Show us pictures of where you ride your ebikes!

One of the greatest things I found in the United States was a bookstore and a cafe (like Starbucks) under one roof. After I got proper coffee at Starbucks, I could roam between shelves and buying books. I spent US$50 on books at that time, and trust me: it was a lot for me a quarter century ago! :) (The money bought me three books).
The bookstore/cafe combo's pretty common here. My favorite, The Tattered Cover in downtown Denver, was amazingly popular for a bookstore. Hit all the right notes: Historic 3-story building with all-wood interior, creaky old stairs, vast selection with books stuffed in every nook and cranny, knowledgeable staff, great people-watching, many tables in the cafe to start on the book you just bought over coffee and pastries. A real classic.

Better yet, it was a short walk from Union Station, another historic downtown Denver hangout hitting many of the same notes plus great train-watching. Similar vibe to some of the European train stations I've had the good fortune to visit.

Under the gun :rolleyes:

b52 under the gun.jpg

Can anyone guess the plane?

under B52 engines.jpg

Today's new-pedal test ride took me north on the Coast Highway to Carlsbad Village, the touristy downtown part of Carlsbad, CA. (Thankfully, we live at the much less visited south end.)

20230611_163447.jpg

Heard an excellent live cover of No Time (left for you) by The Guess Who coming from the Coyote Bar & Grill on the way through the Village and stopped to investigate.

The band and many in the patio audience were clearly stuck in the 70s — including one gray-haired gal dancing alone between tables in that stoned swaying arms-up style you've see in footage of the Flower Children in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park. Boy, did that bring back memories from my hippie days!

20230611_163241.jpg

That well-worn bass guitar also looked like a relic from 70s.

20230611_163256.jpg

Bass player (beard), guitarist (blue shirt by window) and a fan of the band with a very sweet dog who had a big friendly smile for everyone who passed by.

20230611_164624.jpg
20230611_164658.jpg

My turnaround at the north end of the Village was Maxton Brown Park, a pretty grassy knoll overlooking Buena Vista Lagoon.

20230611_164246.jpg

Buena Vista is more salt marsh than open body of water.

20230611_164351.jpg

The Coast Highway (left] crosses it on a causeway barely above water level. That's south Oceanside on the far side.

20230611_164428.jpg

Guessing that Lt. Brown was a local WWII hero.

From there, it was a dash home for dinner. Really liking those new pedals!

Last edited:
Drove out to South Dakota to ride here. Very nice, except for the gravel and occasional locked rest rooms.
F5231852.JPG

F5231883.JPG
F5231922.JPG
F5231897.JPG

Unfortunately, my wife crashed in the longest tunnel (too dark), so I rode alone the next few days. Then I crashed on a really washed out descending section of trail. Like riding on marbles. Limping back up, I saw an orange cone. Two gals told me that meant it was closed.
'
I did some more riding in Minnesota on the way home. I prefer the paved. civilized trails there.
P1660206.JPG

When we got home, my wife went to ER and found she had some cracked ribs. I still had a badly swollen leg from my fall, and they checked for clots. None, so they told me to take nine advils a day. Us old folks gotta take it easy.
With my wife sidelined, I don't feel like riding my ebikes solo. I took my regular bike down from the rafters and have been riding that til she's recovered. I ride to this local trail. Flat, with plenty of shade to block the sun and wind. It's got deer and beavers. Ride about an hour. Feel like the CIty mouse back at home.

IMG_3728.JPEG

Drove out to South Dakota to ride here. Very nice, except for the gravel and occasional locked rest rooms.
View attachment 155868
View attachment 155869View attachment 155872View attachment 155871
Unfortunately, my wife crashed in the longest tunnel (too dark), so I rode alone the next few days. Then I crashed on a really washed out descending section of trail. Like riding on marbles. Limping back up, I saw an orange cone. Two gals told me that meant it was closed.
'
I did some more riding in Minnesota on the way home. I prefer the paved. civilized trails there.
View attachment 155873
When we got home, my wife went to ER and found she had some cracked ribs. I still had a badly swollen leg from my fall, and they checked for clots. None, so they told me to take nine advils a day. Us old folks gotta take it easy.
With my wife sidelined, I don't feel like riding my ebikes solo. I took my regular bike down from the rafters and have been riding that til she's recovered. I ride to this local trail. Flat, with plenty of shade to block the sun and wind. It's got deer and beavers. Ride about an hour. Feel like the CIty mouse back at home.

View attachment 155876
Sorry to hear about the "unscheduled meeting with the dirt" for both you and Mrs. Harry!
Keep the rubber side down mate!

View attachment 155868
View attachment 155869View attachment 155872View attachment 155871
'
View attachment 155873

View attachment 155876
That darned gravity! Can't live with it, can't live without it. Hope the two of you heal up ASAP.

Where in SD? First 2 photos reminded me of our last drive through SD, headed north to Cedar Rapids on US395 through the SE Black Hills. Gorgeous!

With safe routes, the Black Hills would be a stunning place to ride.

The heat and smoke from the wildfires have put a hold on our rides for the past couple of days but we finally caught a break one evening. It was nice to hit a few pockets of cool air and naturally the sunset was the icing on the proverbial cake. Much needed rain is in the forecast for the next day or so and it’s also cooled considerably. The mercury dropped from a high of 30C yesterday down to 12C this morning.

The gash on my left arm that I suffered from a crash during my last trail ride in Lake Louise is healing slowly and it will leave a nasty scar as a reminder for not wearing protection when I absolutely should have. :rolleyes:

PXL_20230613_032245514.jpg

I saw a Coyote 🐺 yesterday !!!
Well, not really,.. lol
It was a life-sized cardboard cutout, but I got a kick out of it.
I don't know what the point of it was?
Perhaps to help scare the 🦌 out of the fields? Or maybe just to get people like me to stop and look? lol
One year, our HOA back in Denver bought a dozen of those coyote effigies to scare off Canada geese. The geese were taking over the neighborhood's small lake. Goose poop everywhere — especially on the path around the lake — and all the grass was grazed down to stubble.

One day, the dogs and I came around a big bush on that path and startled a group of maybe 10 geese in the water nearby. Instead of swimming to safety farther offshore, they all swam full speed ahead along the shore until they had a fake coyote directly between me and them. Then they reversed course so as to keep the coyote in between as the dogs and I walked on.

In the minds of those geese, the effigy wasn't a threat. It was their protector!

That was the first and last year the HOA bought fake coyotes.

Last edited:
It was another stunning 30 km twilight ride tonight and conditions couldn’t have been better. Winds were light as we took to the rural roads just before the sun began to set highlighting the vivid green fields below.

We take great pleasure from these acoustic rides in the evening as the payoff is evident. Simple yet surreal. No din of traffic, construction noise, barking dogs, blaring music from cars, no afternoon heat to deal with and best of all the days are longer. We were serenaded by the melodic croak of frogs calling out to their mates as well as the cheerful chirps of red wing black birds as they flitted back and forth across the road among the many marshes.

GH012063 - frame at 0m31s.jpg

GH012065 - frame at 1m6s.jpg

Back