Roadster V2 Gravel Edition

Newer gravel models also have "throttle display"... which is basically a throttle and not sure why R1U doesn't call that out more. Do the non-gravel models also have the throttle?

1683844304741.png

I am a bit confused here. It has a pedelec mode (which is what I am looking for) and a throttle mode (which I do not want!)?

I am a bit confused here. It has a pedelec mode (which is what I am looking for) and a throttle mode (which I do not want!)?
The new gen Gravel has a throttle. The non gravel I don't believe has that option basis looking at the components and from reviews. I also believe on the Gravel one can deactivate the throttle mode in the settings and may also be able to adjust the PAS assist level speed cut off. Additionally, in responses from them, you MAY be able to switch out the Gravel's King display by ordering the older display which has speed settings but no throttle. Supposedly this display works with the new gravel controller. But these would be questions to ask/confirm with Ride1Up's service group who respond pretty quickly.

I have both the regular Roadster and the Gravel (older gen w/o throttle) if you desire my thoughts on the two. Like the Gravel, REALLY like the regular one.

Last edited:
The new gen Gravel has a throttle. The non gravel I don't believe has that option basis looking at the components and from reviews. I also believe on the Gravel one can deactivate the throttle mode in the settings and may also be able to adjust the PAS assist level speed cut off. Additionally, in responses from them, you MAY be able to switch out the Gravel's King display by ordering the older display which has speed settings but no throttle. Supposedly this display works with the new gravel controller. But these would be questions to ask/confirm with Ride1Up's service group who respond pretty quickly.

I have both the regular Roadster and the Gravel (older gen w/o throttle) if you desire my thoughts on the two. Like the Gravel, REALLY like the regular one.

I'm also looking for a lightweight ebike and considered the Roadster V2. but I dismissed it because of the lack of torque sensor (I like the natural feel of a torque sensor.) Tell me why the Roadster is still a good contender?

--Ender

I'm also looking for a lightweight ebike and considered the Roadster V2. but I dismissed it because of the lack of torque sensor (I like the natural feel of a torque sensor.) Tell me why the Roadster is still a good contender?

--Ender
I have the Gravel (cadence sensor) and just ordered a Velotric Thunder 1 (torque sensor). Both are mid-30 lbs. The Gravel definitely has that "surge from a stop" issue that cadence sensors have, and if you don't want a cadence sensor then definitely cross the Gravel off your list. It's a solid value aside from that, but maybe check out the Velotric as well as it has several advantages over the Gravel (hydraulic disc brakes, torque sensor, headlight, wider handlebars, kickstand, phone app integration). The ST model is only $1300 at the moment.

--Ender
I agree on the torque sensor and wish the Roadsters had them in addition to the cadence sensor (like my old Yamaha powered mid motor Haibike had). So for you the Roadsters may not work, though I don't know what your riding criteria is. That being said I find the V2's cadence sensors to be better than others I've had a chance to ride (Rads, Rize Fixie for example). I don't get the surge, but I mostly ride w/o assist or in level 1. These are single speeds so planning ahead is a big deal and one wants to hit grades at high cadence. Where I really miss the torque sensor is when I'm grinding up a steep hill and my cadence is dropping.
I have 3 single speeds (I like SS's) - the regular V2 (my favorite bike ever), the gravel and a non-ebike trail bike. I especially like the regular V2 as it's just so darn simple. The gravel weights a couple of #'s more. The new gen Gravels (I have the gen 1) have a different controller and a throttle. So I have no idea if the cadence sensor is as smooth and I don't want a throttle. Personally if I was looking today I wouldn't get it - but that's just me. The non-ebike trail is 24#'s, is easy to switch out rear cogs and has both a cadence and torque sensor - ME.
BTW - I'm originally from Iowa and have many friends in the Cities, St. Peter and Mankato areas. Iowa and Minnesota have great rails to trails and I'm planning on spending time back there this summer.

Last edited:
I have the Gravel (cadence sensor) and just ordered a Velotric Thunder 1 (torque sensor). Both are mid-30 lbs. The Gravel definitely has that "surge from a stop" issue that cadence sensors have, and if you don't want a cadence sensor then definitely cross the Gravel off your list. It's a solid value aside from that, but maybe check out the Velotric as well as it has several advantages over the Gravel (hydraulic disc brakes, torque sensor, headlight, wider handlebars, kickstand, phone app integration). The ST model is only $1300 at the moment.

The Thunder 1 ST is on my short list right now. :)

How long before yours arrives? Maybe you can give a little head to head comparison.

