REVIEW: QR-E 250W ELECTRIC BOOSTER BICYCLE MOTOR AND B60i AND B70 BATTERY

Hello:

Do I understand you use fabric tape instead of the friction roller tape that Qiroll sells? For me, the friction tape has always been the weak point of this system as it can degrade and come off after awhile and depending on how much your ride and over what kind of terrain, you may end up having to replace the tape every month or maybe even sooner.

I was always wondering about what a more suitable and maybe even stronger longer lasting replacement for the friction tape supplied by Qiroll would be. Can you tell me what Brand/model of fabric tape you use? View attachment 176000
Above is a pic of the old style Qiroll friction tape. As you can see the ends of the tape are cut straight across. This tended to eventuall peel off very quickly. Qiroll then changed the design to an angular/diagonal cut which seems to stay on the roller a bit longer. The old straight cut friction tape lasted me anywhere from 100-200 miles, the newer diagonal end cut tape lasts me up to 300+ miles.

Nevertheless, If you've found a suitable replacement for this tape, I'd love to see pics of how you cut it and what it looks like attached to your qiroll roller motor. And let us know how long (how many miles) your tape lasts and does it wear down your tire, provide sufficient grab against the tire.

Thanks again!
Hi
I think adjusting the Qiroll motor to directly press the bicycle wheel is relatively difficult. You don't know when the Qiroll motor directly presses the bicycle wheel to meet the requirements. So I made a manual clutch using a spring hinge with enough force to directly apply pressure to the Qiroll motor. Make sure the Qiroll motor always has good contact with the bicycle wheel, minimizing slippage. If it doesn't rain, I use simili tape to wrap around the motor 2 times. After about 100km, the tape wears out, so I wrap it 2 more times. If the road is wet, I plan to use anti-slip tape to wrap a loop around the Qiroll motor. It's still dry where I live so I haven't tried these yet.

Attachments

• 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 44
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 54
View attachment 176163

View attachment 176164
As shown from previous page and discussion i use 3M industrial floor grip tape, have rough solid surface almost like sand paper but really grips and non-slip on roller. Feels faster, impossible to slip and really works in rainy condition. You can feel more torque and assisted power when climbing hills. After two years running it i never worn out my expensive tires and have 100% success rate keeping me riding for 3 months or daily fast ride or more before need to change. 100% strongly recommended to use industrial floor grip tape. Even aliexpress alternative e-bike roller kit uses rough sand paper like grip roller. This tape costs around $2 per-roll and it takes 3 minutes to change. 1x roll gonna lasts for years.

This 3M grip floor friction last me approximately between 2,520km ~ 3,257km (based on my watch GPS tracking) riding through dirty and rainy condition commuting everyday to work before i need to change Floor tape wins!.

*Important note: For 320W QR-E Pro owner if you need to use 3M floor grip tape you must adjust the clutch roller to press much harder on the tire else 320W power might slip and worn out the tape faster and slipping too much causing more gash on the tire. Don't let it slip, apply more pressure on the clutch adjustment. I always apply more turn on the clutch screw knob adjustment until the tire surface have full contact yet able to spin assisted.

Wow! 600-1200 miles on one piece of grip tape. That's just amazing. And you say you've been using it for 2 years! I just might give it a try my friend!

Although it does look like sandpaper. I have Marathon 20" Schwalbe's on my ebike so they're pretty sturdy. I like that your grip tape also works in rain as well...I don't ride in the rain but occasionally there are spots that have been wet by sprinklers and I lose power.

Yes, as seen over 2 years of conversation in this forum i've using that floor grip tape with zero problem. 100% success over various weather including rainy days. Regardless it won't wear your tires. Even yesterday my local bike shop looked at my rear tire says it looks like new even have been 2 years. You can see many of my twitter videos over past years riding fast and hard on the road even on rainy days. Best grip tape ever.

Hi
You think right. I made a manual clutch mechanism. When using Qiroll, the spring hinge will press on the Qiroll motor by the white water pipe. I cut the middle groove of the white water pipe so that it only overlaps the two sides of the Qiroll motor. I just got my hands on the bike's front fork lock to open and close this manual clutch. When finished, I will upload pictures.
I have another bike with a Tongsheng mid drive motor. It's very heavy. Tong sheng mid drive motor 4kg and battery 2kg. It is not as light as Qiroll.
Thanks so much for sharing
Hi
I think adjusting the Qiroll motor to directly press the bicycle wheel is relatively difficult. You don't know when the Qiroll motor directly presses the bicycle wheel to meet the requirements. So I made a manual clutch using a spring hinge with enough force to directly apply pressure to the Qiroll motor. Make sure the Qiroll motor always has good contact with the bicycle wheel, minimizing slippage. If it doesn't rain, I use simili tape to wrap around the motor 2 times. After about 100km, the tape wears out, so I wrap it 2 more times. If the road is wet, I plan to use anti-slip tape to wrap a loop around the Qiroll motor. It's still dry where I live so I haven't tried these yet.

