REVIEW: QR-E 250W ELECTRIC BOOSTER BICYCLE MOTOR AND B60i AND B70 BATTERY

I have looked through all the posts I can find on the Qiroll. Has anyone ever down a teardown on one? The reason I am asking is; The friction wrap and adhesive is the weakpoint, so I was thinking to about trying a fix for both. The use some kind of sleeve over the roller may work better. I have seen other friction drive offerings where it is a solid tube over the roller. Depending on the material I can rationalize it should work better. But would require removing one of the arms temporarily to slide it over.

Hey ordinator! welcome to the forum. Love your bike.

Try the industrial floor grip tape, very strong adhesive too. Had 100% success rate and torture em on daily fast commute and wet rides over a year now. Feels like sand paper but it won't harm or worn out my tires, great for hill climbs too. Loving it.

Attachments

• IMG_20221102_173918.jpg
    IMG_20221102_173918.jpg
    645.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_20221102_173933.jpg
    IMG_20221102_173933.jpg
    814.9 KB · Views: 124
Hello,

Yes I read your post about the friction tape, and thanks. The idea of sanding it down so it doesn't wear on the tire was great. I have ordered a roll from amazon and will try it out. At the same time I am also gotten around to doing a small take apart on the motor. I have ordered a couple of friction sleeves as it does look I may be able to try that, it will be a few weeks before the aliexpress shipment arrives.

In case it helps anyone. I removed the qiroll (time to clean it up a bit anyways) & considering the miles on the band the gorilla tape protected it very well. Residue was left from the repeated tape use but not alot.

A key thing was between the two arms the side with the manual screw adjustment is far larger. I assume not only for the heavier bracket for the screw to hold against but also for the power cords. So I took the disk off the thinner side, revealing 4 x 2mm allen bolts.

I removed the allen bolts and the arm does swing free, unfortunately not enough to clear the roller. But removing the 3 adjustment allen bolts on the other side and sliding the roller all the way forward gives enough room I can try a couple of sleeves, or possibly try making my own out of polyurethane.

It's not alot of space but should be egnough to try some other options.

Attachments

• 20240223_093314.jpg
    20240223_093314.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 122
  • 20240223_093240.jpg
    20240223_093240.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 20240223_093020.jpg
    20240223_093020.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 119
  • 20240223_090441.jpg
    20240223_090441.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 120
  • 20240223_085455.jpg
    20240223_085455.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 120
Hello Qirollers, with 78,000 views I know you are out there. Ordinator, if you still check this forum how has your friction layer idea worked out? None of the solutions that worked so well for 3dxl seemed to work for me. The only tread tape that worked OK (at best) was the 3M brand Safety Walk but even that seemed to lose some of its grit layer with minimal use. Gboost makes a friction drive that uses what looked to me like 1" belt sander abrasive belt that has to be glued to the roller - you can see what they use and their recommended glue on their web site. So I picked up a selection of various grit belts on Amazon. Not wanting to glue directly to the roller I first wrapped the roller with a adhesive backed solid type neoprene, also from Amazon, then glued the belt sander abrasive to the neoprene. Took it for a 15 mile ride today with ~1000 feet of elevation gain per Garmin and so far no noticeable slipping on a Maxxis Hookworm tire and the friction layer looks unaffected in this limited test.
Secondly I did successfully run a non-proprietary 36v 15ah battery with the Qiroll for this ride, using a 36-48v step down to 24v dc/dc converter. The (Buck) converter was in an enclosed handlebar bag pocket, not exposed to cooling and got only barely warm at the most, the motor got quite warm, but didn't feel hot, after long use on the hills. Of course there was no data wire connection. I tried to run most of the time on the high setting and the battery dropped from just under 39v at the start to 36.5v at the end of the ride. I'm not recommending this, only relaying what I did.

Here's my Qiroll with the sander belt glued to the solid neoprene underlayer. The electrical connector shown is the one I soldered up with 16g wire. 18g wire is usually used with MR30 connectors, I went with 16g because of the length needed to reach a handlebar bag where the battery was located. 16g is a tight fit on the MR30 soldering posts.
IMG_20240422_144518762.jpg
To me the friction layer that Gboost uses (image on their web site) looks similar to the 60 grit I used this time.

Last edited:
A caveat regarding Qiroll fitment. It doesn't work for all standard bicycles. I was going to fit it on a 700c bike with a triple chainring but unfortunately contact with the innermost chainring didn't allow for installation under the chainstays (which is the only place to locate the Qiroll on this particular bike). I'm not going to give up the small chainring as it is needed for hill climbing, especially with the low power Qiroll motor. Just a heads up to be sure it works with your bike, even if it is of a standard design.

