Show us pictures of where you ride your ebikes!

Sunny SoCal my ass! Yesterday was the first time I've seen blue sky and a sharp ocean horizon in 2-3 weeks.

20230524_184903.jpg

That sliver of blue on the left marks a small break in our marine (air) layer — a persistant late-spring, early-summer thermal inversion blanketing the still-cool coastal waters off SoCal.

20230523_155529.jpg

Low stratocumulus cloud decks like this one last week mark the upper marine layer. Daily sea breezes and prevailing westerlies conspire to push the layer and its clouds varying distances onshore — often for days at a time. And upper-level highs sometimes push the clouds down to the ground. Day before yesterday, that meant all-day drizzle in the low 60s.

20230524_172848.jpg

From yesterday's ride, the marine layer cloud deck edge-on. These low clouds usually peak in May and June — hence the popular names May Gray and June Gloom. This May has certainly lived up to the gray part.

20230408_155009.jpg
20230517_115514.jpg

Moonlight Beach from rides in April and May.

13412906_1246005735411420_7976637259448705145_n.jpg

As you can see in this NASA satellite image, this marine layer of ours is no small thing. It extends far offshore — and on this particular day, far inland as well. The big swirl, the Catalina eddy, is a persistant feature.

It helps to think about the big picture when I catch myself pining for blue sky. The marine layer's a fascinating large-scale Goldilocks process requiring just the right seasonal mix of sea surface temperatures, near-surface air temperatures, ocean current patterns, low-level wind patterns, and upper-level highs. The essential ingredients come together at this scale in only a few places worldwide.

Last edited:
Follow-up on post #4262, wherein I shared a small but welcome break in the low cloud cover present here since early May. As mentioned, these persistent "May Gray" clouds mark our marine (air) layer — a seasonal offshore thermal inversion big enough to blanket the entire SoCal coast for days on end this time of year.

20230526_174234.jpg

Well, that small break grew over the following day, and by yesterday, one day later, the marine layer and its cloud deck had retreated over the horizon — which from this vantage on the bluff above Beacon's Beach is 12-13 miles away.

20230526_174448.jpg

Further north, however, the gray marine layer was still close to shore. This photo looking roughly NW shows it lurking just above the horizon (and no doubt behind as well). Wonder if Oceanside was under there?

But all that was yesterday afternoon. By this morning, my local marine layer window was starting to close, with the clouds in the vanguard already overhead.

Beacon's Beach

20230526_181956.jpg

Beacon's Beach is a popular reef break in north Encinitas. Nearly all of the bikes parked here were electric fatties — most with surfboard racks hanging off one side. Anyone familiar with 1960s surfing movies will recognize the old wood-paneled station wagon at the top of the sign. Back then, the "woodie" was the board transport of choice.

20230526_174900.jpg
20230526_174910.jpg

Contrary to popular belief — and to the great disappointment of many — California is not going to fall into the sea along the San Andreas Fault. However, it is crumbling at the edges as rock-laden storm waves undercut our sea cliffs. Gravity does the rest.

The high bluff at Beacon's is actively participating in this process. If Earth science teaches anything, it's that gravity always wins in the end.

20230526_175135.jpg

The surf at Beacon's is fun to watch. When larger incoming waves hit the curved seawall at upper right, they reflect back into the surf with semicircular wavefronts.

20230526_175133.jpg

When the crest of an outgoing reflection combines with the crest of an incoming breaker, the combined crest shoots straight up into the air! These constructive interferences can be quite explosive. Should be a good show on big surf days.

Very grateful to live in such a dynamic place.

Last edited:
Follow-up on post #4262, wherein I shared a small break in the low cloud cover present here since early May. As mentioned, these persistent "May Gray" clouds mark our marine (air) layer — a seasonal offshore thermal inversion big enough to blanket the entire SoCal coast for days on end this time of year.

View attachment 154533
Well, that small break grew over the following day, and by yesterday, one day later, the marine layer and its cloud deck had retreated over the horizon — which from this vantage on the bluff above Beacon's Beach is 12-13 miles away.

