Show us pictures of where you ride your ebikes!

Wattwagon?
Yep, a Hydra.

Del Valle? If it is, it’s been too long since I’ve been there. And I’ve never taken a bike ride over there…just a bit of fishing.
Yes it is. And I too had never gone there with a bike. There are seemingly tons of trails to explore, I’ll be going back. This is time of year to go too it seems, green hills. Some great views.

Alone for the Holidays so I went out and got even aloner. Although I did see 7 Elk in a clearcut. And ripped around on some snail, the peculiar combination of snow and hail we get here, that happened on me.
Snail Trail.jpg

Alone for the Holidays so I went out and got even aloner. Although I did see 7 Elk in a clearcut. And ripped around on some snail, the peculiar combination of snow and hail we get here, that happened on me.
View attachment 110134
"Snail" is a new snow word for me. I will add it to my lexicon along with "wintery mix", "slop", and "snert" (snow and dirt on the roadside). Maybe we will catch up with the Eskimos (50 plus words for types of snow, they say).

"Snail" is a new snow word for me. I will add it to my lexicon along with "wintery mix", "slop", and "snert" (snow and dirt on the roadside). Maybe we will catch up with the Eskimos (50 plus words for types of snow, they say).
Feel free.

I grew up in snow, VT., and lived for years in elevation snow country, CO., and don't miss it much living where I do now. Although the coast is forecast for snow tonight/tomorrow and up to 12"es possible. Even if it comes it won't last long but all freezing precautions are in place. Always interesting when it does happen here though and a good idea to just hunker down...

So out of curiosity, I decided to increase the travel on the Freedom (my 29er bafang Ultra emtb which I built a while back).
Originally, it had 140mm travel front and rear running on 27.5 wheels. I opted to run the Freedom as a 29er mid year and decided to play around with it more before committing to my new projects
Since that video, out back it has 150mm of rear wheel travel. Upfront, 180mm of travel.
At first, I did think it was overkill. But 'hand on heart', it actually works.
20211231_161338.jpg

As I've long since suspected, the 'Chinese styled' emtb frames tend to work best when they are over-forked. Whilst at first, you may question whether the geometry would worsen. In real world applications through trail riding, the performance (both climbing, descending, flow etc), increases the performance in terms of handling and efficiency as the rider Is put in a better position.20211231_161418.jpg

This discovery will be useful for my new emtb frames which I'm slowly building.
But for now, hopefully everyone is having a good Christmas/new year/much deserved rest period 👍🏿

"As I've long since suspected, the 'Chinese styled' emtb frames tend to work best when they are over-forked."

Which in turn slackens the head angle slightly bringing that aspect more into line with modern geo angles. Slows steering a bit but the wider bars take up the slack there and adds stability when pointed downhill. If you could get Frey/DengFu and others to make the quantum leap into fully modern geo it would be great instead they seem to just want to chip away at it. Even pretty easy to do as bike companies that have figured it out regularly list their figures online....

Happy New Year to you Neeko and stay safe and ride sane.

Love all the great pictures and info of where you are riding your ebikes. I ride mostly on bike paths, so many crazy drivers on the roads. I ride in Ohio, there are a lot of paths here. Here are a few pics of my recent ride on the Mt. Vernon to Danville bike patch on my Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0. Bought as a demo has been a good bike. Just added a Suntour NX seatpost, which really smooths out the ride.

Attachments

• IMG_20210824_131225383_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210824_131225383_HDR.jpg
    906.5 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_20210824_130723101_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210824_130723101_HDR.jpg
    730.2 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20210824_130643506_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210824_130643506_HDR.jpg
    784.5 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_20210824_104613935_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210824_104613935_HDR.jpg
    777.1 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_20210824_131245374.jpg
    IMG_20210824_131245374.jpg
    742.9 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_20210824_131248183_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210824_131248183_HDR.jpg
    880.1 KB · Views: 157
Well...
Second ride of the year. I intended to go a lot further but the trails are still packed snow/ice. Uncomfortable riding. Not impossible but not a pile of fun either (for me).

So I switched to some side roads. They were a little better but not a lot. Exactly 5kms in I geared down to 1st and dropped the chain on the rear cassette. Ugh. First chain drop on this bike.
While I got that back on, the chain dropped off the front. Dang it! 🤣
Glad my rear derailleur has a clutch, and glad I had tools in the trunk bag.
All in good fun.

Yesterday I went off to Tynehead park on the greenway again. It's about a 30km round trip.
About 5kms in I didn't see some glass on the road and as both tires ran over it you could hear the loud smash/smash. UGH!
Stopped on a side street to inspect both tires and... nothing! Phew! Was thinking I'd need to get some use out of the Stan's Dart, and the Fumpa pump.
Anyway... good ride but my hips and knees are barking at me by the time I get back.

Better make sure your brakes work on the final descent to the park. Sharp turn at the bottom!

@bexamous - Hi again neighbor!!! Lake Del Valle, Pleasanton Ridge and Morgen Territory are my favorite rides in our area. Lest not forget Mount Diablo; this is my next target when I get my second battery!!!!!
-BB

Edit- nice photos of the green!!!

Well...
Second ride of the year. I intended to go a lot further but the trails are still packed snow/ice. Uncomfortable riding. Not impossible but not a pile of fun either (for me).

So I switched to some side roads. They were a little better but not a lot. Exactly 5kms in I geared down to 1st and dropped the chain on the rear cassette. Ugh. First chain drop on this bike.
While I got that back on, the chain dropped off the front. Dang it! 🤣
Glad my rear derailleur has a clutch, and glad I had tools in the trunk bag.
All in good fun.
Do you have the frount MRP chain guide on the frount( I thinking this is your stance)?

Back