Yes, as seen over 2 years of conversation in this forum i've using that floor grip tape with zero problem. 100% success over various weather including rainy days. Regardless it won't wear your tires. Even yesterday my local bike shop looked at my rear tire says it looks like new even have been 2 years. You can see many of my twitter videos over past years riding fast and hard on the road even on rainy days. Best grip tape ever.
what's the link to amazon or 3m for that same exact grip tape you use. I think I'll order a roll. is it this one:

3M Safety-Walk Heavy Duty Tread, Black, 1-in by 60-ft Roll, 7731​

Do you apply the tape without removing the motor?

You can buy 1" x 180" roll for $13.73 on Amazon if you don't need that 60' roll.
FWIW I tried it riding on mostly wet paved paths and the grit layer quickly came off leaving it smooth and result in slipping. Maybe I didn't use it with the motor pressing hard enough on the tire but I thought I was. What I'm using now is 1" wide 60 grit sanding belt with cloth backing. It isn't self adhesive so a glue has to be applied to the cloth backing. If you check the Gboost accessories product page you can see what it looks like and the glue they recommend. So far no noticeable wear, When the grit is clogged with grass/plant debris it can slip but the debris cleans out of the grit quickly when brushed with a small steel bristle brush. If you use the 3M tread tape post up your results, it may just be me that it didn't work as well as it did for 3dxl.

Hi

Hi

Hello my friend:

I can't read Vietnamese so I'm not sure what brand or kind of tape this is:
1.jpg

Is this green tape a vinyl or rubber tape. Is there a name for it for example is it grip tape? I'd like to find it's equivalent on Amazon.com If you see a comparable product on there please let me know what it is.

Also, looking at this pic:

2.jpg

How many times do you wrap the tape around the roller? It looks like about 2 times?

Finally this:
3.jpg

Is that 3m 1inch Grip Tape listed here on Amazon: 3M Safety-Walk Indoor/Outdoor Tread, Black, 1-in by 180-in Roll, 7634NA https://www.amazon.com/3M-Safety-Wa...48&sprefix=3m+1+grip+tape,aps,176&sr=8-3&th=1

Thanks for your help.

You can buy 1" x 180" roll for $13.73 on Amazon if you don't need that 60' roll.
FWIW I tried it riding on mostly wet paved paths and the grit layer quickly came off leaving it smooth and result in slipping. Maybe I didn't use it with the motor pressing hard enough on the tire but I thought I was. What I'm using now is 1" wide 60 grit sanding belt with cloth backing. It isn't self adhesive so a glue has to be applied to the cloth backing. If you check the Gboost accessories product page you can see what it looks like and the glue they recommend. So far no noticeable wear, When the grit is clogged with grass/plant debris it can slip but the debris cleans out of the grit quickly when brushed with a small steel bristle brush. If you use the 3M tread tape post up your results, it may just be me that it didn't work as well as it did for 3dxl.

Yes, you need to press the motor hard to the tires, don't let it loose else it worn the tape in an instant. Not sure about normal MUTE motor but my PRO motor even at high press on the clutch it still running fast without load. My tire and roller still exposed to grit and mud but doesn't wear out, maybe my tires are slick type so doesn't embedded much.

*Updates: My Qiroll QR-E PRO is coming today!!!!!

Last edited:
Thanks so much for sharing

what's the link to amazon or 3m for that same exact grip tape you use. I think I'll order a roll. is it this one:

3M Safety-Walk Heavy Duty Tread, Black, 1-in by 60-ft Roll, 7731​

Do you apply the tape without removing the motor?

Yes, i apply tape without removing the motor. Just de-clutch it from tire contact. Its just 3 minutes work to put the tape. I don't have the link because my next door office sell this industrial floor tape so i don't have to order online. hehehe!

Yay!!! Received new improve 320W QIROLL QR-E PRO (looks different)

Just received today for my second bike built. It looks very different from my first QR-E PRO in term of appearances and features.
The package i bought is is QR-E PRO motor/friction roller unit only without battery (backend custom special order).
Here's what i found out about new version of QR-E PRO:
  • Uses S2 remote cable with mini USB type connection.
  • Connection to battery plug have been reinforced to avoid wires from snapping due to repeated plugin in-out from battery.
  • QR-E PRO have improve clutch knob screw to avoid screw shaft detached from roller arm.
Not sure what other improvement been made yet or any speed improvement until i'm done setting it up on my 2nd bike.

Extras stuff (something i don't expect to receive):
Along the package he gave me:
+ Extra battery charger.
+ Extra battery connection cables to QR-E.
+ Extra S2 remote switch cable .

