Schwalbe Johnny Watts (and other Schwalbe SUV tyres) User Club

Just got a couple of tyres to experiment with (after i hopefully manage to fit larger mudguards/fenders), both Schwalbe: Johnny Watts 584-70 & Pickup 584-65.
Found out the Johnny Watts 584-65 is E-50 rated and the 584-70 is only E-25, anyone know why?
These will be going on my Alex MD-40 rims.
Strange. On the US site Schwalbe lists that size as E-50.

Maybe a regional thing?

Somebody asked if it‘s possible to fit Johnny Watts tubeless.

At least it works using Schwalbe‘s Procore!

The improvement in grip and comfort having 1.0/1.2 bar in my 29“/2.6 tires is amzing!

Loss of air pressure in the tire is 0.01 bar / day.
Roughly 1%. Probably better than tubes.

By the way: fitting a tire using Procore isn‘t more challenging than using tubes!
No compressor needed!

I can now officially join the Johnny Watts Club as my Nevo3 GT Vario GX was delivered yesterday. Only had one short ride on it so far, but must admit that I like the tyres.
DC06CA10-0841-4970-9F2E-26EE594CE73A.jpeg

No rides today: I'm too busy filling out my Johnny W Fan Club application form.

View attachment 86929
Hello ! I'm ordering those for my first bike build, frame is a mountain bike and the usage I see done with the JW seems exactly fitting to me.

I want to ask, how is the ride with the Tannus in those ? And what kind of tubes do you use ?

I'm getting the 29 X 2.35 on 19mm rims, tight but the tires will fit until I can eventually buy new wheels. I can find the Tannus at size 29 X 2.0 - 2.5, would I take tubes like Continental 29 X 1.75 - 2.5 - is that a good size, they say to take one size smaller ? would some expensive tubolitos be better overall ? And what pressure do you ride the tubes you use at ?

I'm wishing to avoid as many flats as possible and I expect weight will not be that much of a problem with the BBSHD I'm installing so I'm more looking for puncture resistance overall. That is very much my goal with the Tannus & asking your infos on this.

Thank you for any inputs !

Johnny Watts are probably better suited to heavy (lumbering?) ebikes like my R&M Homages
@David Berry: I think JWs are the most universal and the best tyres in the 27.5+ wheel size category, and these are the best suited for your Homages. Think of your Homages as SUV e-bikes.

It could be of your interest: My brother Jacek rides the Giant Trance E+ in the "urbanized" version (that is, I or he added all equipment sans the rear rack and the kickstand). Of course, the Trance rides on Johnny Watts until Winter (when Ice Spiker Pro will come into action). Jacek is beating e-bike KOM records in Warsaw on a daily basis now! :D

1633606100024.png

I must have had some long rest on my ride there... :D

1633606266057.png

If Jacek wouldn't feel secure on Johnny Watts, he could not beat records on manoeuvres like this one...

I’ve got the JWs (27.5 x 2.35) on my R&M Nevo3 GT Vario GX and must admit that they are very good.

Quiet on tarmac and sure footed on unmade surfaces.

So far, can’t fault them.

Again, there's also the matter of availability of given tyres for given wheel size and the tyre width. There are no JWs for 622 mm rims with the tyre width up to 2". I found Smart Sam as the closest match for 28/29" wheels with tyre width between 37 and 47 mm.

Only fault I experienced with JW is it does not expel clay mud as well as Nobby Nic. Clay mud is common on some of my selected trails.
Tarmac and gravel they are near perfect
Try riding NN on pavement.
No one says JWs are dedicated off-road tyres, no. They are the best all-rounder.

Only fault I experienced with JW is it does not expel clay mud as well as Nobby Nic. Clay mud is common on some of my selected trails.
Tarmac and gravel they are near perfect
Good to know, we get plenty of that in Australia!

Rome, it makes no sense to recommend aggressive off-road tyres to people who ride most of the time on pavement. The main reason for people who chose Johnny Watts as SUV e-bike tyres is the silence on the pavement and good grip off-road.

If you need tyres that perfectly clear themselves from mud, go straight to Maxxis. For instance Maxxis Minion DHF (front) and DHR (rear). No better grip to be found. Yet, off-road tyres roar on the pavement and owners of SUV e-bikes don't want it.

Comparison of Maxxiss Rekon off-road tyres with Smart Sams

Schwalbe Smart Sam is a brother to Johnny Watts (for different wheel size). Maxxis Rekon are less aggressive true off-road tyres.

Rome,

Hardly any bike manufacturer recommends any specific tyres to be used with their products. Here are the selection criteria:
  • The stock tyre size (tyre width and rim diameter, also the matching rim width). The reason is the manufacturer has probably used the widest tyre that could fit given bike construction. If, for example, someone's e-bike came with 27.5 x 2.4" tyres, you mislead that person by recommending 2.8" tyres to them. Because the wider tyre would simply not fit that bike. (And choosing a narrower tyre than used by the manufacturer will adversely affect e-bikes speed and distance readouts of the display).
  • The type of the bike: Road, MTB, gravel, city, trekking, fitness... You don't use MTB tyres for a city or road e-bike!
  • The terrain to be mostly ridden by the cyclist
  • Rolling resistance, road grip, off-road grip, puncture protection and the tyre weight are secondary criteria to be considered.
Now:
MTB tyres are designed solely for off-road use. They can be ridden on the pavement at the cost of big rolling resistance and excessive noise. Once ridden off-road, they become silent and pleasant to ride. On the other hand, road/city tyres (especially the slicks) are quiet and fast rolling but tend to skid off-road very much, and riding them in rough terrain (even including loose gravel) is hardly possible.

There are three situations of riding mixed terrain with relationship to tyres:
  • Gravel cycling. Gravel cyclists ride pavement, gravel and mild off-road. Gravel tyres for gravel bikes are all rounders, designed for typical wheel size and tyre width accepted in gravel cycling. A typical gravel tyre has light brown sidewalls for great look! :)
  • City riders who want to "off-roadize" their e-bikes, that is to be able to ride their e-bikes in mild off-road. Riese & Muller e-bikes such as Homage or Trek e-bikes such as Allant+ are a good example
  • MTB riders who have discovered they actually need to ride pavement a lot, that is, to "citizy" their e-MTBs.
"Off-roadizing" and "citizying" e-bikes is done by selection of all-rounder tyres such as Smart Sam or Johnny Watts. If you have examples of other excellent all rounder tyres, please contribute with information.

Last edited:
Back