View attachment 154539
Nonetheless, the gray marine layer was still close to shore to the north yesterday, and today, it's coming back ashore here.

View attachment 154534
Beacon's Beach is a popular reef break in north Encinitas. Nearly all of the bikes parked here were fatties — most with surfboard racks hanging off one side. Anyone familiar with 1960s surfing movies will recognize the old wood-paneled station wagon at the top of the sign. Back then, the "woodie" was the board transport of choice.

View attachment 154538View attachment 154537
Contrary to popular belief — and to the great disappointment of many — California is not going to fall into the sea along the San Andreas Fault. However, it is crumbling at the edges as rock-laden storm waves undercut our sea cliffs. Gravity does the rest.

The high bluff at Beacon's is actively participating in this process. If Earth science teaches anything, it's that gravity always wins in the end.

View attachment 154535
The surf at Beacon's is fun to watch. When larger incoming waves hit the curved seawall at upper right, they reflect back into the surf with a semicircular wavefront.

View attachment 154536
When an incoming breaker hits an outgoing reflection, the breaker suddenly jumps straight up into the air! These constructive interferences can be quite explosive.

Very grateful to live in such a dynamic place.
I tried lying once...
It was a complete natural bluff failure!

Last two rides this time...
I am so far behind last year it's ridiculous. Weather and work has taken its toll this year so far.
Only at 415km so far , and I'd have been pushing close to 1000 last year by this time.
Oh well... carry on!

Last week...

And today...

On my way back from Tynehead park I happened across a rather sad looking fellow ebiker. He had it upside down on a sidewalk, and as I rode up to offer help I saw him kick his battery. Lol!
I asked him if there was something I could help with and he immediately went into an expletive laced tirade that would have made a Hell's Angel cringe.
In any case, apparently his bike just isn't reliable at all from a power perspective. Just keeps quitting on him.
His sleeves of tattoos of the devil, and skulls etc. along with his incessant swearing kept me sympathetic but cautious. Let's just say he's less than enamored with his Luna kit conversion.
He called a taxi. He thanked me for stopping and offering assistance. I left.
Beer time...

Last edited:
On my way back from Tynehead park I happened across a rather sad looking fellow ebiker. He had it upside down on a sidewalk, and as I rode up to offer help I saw him kick his battery. Lol!
I asked him if there was something I could help with and he immediately went into an expletive laced tirade that would have made a Hell's Angel cringe.
In any case, apparently his bike just isn't reliable at all from a power perspective. Just keeps quitting on him.
His sleeves of tattoos of the devil, and skulls etc. along with his incessant swearing kept me sympathetic but cautious. Let's just say he's less than enamored with his Luna kit conversion.
He called a taxi. He thanked me for stopping and offering assistance. I left.
Beer time...
Still plenty of time yet Dave and the days are getting longer too. As for the fellow in distress, I think you did the right thing by playing the role of a good Samaritan. You could have easily ridden by and ignored his tantrum and despite his gruff demeanor it appeared that he appreciated your sincerity. Perhaps your random act of kindness won’t go unnoticed. 🤞

Still plenty of time yet Dave and the days are getting longer too. As for the fellow in distress, I think you did the right thing by playing the role of a good Samaritan. You could have easily ridden by and ignored his tantrum and despite his gruff demeanor it appeared that he appreciated your sincerity. Perhaps your random act of kindness won’t go unnoticed. 🤞
Thanks mate!
I left my "angry young man" tude a loooooong time ago.
I hope he does that too.

My windows are about as far from the edge here as the lattice in the pic.

The marine layer can lay in thick here whlle a mile away the sun is shining. Especially when it is hot in the I5 corridor. Keeps the heat down though which I like. It was 70d and clear here a few weekends ago and 6 crow miles inland it was 95.

Fortunately the house is on solid Basalt erosion will take awhile.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 4.39.01 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 4.39.01 PM.png
    924.9 KB · Views: 84
My windows are about as far from the edge here as the lattice in the pic.

