Show us pictures of where you ride your ebikes!

Hey, we want our money back! Not a word about tropical storms when we moved to coastal San Diego County a year ago. ;^}

203909.png

So far, so good in Carlsbad. As of 1500 PDT, steady light rain for the last 3 hrs. Current NOAA maps show the eye still 100+ mi SSE with tropical storm-force winds due anytime now. At the moment, no wind at all!

Yesterday's late afternoon coast ride included a pre-storm survey of a 6-mile stretch of south Carlsbad beaches. (Rough duty, I know, but somebody has to do it.) Repeated the survey by car at 1300 today.

20230819_162026.jpg

On South Ponto Beach's high loose cobble berm looking north. Will be interesting to see if the scant forebeach sand below to the left is still there after the storm.

20230819_162052.jpg

Yesterday's surf at South Ponto was low (well under 2 ft) and almost glassy. No sign of a coming storm in the water.

20230819_160111.jpg

Yesterday's vanguard storm clouds over a much sandier North Ponto Beach. August skies have been more gray than sunny. But these clouds were different — much higher and much more structured than the usual low marine layer cloud deck.

20230819_160051.jpg

From yesterday, new sandbags to protect North Ponto Beach from Coast Highway and parking lot runoff. Per the lifeguard, nearby state campgrounds were being emptied yesterday, but no planned beach closures. The beaches were still open today, but the low-lying Tamarack State Beach parking lot had been closed.

Last edited:
San Diego Padres fan here.
Where is the blue skies and waters?
I hear San Diego is top 5 on most expensive places to live.
Just joking 🙃. Thanks for sharing lovely views.

Hey, we want our money back! Not a word about tropical storms when we moved to coastal San Diego County a year ago. ;^}

So far, so good in Carlsbad. As of 1500 PDT, steady light rain for the last 3 hrs. Current NOAA maps show the eye still 100+ mi SSE with tropical storm-force winds due anytime now. At the moment, no wind at all!

Yesterday's late afternoon coast ride included a pre-storm survey of a 6-mile stretch of south Carlsbad beaches. (Rough duty, I know, but somebody has to do it.) Repeated the survey by car at 1300 today.

On South Ponto Beach's high loose cobble berm looking north. Will be interesting to see if the scant forebeach sand below to the left is still there after the storm.

Yesterday's surf at South Ponto was low (well under 2 ft) and almost glassy. No sign of a coming storm in the water.

Yesterday's vanguard storm clouds over a much sandier North Ponto Beach. August skies have been more gray than sunny. But these clouds were different — much higher and much more structured than the usual low marine layer cloud deck.

From yesterday, new sandbags to protect North Ponto Beach from Coast Highway and parking lot runoff. Per the lifeguard, nearby state campgrounds were being emptied yesterday, but no planned beach closures. The beaches were still open today, but the low-lying Tamarack State Beach parking lot had been closed.
Hey, why not take advantage of the situation with these:

And:

😄😄

A rare treat from tropical cyclone Hilary — the gorgeous 1.6-mile bluff-top road through Carlsbad State Beach Campground all to myself on a summer day!

20230821_161543.jpg
20230821_161620.jpg

Rangers emptied the campground on Saturday, the day before Hilary's dash through SoCal, and kept them empty through Monday, the day after.

20230821_114655.jpg

By mid-morning Monday, nothing left of the storm but these unseasonal mid- and upper-level clouds. Forecasters talked about straggling rain bands and thundershowers, but they never materialized.

It did cloud- and haze-up again later in the day, as you can see in the first 2 photos. But at least the clouds had some interesting structure — unlike the boring low marine-layer cloud decks we've had for most of "Fogust".

20230215_171316.jpg

The Carlsbad campground is 7 minutes down the hill from my house. It's often deserted in the winter, and that's when I use the not-quite-flat campground road to either escape Coast Highway traffic or turn 3.2-mile laps with entertaining ocean views the whole way. This photo was from an exceptionally clear February afternoon.

20230821_160205.jpg

While I was out, rode the coast from the campground to Carlsbad Village to see what Hilary had wrought. Short answer: Not much. Some palm litter here and there and minor gullying where Coast Highway runoff took a shortcut to the ocean at North Ponto Beach.

