REVIEW: QR-E 250W ELECTRIC BOOSTER BICYCLE MOTOR AND B60i AND B70 BATTERY

I'm not aware of a performance difference but I've been mostly riding with only the default "electronic clutch" setting rather than the two higher settings actuated with the button control. There is a decent boost with only electronic clutch and I don't even have to pedal at low speed with that setting. 16g wire has over 1.5x the cross sectional area as 18g and depending where I mount the battery I can use a cable 1/3 the length of the 24" Qiroll cable. So I guess resistance should be proportionally less. Soldering 16g wire on the tiny MD30 connectors is tedious but doable. The connectors might be the main cause for resistance, I don't know. I haven't kept track of mileage vs residual battery voltage. A voltage monitor could be wired on the power cable easily enough using positap connectors to splice in but I'm not currently inclined even though I have one in a parts bin.

I still want to use this bike on the Palouse to Cascades rail to trail path but I buggered my knee hiking some steep trails in the Columbia River gorge and currently walking with a cane so I'm not sure how that will go.
Any knee problem when riding/pedalling the bike? You need the QRE Pro for steep trails in the future. ;) I'm gonna contact Jason soon about the battery health things, but i'm curious how to open up the battery canister so i can check if all the lion battery well balanced or if its BMS board does the job.

Knee bad biking, worse walking. There are some steep trails here, some can be strenuous going up, painful down. Did several a couple weeks ago with family visiting, was fine untill a couple days after they left then it hit me.
IMG_20240612_140505406_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240612_133620930_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240517_134518115_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Knee bad biking, worse walking. There are some steep trails here, some can be strenuous going up, painful down. Did several a couple weeks ago with family visiting, was fine untill a couple days after they left then it hit me.
View attachment 178040View attachment 178041View attachment 178042
Beautiful place!!! Where you live is heaven right there! You're blessed to have scenic place to roam about. As a mountain biker my mid drive 750W Bafang would appreciate traveling this glorious hills and valleys and take some nice shots. I have photography as a hobby. How did you ended up having bad knees? I have a buddy also ended having bad knees and use off-road grade e-scooter to mobile around the woods.

morning_qre_pro.jpg

[Morning commute] - New QR-E PRO V2 performance stats (human + machine).

Did some performance measurement on new QR-E PRO (version 2) and how my body handles throughout pedaling commute to work today (with some stops at traffic lights and few slow down at traffic). It seem the new unit perform better than older PRO model at certain level.
  • New PRO have less amount of roller drag allow it to exceed 65km/h speed with rider's moderate heart rate at 149bpm. (i was chasing and drafting behind some big trucks)
  • On open road i could go up 46km/h speed with my heart rate at 156bpm + headwind, pretty much standard all the way until i reached my work place.
All i can say its easier to pedal without resistance from the roller compare to my older model based on the chart attached (Recorded via Samsung Galaxy 4 watch). Surprisingly this even having a small 320W QR-E PRO unit that performance is equivalent to the same performance + (PAS) pedaling i did on my over weighted BAFANG 750w mid drive that was previously installed on the very same bike before i made the switch. That's awesome!

Chart:
stats_qre_05.jpg

stats_qre_06.jpg

Last edited:
New problem with QR-E PRO (Version 2)....crackling roller/bearing sound.

I think the roller on the new model is not as durable as the old ones, the bearing started to make loud crackling sound. Its sound like bearing have no grease or something. Remember its new and few week old into its usage...daily.
Here the twitter video i posted:

Video:

I've post two email to Jason; one is about the replacement on old QR-E PRO (V1) and another is this latest problem with new V2. Still awaiting for reply.
*Note: Ironically the QR-E PRO (V2) started to performed well and run extremely fast each day. Hhhmmmmmm...

[Evening commute return home] - New QR-E PRO V2 performance stats (human + machine).

This is today evening performance chart as i ride back from office. Its seem each day the new QR-E PRO V2 seems to improve lot better after many cycles. Now its easier to accelerate at peak 45km/h~48km/h in an instant as shown from the latest chart i posted below:

chart_evening_ride (1).jpg

chart_evening_ride (2).jpg

chart_evening_ride (3).jpg

Unfortunately as posted previously the roller bearing on new PRO (V2) couldn't handle the stress of speed and started to make crackling sound. The old PRO (V1) have much tougher roller bearing, does not making crackling sound but instead it started to sound like my RC electric jet engine after 2 years of usage. Now awaiting for the support to provide answer and solution. I think both QR-E have its ups and down. However the PRO have good potential as Ebike kit only if they put more quality control on the manufacturing of the roller mechanism/bearings.