The marine layer can lay in thick here whlle a mile away the sun is shining. Especially when it is hot in the I5 corridor. Keeps the heat down though which I like. It was 70d and clear here a few weekends ago and 6 crow miles inland it was 95.

Fortunately the house is on solid Basalt erosion will take awhile.
Good to know. This will be our first June through August here. Temperatures are perfect for riding near the coast now. Guessing I'm gonna be missing that marine layer come late summer.

First off a photo from the ranch house looking towards a gentle range of mountains called the Bobtails - over the past two years I'm getting to know many of the trails over this area. On the left side of photo notice the many solar panels providing energy to this off grid ranch. Today's ride was fun as I had my own support team although my dog left me for the comfort of the side by side. And of course the best part is an ale or two getting back home.View attachment 154667
20230528_180702.jpg
20230528_155650.jpg
20230526_174111.jpg

First off a photo from the ranch house looking towards a gentle range of mountains called the Bobtails - over the past two years I'm getting to know many of the trails over this area. On the left side of photo notice the many solar panels providing energy to this off grid ranch. Today's ride was fun as I had my own support team although my dog left me for the comfort of the side by side. And of course the best part is an ale or two getting back home.View attachment 154667View attachment 154668View attachment 154669View attachment 154670
AK Pale Ale FTW!

NB: Follow-up post here.

Hadn't paid much attention to the little French bistro close to our house till 2 days ago. What a mistake!

20230527_101418.jpg

Most rides take me right past L'Atelelier de Paris. It's an easy 5 min from home by bike, the prices are reasonable, and it's casual and friendly. Turns out, they have a great all-day breakfast menu. With outdoor seating that lets me lock up my bike close by. (Still overly anxious about leaving it anywhere.)

20230527_101310.jpg

Then there are the French pastries. This yummy apricot tart was half gone before I thought to take a photo for @Stefan Mikes , the mentor who taught me the importance of pastries in ebiking.

The Rook and I are going to be spending a lot of mornings and money here.

Last edited:
Hadn't paid much attention to the little French bistro close to our house till 2 days ago. What a mistake!

View attachment 154808
Most rides take me right past L'Atelelier de Paris. It's an easy 5 min from home by bike, the prices are reasonable, and it's casual and friendly. Turns out, they have a great all-day breakfast menu. With outdoor seating that lets me lock up my bike close by. (Still overly anxious about leaving it anywhere.)

View attachment 154809
Then there are the French pastries. This yummy apricot tart was half gone before I thought to take a photo for @Stefan Mikes , the mentor who taught me the importance of pastries in ebiking.

The Rook and I are going to be spending a lot of mornings and money here.
Looks delish!
And I share your paranoia regarding bike theft.

This morning, Kathy and I went back to that little French bistro I wrote about yesterday. This time, I got some pictures.

20230531_094309.jpg

The storefront doesn't look like much, but the food and pastries are great, and at 5 minutes from home, it couldn't be more convenient.

20230531_094331.jpg

Could only lock the bikes together this time, as Kathy forgot her key. But our table was just on the other side of the fence, so secure enough for a worry-free breakfast. That Abus folding lock is probably the best security I'd be willing to carry, but what a royal PITA to deploy!

20230531_160751.jpg

How could I not have noticed this logo before?? The name means "Paris workshop". All the savory crepes were named "Miss X", with X being some famous place on France's Mediterranean coast.

20230520_163749.jpg

After breakfast, took an 8-minute jaunt to North Ponto beach to watch the waves. This is our quickest and easiest place to get up close and personal with the Pacific, as the surf's quite close to the Coast Highway here and only a little below road level. (Photo from a few days earlier.)

20230531_112000.jpg

Ground squirrels work the beach and bluffs here. Fun watching mom and her 2 little ones scamper around less than 15 ft away.

20230531_111924.jpg

The 13-second west swell coming in was too low to attract many surfers. This one didn't have much luck on his fancy foilboard. If that's not cutting-edge enough for you, you can now get electric foilboards.

Last edited:
Back