... Took it for a 15 mile ride today with ~1000 feet of elevation gain per Garmin and so far no noticeable slipping on a Maxxis Hookworm tire and the friction layer looks unaffected in this limited test.
Secondly I did successfully run a non-proprietary 36v 15ah battery with the Qiroll for this ride, using a 36-48v step down to 24v dc/dc converter. The (Buck) converter was in an enclosed handlebar bag pocket, not exposed to cooling and got only barely warm at the most, the motor got quite warm, but didn't feel hot, after long use on the hills. Of course there was no data wire connection. I tried to run most of the time on the high setting and the battery dropped from just under 39v at the start to 36.5v at the end of the ride. I'm not recommending this, only relaying what I did.
Hey im back! Good to hear you can use non-proprietary 36v 15ah via step down. I wonder if we could just use raw 48v, might help increase extra KW/rpm on my Qiroll Pro? Glad you got your friction worked on hills.

2024 Updates: Lighter Qiroll Pro E-bike build (now 10kg full weight with battery)
Btw this season 2024 i build lots of my own personal commuter ebikes including Bafang mid drive. But still Qiroll Pro still win me in term of reliability, easy maintenance, easy to scooter around and keep my bike nimble on daily fast commute through traffic. This month i've manage to reduce the bike weight further throwing off more than 1 kg off my Qiroll equipped bike through mods. Replaced old heavy aluminum wheel with carbon aero spoked wheelsets and tubeless its now my favorite comfortable road rocket! Cockpit also shortened too.

Photo:
q.JPG

20240309_005204_01.MOV_snapshot_06.19_[2024.05.03_07.19.32].jpg

The condition of my Qiroll Pro and its battery after years of daily fast commuting to my workplace through dry and wet weather (via friction roller mods) still held up well perform 100% reliable than my mid drive. No sign of battery voltage wearing out yet on everyday use. My Qiroll Pro looks dirt and mucky after years of abuse but surprise had almost worry free maintenance/zero problem. I'm picking up another Qirol Pro for my other n+1 bike stripping off its 750w mid drive for this.

20240503_094609.jpg

Last edited:
Fail! Game over mid-drive! Time to switch to Qiroll Pro.

20240502_071156.jpg

Yesterday my n+1 bike mid drive Bafang 750w BBS02B started acting up half way on my commute route to work, the crank drive jammed and unable to turn ended up towing this heavy ass tank on foot around the town. Unable to pedal even throttle it has to be picked up going home on a pickup bed. Lucky my white Qiroll Pro rocket was at home fully charged standby to roll off to my office. Been servicing this Bafang mid drive twice with new bearings and etc....we'll its time for Qiroll Pro upgrade on this Specialized Diverge disc bike.

2024_4_project_diverge_e_10.jpg

1.jpg

... thats one of the biggest flaw owning of a mid drive. Too heavy, less nimble, need heavy maintenance, expensive setup, complicated build, ruined the bike looks and left you stranded if it fails. The pros is climbing torque power and all weather. Speed wise 320W Qiroll Pro still can catch up with 750w mid drive and its nimble.

Last edited:
Good to hear from you again!
From a prior post by Blueberry in '22 it doesn't appear that you can overvolt the Pro, his quote:
"Side note, I tried connecting up a 10s3p battery to the Pro to see if the extra few volts from another cell in series would make it go faster, but actually it refuses to turn on with a battery voltage above 38V"

I agree about the weight penalty involved with regular ebikes, to me it is the greatest advantage of Qiroll. I should have bought a Pro model that was listed on Ebay just prior to me purchasing the MutePlus version.
I have a Yamaha powered mid drive gravel bike and have temporarily installed a Tongsheng TSDZ2 mid drive conversion on several bikes that I happen to have, as well as converting my wife's cruiser type bike with a geared front hub motor. They all perform great but I keep going back to riding regular non-assist bikes due to the added weight. I'm going to put my Qiroll back on my bike with the Schwalbe Marathon tires to see if the sanding belt friction layer slips like my previous attempts, I'm not concerned about tire wear from the aggressive grit, tires are cheap and easy to change.

Thanks again for all of your informative posts, I'd never have figured it out myself. And good luck with your new conversion, I'm tempted to try a Qiroll Pro model myself.

Good to hear from you again!
From a prior post by Blueberry in '22 it doesn't appear that you can overvolt the Pro, his quote:
"Side note, I tried connecting up a 10s3p battery to the Pro to see if the extra few volts from another cell in series would make it go faster, but actually it refuses to turn on with a battery voltage above 38V"

I agree about the weight penalty involved with regular ebikes, to me it is the greatest advantage of Qiroll. I should have bought a Pro model that was listed on Ebay just prior to me purchasing the MutePlus version.
I have a Yamaha powered mid drive gravel bike and have temporarily installed a Tongsheng TSDZ2 mid drive conversion on several bikes that I happen to have, as well as converting my wife's cruiser type bike with a geared front hub motor. They all perform great but I keep going back to riding regular non-assist bikes due to the added weight. I'm going to put my Qiroll back on my bike with the Schwalbe Marathon tires to see if the sanding belt friction layer slips like my previous attempts, I'm not concerned about tire wear from the aggressive grit, tires are cheap and easy to change.

