What camera do you use on your rides.

Rome, there are limits to what your phone can do, such as adjusting depth of field to reduce distracting content.

Or slowing down the shutter to blur water whilst using a narrow aperture to increase depth. There is nothing magical about these images, but the process of taking them was enjoyable because it gave me an excuse to stop, absorb, reflect, contemplate etc.

The little buggers are getting close! Neither of the below are great shots but do highlight what some clever algorithm trickery can manage these days. Essentially photo stacking and averaging in the first and an IR depth of field sensor with artificial lens blur in the second, both completely automated.

OM-D .. legendary camera. Played it's role in kickstarting a m43 revival.

IMG_20191019_130500.jpg
IMG_20191019_130338.jpg

IMG_20191005_124632.jpg

Last edited:
Rome, there are limits to what your phone can do, such as adjusting depth of field to reduce distracting content.

View attachment 134575
Or slowing down the shutter to blur water whilst using a narrow aperture to increase depth. There is nothing magical about these images, but the process of taking them was enjoyable because it gave me an excuse to stop, absorb, reflect, contemplate etc.

View attachment 134576

BTW , the camera I used still fits in my pocket.

View attachment 134577
How do you carry your Olympus camera on your gnarly trail rides?!

How do you carry your Olympus camera on your gnarly trail rides?!

It fits in my camelback , and on motorbike rides it fits in the top pocket of my jacket. BUT , I only take it when I'm in the mood to stop, relax, and take photos. Most of my snap shots are taken with my cheap samsung phone

I think you haven't looked in depth.

You are correct, looking at pmcdonalds' post it appears the phone designers are adding new and wonderfull ways to copy the art of photography. I guess the day will come when pulling out the intrusive communication device is actually therapeutic

Confession time....I have 2 favourite images that remind me of the joy of photography. How taking time to absorb the moment then capturing an image is magical.

This one was from an overnight yacht race, it will always remind me of steering with my feet whilst I twisted around and hand held the omd for a 60 sec exposure, desperately trying to NOT shake the image OR the boat, There were 3 kids aboard on their first night race and they were all asleep. Nb ambient light, no flash - the green boats are lit my starboard nav lights, red by port, and white by stern lights.

This one was taken using an old ipad, because I'd left my camera at home. So much for how important gear is...

Usually just my iPhone. When I do want a better or faster shot I will grab my Nikon D500. Plenty fast and the 18-200mm lens is good for about anything I need to do.

So far I have been using my Galaxy s20 phone camera, but once the weather gets better, I may bring along my Nikon D7000 for some higher quality shots.

I have been a photographer for many years, so I have an assortment of cameras for when I’d intend to do “serious” photography. On a bike ride where I intended to do serious photography, I’d take my Nikon Z7 because it’s the smallest of what I’d consider to be my “real” cameras (interchangeable lenses; full frame sensor; high megapixel; etc.) that I own that would fit in a bike bag, and the image quality is very very good. That said: 9 times out of 10, when I go for a bike ride, my main purpose is the ride rather than photography, so I don’t take a camera at all but rely instead on my iPhone for any unexpected photo ops that might arise.

I used to carry my SLR but lately, I've been relying on my iPhone Xs. It's useful for most shots I take on the trail. I no longer see any sense in carrying a heavy expensive camera on my rides and risk theft or damage.

I've been considering a drone for aerial shots of some of the places I go but the complex regulations involved with flying a drone are a real turn off.

I’ve recently been relying heavily on my action cameras to capture images during rides and consider them somewhat more versatile than my phone cam. I like the fact that I can extract a single frame from footage and even introduce bit of creativity with other shots.

GH010443 - frame at 4m27s.jpg

Moment 3.jpg

VID_20230214_151140_00_003_2023-02-14_21-01-49_screenshot.jpg
Airborne is definitely the way to go if you are looking for something unique. Yes, there are limitations of where you can launch but I’ve always managed to capture decent images/footage in the non-restrictive areas where I do ride. One just needs to do a bit of research to seek out appropriate locations.

RR 265.jpg

DJI_0097 - frame at 0m2s.jpg

Last edited:
PD
Are you flying and riding at the same time?
You are very talented, I won't even try that,
I can only do 1 thing at a time, keep my hands ON the bars.
I would hope, the drone would catch my crash and burn scenes,
if I tried that........LoL
My 1 time for flying my little Drone was, it launched straight up and disappeared over the hay field, so by now it has probably been bailed in a 2000# bale of hay, and is in Calif someplace, where they feed dairy cows.....LoL

Those overhead shots are outstanding, gives a better perspective of the rides.
Thanks,
Don

Being a long-standing Canon DSLR guy, I used to look down on my phone camera. Then I learned that John Fielder, a famous Colorado-based landscape photographer, shot his recent Yampa River book entirely on a phone cam. This from a guy with 5 Rocky Mountain photo books weighing down my coffee table.

Well, if a phone cam's good enough for John Fielder, it's good enough for me. The photos delivered by the 5x, 1x, and 0.5x cams in my Samsung Note20 make my iPhone wife green with envy. So that's naturally what I use on my bike.

