What camera do you use on your rides.

dodgeman

Region
USA
City
Macomb, Illinois
I’m not talking about dash type cameras but for the pictures of your rides you post.

I’m by no means an expert but have been taking pictures since a Cannon 35mm was popular. I had a buddy who worked at a film developing shop and I learned from him, you want good pictures, burn a lot of film. My buddy basically developed his for free, I was to cheap to burn a lot of film because developing pictures wasn’t cheap.

With todays digital world it easy to “burn film” because if you don’t like the picture, just erase it. I have a modern Cannon EOS digital camera with a couple of lenses. It’s just to big and bulky to carry so most of my pictures are taken with Apple IPhone 12 mini. The pictures are surprisingly good but there are limits, mainly by how close you have to be. The zoom quality is limited.

So what are you using for pictures?

I have been using my iPhone, but recently added a Topeak rack and bag, so I plan to bring my Lumix FZ1000 with 25-400mm zoom lens on the more scenic rides, especially when we get the fall colors.

+1 on the Panasonic Lumix series. I use an older compact DMC-ZS3 with 12X optical zoom. I also use my iPhone XS and a GoPro Hero 8 as well.

Pixel 6 Pro. The 4x optical zoom is pretty usable, and Google's computational photography masks a lot of the hw limitations.

I use a Canon Powershot 740 w/40x zoom
I usually stop for a quick photo and move on lest I get shot…still I hadn’t thought about ‘burning film’. I’ll try that.

I retired my DSLR last year as a walkaround camera. The cameras and algorithms on phones these days get me 95% of the way without the bulk. I will say they still fall well short for tele shots, but I don't shoot a lot of those. I'm a media professional so have no shortage of access to quality glass. It's just used on jobs these days.

Sometimes taking the photo is more important than getting the photo - so when I want to relax, absorb the atmosphere and think about photography I drag along my old olympus omdem1 . And I accept the image isn't really going to look much better than what my phone produces! Whilst I could probably invest silly $ in something more modern, I just can't be bothered learning a new body for the sake of doubling the pixels / improving image stabilisation or noise. At least not until the next time I want to take photos during an overnight yacht race...

I retired my DSLR last year as a walkaround camera. The cameras and algorithms on phones these days get me 95% of the way without the bulk. I will say they still fall well short for tele shots, but I don't shoot a lot of those. I'm a media professional so have no shortage of access to quality glass. It's just used on jobs these days.
I still own a Pentax K-1 DSLR with two excellent lenses. Yet, I do not take that camera on my rides anymore as it is heavy and vulnerable; preparing for taking a shot would require removing the camera from a pannier, and several actions more.

I was trying with an expensive Sony pocket camera to discover I was getting substandard quality photos from that device, damaged by diffraction in many cases.

Now, I solely use Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra smartphone as my camera. As for a smartphone, the image quality is pretty good. And I do not need much more, especially with such a wide angle as no DSLR could give me, and with adequate 3x zoom (the 10x zoom photos pass at some conditions).

1662524658673.png

Why should I need a better camera? Especially as the smartphone takes can still be enhanced with photographic software.

1662524775275.png

Does this smartphone photo miss any colours? Sharpness? Tonality?

Rome, there are limits to what your phone can do, such as adjusting depth of field to reduce distracting content.

2A51A219-3D9C-44B9-A67A-B0AF859BB259.jpeg

Or slowing down the shutter to blur water whilst using a narrow aperture to increase depth. There is nothing magical about these images, but the process of taking them was enjoyable because it gave me an excuse to stop, absorb, reflect, contemplate etc.

D112632F-E35B-4CF7-981C-8F4BB26F3B43.jpeg

BTW , the camera I used still fits in my pocket.

7F561F76-D0AF-48DB-B28E-A080F004B7D6.jpeg

Hurray for the OM-D, Pdoz! I could get one, but don't want to. I have the original version 1 EM5, GX-85, and PEN-F. And cheers for the P20. Bought mine in 2010.
I was a camera bug long before I caught the ebike bug, Always have had Olympus gear since 1972. While I used a Pentax DLSR for a few years, I'm firmly in the M-43 DSLR camp with Olympus and Panasonic bodies and lenses. I've incrementally added all the fast lenses I wish to own.
Last weekend, I was asked to take pix at my brother-in-laws 90th party and also at a wedding, For that kind of casual shooting, my IPhone SE11 is almost as good as my $799 Lumix f2.8 zoom. I'll sometimes put panniers on a bike, drop a camera bag in them with my good gear, and go on a mini photo junket.
For most of my biking, I always have my phone, but I'll sometimes toss in a small body with a fast prime in my pocket, or even an older digital pocket camera. They power up and are reasy to go much faster than entering my password and swiping for the camera icon, and getting it to be in photo mode and not video, pano, etc, And it's good to use them and find they still work.

Hurray for the OM-D, Pdoz! I could get one, but don't want to. I have the original version 1 EM5, GX-85, and PEN-F. And cheers for the P20. Bought mine in 2010.
I was a camera bug long before I caught the ebike bug, Always have had Olympus gear since 1972. While I used a Pentax DLSR for a few years, I'm firmly in the M-43 DSLR camp with Olympus and Panasonic bodies and lenses. I've incrementally added all the fast lenses I wish to own.
Last weekend, I was asked to take pix at my brother-in-laws 90th party and also at a wedding, For that kind of casual shooting, my IPhone SE11 is almost as good as my $799 Lumix f2.8 zoom. I'll sometimes put panniers on a bike, drop a camera bag in them with my good gear, and go on a mini photo junket.
For most of my biking, I always have my phone, but I'll sometimes toss in a small body with a fast prime in my pocket, or even an older digital pocket camera. They power up and are reasy to go much faster than entering my password and swiping for the camera icon, and getting it to be in photo mode and not video, pano, etc, And it's good to use them and find they still work.

When I got my om1 , the moron at the shop was telling me it was the first gen om5 ( heavily discounted because the second gen had just come out) . I gave up arguing and agreed to buy it !

I already had lenses from a panasonic , although I bought that 20 mm later ( second hand - around the time sony became popular so everyone was selling their olympus / panasonic glass)

Back