Last edited:
I hope that you can get this latest problem sorted out and Qiroll gives you good product support. Maybe the tiny motor and bearings aren't adequate for demands placed on them, your extensive short and long term experience seems to be indicating that might be the case. I'd be more tempted to buy a Pro version except for the odd choice of battery voltage, cost, and of course your somewhat spotty history with now two units. Of course EBR is replete with stories of failures with virtually all brands and types of ebike systems so Qiroll certainly isn't alone in that regard.

If they build it right this tiny motor can actually performed superbly well for various type of rider and will last longer based on my observation daily commute on two PRO unit. Some how its all about Quality Control (QC) problem that wrecks it. FYI, i wreck a lot of hub wheel bearings because of daily high speed rides but always replaced them with quality SKF steel bearings every 5 years sold at local hardware stores.
  • 1st batch PRO (V1) lasted 2 years of extreme torture, its started to sound like turbine jet after half year but still ride-able (video of my PRO (V1) making of loud turbine sound is on my twitter..i don't post it here). After 2 years later busted electronic circuit.
  • 2nd new batch PRO (V2)...some roller/bearing crunching sound problem a few week of use. That's QC issue.
Recommended solution: If only they make QR-E roller serviceable which allow user to be able to DIY self cleaning, maintenance and able to change bearing by hand and etc like how people able to service bike hubs, bottom brackets and any moving parts then there will be less issue or problem on support side to handle all those faulty or worn out parts. I did contacted Jason but their engineer says the roller hub is non-serviceable, so there's no way to re-grease or change bearing and etc. I've been working with lots of brushless motor and its actually easy to repair however QR-E roller is a fix enclosed unit. Not sure how to open it up.

Battery wise have no problem on H70 300wh pack performed superbly well and lasted daily cycle of everyday use for the pass 2 years. Their charger also good. But i wish if they have manual how to disassemble the battery canister so us pro user can inspect battery health inside my measuring li-on cell health one by one like Bafang Hailong pack.

Some today updates:
Received email reply from support. Yes. Jason already sent me the replacement for my old QR-E PRO unit. Its on its way. I can't wait to revive my white stallion. That bike built for speed due to lighter wheels and lower rolling resistance tires. Also still awaiting reply from their engineer on solution about PRO (V2) crunching sound problem on the roller.

Last edited:
Bike with Qiroll that I'm hoping to do an overnight trip with in a few days. Bold talk given that I'm just starting to walk without a cane and still having significant knee pain. A man has to dream.
IMG_20240627_195955256.jpg

Since my knee isn't well enough to do any long rides I spent some time installing the Qiroll on my old steel frame bike that has a lot of room for easy installation on the seatstays. This 4"/10cm self closing door hinge works excellently well. Even better than the self closing gate hinge that I used before. Good adjustability and no hint of slipping (with the belt sander abrasive belt).

IMG_20240702_114652708_HDR.jpg

Nice Motobecane bike setup, looks like the bike build for long touring trip. I notice you have very long crank arm, based on my experience it does cause me knee pain...so i have shorten to 152mm crank arm length and got me optimal spin without knee stress. My MTB (Bafang) running at 155mm crank length while the white bike MERIDA (Old QR-E Pro at 160mm crank length). Btw i'm a very short rider.

You're right, 175mm crank arms on that bike. My other bikes have 170mm crank arms which seems to be sort of a default standard. I'm not sure how much difference the extra 5mm makes but it does seem like my knee is bent more on the top of the pedaling stroke with that bike. I might check Amazon for an inexpensive two piece hollow triple crankset with 160 or 165mm arms.

Extra note; short crank have advantages having fast pedaling rpm and low amount of leg flex angle at every pedaling radius but you'll loose some leverage getting torque pedaling stroke climbing up hill unless you know how to use granny gearing and adequate ebike motor assists. I got all my shorty double and triple cranks at this website: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/cranks-cranksets

Back