20220307_175228.jpg

Last edited:
PD
Are you flying and riding at the same time?
You are very talented, I won't even try that,
I can only do 1 thing at a time, keep my hands ON the bars.
I would hope, the drone would catch my crash and burn scenes,
if I tried that........LoL
My 1 time for flying my little Drone was, it launched straight up and disappeared over the hay field, so by now it has probably been bailed in a 2000# bale of hay, and is in Calif someplace, where they feed dairy cows.....LoL

Those overhead shots are outstanding, gives a better perspective of the rides.
Thanks,
Don
Hi Don. I use a third-party Android app which allows the Mini 2 to track my movements (follow me mode) via a signal from the its controller mounted on my handlebar. You simply set the altitude/distance and the drone does the rest. A visual compass on the phone’s display allows me change the direction in midflight if I so wish. One just needs to ensure that the elevation spec is set higher than any other surrounding structures/trees as the DJI mini 2 does not come equipped with forward/rear sensors. :oops:

DJI_0024_Moment.jpg

With the app one can even plot waypoints and let the drone fly a mission autonomously, something that I have yet to attempt. I believe another forum member has the same drone and has posted some wonderful images as well.

Airborne is definitely the way to go if you are looking for something unique. Yes, there are limitations of where you can launch but I’ve always managed to capture decent images/footage in the non-restrictive areas where I do ride. One just needs to do a bit of research to seek out appropriate locations.
I completely agree but here on the east coast, the majority of the airspace is FAA restricted. I use the AirMap app on my phone and 90% of the places I ride are restricted. Although I live in a rural area, there is a small mom & pop airport within 5 miles. I can't even fly on my own property without facing complex regulations. One says I have to call the airport to let them know I'm flying my drone. When I do, no one answers so I can't fully comply.

I can get around some of these regulations by getting a pilots license but the added level of beaurocracy just spoils the whole idea.

I completely agree but here on the east coast, the majority of the airspace is FAA restricted. I use the AirMap app on my phone and 90% of the places I ride are restricted. Although I live in a rural area, there is a small mom & pop airport within 5 miles. I can't even fly on my own property without facing complex regulations. One says I have to call the airport to let them know I'm flying my drone. When I do, no one answers so I can't fully comply.

I can get around some of these regulations by getting a pilots license but the added level of beaurocracy just spoils the whole idea.
Yeah, I sometimes feel that there’s too much bureaucracy involved but also recognize that all havoc might bust loose if there were no rules in place but agree that there has to be some leniency. I follow Transport Canada’s regs with regards to flying in controlled airspace and am also not permitted to launch from my own property as we're in the flight path of an air ambulance (STARS). I could apply for a pilot’s license but since my drone is under 250g, it’s not a requirement. Could you not drive your bikes to a location where your decision to launch wouldn’t be scrutinized?

The flight app that I use is this one.

Yeah, I sometimes feel that there’s too much bureaucracy involved but also recognize that all havoc might bust loose if there were no rules in place but agree that there has to be some leniency. I follow Transport Canada’s regs with regards to flying in controlled airspace and am also not permitted to launch from my own property as we're in the flight path of an air ambulance (STARS). I could apply for a pilot’s license but since my drone is under 250g, it’s not a requirement. Could you not drive your bikes to a location where your decision to launch wouldn’t be scrutinized?

The flight app that I use is this one.
Thanks for the link.
Most of the places I regularly ride are in restricted airspace. There isn't much to photograph in the few that aren't. For me, it's just an unfortunate set of circumstances.

There is no question these strict regulations are in everyone's best interest. The joke is, the folks who will use drones to cause harm don't care and will simply ignore them.

There's talk of loosening restrictions on hobby drones so I'll wait and see before buying.

Hi Don. I use a third-party Android app which allows the Mini 2 to track my movements (follow me mode) via a signal from the its controller mounted on my handlebar. You simply set the altitude/distance and the drone does the rest. A visual compass on the phone’s display allows me change the direction in midflight if I so wish. One just needs to ensure that the elevation spec is set higher than any other surrounding structures/trees as the DJI mini 2 does not come equipped with forward/rear sensors. :oops:

View attachment 148013

With the app one can even plot waypoints and let the drone fly a mission autonomously, something that I have yet to attempt. I believe another forum member has the same drone and has posted some wonderful images as well.
After multiple crashes with the Mini 2 I went with the Mini 3 Pro. It comes with the built in "follow me" capabilities without the need for another app but the best part are the front and back obstacle avoidance sensors. They've saved me a few times already.........

Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 3.16.55 PM.jpeg

Last edited:
After multiple crashes with the Mini 2 I went with the Mini 3 Pro. It comes with the built in "follow me" capabilities without the need for another app but the best part are the front and back obstacle avoidance sensors. They've saved me a few times already.........

View attachment 148084
Awesome. Have you tried the Focus/Auto Track features out yet? I’ve been hesitant in upgrading to the 3 as I’ve heard that once Active Track loses sight of the framed subject the connection gets lost. eg. – walking under trees or behind structures (at higher elevations) whereas follow me mode with the mini 2 using the Litchi App relies on the signal from the controller. I may wait until a Litchi compatible model 3 is available and that won’t happen until DJI releases the SDK (software development kit) for the mini 3 which might be sooner that later. Did you opt for the RC with the built in screen?

Last edited:

View attachment 148084
Fantastic photo! Where?

What a beautiful view of the world drones have given us! As in ebiking, really hoping a reasonable mix of use and regulation prevails.

Back