REVIEW: QR-E 250W ELECTRIC BOOSTER BICYCLE MOTOR AND B60i AND B70 BATTERY

Thank you to everyone who has posted about the qiroll. My main issue with ebikes is the excessive weight. I have a 41# BH gravel bike with Yamaha PW-SE mid drive, a couple Tongsheng TSDZ2 mid drive kits and a bike with a rear geared hub motor. They all work great but I'm constantly taking the TSDZ2 off of bikes (and putting it on a different bike) because I miss riding a lighter bike without the motor and battery. QIROLL looks like something that I want to try on bikes where the total weight including the kit will still be in the area of 30# but:
Ebay only lists the lower power "mute" version and not the pro
The QIROLL web sight lists both but doesn't recognize my location to estimate shipping.

Q:
Is the pro version very loud (and compared to the mute version for those who have tried both like the OP)?
Has anyone successfully ordered directly from qiroll, if so what was the shipping charge (I'm in the US, pacific NW)?
I want to use it on a 20" folder so torque should be better than on bikes with larger wheels but I need assist really only for hills, of which there are a lot of long steep ones where I ride.

Sorry if I don't reply for a couple days as I will be in remote areas without cell service
Thanks in advance

Hey there EMGX, i can answer that since i got the PRO version and ordered firectly from Qiroll official website.

1. The motor roll Qiroll Pro do make some electric noise but not so noisy and not noticeable to people around me. Frankly speaking i feel my bike are far more stealthy than normal ebike. Here is my video on my twitter account about me riding my bike on qiroll and no sound can be heard from the motor as i speed down the highway and on pedestrian path:
  2. I've ordered directly from Qiroll website, good customer services. But i think the shipping cost was around $55 to my east asia counterpart for my Pro kit with 2x H70 battery, took 8 days to arrived.
  3. 20" should be perfect enough. However its not perform well in wet condition as it slips a lot. Only on dry condition its really give huge punches of torque. I'm happy with mine since it helps me climb 15% hill gradient everyday. :)

Last edited:
Updates: Performance report and experiences :)

Hey guys im back! Since i've been riding on QIROLL PRO for several week commuting everyday up and down from home to work place in rough traffic its time to share my summary of experiences.
I must say i'm very impressed with overall performance the PRO version, lots of torque climbing up the hills. Everyday i trigger the boost throttle and put a bit of the leg power gave me a good relaxing speed around 36km/h moderate and tops at 42km/h on flat road. Below are my daily graph of my commuting speed as per attached (lazy bum ride):
graph (1).jpg

graph (3).jpg

graph (4).jpg

Overall i must say the QIROLL PRO totally worth it for my everyday riding style. However as mentioned before in the previous post i have an issues about the reliability of the friction tape that came with the kit, its get ejected from the roller easily at high speed but the DIY wired lock ring did the fix to locked the friction tape tightly on to the roller for several days. However the friction tape only last about 1x tape per-week before it got worn out down to bare metal roller. Attached are the photos of the friction tape worn out after one week of use. The rubber also looks flaky and ripped. Btw i'm still waiting Mr. Jason from QIROLL to send me replacement for the improved tape.

sl_clip_004.jpg

sl_clip_008.jpg

sl_clip_011.jpg

Battery charger problem:
Another problem i've encounter its the supplied charger are not so reliable with my house voltage running 240V/50hz electric outlet. After one week of use 1 of the charger failed to charged the H70 battery and 5 days later another one showed up the same problem. I've ended up having to borrow my friends ebike battery charger. I did contacted the Qiroll customer support via Jason and he said he will send over a replacement soon. So will be waiting for a new ones to arrived.
Here's the video of the failed supplied battery charger:

Videos: My riding with Qiroll PRO
Despite some minor problems on the friction tape and battery charger overall i'm really happy with Qiroll PRO kit performance. It totally helped me a lot to make my everyday commute to work more easy, relaxing and fun. No longer have pain and stress climbing hills and riding against head winds. Sleep better at night too since my aging legs felt less strained and have no pain the next day so i could continue riding through heavy traffics. I did a perfect 7 days commute per-week compares to 5 agonizing days 100% on leg power. Me in my 40s not as good when i was in 30s so going lightweight e-biking is my way around. I do really enjoy the effortless speed, i reached 5 minutes faster than driving my car through rush hours. Btw below are links to my videos riding on Qiroll Pro, did have a blast of fun!:

Twitter videos link:
1.jpg

Overall i would buy another QIROLL PRO kit again if i had extra bicycle.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experience 3dxl. With the roller friction tape issue and uncertain long term durability it doesn't seem worth it to me to take a chance on it given the cost (plus $70-$78 shipping to US). Too bad as it seems like a promising way to add assist without making for an excessively heavy bike like most other options..

