Sun Tour NCX SP-12 Suspended Seatpost on my Dash

Charly Banana

I really love this seat post. It rides really well. I got the 31.6mm version along with the heavier spring that supports 220 to 264 lbs. There's an adjustment on the seat post bottom to fine adjust the spring. It appears to be made really well. The pins and frame are all solid with brass bushings. Plus, it's kinda cool that it matches the Sun Tour NCX front suspension forks that I have on my Dash. Nice alternative to the Thudbuster.

suntour-ncx-sp-12-seat-post.jpg suntour-ncx-suspension-seatpost-specs.jpg

I was not able to test one when I was looking at the Thudbuster. I have heard 2 people who tried both liked this better...

Mark

Clever design. Do you have this on your bike Charlie? Have you had it installed long?

Charly,
thanks again for the recommend on the fenders, I put mine on last night and will post back to that thread with a couple alternate mounting ideas.
But now I want this seatpost, where did you find it? Google is not being my friend today.

I got mine from xxcycle.com in France. The price was $74 and took 4 days to get from France to Eugene, OR. I used PayPal to purchase. I just checked my link to the seatpost and it looks like they are out of stock.
Here's the links to the items I purchased.
http://www.xxcycle.com/seat-post-suspended-sun-tour-ncx-sp-12-316-mm,,en.php
http://www.xxcycle.com/coil-spring-ncx-sp12-100-120-kg,,en.php
http://www.xxcycle.com/case-seatpost-suntour-ncx-sp-12,,en.php

By the way, that spring photo is a generic photo of a spring. The real spring is a heavy duty spring much stronger.

Last edited:
I would really appreciate any help in finding one of these (in 31.6 mm) 'anywhere' that ships to the U.S. (thanks).

Thanks...it looks like you saved me a considerable amount even shipped halfway around the world over the Thudbuster. It would be nice to hear from somebody who believes that the Thudbuster is the way to go and why.

Thanks...it looks like you saved me a considerable amount even shipped halfway around the world over the Thudbuster. It would be nice to hear from somebody who believes that the Thudbuster is the way to go and why.
My total order including seatpost, extra heavy spring, cover and shipping was 85 euro which is about $116.
And I ordered on May 12 and it was at my doorstep on May 17 just 5 days.
Compare that to Rei which took 2 weeks to deliver my in stock Dash from Seattle,WA to Eugene, OR

Regarding Thudbuster, I read quite a few reviews where the pivoting brackets or hollow pins either wore out or broke. Thudbuster even sells a kit to rebuild the brackets and pins. And when I looked at the rebuild instructions and saw the parts exploded view, it was clear to me that Thudbuster was more interested in building a light weight unit rather than building a strong unit.

The Sun Tour NCX SP-12 is a well built unit with solid brackets and pins.

Excellent. I will wait until the French provide me with evidently what the American market cannot. Now I can only hope that the OEM Dash saddle is up to the task that my rear will put it through. Also, I have no idea whether one 'suspends' the stem or (instead) focuses their efforts on suspending the saddle...or whether doing 'both' simply defeats the purpose. I would think that purchasing the SP-12 would allow one to simply purchase a decent seat...and call it a day.

Keep in mind that there are difference size springs available for the SP-12.
It comes with a spring rated at 70/95 kg which equals 154/209 lbs.
The hard spring is rated at 100/120 kg which equals 220/264 lbs.
The soft spring is rated at 65 kg or less which equals 143 lbs or less.

Since I weigh about 250 lbs, I purchased the hard spring to replace the spring that comes with the SP-12

If you look at my picture at the beginning of the post, I have a suspended seatpost and a suspended Serfas seat HSS (Hybrid Suspension System). Works for me. My ride is real smooth.

We carry these Suntour NCX setaposts and at 1/2 the cost of Thudbuster, it provides great value.
We reserve these for our in-store customers but will be happy to help if you need something. However, we don't have those neoprene covers. This EU store seems to carry them.

Depends on the size of the seatpost on your Volton, and there are only 2 sizes it could be. I don't see the size listed in the specs, but you should be able to email them and ask if you can't find it in the manual. It will be either 27.2mm or 31.6mm and once you know that you will know which Suntour seat post size to select as it will be one or the other.

On my Easy Motion ebike the seatpost size is 31.6mm so that's the size Suntour I purchased. And I really do like the seatpost. I notice a difference for sure!

I also just placed an order for a Brooks B17 S saddle. It will be interesting to see how the combo of Suntour suspension post + Brooks works out.

Last edited:
There are unique sizes between 27.2 and 31.6 as well! You can buy shims to make the smaller one fit a larger tune as well. That site seems like a very good price for the post, might get one myself!

Back