another alternative to mission control and bike computers, tested...

everyone else seems to have more problems with their smartphone batteries than i. 0-2C for four hours and my battery was still at 75% +
the troubles must begin at a colder point than that!
You do not charge the phone on your ride, do you :) Try.

For me, the toes go incredibly painful.
My legs suffer from inadequate blood supply. If I let it go, I would end at the hospital ready for amputation. I currently use Glovii heated socks, the more "arctic" version. I don't believe in the advertised "up to 9 hours" but 6 hours is OK (the socks deliver heat) for a 70 mile winter ride.

Data gathering on a bike is silly.
Uma. I reckon you're really not riding e-bikes. You may build them but not ride. When I show that to my Strava contacts:
1642357078219.png

ridden at:
1642357123267.png

It really is something to impress.

And... If you really rode your e-bikes, you would have known stats are crucial to route planning with the respect to the battery use. Can you tell me what was your Wh/mi on your latest 50 mi ride?

@Stefan Mikes I use the also rather pricey Lenz electric socks. I use to use the Hotronics but finding a place to hang or strap the battery pack and dealing with the wires was always an issue. But, yeah, taking off the cross-country ski boots and socks and finding my arch/instep a nice steaming pink and my toes a wooden, ghastly white was quite scary. The clear demarcation between warm, blood served foot and the white toes was physiologically intriguing. :eek:
o_O

Some people are into keeping stats. I rather ride with the flowers and willows.
1642365421089.png

1642365489343.jpeg
1642365555339.jpeg

1642365631177.jpeg

Nope. I use premium cells and BMS. A 1.38 Kg battery will do 77 Km with one bar remaining, averaging 29 Kph, including stop lights, hills, wind and transitions to bike paths. I have done that test six-times on a three-speed Nexus. My Specialized does better. I often use larger batteries when needed for even longer rides. They uses the same connector. I just don't have a personal need to retain my data. When I ride it is experiential in the moment. It is not what I claim or say that is significant anyway. I have five-star reviews on Google Maps. Go 32 miles North of the Golden Gate. Zero in. Search eBike. You will see reviews of PedalUma. Okay, I could be full of it, or delusional, or just a hyperbolic. But could each of the verified independent reviewers be wrong in their assessments? My designs push imbedded carbon forward and are highly efficient. Some bikes have a carbon footprint that is decades old. They are also all inherently fun. If someone wants to use a phone app, that is their choice. Some do. That is just not my cup of tea.
This 48V green cargo bike battery is 7Ah. Its rider founded this local organization chapter: https://www.coolpetaluma.org/
1642377433233.jpeg
1642377874515.jpeg
1642377984728.jpeg

I just don't have a personal need to retain my data.
That's OK.

I cannot fail noticing though Uma you treat any thread (disregarding the topic) as a chance of free advertising of your products and services. Is it fair?
Here, we are discussing Specialized, Mission Control, stats. And here you come again with your products that are off-topic, and additionally you undermine the talk of us who are interested in retaining the ride data. Not OK.

That's OK.

I cannot fail noticing though Uma you treat any thread (disregarding the topic) as a chance of free advertising of your products and services. Is it fair?
Here, we are discussing Specialized, Mission Control, stats. And here you come again with your products that are off-topic, and additionally you undermine the talk of us who are interested in retaining the ride data. Not OK.
yes. exactly. to jump into a perfectly congenial and productive discussion about riding specialized eBikes in the appropriate forum to disparage the posters and then advertise is not a good look.

Some people are into keeping stats. I rather ride with the flowers and willows
I was good with that relevant perspective on this general topic. Then got attacked. That attack was uncalled for with its disparaging lies. Then I gave evidence refuting the attack by addressing it head on with facts from people who actually know what they are talking about. The accusation of advertising is also false. Like a dogwalker I provide a hands on local only service with out selling or shipping stuff.

Last edited:
I appreciate the give and take, gentle, give and take. And don't mind hearing about alternatives in a kind of comparative analysis. I have both the Specialized Creo and a custom titanium which now has a front motor. I can compare the handling of the two and the beneficial aspects of each as well as the limitations.

I was good with that relevant perspective on this general topic. Then got attacked. That attack was uncalled for with its disparaging lies. Then I gave evidence refuting the attack by addressing it head on with facts from people who actually know what they are talking about.

actually, your entry to the “general topic” was to disparage both the topic AND those discussing it:

Data gathering on a bike is silly. You have to admit that anyone who would be impressed by it is someone whose opinion no one would care about.

if you think something is silly, no need to butt into a perfectly civil and appropriate conversation with your opinion which contributes nothing to the conversation. i have no interest in impressing anyone here, rather enjoying a congenial community with those who enjoy similar things.

You do not charge the phone on your ride, do you :) Try.

My legs suffer from inadequate blood supply. If I let it go, I would end at the hospital ready for amputation. I currently use Glovii heated socks, the more "arctic" version. I don't believe in the advertised "up to 9 hours" but 6 hours is OK (the socks deliver heat) for a 70 mile winter ride.

Uma. I reckon you're really not riding e-bikes. You may build them but not ride. When I show that to my Strava contacts:
View attachment 111990
ridden at:
View attachment 111991
It really is something to impress.

And... If you really rode your e-bikes, you would have known stats are crucial to route planning with the respect to the battery use. Can you tell me what was your Wh/mi on your latest 50 mi ride?
@Stefan Mikes : I can charge my phone from the usb c port on my Mastermind TCD-W controller on my Tero. I have a short usb c to usb c cable. Probably could charge a GPS with correct plugs on cable.