Hehehe! 😁😁 Hold on, there's a trick without relying on the factory friction tape. The ideas happened when i was on my last tape while waiting for replacement. Desperate, i was looking for quick solution ..then i found it!

ALTERNATIVE CHEAP'O $2 FRICTION TAPE = 3M Fabric Tape!
This month i've been experimenting alternative material to replace the default friction tape and at the end of the experiment i finally found the most strongest and reliable friction tape that lasts me 3x longer for my brutal way of riding. Behold the fabric tape!! aka fabric duct tape. I bought this fabric tape from stationary store that have very strong 3M stickies and slap it just one layer on to the Qiroll Pro roller and it handled far better than factory qiroll tape! It hold very well torquing up the hills, doesn't eject when i speeding at 44km/h and grips my tires well for full friction rolling...very rubbery feeling too. Lasts me almost 1 week riding on rough terrains and high speed. Ironically it feels solid and faster than original friction tape, lol!
One big roll of fabric tape costs me just $2 at local store. Perfect!!!! I'll post full photo's later how i slapped on my bike but here's how the tape looks like.

IMG_20220728_132612.jpg

DIY $2 Fabric tape as friction roller tape. Works great!
Works far better than original, grippy, easy to replace, cheap, can handle my 44km/h max speed and rough riding abuse. Suitable for tarmac and urban commute with slick tire. Available in any book store, stationary shop and hardware stores in one big roll for $2. Make sure the backing sticky tape are from 3M.

Photos:
IMG_20220729_063223.jpg

IMG_20220729_063239.jpg

IMG_20220729_063256.jpg

Excellent QIROLL customer support! Replacement charger and new Qiroll tape arrived! :)

First of all thanks to the customer support at QIROLL Mr. Jason for handling all my recent problem, just got my replacement 1x H70 battery charger and also improve looking Qiroll friction tape as warranty. The Friction rolling tape seems to have new slanted cutting and maybe stronger stickies. The replacement charger works flawlessly but haven't tried out their new friction tape since my cheap DIY fabric tape still wasn't worn out nor giving any trouble yet after a week of use. Maybe will try 'em out soon.

IMG_20220728_123508.jpg

IMG_20220728_123536.jpg

Hi Guys,

After several tried and tested, I almost finished the manual clutch for QRE-PRO.
There is super more efficent than original screw clutch because I can engage the QRE-PRO to tyre on moving or anymoment.
My bike able to start up by only electric without slipping on flat road.
I can feel front push very clearly on assist, especially on out corner by electric only or assist on slow momentum moving.
However, last problem is friction tape will total loss after 8KM distances traveled. It is too short life.
Really can enjoy the QRE-PRO now!!!!

Attachments

• videoandparts.zip
    5 MB · Views: 288
  • Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    720.3 KB · Views: 387
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    258.4 KB · Views: 371
  • Capture4.PNG
    Capture4.PNG
    250.2 KB · Views: 329
  • cap1.PNG
    cap1.PNG
    50.1 KB · Views: 372
  • cap2.PNG
    cap2.PNG
    69.7 KB · Views: 348
Behold!! Most efficient friction tape revealed: floor grip tape
Hey guys, its been a while. I'm reporting back with some improvement on QRE-PRO DIY tape. I've found a holy grail to solve all those slippery tape problem. I've been using an anti-slip grip tape from hardware store and it works marvelously on every condition, dry, wet and even hilly terrains. It doesn't tear off at high speed over 44km/h. Been using it now over a month without sign of wear and tear an rode in rainy days. I give me lots of torque going up hill too.

You can find this at any hardware store for just $2 in big roll. Its a very hard grippy surface looks like rough sand paper designed to stick on the floor surface or staircases for anti-slip purposes when you walk on it. What i did to install was cut, sand the surface to smoothen until the texture matches road tarmac grade then stick on the roller. You'll get max grip on any condition, no more slipping. So far my rubber tire doesn't show any wear or tear for many weeks since the tire the roller itself have the same effect as running on hard tarmac road.

Photos:
IMG_20221102_173918.jpg

IMG_20221102_173933.jpg

IMG_20221102_173945.jpg

Thanks for your suggestion!!

but would the floor grip tape too strong on friction then damage the tyre?

Behold!! Most efficient friction tape revealed: floor grip tape
Hey guys, its been a while. I'm reporting back with some improvement on QRE-PRO DIY tape. I've found a holy grail to solve all those slippery tape problem. I've been using an anti-slip grip tape from hardware store and it works marvelously on every condition, dry, wet and even hilly terrains. It doesn't tear off at high speed over 44km/h. Been using it now over a month without sign of wear and tear an rode in rainy days. I give me lots of torque going up hill too.