Also saw minor sand loss at North Ponto but none at Tamarack Beach just 2 mi north. Oddly, the surf stayed low the whole time.

1200x0.jpg

The mountains and deserts to our east got record one-day rainfalls and some flash flooding but no major damage or loss of life. Here on the coast, we got half a day of mostly light wind and rain — a yawn compared to some of last winter's Pacific storms and atmospheric rivers. This despite the eye having passed less than 30 mi inland.

Screenshot_20230823_192519_Chrome.jpg

Our unlikely savior was that huge high-pressure dome parked over the central US. While it was busy scorching half the country on Sunday, the upper-level winds running clockwise around it were sweeping Hilary along to the north at nearly 25 mph. If Hilary had pulled a Hurricane Harvey and crawled by instead, I might be telling a very different story.

Last edited:
A couple weeks ago I went for a ride on the Enola Low Grade trail. I did 13.5 miles out and back. Fun and easy trail to ride in the southern part of the county. Runs from the base of Turkey Hill and goes to Christiana PA, I think 42 miles.

Recent rock slide.
J8aByw.jpg

UTNQFu.jpg

Back side of the Safe Harbor Dam, I used to fish here as a kid.
D4QfeC.jpg

dBMuFP.jpg

OcY7mi.jpg

yisOos.jpg

Front side of the dam from the bridge over the Conestoga River where it enters the Susquehanna
ZFR7OW.jpg

This is a bridge that was set on fire a few years ago and has since been rebuilt. It's an old railroad trestle bridge. Buddy of mine went across it on his motorcycle back when it was still a rail bridge. I think it's 210 feet over the road below.
RgNqmB.jpg

Saw this bike tool stand at around 12 miles out. Looks like someone's Eagle Scout Project.
3YDKPm.jpg

This is the downhill of 272 coming out of Buck and heading towards Willow Street, it's the only part of the road I could see from the top of the tunnel.
iTklEW.jpg

Next time I go down, I'm going to start at the lot where the tool stand was and get into Quarryville.

A couple weeks ago I went for a ride on the Enola Low Grade trail. I did 13.5 miles out and back. Fun and easy trail to ride in the southern part of the county. Runs from the base of Turkey Hill and goes to Christiana PA, I think 42 miles.

Recent rock slide.
J8aByw.jpg

UTNQFu.jpg

Back side of the Safe Harbor Dam, I used to fish here as a kid.
D4QfeC.jpg

dBMuFP.jpg

OcY7mi.jpg

yisOos.jpg

Front side of the dam from the bridge over the Conestoga River where it enters the Susquehanna
ZFR7OW.jpg

This is a bridge that was set on fire a few years ago and has since been rebuilt. It's an old railroad trestle bridge. Buddy of mine went across it on his motorcycle back when it was still a rail bridge. I think it's 210 feet over the road below.
RgNqmB.jpg

Saw this bike tool stand at around 12 miles out. Looks like someone's Eagle Scout Project.
3YDKPm.jpg

This is the downhill of 272 coming out of Buck and heading towards Willow Street, it's the only part of the road I could see from the top of the tunnel.
iTklEW.jpg

Next time I go down, I'm going to start at the lot where the tool stand was and get into Quarryville.
Nice!
I've seen a couple of those tool stands as well.

Counting bridgeway on my test ride after doing owner performed maintenance. On my ebike , 5 mile jaunt. End of the month maintenance.
Balls to the wall ride I gave it all my weight on the pedals.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230827_110326_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230827_110326_Photos.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 73
  • Screenshot_20230827_110309_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230827_110309_Photos.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20230827_110222_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230827_110222_Photos.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot_20230827_110348_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20230827_110348_Photos.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 64
I wanted to ride on Saturday, but thought the fire smoke was a bad idea. So I did some chores and checked my bike over.

Today is/was similar but I couldn't help myself, so went out for a quickie down to the Mud Bay parking lot and back.

At first glance, it seems OK...

The big picture shows too much smoke. My throat and lungs agree...

On the way home I tackled this hill which peaks around 13%...

Need water... the smoke taste is... disturbing...

Love this short downhill dirt track...

Only 23kms today. I did not want to push it while sucking in smoke...

Back