there.

I ride an Ultimate C380+ with the Kinekt suspension seat and love it. I found the C380's aluminum frame and higher speeds transmitted every bump and road imperfection. The Kinekt solved all of that IMMEDIATELY. Very comfortable, particularly when off pavement. They also offer a great saddle mount bag that wraps around the spring components perfectly.

Attachments

• tempImagehYbU3r.png
    tempImagehYbU3r.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 177
Agree with Redz. I have a 2023 C380 and I LOVE the Redshift Suspension post. It irons out bumps so well while not introducing weird movements.

I hope they can come up with something for shorter riders. My wife's C380 also has no space for a suspension post. She hasn't complained though.

On the side there are some ticks ( - - 20 - 40 - ). You might be able to slightly adjust the riding position downward so more of your weight is on the handlebars?

I expect the only real option for us short folk at the moment is to focus on the saddle, more specifically the proper fitting saddle and setup on the bike. Secondary might be the padded shorts. I’ve been researching the former and came across some interesting info on the SQLabs website on sit bone measurement and recommended saddle width based upon that measure. Another You Tube channel, RCA, was also very helpful. They helped me figure out my seat was positioned way too far back so after adjusting more forward and taking a ride this morning I found it helped a lot. With that said, I think the stock C380 saddle is a little too narrow for my liking and maybe a little too firm. I did purchase a pair of those padded shorts and I’d estimate they improve the ride by 30%. Will continue the trial and error process a little longer and see where that ends up. I don’t expect a 100% butt satisfaction.

Consider a Brooks B67 sprung saddle. Which is wider than the regular Brooks or the sprung Brooks Flyer. I don’t have a B67, but I do have the discontinued unsprung version, the B68 Imperial. (Imperial saddles are split in the center and laced across the bottom for fine tuning)

My 2023 C380 came with no suspension in the seat post like yours. My wife’s 2023 Arroyo C5 came with the one previously on the C380, but she’s 5’2”. So we swapped seat posts. I’m not a fan of the Gazelle OEM suspension seat post, as it doesn’t seem smooth. It sort of catches as in goes down, making for an odd ride. I’ll be moving the Brooks B68 Imperial over to the Gazelle from my Xtracycle.

Oh! First post here. I’m Steve from northern Ohio. We picked up our Gazelles one week ago. They are our first e-bikes(and the only ones we even test rode), our first bikes with disk brakes, and my first bike that isn’t built from brazed lugged steel tubes. Quite a change!

IMG_9450.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Steve. Fairly new here myself, after just purchasing the 2023 C380 pretty much the mirror of yours, excepting the flag, I’d need the maple leaf version.

I have shortlisted the Brooks B68 as well as SQLab 621 M-D Active, Ergonomic ST Core Evo and the Stefan’s Road/MTB Comfort. Still pondering which at the moment.

I am 5'2" and ride the smallest frame 2023 c380 with a redshift shockstop post. This seatpost is the shortest I could find and works well for me.View attachment 158608
Nice pic. Noticing your water bottle placement because I’ve been mounting and remounting mine most of today. Started out mounting it where you have it then thought it was too crowded at the handlebar, shifted it below the seat post which seems to defeat the step through benefit. Tried attaching to the mid-post but got in the way of the Kiox 300 display. Finally remounted it to the right handlebar. Had a similar debate on how to mount a mirror which would look aesthetically pleasing but effective.

Consider a Brooks B68 sprung saddle. Which is wider than the regular Brooks or the sprung Brooks Flyer. I don’t have a B68, but I do have the discontinued unsprung version, the B67 Imperial. (Imperial saddles are split in the center and laced across the bottom for fine tuning)

My 2023 C380 came with no suspension in the seat post like yours. My wife’s 2023 Arroyo C5 came with the one previously on the C380, but she’s 5’2”. So we swapped seat posts. I’m not a fan of the Gazelle OEM suspension seat post, as it doesn’t seem smooth. It sort of catches as in goes down, making for an odd ride. I’ll be moving the Brooks B67 Imperial over to the Gazelle from my Xtracycle.

Oh! First post here. I’m Steve from northern Ohio. We picked up our Gazelles one week ago. They are our first e-bikes(and the only ones we even test rode), our first bikes with disk brakes, and my first bike that isn’t built from brazed lugged steel tubes. Quite a change!

View attachment 158599
I cannot fail noticing the saddles on your both Gazelles are installed in a dramatically low position, Steve. Did you fit your e-bikes after the purchase? (I mean, taking an advice from the rep).

Because the stock Gazelle photo looks like that:
1689910155157.png

Just wondering if raising the seats on your e-bikes would not be optimal for you?

Interestingly enough, my setup looks exactly like Steve’s and Ginger’s. Not sure I could handle that seat position. Upon further investigation, taking a measuring tape and level, the difference in my case from the photo is approximately 1.5”.

Last edited:
I cannot fail noticing the saddles on your both Gazelles are installed in a dramatically low position, Steve. Did you fit your e-bikes after the purchase? (I mean, taking an advice from the rep).

Because the stock Gazelle photo looks like that:
View attachment 158610

Just wondering if raising the seats on your e-bikes would not be optimal for you?
Yep, because Deb has not ridden a bike in several years, most of the time was spent catering to her fit and understanding of the bike. I test rode the mid sized frame, but bought the small, since I seem to be at the age where I'm shrinking. (Once upon a time I was a gigantic 5'8", but now I'm 5'6-1/2"...) I've known the shop's owner for 50 years, and she knew I'm able to set the bike to my liking. So I left the store as shown. The saddle is now 2+" higher, and moved back on the rails as far as possible. Not quite like the stock photo above, but much closer. Base on the angle of the seat stay compared to mine, I'm thinking the stock photo is of a large frame.

Today I ordered a Kiox 300 upgrade kit from Germany for Deb's C5, and received two sets of MKS removable pedals from Amazon Japan. That'll make the bikes easier to load on the 1UP rack

Well, been a few days since I’ve posted due to my trial and error adjustments to get a comfortable ride. Thus far I’ve changed out the saddle to a Selle Royal Lookin Relaxed which gives me some cushioning with thicker padding and a pair of rubber shock absorbers. Secondly many seat adjustments forward, backward and tilt to land on the right spot. These adjustments combined with a pair of padded shorts made quite a difference, not 100% but a good 75% from my day 1 ride. The only thing left to experiment with is my tire pressure, which is where I’d appreciate some feedback from those in the know.

The C380 has Schwable Energizer Plus 28 X 2 with recommended 35-65 psi.Current PSI, direct from the shop, is at the top end of 65. Easy to tell when riding as there is no flex when riding over uneven asphalt or concrete cut lines. Lastly, unrelated to the ride, I’m wondering if there is any benefit to adding a tire sealant such as Slime or another brand as an emergency flat fix?

Current PSI, direct from the shop, is at the top end of 65
Far too high. 45 psi would be adequate and it would soften your rides dramatically. How much do you weigh? Any idea of the Gazelle weight? Do you carry any significant cargo with you?

Far too high. 45 psi would be adequate and it would soften your rides dramatically. How much do you weigh? Any idea of the Gazelle weight? Do you carry any significant cargo with you?
The bike weight is listed at 25.6kg. I weigh 70.8kg and I do not carry any cargo weight of any significance. Right now I’m primarily doing local trail rides ( 90% asphalt) of +/- 30 km per day until such time as I get accustomed to riding again after many years.

Back