Ride Report for Falco Emotor Bike

I meant to ask one other question: are you able to use the Falco without their LCD display and just the Cycle Analyst, or is the Falco display required for PAS etc?
You can use the Falco systems with just a motor and battery pack. The motor has built in torque sensors so you don't need a display or throttle at all if you don't want feel like you need to manage assist levels or see your speed. That said, I'm not sure you can get the higher top speed without also getting a display?

@MarcD, Let me add to the above information. Yes, we have several serious cyclists using the Falco system with the battery and the motor alone. The setup is quite simple with no complexity what so ever. The only downside without console is the loss of the regen capability. Some of our recumbent customers love to be able to control the speed while going downhill. With new Falco interface soon to be released, you can also have default settings for a long range or high speed.

Ride Update:

I replaced my freewheel cassette (9 speed, 13T-34T) with a 9 speed 11T-34T. The higher gear was appreciated and enabled me to keep more force, for longer.

I rode to work today in PAS mode ONLY, and didn't supplement with the throttle, all the way and saw my efficiency lower from 18-19 whr/mi ish to 15.3, or 14.9 counting regen of 2.1%.

My average speed didn't suffer either, clipping along for an averag eof 22.4 mph over 17.8 miles. Some of that is on slow bike paths, which lowers the speed. Cruising speeds at 30-35mph with this high speed ddhub, and without much effort, -2% grade.

Rakesh gave me a new program and I'm tweaking the constants.
Level 5 saw 650W on CA
Level 4 550W
Level 3 450W

The 450W allowed me to maintain 28mph on flats. The regen with the new program is less powerful than a previous version. I kind of like the stronger regen for braking.

I'll try to post some GArmin stats. Cadance sensor is dead, so no rpms, and gps speed is a tad slower, but you can see speed and elevation.

Nice! Thanks for posting the video, I like your light and the Cycle Analyst. Which version are you running? 2.5 or v3? I'm near DC and yesterday the rain was coming down so hard, actually had to cancel a bike review, I wonder if this was the same storm you were in?

How often do you have to charge the wireless Falco LCD computer? Is it detachable and is there some kind of little wire or USB cable to charge it? This is something I'm going to look at more closely the next time I see the kit. Any suggestions on other things I should test for future reviews?
The Falco console is detachable and the battery charger connects to the wire that goes to the +/- switch. There is no cruise control in the system. The console takes some getting used to. Really like the battery voltage readout, it is helpful.

Joe,

The +/- switch is on the right, below my brake, and changes the power level, -5 to +5. Holding - invokes regen, and I use that all the time. Rakesh has given me a beta version to try out, and that function is not available yet on current models.

Stealth bikes have a red regen button too.

The dextarity of the Falco button is hard to sense if it is pushed. I prefer a more pronouces switch action, more displacement. If I try to push the - and do not hold it, the the controls simply lower the power level.

In shape? Not really, yet. It is a road bike with 28mm tires. I am in a full crouch for wind resistance on many stretches. The hub is a HS hub and the assist really propels the rider. The beauty of a DD (direct drive) hub. All of the geared hub guys can touch that. BMC, Easy Motion, will all top out unless you juice up the voltage...then heat gets them... Anyone can see the Garmin stats.

Additionally, I have not tweaked the motor with the Falco Gui yet. The current program is better than last summer. It gives less initial peak current >> torque, but saves the battery more and still is very strong. The power levels are more step even.

There is no "Cruise control" button or option. The console displays "cruise", which is suppose to mean you can ride 20mph>>.

There is also a Turbo mode, for more peak current.

How do you invoke the "Turbo" mode?

Yep. I never need it now that we got the Speed Limit removed. It's plenty fast in Pedelec mode.
I agree, don't need turbo. If you use the 20mph limit, it helps on hills. With an active throttle attached, and the new firmware, I get the turbo effect with the throttle. It allows full output regardless of the power setting (1-5).

I had my 2015 debut electric ride yesterday, coming home from work. (got dropped off). It was very windy, so I appreciated the assist. I took it easy to get use to the speeds and scope out the winter toll on the roads. I did a relaxed 17.5 mph average. I replaced my rear tire with a new tube and new Armadillo 28mm. I also had added three spokes that never got replaced last fall. Nice first ride.