Thanks again for all of your informative posts, I'd never have figured it out myself. And good luck with your new conversion, I'm tempted to try a Qiroll Pro model myself.

Sound like good counter measure protection built-in the unit from overvolting above 38v. Good to hear.
How much was the Pro model on Ebay? Was it from legit Qiroll vendor/seller? I was thinking buying just the roller unit than with battery attached. My two H70 300Wh battery performed well after years of daily use/charging.

If I recall correctly it was less than $300 including shipping for a complete minimally used kit. I didn't know that you can buy just the roller unit, where can you order that? Thanks.

If I recall correctly it was less than $300 including shipping for a complete minimally used kit. I didn't know that you can buy just the roller unit, where can you order that? Thanks.
Not yet, i'll try email them see if they could selling just that unit.

When you find out I'm interested in their response regarding selling and pricing of the roller/motor unit preferably with a S1 control without a battery. Also can you ask if the Pro still comes with the toggle S1 control like yours has? My Mute Plus came with the S2 push button activation but I'd prefer the S1 toggle switch. The S2 has a micro USB connection with the motor unit, is that what your S1 connects with or is there a different type connector? Please post pictures of the S1 connector, both at the motor and at the end of the cable, if you don't mind.
Thanks again.

3dlx, I think that I've finally emulated your friction layer success using the 1" width sanding belt. This time I located the motor under the seat stays instead of above the chainstays. Rode on wet grass then gravel and dry pavement with no slippage on the Schwalbe Marathon tires that had slipped badly with other alternatives. As an aside I tried powering it up with a battery that was at 36.5v - the light would glow but it wouldn't activate the motor. I'm not sure how long I'll use it on this bike but I do plan to make my own connectors with shorter 16g wire instead of the supplied excessively long 18g connector.
IMG_20240503_132342153_HDR.jpgIMG_20240503_132330680_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
When you find out I'm interested in their response regarding selling and pricing of the roller/motor unit preferably with a S1 control without a battery. Also can you ask if the Pro still comes with the toggle S1 control like yours has? My Mute Plus came with the S2 push button activation but I'd prefer the S1 toggle switch. The S2 has a micro USB connection with the motor unit, is that what your S1 connects with or is there a different type connector? Please post pictures of the S1 connector, both at the motor and at the end of the cable, if you don't mind.
Thanks again.
Still waiting for their reply. Btw mine comes with S1 control and has USB-C connection to the motor unit. I really like S1 because i can easily strip bare bone and slip under the brifter/shifter rubber hood for stealth looks. *Btw i can't pull the connector out, its stuck there with dirt and grimes also locked in place by plastic gear cable guides.

Thanks for the information. I certainly don't need a picture of a USB-C connection, I had seen what looked like a magnetic connection and wondered if that is what the pro had. Unfortunate that Qiroll changed to the S2 for the non-pro versions.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I certainly don't need a picture of a USB-C connection, I had seen what looked like a magnetic connection and wondered if that is what the pro had. Unfortunate that Qiroll changed to the S2 for the non-pro versions.
Yes it has magnetic connection for S1 version USB-C plug with waterproof rubber sealing.

Good news! I've manage to get reply from Qiroll support Mr. Jason again. Able to get QR-E PRO unit without the battery at good price. Awesome! That saved me lots of money on my build this week. Waiting for the bill to arrived to include super fast shipping cost. I'm gonna pull out my Bafang 750w off my bike today and clean the frame to prep for Qiroll QR-E PRO! Yiipeee!!! :cool:😍

Last edited:
Chia sẻ với các bạn về việc tự cài đặt bộ Qiroll B79 Đây là những hình ảnh trong quá trình cài đặt. Tôi lắp một tấm sắt cố định để ngăn động cơ trượt thẳng đứng. Và khoan 2 lỗ sát khung xe để lắp kẹp động cơ chống trượt ngang mình sẽ test thử xem nó có hoạt động như ý mình không. Cảm ơn bạn đã sản xuất một sản phẩm tuyệt vời như vậy.
1.jpg
1.jpg1.jpg

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    281.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    328.6 KB · Views: 84
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 84
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 96
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 90
Chia sẻ với các bạn về việc tự cài đặt bộ Qiroll B79 Đây là những hình ảnh trong quá trình cài đặt. Tôi lắp một tấm sắt cố định để ngăn động cơ trượt thẳng đứng. Và khoan 2 lỗ sát khung xe để lắp kẹp động cơ chống trượt ngang mình sẽ test thử xem nó có hoạt động như ý mình không. Cảm ơn bạn đã sản xuất một sản phẩm tuyệt vời như vậy.
Great build! :)
How fast does it goes on MTB?

Back