I agree on the torque sensor and wish the Roadsters had them in addition to the cadence sensor (like my old Yamaha powered mid motor Haibike had). So for you the Roadsters may not work, though I don't know what your riding criteria is. That being said I find the V2's cadence sensors to be better than others I've had a chance to ride (Rads, Rize Fixie for example). I don't get the surge, but I mostly ride w/o assist or in level 1. These are single speeds so planning ahead is a big deal and one wants to hit grades at high cadence. Where I really miss the torque sensor is when I'm grinding up a steep hill and my cadence is dropping.
I have 3 single speeds (I like SS's) - the regular V2 (my favorite bike ever), the gravel and a non-ebike trail bike. I especially like the regular V2 as it's just so darn simple. The gravel weights a couple of #'s more. The new gen Gravels (I have the gen 1) have a different controller and a throttle. So I have no idea if the cadence sensor is as smooth and I don't want a throttle. Personally if I was looking today I wouldn't get it - but that's just me. The non-ebike trail is 24#'s, is easy to switch out rear cogs and has both a cadence and torque sensor - ME.
BTW - I'm originally from Iowa and have many friends in the Cities, St. Peter and Mankato areas. Iowa and Minnesota have great rails to trails and I'm planning on spending time back there this summer.

Ho OrTrek,

Thanks for the info. There's some interesting contenders in this "lightweight ebike" realm, including some new ones. I'm been trying to figure out which compromises are fine, as this would be mostly for fitness on city trails for me. Already have 65# SUV of a bike, but it's a bit much for the trails around our city lakes.

While yes, I expect I'll have to pedal a bit more going lightweight, since it'll probably be class 1, I still like having a good speed range, at least up to 20MPH. But still comfortable pedaling at slower speeds on busy city trails.

The Thunder 1 ST is on my short list right now. :)

How long before yours arrives? Maybe you can give a little head to head comparison.
My Thunder 1 (non-ST) arrived with some issues that my LBS is working on (stiff handlebars that don't turn left/right freely, slightly warped front brake disc, super janky rear derailleur). Looking forward to getting it back so I can try it out properly.

Does anyone know if the current production models of the V2 Roadster gravel edition is a pedelec or does it have a throttle? If it’s a pedelec does it use a torque sensor or cadence sensor?
Pretty sure the new ones come with throttle and all Roadsters are cadence. 99% sure on both items

Maybe I can help a little. I have both the regular Roadster and the Gravel (plus a non-ebike single speed - I like SS's). My neighbor has the Rize Fixie which I have ridden, though not for any extended distance. I MUCH prefer the Roadsters and actually so does he. A couple of things he (and I) don't like about the Fixie is in level 1 the assist is almost nothing and going to 2 is more then the level 1 of the either of the Roadsters. AND on the Fixie (or least his) the assist cuts out at certain speeds in each level and seems to actually cause some drag when it does. The Roadsters don't. Say you want to hit 20 on the Roadsters you can do it in level 1 if desired (though I have original versions - don't know if that's completely true with new versions that seem to be shipping with throttle and a different controller and display). On the Fixie you'll be in a high PAS level.
The Fixie has lower gearing (58/20 = 77 gear inches) vs the V2 (64/20 = 85 GI) and Gravel (63/22 = 79.5 GI). I have changed out the Gravel to a 24 tooth rear cog (now 73 GI) that helps on climbs plus allows me to ride w/o assist longer. https://www.bikecalc.com/cadence_at_speed. The stock weight of the Fixie and the regular Roadster are about the same with the Gravel being a couple of #'s more. The Gravel also has a higher standover height for the same size - due to the tires I assume.
I really like both of the Roadsters. But if most of my riding was on pavement the regular Roadster would win hands down. I actually prefer the rim brakes. The regular Roadster is so darn simple. Even with the higher gearing but with the slight weight difference and better rolling tires I can climb inclines just as well (maybe even better) vs the Gravel.
So while the Fixie has some good/better attributes, just in my opinion and seeing both, the Roadsters would be my choice. Ride1Up has been pretty good to deal with. I've had no issues with either bike, outside of some front wheel truing initially. But neither has my neighbor with his Fixie.
Can you provide a link to the exact 24t rear cog you used? I will probably want to do the same to my gravel Roadster. I don't need to go above 20mph with a 90rpm cadence and would rather save battery in general, or for difficult climbs.

Were you able to get away with the stock belt and the 24t rear cog, or did it require a longer one? If so, it would move the rear wheel forward in the dropouts, closer to the seatpost tube? I plan on maxing out the tire size (50c) on the L frame version and losing clearance here may be an issue...

Last edited:
Can you provide a link to the exact 24t rear cog you used? I will probably want to do the same to my gravel Roadster. I don't need to go above 20mph with a 90rpm cadence and would rather save battery in general, or for difficult climbs.