@Stefan Mikes : I can charge my phone from the usb c port on my Mastermind TCD-W controller on my Tero. I have a short usb c to usb c cable. Probably could charge a GPS with correct plugs on cable.
You are one of rare persons here (still) to own Mastermind TCD-w. Also, I do not think you are riding long hours below the freezing point.

Interesting find. I’d like to hear more after you do more test runs, and data that can be looked at post ride is more important to me than during ride. Will these apps allow that?

so, i've been using this combo for a few weeks now.

i still run mission control during all rides, alongside cadence. with both of those apps running and the screen on the entire ride, 1/3 mission control, 1/3 cadence map screen, 1/3 cadence stats screen, today's ±79 mile, 4:30 ride ate 64% of my battery. according to the iPhone battery stats, cadence used 49% of the battery and mission control used 15%. this is higher usage than i've seen before, likely due to using the map screen this time, and would limit active riding time to around 7 hours with the same amount of map/screen usage. i used a route planned online with rideWithGPS, no problems. while riding i couldn't figure out how to zoom the live map in and out. not great UI on that score.

the only glitch i've had is that if you don't turn bluetooth off on the phone, and it happens to be near the "cable" bridge device with the cycling app open, it drains the battery of the bridge. i left them nearby for a few days of non-riding and it was dead when i returned to it. rather than quit the app, i've just been flipping bluetooth off. the device should be smarter than this but perhaps that's the price to pay for something that is "always on" when you need it and has no on-off switch or activation "time." other than that, it's been seamless. i just leave it in the pocket of my shorts and forget about it, other than making sure i don't wash it with the shorts 😅

aside from elevation, the data is pretty consistent between MC, Cadence, and Strava's reinterpretation of MC data:

distance time elevation calories max speed weighted power Cadence 78.57mi 4:31 3,959ft 3413kCal 41.0mph 227w MC 79.28mi 4:31 3,221ft 3436kCal 42.0mph n/a Strava 79.27mi 4:33 3,537ft 3885kCal 43.6mph 219w Strava Corrected 78.72mi 4:33 3,537ft 3885kCal 43.6mph 219w

i do wish that the cadence app had a web based portal for perusing the stats - it's phone only, and by default everything is saved only on the phone. of course, the same data is basically available in strava which is exported automatically from either cadence or mission control, but i do like the way cadence represents the data and allows you to overlay various data on the graph over time. a curious quirk of mission control, it thinks i had .05% of support when in fact it was 0.00%... but even with no motor usage, 17wh of battery was consumed by the bike's electronics!

20220206-cadence.jpg

Last edited:
That’s a great time/average speed for such a tough and long ride! Interesting data display too.

About Mission Control - every time I use it (mainly so I can see the more complete data it gives to the specialized ‘Ride’ app), it prompts me to allow it to access location services on my iPhone “always”. I have it set to only allow access while the app is in use and I ignore the prompt. It seems to work alright that way.

I do notice that the auto pause function doesn’t work well and my rides always have a longer time than my garmin shows. The elevation is less than the garmin shows too, and garmin was always very close to the old ‘Cyclemeter’ app that I used for years, so I assume MC is inaccurate. Do you use Always Allow for the location access? I wonder if that could be related the inaccuracy I get.

The best bikes do not have any data gathering. People stuck on Pelotons do that. It is all about freedom in motion Free Real. Being in the moment is more important than documentation. Riding a bike is Right Brained not Left. Nerdy data does not cut it. That is limiting and small.

Attachments

• IMG_9311 (002).jpg
    IMG_9311 (002).jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 183
That’s a great time/average speed for such a tough and long ride! Interesting data display too.

About Mission Control - every time I use it (mainly so I can see the more complete data it gives to the specialized ‘Ride’ app), it prompts me to allow it to access location services on my iPhone “always”. I have it set to only allow access while the app is in use and I ignore the prompt. It seems to work alright that way.

I do notice that the auto pause function doesn’t work well and my rides always have a longer time than my garmin shows. The elevation is less than the garmin shows too, and garmin was always very close to the old ‘Cyclemeter’ app that I used for years, so I assume MC is inaccurate. Do you use Always Allow for the location access? I wonder if that could be related the inaccuracy I get.
i do always allow mission control location access. if specialized wants to know where i’m riding and sells that data or something, they can have it 😂😂

MC elevation definitely isn’t super accurate although i gather it’s more to do with the phone than MC; strava always corrects it upwards based on map data. (which isn’t perfect either.)

i don’t use auto pause. when i stop for more than a few seconds i just hit the pause button.

The best bikes do not have any data gathering. People stuck on Pelotons do that. It is all about freedom in motion Free Real. Being in the moment is more important than documentation. Riding a bike is Right Brained not Left. Nerdy data does not cut it. That is limiting and small.
welcome to my ignore list! the irony is that i’m exactly the sort of person who would have bought a custom bike from you, if it weren’t for your juvenile behavior on the forum.

i rode for 80 miles today, through beautiful country and enjoyed every minute of it, in the moment. how about you?

(don’t answer that, i won’t see it.)

The best bikes do not come with pedals, either. You need to buy pedals, and it is an expensive power-sensor pedal that you buy for the "best bike".
Uma, now, you have fully deserved your Ignore.

I love bikes - straight up / E... anything with wheels. That said - I love the data too! Can never get enough - not sure why. Doesn't detract from my ride - just makes it even better. To each their own but we need more threads on meters and stats - not less IMHO> :)

And mschwett - besides the numbers/data - that was a BEAST ride - nicely done.

Back