This morning was bright and sunny, 49F. Different ride going into the work commute. Many of the back roads got repaved last summer, so I was excited to stay on the smooth stuff. On a section of Gorman Road, from I-95 overpass, the road goes down the Piedmont fall line to the Patuxent river basin. This is a nice 1+mile downhill. I got behind a moving truck and drafted up to 41mph! I was feeling pretty good about myself. I should have been more precautions with the first inbound commute and survey the ride. After crossing rt1 , I turned on Corridor road, a commercial access road with new pavement. Rolling over a hill, I see an orange construction sign and plates across the road. I'm going 20-23mph and move to the right to miss the plates, only to discover the sign was for two concrete divots on the roads shoulder, each 3 in deep, 2 ft wide. I pull up and the front wheel jumps the 5ft span. The rear wheel smacks the second edge. I survive and don't go down. What happened to my bike??? It is thumping as I come to a stop. Well, I am amazed, and so thankful I didn't wipe out AND NO FLAT! However, my wheel/rim is bent. It is cupped. a couple spokes look knarley, but none broken. The wheel is shot. I am at mile 6.5 of 17.5. I find a large rock and begin to pound out the indention, attempting to pseudo round the wheel and not bust spokes. It helps, but I eventually give up and limp into work going 10-15mph. I had a lot of regen on the hills this morning, 5.5%!

Well, time to get it re-spoked.

Bike_on

Last edited:
I agree, don't need turbo. If you use the 20mph limit, it helps on hills. With an active throttle attached, and the new firmware, I get the turbo effect with the throttle. It allows full output regardless of the power setting (1-5).

Hey Bike_On. Cameron over at Falco updated my firmware today and I really like it. Talked about it more here.

The firmware update on the Motor was a piece of cake. Cameron over at Falco was able to control my PC remotely (actually my Mac Laptop running Parallels) with "Team Viewer" and he downloaded the necessary files and installed them from his end. All I had to do was hook up the cable to the motor.

I also upgraded my Battery to the 48V version today, and I can really feel the difference. It has more power and it seems to have a quite a bit more range. I went to the Gym and back and still had all four LEDs lit up and it was still showing 48V (out of 51V at full charge). Used to drain well over half of the 36V. Of course that could be because I was running on Level 4 part of the time today, whereas with the 36V I was always at Level 5.

The great news is, it runs great. It n0w bypasses the Torque Sensor and keeps the motor powered on when you're riding at high speeds. It used to just kind of power on and off if you didn't pedal hard enough. So much improved there. I averaged about 35 mph on the Flats and hit an all time high of 41 mph today for a brief period with the wind at my back. It's definitely got smoother power delivery and I'm very happy with the result. I will not be needing to upgrade to the 750 watt kit after all. :)

Side note: LOVE the Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires I put on today. They feel really grippy and they are supposed to be bomb proof. I went with a wider tire in the back to give the motor a little more air under it, so now it's kind of set up like a dragster. :D

ETA: Oh wow, sorry to hear about your mishap Bike_On! Dang.... That's pretty scary, but glad it was only the bike that got hurt. I had a bike shop change a rear tire for me on my e-bike and he put it back on crooked (I know, I should've checked it) and I developed a "high speed wobble" and darn near wrecked at 35 mph! :eek: My heart has not been the same since. :D

Last edited:
The Falco console is detachable and the battery charger connects to the wire that goes to the +/- switch. There is no cruise control in the system. The console takes some getting used to. Really like the battery voltage readout, it is helpful.
I charge the Falco Console using a USB cable adapter. It is a 4 pin, Falco specified connector, so no standard mini-USB, etc, just a standard computer USB input source.

WADR - given that it's a thread discussing using a cycle analyst with a Falco system I'm pretty sure someone here knows the answer and I won't have to call to ask a simple question during the work day.
That's why I posted it.

WADR - given that it's a thread discussing using a cycle analyst with a Falco system I'm pretty sure someone here knows the answer and I won't have to call to ask a simple question during the work day.
That's why I posted it.

Bike_on apparently knows. He's the only guy I know with a CA attached to a Falco system and I'm guessing he did the 0ld "cut and splice". Rakesh had mentioned they might be making an adapter cable that would not require any cutting and would plug in directly. But it's up to you. Just wanted you to know it was an option.

Last edited:
Bike_on apparently knows. He's the only guy I know with a CA attached to a Falco system and I'm guessing he did the 0ld "cut and splice". Rakesh had mentioned they might be making an adapter cable that would not require any cutting and would plug in directly. But it's up to you. Just wanted you to know it was an option.

I'm sorry. I get forum fever sometimes. ;)

I'm sorry. I get forum fever sometimes. ;)
No worries. If they DO have a cable adapter (or will have one soon) please post back. I'd love to get it. I have a Cycle Analyst on my other e-bike and it's a very nice tool to have.

Back