A cable puller:
61meeRKdLpL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Under $20 at Amazon and other places.

They're designed to pull cables tight within their housing, so useful for installing/replacing brake and derailleur cables. But, I find I use it mostly to tighten cable ties, for which it is truly excellent.

A cable puller:
61meeRKdLpL._AC_SX679_.jpg

Under $20 at Amazon and other places.

They're designed to pull cables tight within their housing, so useful for installing/replacing brake and derailleur cables. But, I find I use it mostly to tighten cable ties, for which it is truly excellent.
I can see the cable ties now. dont have a use for it anymore for cables.

It probably still works, the cord kind of scares me though.

Just wear rubber gloves and hope that your breaker/fuse shuts it down if there's a short. 😂

We had some like that in shop class in 8th grade we'd use to solder thin sheet metal together.

Yeah, me too.
I made a 6" rectangular box using tin snips, a metal bender and a huge soldering iron like that. (It had a rubber cord though.)

sX05yc.jpg

It's raining today so no working outside on the trailer. Decided to sit with my wife while she works on something and terminate the trailer light connectors with weather proof connectors. Tried out my new soldering iron, I'm impressed with it, heats fast, and maintains heat while soldering.

A collection of tools that were my grandfather's. They're mounted on the wall of my workshop as a place of honor and inspiration.
SjWVyJ.jpg
That is a soldering iron? Wow, it looks more like an old Soviet interrogation device. You know, the one that gets heated and then shoved up the, um, orifice... they used to call the result an 'invisible brand'.

sX05yc.jpg

It's raining today so no working outside on the trailer. Decided to sit with my wife while she works on something and terminate the trailer light connectors with weather proof connectors. Tried out my new soldering iron, I'm impressed with it, heats fast, and maintains heat while soldering.
Man, I'm tempted to get one of those! I bought a 120v model about 6 months ago, for more money, that I've used once so far. I'm a big fan of having tools I don't need, so I may have to get one of these anyway.

TT

Man, I'm tempted to get one of those! I bought a 120v model about 6 months ago, for more money, that I've used once so far. I'm a big fan of having tools I don't need, so I may have to get one of these anyway.

TT

I was tempted too and bought this cheapie version for $25 on sale,..

Screenshot_20230513-221428_AliExpress.jpg

But it didn't show up, so I got my money back.

I thought I'd just make do with what I've got and bought this instead to go with the soldering irons that I do have,..

Screenshot_20230513-222121_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I works great. It goes up to 1800 Watts and I've burnt myself at least 5 times, so I know it works!! 😂

PS,.. a butane soldering iron works without electrons,..
And it can lite fires, or your cigarette and keep your hands warm if the world goes to shyte, (and you've got butane to refill it.)

PSS,.. one of these is great for converting anything from 12-60 volts to any voltage you need.

Screenshot_20230513-222900_AliExpress.jpg

It will give something to do with your soldering irons, so at least you use them more than once. 😂

I have a hot air SMD station already, I use it sometimes, not very often. Mostly on the bench I use a Weller station with a very fine tip. I've been trying to find a solder sucker station for a reasonable price and that works. So far, that seems impossible.

I use a butane torch from Harbor Freight for soldering very large terminals on large gauge wire. Just heat up the terminal with the torch for a few seconds, then hold the flame nearby and feed in solder. Works great for things like heavy battery terminals.

Just heat up the terminal with the torch for a few seconds, then hold the flame nearby and feed in solder. Works great for things like heavy battery terminals.
Yes,..
I found out by trial and error (and not knowing what the hell I'm doing, 😂) that heating up something that I want to weld works better if it's hot first.

I have a 120VAC welder that would only work half decent if the metal was clean and hot before I started the weld.

My damn welding rod would always stick to the metal then pop my 20 amp breaker.

I didn't find out until after I read the instructions, that my welder is only meant for tiny ¹/¹⁶" welding rods and not the regular rods that I was using, but if I got everything hot first, I could get the regular fat rods to melt without sticking.

Soldering needs way less heat and my 230 Watt Weller soldering gun works great for soldering an XT60 connector to FAT wire without melting the insulation on the wire.

Soldering needs way less heat and my 230 Watt Weller soldering gun works great for soldering an XT60 connector to FAT wire without melting the insulation on the wire.
Maybe you're doing this, don't know, but I do XT60's and most other large connections by tinning the wire first, then filling the terminal on the connector with solder. While it's still hot and applying heat from the iron, you slip in the tinned wire, hold it there for a few seconds then remove the heat.

Back