Looks like i got a good deal from Mr. Jason (Qiroll customer support)

Credits:
Again thanks to Mr. Jason for great customer support especially enable me to purchase specific unit without buying the whole package with battery since i already have 2x H70 battery pack. Also support me through especially tracking my parcel delivery all the way. Extremely good customer support all the way. Thanks again.

Photos:
20240523_124530.jpg

20240523_124626.jpg

20240523_124718.jpg

Attachments

• 20240523_124845.jpg
    20240523_124845.jpg
    441.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 20240523_124725.jpg
    20240523_124725.jpg
    557.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 20240523_114435.jpg
    20240523_114435.jpg
    567.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 20240523_114413.jpg
    20240523_114413.jpg
    885.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 20240523_114347.jpg
    20240523_114347.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • 20240523_114344.jpg
    20240523_114344.jpg
    902.6 KB · Views: 31
Glad that you received what you ordered. It looks like Qiroll switch went to USB micro rather than your previous Pro with the magnetic connection. So I assume that you weren't provided another S1 switch as Jason had promised and the S1 switch with the magnetic connector interface has now been discontinued?

I put it on my old '80s vintage mountain bike with Continental ride tour tires. The spring hinge allows the motor to be in contact with the tire while providing constant pressure even with some runout that this tire has. I'll come up with something to retract the motor when not in use. This bike isn't the final destination but it only takes a few minutes to transfer from one bike to another.

IMG_20240523_171441013_HDR.jpg

Latest: Problem with old version QR-E PRO

Has anyone have solution to this?
Yesterday morning i ride to office the QR-E PRO motor suddenly felt like hitting a re-gen brake and slowing down, then a few seconds it throttle back to normal. It does that 4x through 21km length of my ride.

Then in the evening when i ride back home, the motor shut down after 3km ride. The trigger accelerator button won't work i can see on QR-E PRO unit the green LED light blinking instead of red. I unplug the battery and plug again to reset and it runs OK for another 1km, then it started to slow down with re-gen brake like drag. Now my bike feels like riding a concrete. I unplug the battery and plug again to reset the throttle trigger won't work and the normal speed assist seems week. I've change to new S2 switches cable, change power cable and try other battery but it doesn't fix it. Solution?

*Note: I finish install the new QR-E PRO on my new bike, works and feel awesome. However some bad luck be be fall on me on my old QR-E PRO. Dang!

CC: Sending this to Mr. Jason, Qiroll support.

Video on problematic QR-E PRO (old model)

Crackling electric sound inside the unit after plugin the battery.
I did some test ride outside but the unit was blinking green then white. Suddenly as i get close i can hear some crackling sound like electric like spark sound. I immediately remove the unit from the bike and test it again. Here the video on my twitter.

Video (turn the volume up):

I hope not but it sounds like it might be an internal electrical fault. If that's the case the motor unit doesn't appear to be serviceable but you'll have to get advice from Qiroll to know for sure. No consolation I'm sure, but the service you got from the motor still seems impressive given what it is and how you have used it in your riding conditions. Best wishes that you can get it up and running again, keep us posted how that goes and Qiroll's response.

I hope not but it sounds like it might be an internal electrical fault. If that's the case the motor unit doesn't appear to be serviceable but you'll have to get advice from Qiroll to know for sure. No consolation I'm sure, but the service you got from the motor still seems impressive given what it is and how you have used it in your riding conditions. Best wishes that you can get it up and running again, keep us posted how that goes and Qiroll's response.

Yes impressive services it give since its been 2 years on daily all weather use but for me 2 years its quite short of a lifespan. I'm still waiting for Jason reply on how to solve it. I might want to open to see whats inside that caused the problem. But i'll wait for his email first.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd Build Completed!: New QR-E PRO (version2)
So i've completed building 2nd E-road with QR-E PRO. Everything works great and cleaned up all the cabling. The S2 throttle switch i placed under the 'brifter' where my finger could reach the trigger. Being a new fresh unit sound less noisy than my old PRO. Instead of original tape i used my preferred 3M floor grip tape. I've added silicon rubber like sealant around the unit's seam and plug connection for waterproofing and dust prevention.

20240526_110053.jpg

20240526_110457.jpg

However there's a bit slight differences i notice compare to my old unit.
  • The acceleration response once i trigger the button is slow by 1~2 seconds, Old PRO seems to be instant response.
  • Self proper cruise mode and acceleration mode seems to be slower than my old PRO (maybe the motor needs to 'break-in' after few kilometer...let's see).
  • On first run after 1 minutes motor seems to get a bit hot when spinning wheel lifted up in the air, not rolling on the floor yet. Old Pro just warm only.
Tomorrow monday will start going to ride to work with this bike, will report overall performance on this new V2 PRO soon. Sadly i missed my old broken Pro on my old white bike. Hope to hear support from Qiroll soon.