You can find this at any hardware store for just $2 in big roll. Its a very hard grippy surface looks like rough sand paper designed to stick on the floor surface or staircases for anti-slip purposes when you walk on it. What i did to install was cut, sand the surface to smoothen until the texture matches road tarmac grade then stick on the roller. You'll get max grip on any condition, no more slipping. So far my rubber tire doesn't show any wear or tear for many weeks since the tire the roller itself have the same effect as running on hard tarmac road.

Photos:
View attachment 139265
View attachment 139266

View attachment 139267

Thanks for your suggestion!!

but would the floor grip tape too strong on friction then damage the tyre?

Oh, not at all, my tire not damage nor wear after a month. If the tire already made friction on the road everyday why not just do the same thing with the roller. So the idea hit me and i use the grip tape. All i did just use sand paper to trim (blunt it) the rough texture on the tape to match the road/tarmac texture and that's it. Already ride for a month and my tire still looks normal without any damage. No problem. :)
Now the roller and tire made full torque transfer without slipping. I'm so happy i can ride in the rain too. :)

The stock friction materials really.....sads....
I tried your mentioned fiber tapes with wired cluctch. Quite good.
Floor slip tape was my consider but afraid tire damage.
I am no doubt now to choose the Floor slip tape instead of stock tape.

Oh, not at all, my tire not damage nor wear after a month. If the tire already made friction on the road everyday why not just do the same thing with the roller. So the idea hit me and i use the grip tape. All i did just use sand paper to trim (blunt it) the rough texture on the tape to match the road/tarmac texture and that's it. Already ride for a month and my tire still looks normal without any damage. No problem. :)
Now the roller and tire made full torque transfer without slipping. I'm so happy i can ride in the rain too. :)

Try it, before stick the grip tape on the roller don't forget to sand paper it to trim the roughness first so that i will not shred the tires. ;)
Mines worked and no longer need any tape placement or maintenance. Perfect! :)

What number of sand papers to sand the tape you use?

Try it, before stick the grip tape on the roller don't forget to sand paper it to trim the roughness first so that i will not shred the tires. ;)
Mines worked and no longer need any tape placement or maintenance. Perfect! :)

Perfect thanks.

It is because I am using discontinued tire 18x1.35.
Afraid damage it too fast then have to replace by 18x1.5 ....

I use 150-CW grade but it doesn't matter, just use any sand paper enough to blunt off the grip tape surface.

Perfect thanks.

It is because I am using discontinued tire 18x1.35.
Afraid damage it too fast then have to replace by 18x1.5 ....
If you trim the tape rough surface at right texture it will last or equal to the same friction of tire would roll on the road surface.

Oh, para nada, mi neumático no se daña ni se desgasta después de un mes. Si el neumático ya hizo fricción en la carretera todos los días, ¿por qué no hacer lo mismo con el rodillo? Así que se me ocurrió la idea y uso la cinta de agarre. Todo lo que hice fue usar papel de lija para recortar (despuntar) la textura áspera de la cinta para que coincida con la textura de la carretera/asfalto y eso es todo. Ya conduje durante un mes y mi neumático todavía se ve normal sin ningún daño. Ningún problema.:)
Ahora el rodillo y el neumático hicieron una transferencia total de torsión sin resbalar. Estoy tan feliz de poder montar bajo la lluvia también.:)
Hola

Encantado con el pequeño motor Qiroll, a sus 53 años me permite ir y venir de la oficina sin aplastarme las piernas y, lo que es mejor, dormir plácidamente sin dolores de piernas y caderas.

El punto débil es la cinta adhesiva, compré una cinta antideslizante en una ferretería y se despega a los 8-10 km. ¿Alguien puede darme una referencia de Amazon (3M o similar) que pueda contener algo más?