Were you able to get away with the stock belt and the 24t rear cog, or did it require a longer one? If so, it would move the rear wheel forward in the dropouts, closer to the seatpost tube? I plan on maxing out the tire size (50c) on the L frame version and losing clearance here may be an issue...
Here is what I have. https://www.summitbicycles.com/prod...huP6jWcUWrIIh6mE5_zmFiji1_d6tN2kaArbKEALw_wcB
From Summit but they're out of stock. This seems to happen a lot. I do see others that have it ranging from roughly $58-$78. I have the SL but there is a non-sl as well. I did not need to change belts. On my Gen 1 size medium the 22 tooth was at the back of the dropout. I believe if I remember correctly, the 24 tooth moves it forward roughly 5 mm (4.98mm) or about 3/16". So no big deal for me. I did ask Ride1Up about going to a 24 tooth and they agreed it was very doable. Maybe it's a placebo effect but I do notice a difference for the positive. I can keep the cadence higher and ride longer with no assist and almost never need to go above level 1. And easier to get momentum up to hit grades. I have both the gravel and regular. Actually when the grades get above say 6% they both climb about the same. To me it seems the gravels lower gearing just offsets the larger tires vs the regular V2.
On the tires - You have the large frame but will a 50 may fit? I have the 42 Resolutes and they are real TIGHT in the front, though I think the Resolutes actually measure larger.
Overall really like 24 tooth.

Here is what I have. https://www.summitbicycles.com/prod...huP6jWcUWrIIh6mE5_zmFiji1_d6tN2kaArbKEALw_wcB
From Summit but they're out of stock. This seems to happen a lot. I do see others that have it ranging from roughly $58-$78. I have the SL but there is a non-sl as well. I did not need to change belts. On my Gen 1 size medium the 22 tooth was at the back of the dropout. I believe if I remember correctly, the 24 tooth moves it forward roughly 5 mm (4.98mm) or about 3/16". So no big deal for me. I did ask Ride1Up about going to a 24 tooth and they agreed it was very doable. Maybe it's a placebo effect but I do notice a difference for the positive. I can keep the cadence higher and ride longer with no assist and almost never need to go above level 1. And easier to get momentum up to hit grades. I have both the gravel and regular. Actually when the grades get above say 6% they both climb about the same. To me it seems the gravels lower gearing just offsets the larger tires vs the regular V2.
On the tires - You have the large frame but will a 50 may fit? I have the 42 Resolutes and they are real TIGHT in the front, though I think the Resolutes actually measure larger.
Overall really like 24 tooth.
Thanks so much for the info, it's exactly what I was looking for!

Sounds like the 24 tooth is the ticket, for me at least. I am a heavier rider used to a standard 85-90rpm cadence. I don't need to be doing 20mph and worry much more about range and moderate climbs.

As for tires, this video shows a 50c tire fitted to the rear, and I assumed he fitted the front but could be wrong:

He only got a flat in the rear, so I don't know if he actually rode with them fitted, or just tested fitment.

The tires in question mount around 48-49mm on wide gravel rims. The combination of the file type tread and narrow rims may be enough to allow fitment, but I will find out tomorrow when my bike shows up. I purchased the same exact tires as they are very fast rolling for their size.

I have vittoria terreno dry 38c tires on my other bike and they actually measure 42c on 21mm ID rims, so it's possible the WTBs run fat. I will test and report back :)

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the info, it's exactly what I was looking for!

Sounds like the 24 tooth is the ticket, for me at least. I am a heavier rider used to a standard 85-90rpm cadence. I don't need to be doing 20mph and worry much more about range and moderate climbs.

As for tires, this video shows a 50c tire fitted to the rear, and I assumed he fitted the front but could be wrong:

He only got a flat in the rear, so I don't know if he actually rode with them fitted, or just tested fitment.

The tires in question mount around 48-49mm on wide gravel rims. The combination of the file type tread and narrow rims may be enough to allow fitment, but I will find out tomorrow when my bike shows up. I purchased the same exact tires as they are very fast rolling for their size.

I have vittoria terreno dry 38c tires on my other bike and they actually measure 42c on 21mm ID rims, so it's possible the WTBs run fat. I will test and report back :)

Thanks again!
Interesting on the tire fitment. I note on the Ride1Up advanced geometry specs the L fork size is 2mm longer than my M size. I think on the L size you will receive the WTB's. Will be good to see what you find out and yes report back.

BTW the tooth count on the gravel is 120. This Gates site may also help you. https://www.gatescarbondrive.com/Apps/DriveCalculator/index.html

Also on my Gravel the cadence sensor always seemed to kick in quicker than on my regular V2, probably because of the gearing. With the 24 tooth it's even quicker and can cause a little surge. I'm used to it and doesn't bother me. I just turn it to the 0 level when moving it around.

Bike is phenomenal, excellect as a point to point vehicle in an urban sitting.

Very controlled at speeds 20 mph+ even when going down hill.

Reactions: PSm
Bike is phenomenal, excellect as a point to point vehicle in an urban sitting.

Very controlled at speeds 20 mph+ even when going down hill.
Have fun! Got my non-gravel Roadster up to 46mph, and still pretty stable. Going down mountains and hairpins at high speed was a bit hairy, but that is likely true for most any bike.

Back