Attachments

• 20240526_110937.jpg
    20240526_110937.jpg
    527.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240526_110554.jpg
    20240526_110554.jpg
    791.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 20240526_110104.jpg
    20240526_110104.jpg
    802.7 KB · Views: 37
Support news: Old broken QR-E PRO will be send back to Qiroll warehouse in China for inspection/repair.
Good news! Manage to get reply from Jason (Qiroll support). He ask me to send back the old broken QR-E Pro for their engineer to inspect and hopefully they can get it fixed.

Monday commute with E-bike number 3: New Qiroll QR-E PRO Version 2.
Finally took out the bike for wet morning commute to the office. Hit lots water and puddles without problem slipping because i use floor grip tape. Felt like new E-bike again. Very silent and still as fast as my old Pro unit when it started to gain momentum speed.....yet not as quick response acceleration boost as the old ones. I took longer 21km route to office to do some motor 'break-in' with full trigger on the acceleration/boost while still pedaling. Upon arrive at office the battery just dropped 1 bar shown on blue LED display, same power consumed like the old PRO unit i had on my white Merida bike. So power consumption on both bike are the same. Still i felt the white Merida on old PRO still faster but i need to wait longer until my biege color "Shogun Badass" show its true color after few ride possibly after work hours later when i get back home where it has to perform some hill climb later. Overall the new V2 QR-E PRO works awesome!

Things i don't like on new Version 2 Pro:
  • The S2 switch is way too big to fit on road bike brifter. My finger has to struggle to touch the trigger/boost button unlike old ones.
  • The battery plug that have that black plastic sleeve to keep the root wire from flexing around seems to slides and tug around a lot when i try to plug into the battery in and out. Makes it hard to insert the plug into the battery and pull out from the battery. Its very hard to gauge how much deep i've inserted the plug properly into the battery because the sleeve obstruct the insertion view. When i pull the plug through the sleeve i felt like i'm pulling it though the cables than on the plug. I rather remove the sleeve for easy insertion and reduce battery cable being torn off by accident.

Photos:
20240527_064327.jpg

20240309_022405.MOV_snapshot_12.26_[2024.05.27_07.52.11].jpg

20240527_064412.jpg

Attachments

• 20240527_064936.jpg
    20240527_064936.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 27
  • 20240527_064613.jpg
    20240527_064613.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20240527_064425.jpg
    20240527_064425.jpg
    754 KB · Views: 21
  • 20240527_064417.jpg
    20240527_064417.jpg
    856.7 KB · Views: 27
Hello my friend:

I can't read Vietnamese so I'm not sure what brand or kind of tape this is:
View attachment 176381
Is this green tape a vinyl or rubber tape. Is there a name for it for example is it grip tape? I'd like to find it's equivalent on Amazon.com If you see a comparable product on there please let me know what it is.

Also, looking at this pic:

View attachment 176382

How many times do you wrap the tape around the roller? It looks like about 2 times?

Finally this:
View attachment 176383

Is that 3m 1inch Grip Tape listed here on Amazon: 3M Safety-Walk Indoor/Outdoor Tread, Black, 1-in by 180-in Roll, 7634NA https://www.amazon.com/3M-Safety-Walk-Outdoor-180-Inch-7634NA/dp/B0006HVKLK/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3QERVBAV9B5YX&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.Hxs7zZUbbLIWaPYgEELGPDnquNSXrUcoRcO3yCrrc0ceuqgCaU1mqYzlAWfTOBRO_rnGeuFQibUKmDooiJSZvujAB4PVbMWMt_OTSk_OZEelpn8vAjXRPHEqyCG2nlzTl1RyO3uiM-Y0Vakr4AAla60el3KfKBbfRbjEDFOcKpUQwP8C3xEOde-7VpkdoZPd7J0na9E4c3JTNnH5hZX88_BKgpnNSinWjHmVtD9Q5FM.3sYMk7UF3y3XqCgMRUqBcqGehJAX1Sise1m9TPiZtUg&dib_tag=se&keywords=3m+1"+grip+tape&qid=1716428048&sprefix=3m+1+grip+tape,aps,176&sr=8-3&th=1

Thanks for your help.
1. This green tape in Vietnam is called simili tape. I looked for a comparable product on Amazon.com for you but couldn't find one there.

2. 3M Safety-Walk Indoor/Outdoor Tread, Black, 1-in by 180-in Roll, 7634NA: it is ok.

I have installed the manual clutch for separating the qilroll motor from pressing on the wheel. I use my hand to lock the front fork of the bike to close (qiroll motor over the wheel) and open (qiroll motor separates from the wheel). Please see attached images.

Attachments

• 36.jpg
    36.jpg
    454.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 37.jpg
    37.jpg
    560.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 31.jpg
    31.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 32.jpg
    32.jpg