Cheers! Good to hear that you are well, your commuting videos were a bit concerning. Any update or issues with your Qiroll pro?
Shipping took a month and I received my Mute plus with B70 battery just a few days ago. I bought the pictured steel frame Sears, originally 10 speed dropped bar, bike when I was 13yo and years ago changed it to a 3 speed coaster brake and swapped out the fork/stem/handlebars along with some other changes. I decided to install the Qiroll on the top of the chainstays because there is a lot of room in that protected location. Depending on how it performs its final destination will be a different bike. Rainy season is here so riding will be limited for now but I have some plans.
Apparently now the "Mute plus" can be installed in reverse and it has limited regenerative braking like the pro model which they term "active energy recovery". According to my scale the mute + weighs 620g, the battery weighs 1kg, plus minimal weight for the hardware and controller. The bike weighs ~13kg so it should come in at <15kg installed. I've done several conversions of my wife's and my bikes including mid drive TSDZ2 as well as front and rear geared hub motors and have a BH "easy motion" gravel x powered by Yamaha PW-SE mid drive and found that you can't get a bike less than ~19kg with typical conversions - the BH gravel bike also weighs in at ~19kg which apparently is considered "light", but not by me. I really dislike the heavy ebike weight penalty on my current bikes. I'm looking forward to seeing how well the Qiroll can perform, although it is hard to imagine that such a small and light unit can add much assist. I ride in a very hilly area and live on a mountain, otherwise I wouldn't be interested in an ebike at all.
No problem with my Qiroll Pro even after a year worth of abuse commuting to work. I only need to lube & grease the internal rollers/bearing as it made squeeky sounds few months ago on Oct 2023 (after a year of usage). I must say its a great all weather minimalist ebike kit after the last mods using floor grip tape as friction roller. On workday i switch a lot between my bike with Qiroll pro (scooter mode) and another bike with Bafang BBS02B (pedal assist mode). I like the feeling on my bike on Qiroll Pro because it felt more lighter and nimble to move around crowded pedestrian path and moving from floor to floor inside the building. My BBS02B felt like a battle tank but on steroids. I'm sure you'll love Mute + being lighter especially your bike frame able to fit it inside the rear triangle for clean build.

Attachments

• photo_27_20220818_1088209654.jpg
    photo_27_20220818_1088209654.jpg
    914.1 KB · Views: 127
Its a generic no brand anti slip floor tape, has the same width as Qiroll friction tape..lucky me. You have to peel of some bumpy looking stickers on the side to access the screws. I use Teflon bike lube. Maybe i'll take some photos somewhere around next weeks to do some lubing again.

I installed the Qiroll mute plus on my 3 speed bicycle but haven't ridden it yet as it is cold and raining.
Couple things I noticed, one I was hoping you (3dxl) can clarify for me. The Mute plus has some limited regenerative braking similar to your Pro model that is activated by holding the mode button. The regular Mute e models use the mode press and hold to put the unit to sleep so it looks like there is no way to put it to sleep without manually disconnecting the motor from the tire allowing it to go to sleep (flashing green light). Is that the case with your Pro or am I missing something?
I'm definitely glad to have the "plus" model because I needed to install for current bike in the reverse direction on top of the chainstays but would have preferred to be able to put the motor to sleep holding the mode button rather than having the "active energy recovery" although that function might prove useful to slow the bike some on long descents without having to use the brakes as much - time and use will tell on that.

Other stuff:
-The rear rim is very true and round but the Schwalbe Marathon tire itself must not be as round and true causing the motor bob some due to the high and low points of the tire. I'll try deflating, adjusting then re-inflating the tire to see if I can correct that. Not sure if I can correct it, hope it doesn't cause stress damage to the motor - might switch out the tire.
- The current bike has horizontal drop outs with the opening facing forward so if I get a flat I'll have to remove the motor for adequate clearance unless the deflated tire and loosening the C-ring provides enough clearance for the wheel to be removed.
-Installing the motor on top of the chainstays (reverse direction) puts the C-ring set screws next to the chainring blocking access to one of the setscrews. I'll cut down the short leg of the 2.5mm hex wrench to be able to more easily turn that setscrew.

Asides:
Because shipment was delayed Jason at Qiroll sent me a message that I would be sent some extra accessories. He didn't say what but they still haven't arrived so I'll contact him.
I ordered some inexpensive anti slip tape from Amazon and will give that a try when the current friction layer needs replacing. Thank you 3dxl for having done the R&D on that and posting your experience.
For my Qiroll Pro:
- If my wheel moving; when i press and hold the mode button the regen brake kick in slowing down the bike.
- When at stop wheel not moving; holding further the mode button for few more seconds (probably longer than braking mode) puts it to sleep....sometimes its a hit or miss because i can't see LED lights under my bike.
- When 1 or 2 second quick click on mode button it change to slow throttle mode (Red LED) > (Blue LED).

As for other stuff:
- Yeah i notice my SCHWALBE ONE (Tubeless) tire does bob having peaking up and down but it settle it self more rounded as i cycle for few rounds . The tire beads will seated nicely on the wheel hook when you move around with your weight on the ground for few rounds. However it doesn't happen on my PIRELLI P-ZERO VELO tire as it perfectly seated and rounded without bobbing. Must be SCHWALBE thingy.
- I also have to deflate my tires a bit just to remove my wheel from the frame since my Qiroll Pro unit took whole space even after full de-clutch it. My road bike frame have super short chain stay.

Support:
Ah yes! Jason always give away some nice Qiroll accessories stuff if there's problem with shipping to make customer happy. Overall love their support.

Back