Show us pictures of where you ride your ebikes!

This morning, Kathy and I went back to that little French bistro I wrote about yesterday. This time, I got some pictures.

View attachment 154927
The storefront doesn't look like much, but the food and pastries are great, and at 5 minutes from home, it couldn't be more convenient.

View attachment 154928
Could only lock the bikes together this time, as Kathy forgot her key. But our table was just on the other side of the fence, so secure enough for a worry-free breakfast. That Abus folding lock is probably the best security I'd be willing to carry, but what a royal PITA to deploy!

View attachment 154926
How could I not have noticed this logo before?? The name means "Paris workshop". All the savory crepes were named "Miss X", with X being some famous place on France's Mediterranean coast.

View attachment 154931
After breakfast, took an 8-minute jaunt to North Ponto beach to watch the waves. This is our quickest and easiest place to get up close and personal with the Pacific, as the surf's quite close to the Coast Highway here and only a little below road level. (Photo from a few days earlier.)

View attachment 154930
Ground squirrels work the beach and bluffs here. Fun watching mom and her 2 little ones scamper around less than 15 ft away.

View attachment 154929
The 13-second west swell coming in was too low to attract many surfers. This one didn't have much luck on his fancy foilboard. If that's not cutting-edge enough for you, you can now get electric foilboards.
I really need to ride my Werk again. But still in a honeymoon phase with the new bike.

The storefront doesn't look like much, but the food and pastries are great, and at 5 minutes from home, it couldn't be more convenient.
The beach looks like an excellent place for a tailgate a la ebike but with L’atalier nearby, it might be more favorable to eat there. Hope to see more savory items on the bistro menu on your next visit. 😋

Nothing really exciting here, just 26 paved miles of secluded trail passing through woods and peaceful farmland.

IMG_003539b.jpg
IMG_003540b.jpg

The most interesting thing was watching one of the local residents cross the trail:

IMG_003537b.jpg
IMG_003536a.jpg

It's the Rail 66 Trail in northwestern PA and, IMO, one of the most underrated trails in the state.

One of a number of shallow wetlands that we pass by on our daily rural road rides. It’s certainly a far cry from the routes that we take when venturing out on the open highways.

PXL_20230602_175317934.jpg

Later this afternoon, after riding the trails, I came across some pelicans that were wading near the river shoreline. They breed and nest here from May through to October.

PXL_20230602_211758736.jpg

Just got back from a decent ride. Got some chores done and then took off with the idea to acquire a "fastest 40km" segment. So I headed out on the flats of Delta to give myself a fighting chance.
Not a whole lot of pics as I wanted to keep the motion up.
My first stop was 25k in (almost half way)...

Entering Mud Bay trail at the bottom of 64th. You can see Mt. Baker in the distance to the South/East in Washington State.

Fastest 40km came at the end of the Mud Bay trail near the parking lot @ 1h 46m...

Just in time to see a train heading south to USA...

Finished the last of the water with Nuun tabs...

Total battery abuse...

Time for a lager...

Just got back from a decent ride. Got some chores done and then took off with the idea to acquire a "fastest 40km" segment. So I headed out on the flats of Delta to give myself a fighting chance.
Not a whole lot of pics as I wanted to keep the motion up.
My first stop was 25k in (almost half way)...

Entering Mud Bay trail at the bottom of 64th. You can see Mt. Baker in the distance to the South/East in Washington State.

Fastest 40km came at the end of the Mud Bay trail near the parking lot @ 1h 46m...

Just in time to see a train heading south to USA...

Finished the last of the water with Nuun tabs...

Total battery abuse...

Time for a lager...
Judging by your pics and your impressive efforts (chores and a ride), I can see why a recent survey found that most British Columbians love their outdoor activities. Lager time counts too as long as you’re sipping those suds outside! :cool:

BTW, today was BC Trails Day. 👍

Many rides south on the Coast Highway take me right by this sign for Cadence Cyclery. But somehow never noticed that they sell more than bikes. So today I stopped to investigate.

20230608_174638.jpg

Inside, I found one big room with bikes at one end and a fully equipped coffee/sandwich shop at the other, complete with counter service and maybe 6 tables. Interesting business model.

20230608_175127.jpg

But make no mistake — it's a serious bike shop selling mostly non-electric Specialized road bikes like this $5,500 beauty. Would've shot the S-works nearby, but the lighting was bad.

20230608_174822.jpg

20230608_174827.jpg

First Haul ST I've seen in person. Who knew you could touch any Specialized ebike for $2,700? The friendly young man behind the counter said the Haul's a ton of fun to ride.

20230511_145114.jpg

From the bike shop, it was just a few minutes to my turnaround at Moonlight Beach — a small but very popular pocket beach at the mouth of Cottonwood Creek in Encinitas. The creek cut itself a nice little canyon in its last half-mile to the ocean here. Several residential streets head straight up the canyon walls to the north and south — all with one-block grades well in excess of 12%.

20230608_180417.jpg

This one has the steepest grade I've encountered in North (San Diego) County, and that's saying something! Gotta be at least 16%. Of course, photos never do grades justice.

Screenshot_20230608_215022_Ride with GPS.jpg

And often, as I'm finding out, neither does RideWithGPS. The blue overlay is grade, and the cursor marks the street above on my way out of the canyon. The 5.5% grade reported at the cursor is at least 67% too low.

Last edited:
Inside, I found one big room with bikes at one end and a fully equipped coffee/sandwich shop at the other. Interesting business model.
This model works very well in places frequented by cyclists.

There is an extremely popular cycling trail from Warsaw to Góra Kalwaria (Mt. Calvary), the latter being a small city on a hill. The trail is paved (with alternative gravel bike and MTB routes), and it is swarmed by cyclists especially during the warm season and on weekends (according to Strava, that road bike segment is one of the most frequented in the world!)

The meeting point is called Góra Kawiarnia (Mt. Cafe), where any cyclist feels obliged to wait in a long queue to get their coffee and cake. The cafe shares its facilities with a cycling store by name Góra Kolarska (Mt. Cycling). The LBS sells Orbea, Ridley, and some other bikes (including some electrics), parts, accessories and cycling clothes. Just fancy I bought expensive cycling clothes there! It was a situation of a cold day, and me wearing inadequate clothes. Yes, the business model you described works very well!

1686289470903.png

A mural next to the Mt. Cafe & Mt. Cycling.

1686289854004.png

In the front of the Cafe/LBS on January 1st, 2023. See the number of the bikes despite the weather!

1686290613470.png

The official photo of Mt. Cafe/Mt. Cycling.

1686290710487.png

I was participating in the Grand Opening of the combined business with a demo Specialized Creo SL (the red one in the front), Nov 20th, 2021. (The Mt. Cafe had been operating as a separate entity for years in the adjacent building).

Attachments

• 1686289579171.png
    1686289579171.png
    606.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 1686289728163.png
    1686289728163.png
    597 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
Makes sense. No shortage of bikes going right by this shop everyday year-round. Love that "official photo of Mt.Cafe/Mt. Cycling."
One of the greatest things I found in the United States was a bookstore and a cafe (like Starbucks) under one roof. After I got proper coffee at Starbucks, I could roam between shelves and buying books. I spent US$50 on books at that time, and trust me: it was a lot for me a quarter century ago! :) (The money bought me three books).

Back